Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
There isn't a 64-bit Windows version of Opera, or any Windows browser except the IE9 beta and some very unsupported Firefox builds. This is mainly because 64-bit browsers can't use plugins written for 32-bit software without jumping through all sorts of hoops, which don't work terrible well as anyone running Firefox on a 64-bit Linux and trying to use Flash can tell you.

There's a 64-bit version of Flash in the works, which may resolve some of this, but the only real reason you'd need a 64-bit version of a browser is if you needed it to directly address more than 2GB of memory, and even the 200-tab Opera crazies don't really need that. 32-bit Windows apps run just fine on 64-bit Windows, by design.

(I feel like I'm talking about the Super Nintendo circa 1991 or something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Well then you're talking to the right guy. I didn't get my SNES until 1996-ish, and loved it like it was the latest exciting technology.

Um, Opera!

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

If anyone is still pulling their hair out because of the non-stop certificate warning errors, I finally found the goddamn solution:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=771982&t=1287535300&page=1#comment7389682

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Buml0r posted:

Well then you're talking to the right guy. I didn't get my SNES until 1996-ish, and loved it like it was the latest exciting technology.

Um, Opera!

'98 here. I actually sat down and tried to choose between the SNES, 64, and PSX. I went with the SNES new for 70$ over a 64 for something like 100 or 120$ new. The 64 later turned out to be my favorite system ever, but I don't regret choosing the SNES.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone tell me where to find the sessions data in Opera 11? It's weird how there isn't an export/import feature.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Zero The Hero posted:

I don't know a single person who runs firefox without at least one extension. I know the tab tree extension is the reason I tried it out, recently. I don't know what your point is, either, but I'm not entirely sure I understood your meaning.

Not to derail, but I would say that a large percentage of FF installs are without extensions because they are run by the parents of people who just tell them, "IE sucks, use FF. Here, let me install it for you." And then they leave the base install.

I see that all the time on PCs of people with children in college.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hexaemeron posted:

Not to derail, but I would say that a large percentage of FF installs are without extensions because they are run by the parents of people who just tell them, "IE sucks, use FF. Here, let me install it for you." And then they leave the base install.

I do that a lot, but a lot of my userbase at work is more than happy with FF out of the box. Heck, I don't know about other OEMs but new HP computers include Firefox in their factory image. It's called something like Firefox - Virtual Browser Edition.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Hexaemeron posted:

I've done this for my mom's computer, but it's a rather old iMac, so I also installed AdBlock so that it wouldn't run so many CPU-eating Flash ads. I suspect this is relatively common.

I'd have her switch to Camino but that would require teaching her to use yet another browser and it's just not worth the effort.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

The gesture UI switcher option is back in the latest builds, along with a handy rightclick menu option to enable/disable the "show full url" thing in the url bar.

Tab stacking is still buggy in some usage cases.

Personally I was just waiting for the gesture UI switcher so I've upgraded again.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

ufarn posted:

Can someone tell me where to find the sessions data in Opera 11? It's weird how there isn't an export/import feature.

Actually you'll find the directory listed in the Opera Menu->help->About Opera for "Saved Sessions".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Actually you'll find the directory listed in the Opera Menu->help->About Opera for "Saved Sessions".
I used about :config instead. :eng99:

Thanks a bunch.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/12/14/rc1

11.0 RC1

There seems to not be any major issues so you might as well upgrade unless you'd rather just be patient and wait until they call it final.

The tab stacking ui looks different now, at least for vertical tabbars. It wastes more space but I can live with it.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 14, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Automatic stacking being out is kind of a bummer because I would rather them develop usability options for auto stacking than to abandon the idea of it (well, "it will not return in the short term").

On the plus side, next/previous tab navigation seems to be as you'd expect it to be (extremely happy about that), undoing a closed tab restores it to its stack, and closing a tab in the middle of a stack doesn't create that phantom compress stack arrow.

Frankly speaking auto stacking with a toggle button would be very livable right now given these fixes.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
We're up to RC3 now. Nothing too exciting. Their feeds are promising final tomorrow.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
11.0 final is out. It's the same build as RC3.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

11.0 final is out. It's the same build as RC3.

So remembering visited links across sessions seems to be disabled for good.

opera:config#VisitedLink|VisitedLinksState options are 0 = disabled completely (visited links always look the same as non-visited links), 1 = same domain only, 2 = version 10 behavior.

poo poo. :( This is a feature I really miss, and in my mind makes usability worse.

e: holy poo poo the new address bar is annoying. e2: At least you can disable it.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 16, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wheany posted:

e: holy poo poo the new address bar is annoying. e2: At least you can disable it.

Huh?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Huh?
Maybe he's referring to the "show full web address in the address field" thing?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

man the new gestures suck! even when i disable the gesture UI, you still have to do the gestures way bigger and way more explicitly for them to register than before. this sucks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Blodskur posted:

Maybe he's referring to the "show full web address in the address field" thing?

Yes.

"Web" forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php :downs:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The default skins don't have large buttons anymore? :argh:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bonus posted:

man the new gestures suck! even when i disable the gesture UI, you still have to do the gestures way bigger and way more explicitly for them to register than before. this sucks.
All works for me like before, and i use really subtle movements. Did you set the threshold down again after upgrading?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 16, 2010

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah i did, to 1, but it's still recognizes way less than it did before. i'll try further lowering the threshold if it's possible. it's not that it doesn't recognize small movements, it's like the movements have to be more perpendicular than before

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bonus posted:

yeah i did, to 1, but it's still recognizes way less than it did before. i'll try further lowering the threshold if it's possible
I can consistently do the up-down refresh gesture in less vertical space than a single line of text in this forum font by setting it to 1. Either you're sloppy in relevant sections, or there's something else broken in your install.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i guess it's just the way i do gestures. i've now noticed that the main problem is that when doing the close tab gesture, the first "down" part has to be way more vertical than before. and i'm used to doing that part at like a 20 degree angle. oh well, i guess i'll get used to it

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Oh cool, let's change pinned tabs to only show the icon and no way to disable this stupid feature. :argh:

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn this off? I can't find any way to.

Edit: looks like I can stack the pinned tab on another tab and it'll expand like I want it to, so I'll use that as a workaround for now. Hooray dead empty tabs.
Edit 2: scratch that, this makes new tabs stack with them if it's active. WELP.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 16, 2010

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anybody know how to turn off the dimming of the non-domain part of the URL?

Also we've now got Extensions, Opera Unite, Widgets, and UserJS. And the only one I use is a single UserJS script.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I think extensions have potential. I've personally always found Unite and Widgets useless. I can see the utility in UserJS, but I've never found any need for it. Opera's suffering from feature bloat, but unlike most other software, it's not in your face or particularly impactful (is that a word?) on performance, thankfully.

Edit: gibbed, I haven't really found that to be the case. What do you mean? I've really found nothing 'ruined' that can't be fixed by some tweaking. My biggest gripes were with keyboard shortcuts, but they've maintained a 9.2 compatibility profile, so that's not an issue.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 16, 2010

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

It's certainly suffering feature fuckery though, since the release of 9.x anyway.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

gibbed posted:

It's certainly suffering feature fuckery though, since the release of 9.x anyway.

I know us development types probably aren't the typical user, but I know I'd be perfectly happy with nothing more than rendering engine improvements. All these UI changes seem to come with a lot of ups and downs, so everyone turns out unhappy about something.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

agggh these new mouse gestures!! im filled with impotent rage

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Bonus posted:

agggh these new mouse gestures!! im filled with impotent rage

Set the threshold up to something like 30. Lowering it doesn't really help things for some reason.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Edit: gibbed, I haven't really found that to be the case. What do you mean? I've really found nothing 'ruined' that can't be fixed by some tweaking. My biggest gripes were with keyboard shortcuts, but they've maintained a 9.2 compatibility profile, so that's not an issue.
Easiest example: pinned tabs in 10.0. No way to go back to the old style. Large button images also seem to be gone but this seems to be skin-specific (default skins no longer have large ones? what happened to scaling?).
With 9.0 they changed how dialogs work so they are not modal, this isn't so much of a problem but how it's now is terrible (inlined into the page).

I wouldn't have a problem with these changes if they would have stuck to their old philosophy of leaving it up to the user how they wanted things.

I can adapt, but I really don't want to be forced to stop using my favorite browser in favor of something else that doesn't poo poo on what you like with new releases.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Is the NoAds extension better than the Fanboy urlfilter.ini and element hider .css?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gibbed posted:

With 9.0 they changed how dialogs work so they are not modal, this isn't so much of a problem but how it's now is terrible (inlined into the page).

The old dialogs would not let you change tabs. But yeah, I don't like non-native looking/feeling UI elements either.

I like tab stacking, I think. At least at home, where I often have dozens of tabs open, but related to each other.

I don't like visual gestures, but thankfully that can be turned off. I've had no problems with gestures not being registered.

I really don't like the new address bar that "hides the complexity of long web addresses." (btw, http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=kitten is a "complex" address that is shown as "http://www.flickr.com/search/", while http://www.flickr.com/photos/cubagallery/4220856234/ is not a "complex address")

I also don't like the Opera not remembering the pages I've visited across sessions, but I don't remember anyone else complaining about that and this is at least the third time I've complained about it in this thread. :(

e:

ColdPie posted:

Anybody know how to turn off the dimming of the non-domain part of the URL?

Don't know if that's possible, but this is actually a feature I like in the new address bar. As well as the security report you get when clicking the icon.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 16, 2010

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

That security report has been there for awhile, maybe under a different button before.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Opera to Phone owns.

Are there any other extensions worth getting?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

can anyone log into ebay? cause i can't!! when i click any link that goes to my.ebay.co.uk it just doesn't go through and nothing happens. if i manually go to my.ebay.co.uk i just get a blank page

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

Opera to Phone owns.

Are there any other extensions worth getting?

I quite like the crossing window - open links in background one. Snap links or something its called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wheany posted:

Don't know if that's possible, but this is actually a feature I like in the new address bar. As well as the security report you get when clicking the icon.

What do you like about it? There's absolutely no benefit to anyone who knows how a URL is composed, and it just makes reading the rest more difficult.