Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

Yeah, I think they are a bit different. Be that as it may, I tried the usual deleting/unsubscribing/resubscribing thing and it didn't work. Not sure what else to do.

Weird... I've asked a friend in the US to see what he can see in iTunes. You can subscribe in iTunes if you go to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast and enter the RSS url.

e: my buddy in Texas has gotten back to me, apparently because the location of the audio files was changed, iTunes freaks out (typical) but what I describe above works to download the files. I guess a bit more testing is required to see if all the iTunes links will work, but better to get it changed now rather than further down the road.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

krushgroove posted:

Weird... I've asked a friend in the US to see what he can see in iTunes. You can subscribe in iTunes if you go to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast and enter the RSS url.

:( That didn't work either.

In other podcast news, there's a new The Smartest Man in the World up. I think it popped up yesterday but only noticed it this morning. Funny, but more of an interesting one. It's always fun hearing what Proops has to say.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Proops and Fitzsimmons are the only "one dude with a mic" podcasts I can stand.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

The Joe Rogan podcast is hilarious, most of the time for unintentional reasons. For example the most recent episode is Joe and Duncan Trussell in an airplane screaming about bombs and terrorism and pissing other passengers off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Brekelefuw posted:

I enjoyed every second of this interview more than last week's Bro-fest with that MMA guy. Holy poo poo was that guy horrible.

Yeah, I just avoided that one. I mean, I KIND OF get the connection between nerds and MMA, but it seems like it's a bad fit for an interview.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I just avoided that one. I mean, I KIND OF get the connection between nerds and MMA, but it seems like it's a bad fit for an interview.

I thought it was a good episode, besides not really knowing or caring about MMA. One thing that sets it apart from other Nerdist podcasts is that the host genuinely doesn't know much about MMA either (and in fact keeps getting the various organizations mixed up), so he asks good questions. I was going to skip it myself, but the stories about the fighter spending his teenage years drinking Dr. Pepper and making Doom levels was pretty funny, they get off on a brief tangent about tentacles in anime, and even talk about Bruce Lee for a bit.

I've been burning through some old Sound of Young America podcasts at night, and what generally happens is I fall asleep about 15 minutes in. That's not a knock on the show, and if it's something really interesting I pay attention, but since I seem to be training myself to fall asleep to the sound of Jesse Thorn's voice, I can't listen to those shows in the car.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Flying-Chip posted:

The Joe Rogan podcast is hilarious, most of the time for unintentional reasons. For example the most recent episode is Joe and Duncan Trussell in an airplane screaming about bombs and terrorism and pissing other passengers off.

This has quickly become my favorite podcast. You forgot to mention they had some edibles before getting on the plane.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Reggie Watts is unbelievably talented, and this Mike Stefano guy on WTF is super interesting.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

bananasinpajamas posted:

Proops and Fitzsimmons are the only "one dude with a mic" podcasts I can stand.

The title of Proops' podcast is extremely accurate. I can listen to that guy go on and on for hours.

I try to imagine him telling really lame or old joke and think about how he'd do it. For example, if he did "Why did the chicken cross the road?" it would take aproximately 27 minutes and you'd need master's degrees in english, history, and agraculture to understand it all. And it would still be hilarious.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I finally listened to Who Charted, and I actually enjoyed it a lot. I think they need to change the format a bit, but I know they will work on stuff as they go along. One thing it did really well though was increase my crush on Kulap. She is adorable.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

This week's guest on Pop My Culture is...Jimmy Pardo! And the latest WTF has Blaine Capatch, a comedy "legend" in some circles.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think I've got all the kinks worked out with my iTunes feed, but need some more testers in the US...this isn't a cheap plea for subscribers since iTunes doesn't tell me how many people subscribe, but if I can have a couple of Americans subscribe to us in iTunes and let me know if you can download the episodes or not, I'd really appreciate it! The iTunes link is here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/digital-porridge/id407218366

So far I have someone in Texas that can download everything, and someone in the northeast that can't.

I'd appreciate any feedback from people that don't know me as well, so if you want to PM or email me any thoughts, all the contact info is on the site at https://www.digitalporridge.net details for subscribing in various ways are there too.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I can see more episodes than yesterday, but it's still doing the same thing for me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
dammit...same is happening to a friend in Alabama. I just don't get iTunes :/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

krushgroove posted:

dammit...same is happening to a friend in Alabama. I just don't get iTunes :/

Latest episode downloaded all the way for me. Plays all the way to the end. NYC.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah. Well. Now I'm just confused. iTunes is crazy about some things.

Would you mind PMing me with any feedback?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When it comes to Boston comedians, nothing beats

"Look At Me" with Blake Wexler.
http://lookatmepod.wordpress.com

Every week, Blake interviews a new person in the Boston Comedy scene. The intro is annoying but he really, really lets his guests talk and it's clear he's passionate about comedy.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I maintain that Billy West is the funniest sounding person in the world. And not even when he does voices. His normal speaking voice is a cartoon character.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm liking WTF more and more but I cannot stand his intro. What's the first thing he yells? It sounds like "popped again!" or "bust a thing!"

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
^^^It's "Lock the gates" I thought. Now that you mention it, I just heard it, and I think it says "Blocked Again". I assume it's a quote from a movie.^^^

Strange Matter posted:

I maintain that Billy West is the funniest sounding person in the world. And not even when he does voices. His normal speaking voice is a cartoon character.

"Hey Larry, gaining a little weight there?"

"Eh, I'll gently caress it off!"

This was the greatest thing Billy West ever said, after talking about meeting Larry Fine's(Three Stooges) sister . I love it when he straight up does the Larry voice. This was from the Kevin Pollack chat show, BTW.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 16, 2010

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

NecronSchmecron posted:

^^^It's "Lock the gates" I thought. Now that you mention it, I just heard it, and I think it says "Blocked Again". I assume it's a quote from a movie.^^^

It's from "Almost Famous". It was one of Marc Maron's lines, he plays the angry concert promoters who gets mad after the band leaves when they get electrocuted by the microphone.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective! Now I'm going to track down their appearances on The Moth.

Was not feeling the first Who Charted or Glitter in the Garbage (the opening was great, but didn't like the character pieces).

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Rudy Riot posted:

Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective! Now I'm going to track down their appearances on The Moth.

I had trouble finding that The Moth episode as a whole, but found the telling of "Franny's Last Ride". There's another story called "the Junkie and the Monk" to be found through googling, but I don't have the URL handy.

http://huffduffer.com/norelpref/2757

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I had trouble finding that The Moth episode as a whole, but found the telling of "Franny's Last Ride". There's another story called "the Junkie and the Monk" to be found through googling, but I don't have the URL handy.

http://huffduffer.com/norelpref/2757

Thanks, man! I think I found the entire episode also, but can't check it while I'm at work:

http://www.themoth.org/radio_204

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I found that page, but couldn't find a "Play" or download button, not sure if this is some Adblock foolishness on my part.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I found that page, but couldn't find a "Play" or download button, not sure if this is some Adblock foolishness on my part.

Ya, I don't see a play button either. Your links were good at least.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rudy Riot posted:

Was not feeling the first Who Charted or Glitter in the Garbage (the opening was great, but didn't like the character pieces).
I watched Last Comic Standing for about 10 minutes and Mike Destefano was one of the guys I saw. Shows like that so poorly represent a guy like him (or most comics in general now that I think about it), I hated the way they played up his whole "I'm a New York tough guy!" act. But then I listed to WTF and realized it's not at all an act, that's just him being himself, or as much himself as they'd allow him to be on television. I was so happy to hear him talking about the show and how much he hated it.

The second Glitter in the Garbage was hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, especially the part where the waiter reads back the Barbaras' drink order.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Rudy Riot posted:

Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective!

Yeah, he's great. There's another Moth ep that totally put me in tears about a guy in New York who was stabbed repeatedly by some gangsters as an initiation. A total "Nicest guy in the world gets poo poo on by fate" incident.

The Mike Birbiglia Moth story about how he had an intensely severe sleepwalking problem was insane as well.

Unfortunately I don't know off-hand which epsiodes they were, but you could probably find them easily based on my descriptions.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

The Mike Birbiglia Moth story about how he had an intensely severe sleepwalking problem was insane as well.

I was lucky enough to see his off-broadway show in NYC about this condition. It was astounding. He even took the time to take the piss out of a woman who was using her cell phone in the middle of the show. If he ever comes through, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Just listened to episode 2 'glitter in the garbage'. Definitely more high-minded and conceptual than earwolf's other programs, but any show that has an intro about how "Maya Angelou is an rear end in a top hat" deserves a place in my podcast list.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Seriously, I think it's the foamy, verge-of-vomiting belches that turn everyone off.

Can the new gimmick on PEC be the Michael MacDonald Game? I would pay for a podcast that consisted of an hour of that game.

I also completely lost it when they said Lincoln freed the slaves to get a better basketball team.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 17, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Yeah, he's great. There's another Moth ep that totally put me in tears about a guy in New York who was stabbed repeatedly by some gangsters as an initiation. A total "Nicest guy in the world gets poo poo on by fate" incident.

What's even more hosed up is that dude's other story. I'm not going to spoil it, but it takes place only a few weeks after this said indecent and is comparibaly hosed up.

Subscribe to The Moth Podcast. It's not always comedy, but provides some of the most interesting stories.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
DLM this week was pretty good, but it had the hosts of the all new Earwolf podcasts, which i've downloaded and begun listening to.

So far i've heard both episodes of 'Who Charted?', a roundtable discussion of the top five songs, movies, tv shows, etc. on the charts. Very very funny so far. Nobody super recognizable so far, though, but I'm liking it a lot.

"Horcruxes are not people. Oh Howard, you have much to learn." Kumail Nanjiani is especially funny.

webster876 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 17, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kumail was hilarious, I was very tired while listening to it but I'm pretty sure this is going to be the new podcast I look forward to every week. I liked the steve agee one too.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I'm looking forward to Earwolf's first video podcast entitled "Kulap Takes a Shower".

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
The host of "Glitter in the Garbage", another new Earwolf podcast, is really annoying me, but he's also ripping on "The Middle", so I feel a strange kinship wish him. We will see how this works out.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I couldn't make it through the first ep of GITG. The guys voice was just awful, and opening the first edition of your podcast going on and on about Patricia Heaton was just boring to me.

I hated Duncan Trussell's voice on the Lavender Hour at first, but I stuck through and it doesn't bother me at all anymore, so maybe things will change for GITG (assuming he can hook me with a good topic).

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I didn't make it through GITG. Maybe I'll give it another chance, but Who Charted seems like it's right up my ally. Interesting format.

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I'm looking forward to Earwolf's first video podcast entitled "Kulap Takes a Shower".

:stare:

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

webster876 posted:

Very very funny so far. Nobody super recognizable so far, though, but I'm liking it a lot.

A podcast without a celebrity who has at the very least been on TV? Can you even CALL it a podcast at that point?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A podcast without a celebrity who has at the very least been on TV? Can you even CALL it a podcast at that point?

The reason why nobody liked your favorite podcast isn't because it didn't have celebrities on it.:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Majorian posted:

The reason why nobody liked your favorite podcast isn't because it didn't have celebrities on it.:ssh:

What? Everyone like's Uhh Yeah Dude, and it has two celebrities, son of Night Court actor John Larroquette, Jonathan Larroquette and Britney Spear's co-star in Crossroads Seth Romatelli.

• Locked thread