Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikonz
May 12, 2009
I've been using an MX Revulution for about three years now. It still works fine, the battery in it is great. I charge it like once a month. Having the side buttons is nice and I paid I think $39 on Amazon with free shipping on Cyber Monday with a $10 MIR. I messed up though because on Black Friday it was like $15.99 and I thought that because it was an online purchase, I'd get a better deal on Cyber Monday. I was wrong. $30 was still totally worth it. On Tuesday the price went up to like $76, and by the end of the week it was back the the usual $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

Are there any other mice like this?

(Micrososft Arc mouse)

Seeing a Logitech Illuminated KB got me interested in arranging my desk space in a super-slim minimalist aesthetic, and this is instantly the first mouse I thought of to go with it.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
My FIANCE would like a new mouse, she tried this one out in the shop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-Wirele...4977cf7fd677498

Yeah, its very cheap, but she liked the oversized nature of it. Can anyone recommend me a more substantial mouse for the money? She only really uses her PC to read the forums and shop online.

So, a large wireless mouse thats not cheap rear end.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I've had my Logitech G500 for a few days now and I'll say it's more of an evolution than a revolution over my previous G5. It has the same shape, grip texture, and weight adjustment as the G5 although they went with a somewhat more tacky color design on the top of it. Having three thumb buttons and relocating the dpi adjustment buttons to the left of the left click button are nice changes. The buttons have a crisper feel to them as well. The scroll wheel is nice too but I'm still trying to get used to the free-wheel mode for fast page scrolling.

The 5700dpi is overkill for any game I tried it on but I only play FPS and RPG games mostly anyway so I don't know what you would need that high of a dpi resolution for. 2000dpi is more than enough for me and I still use a mouse pad. The only critique I can think of is that it's not cordless like the G700 but I didn't have a problem with the cord on my G5. I don't have to worry about wireless hiccups or battery recharges/replacements either so it's a not a big deal. If you have an old G5 and you want to upgrade, I'd recommend it.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

spasticColon posted:

I've had my Logitech G500 for a few days now and I'll say it's more of an evolution than a revolution over my previous G5. It has the same shape, grip texture, and weight adjustment as the G5 although they went with a somewhat more tacky color design on the top of it. Having three thumb buttons and relocating the dpi adjustment buttons to the left of the left click button are nice changes. The buttons have a crisper feel to them as well. The scroll wheel is nice too but I'm still trying to get used to the free-wheel mode for fast page scrolling.

The 5700dpi is overkill for any game I tried it on but I only play FPS and RPG games mostly anyway so I don't know what you would need that high of a dpi resolution for. 2000dpi is more than enough for me and I still use a mouse pad. The only critique I can think of is that it's not cordless like the G700 but I didn't have a problem with the cord on my G5. I don't have to worry about wireless hiccups or battery recharges/replacements either so it's a not a big deal. If you have an old G5 and you want to upgrade, I'd recommend it.
Don't worry about counts per inch, you would have to play on an insanely high sensitivity, easily five, probably more times than is advisable for even a fast paced FPS game, to ever benefit from anything that ridiculously high. My mouse's sensor can do 3500 cpi resolution but I set it to 1800 because that's all I need even though I use a higher than normal sensitivity of something like 30 cm/360 for FPS games. What happens on a very high resolution sensor is unless you are ACTUALLY using every one of those 'counts' per inch, your software will throw away every other or every third or something counts, and the increased resolution will not do anything for you, accuracy or smoothness wise.

I definitely suggest continuing to use a mouse pad even with a fancy new mouse in general. I use a thin, large soft pad. They cost 10$ or something for a great one from xtracpads, unless you want a steelseries logo on it or something. Makes the mouse glide much better and evens out the surface.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'll just throw it out there that while I loved the G5, I wasn't a fan of the G500 at all, for one single reason. The rubber around the outside feels like sandpaper. Apparently they did this so that the rubber would feel good to people whose hands sweat profusely, because those people complained about the G5's finer grained rubber coating feeling slimy after their hands got sweaty. I personally have never had an issue with that and my G5 has felt amazing ever since I first plugged it into my computer several years ago, but that's what makes the world go round I guess.

All I'm really saying is that you should probably play around with one before you buy it first. And that goes for any mouse, really.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I bought a G500 on the weekend because I was getting annoyed by my constantly double-clicking and mis-clicking DeathAdder. Yeah, that side plastic/rubber is a little annoying at first, but my skin was extremely dry. I lotioned my hands and suddenly it wasn't a problem. Other than that, I'm still getting used to the comparatively tiny side buttons and the different feel and sound of the wheel. But, the weight's good without the extra cartridges, and the shape's still good coming from a DeathAdder (I grip mice somewhere between a "palm" and "claw" style). It's also more pixel-precise and less jumpy than the DA was, which I really like.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Some dillweed posted:

I bought a G500 on the weekend because I was getting annoyed by my constantly double-clicking and mis-clicking DeathAdder. Yeah, that side plastic/rubber is a little annoying at first, but my skin was extremely dry. I lotioned my hands and suddenly it wasn't a problem. Other than that, I'm still getting used to the comparatively tiny side buttons and the different feel and sound of the wheel. But, the weight's good without the extra cartridges, and the shape's still good coming from a DeathAdder (I grip mice somewhere between a "palm" and "claw" style). It's also more pixel-precise and less jumpy than the DA was, which I really like.

sounds like you got a faulty mouse with the death adder, which sucks. i've never seen mine do that. that being said, different mouse shapes for different holding styles and hand sizes, so its good you found a better shape for you

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

It wasn't faulty when I got it. It's about 3 years old and just started getting bad in the past few months. This is also apparently a fairly widespread problem with the DeathAdder which Razer has attempted to fix with the more recent firmware releases, but it's a mechanical issue in my case and for several others as well.

Shape-wise, the DA was good, but the G500 doesn't really seem any worse to me. The little groove for the thumb is nice, too.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 8, 2010

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I recently got a G500 too. My previous mouse was an MX518.

For the most part, I like it. I'm currently using 5400 dpi for no apparent reason in TF2. Yes, I know it's not neccessary, yes my in game sensitivity is extremely low to compensate, whatever. I also like the positioning of the dpi buttons.

I don't like the texture on the sides of the mouse, it feels slightly 'greasy' even though it isn't. I don't like the shape of the thumb groove. It's more shallow and less 'agressive' than the MX518 which makes not as easy to pick the mouse up, IMO. I also don't like the left and right ability on the mouse wheel--not only is it a feature I'll pretty much never use, it makes the mouse wheel rattle when you pick up the mouse and shake it back and forth. Which is pretty annoying when you use a low sensitivity in games and you're flinging it back and forth constantly. The extra side button is also a waste on me because I'll continue using the "back" button for VoIP applications.

I guess other than that, it's okay. It tracks great on my icemat. I have some replacement feet coming in the mail from logitech so I think I'm actually going to try and pull the mouse apart and "mod" the mousewheel so it doesn't rattle around. We'll see how that goes.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

Are there any other mice like this?

(Micrososft Arc mouse)

Seeing a Logitech Illuminated KB got me interested in arranging my desk space in a super-slim minimalist aesthetic, and this is instantly the first mouse I thought of to go with it.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/microsoft-arc-touch-mouse-seriously-finally-officially-announ/

The new version of it? Ships in a week or two.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The Middle click switch on the g500 is unbelievably lovely, I still love the mouse but I literally swiped the mouse with the side of my hand with barely any strength and it fell upside down onto a table about a foot lower than the top of my desk and it broke. Got a new one from logitech anyway but that kind of poo poo is somewhat shocking considering back in my younger days I flat out threw my mx510 at the wall with all my strength on multiple occasions and it still works.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Anyone know of any decent mice with the side buttons on top of each other like the Microsoft X series? I've got an X8 and love it, but I'd prefer something with a non-metal wheel in the middle as my finger can get a bit sore after a while if I use it extensively.

Edit: I don't really care whether its wired or not - half the time I only remember its a wireless mouse if they battery is low and it starts flashing at me.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

When I got my G500, I came here to tell everyone how great it is, which I still stand by. In terms of features and construction for price, I really don't think it can be beat (I love the free-wheel and the texture).

The problem set in after using it for about 8 months. I'm starting to have some pretty severe wrist pain, especially when I grip the mouse for normal use. I used a MX518 for years with no discomfort at all, and my usage has gone down if anything.

I think the problem is that I have really large hands, and the mouse is too narrow where it dips in for the thumb shelf. I often find myself trying to grip the mouse by the wider part of the shelf right next to the desk.

Any gorilla handed people out there? What is your mouse of choice? I really don’t like Razor’s style or build quality, and I want a free scroll wheel. I wish I could be sure the G700 would be better, but I'm guessing it would be more pain.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

Anyone know of any decent mice with the side buttons on top of each other like the Microsoft X series? I've got an X8 and love it, but I'd prefer something with a non-metal wheel in the middle as my finger can get a bit sore after a while if I use it extensively.
The G500 has a third side button that's sort of in-between and slightly below the Back and Forward buttons, and the size and placement of the buttons makes it almost as good as a stacked vertical arrangement for me. The G700 has stacked side buttons in a 2x2 array (two rows of two buttons). There's also the Razer Naga with an overabundance of 12 side buttons, but... Yeah.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I did a comparison and the grip texture on my G500 is rougher than on my G5 but I don't have a problem with it but apparently some people do. The thumb button layout does look better on the G700 but its wireless meaning you have to worry about recharges and potential wireless dropouts. The $90 pricetag doesn't sit well with me either especially since I got my G500 on sale for $35. The way I see it, different people are going to like a different gaming mouse. Some people seem be like "You can have my MX518 when you pry it from my cold dead hands." I knew the MX518 was popular but it seems to have a cult following in a way. I may get one if they go on sale just out of curiosity.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I did a comparison and the grip texture on my G500 is rougher than on my G5 but I don't have a problem with it but apparently some people do. The thumb button layout does look better on the G700 but its wireless meaning you have to worry about recharges and potential wireless dropouts. The $90 pricetag doesn't sit well with me either especially since I got my G500 on sale for $35. The way I see it, different people are going to like a different gaming mouse. Some people seem be like "You can have my MX518 when you pry it from my cold dead hands." I knew the MX518 was popular but it seems to have a cult following in a way. I may get one if they go on sale just out of curiosity.

To be honest, the wireless on the G700 probably doesn't mean anything if its as good as the wireless on the Sidewinder X8. And either way when the batteries get low you can hook the cord on (probably magnetically) and it'll act like a normal wired mouse. The X8 would be perfect if it wasn't for the mouse wheel being all metal like it is. :(

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Newegg has a big ol' Holiday Sale. Included is the Logitech G9x for $63.99 - $5.00 with promocode EMCZNZR85 - $30.00 Mail-in Rebate and free shipping, so $28 after rebate.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I used the G5 before my G500. I prefer the G500 after a little bit of use. The G5 had a slightly more organic feel to grasp, but the G500 has the great switcher allowing you to change between free scrolling and ratcheted scrolling. They're both really great mice. I do wish the G500 was a tiny bit more curled around to cater to the right handed user like the G5 was, but they're both awesome. I refuse to use any lower level mouse anymore, because they feel loving weird and being able to switch your mouse sensitivity on the fly is amazing for strategy games (I play a lot of SC2).

I also found the G5 to be fairly durable, through 2-3 years of use. I am an alcoholic, and even through my many drunken rages and my many spilled beverages, it endured. Then it lost a bit of responsiveness (I think due to software problems), and I slammed my fist into it in a drunken rage. And that was it. :( I'd still be using it, otherwise. Both awesome mice, again, I just wish the G500 had kept the G5's shape while adding the buttons.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 16, 2010

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

I have a logitech G9x and it's served me well so far. I think my mouse pad has a little too much friction on it for FPS gaming so I ordered the steelseries gaming mouse pad for $11 on newegg.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Fatal Error posted:

Sounds like you got a faulty mouse with the death adder, which sucks. I've never seen mine do that.

Mine had build quality issues just after one year, such as the left mouse button doesn't response when I lay my palm on it and making this loud crunching noise every time I clicked. I will Razer credit for paying attention to customers. I made a comment about it on my face book and just bought a Sidewinder X5 when someone from their customer support email me about my problem. Now I am getting a replacement Deathadder from Razer in addition to the X5 that is coming from Amazon.

I'll probably keep using the X5 as my main mouse. It's much more comfortable on my hand than the Deathadder was for my palm style and the drivers are nicer than the Razer ones.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Fatal Error posted:

Never change your windows sensitivity from 6/11 (the exact center) as this causes weird problems with your mouse's smoothness (can be proven with a mouse input reader, although the effect is very small)

'Enhance Pointer Precision' is windows maccel, in general unless you love it I'd turn it off and turn on maccel in a game where you use it (Good Quake3 players use this??)
Well, later (for real)
1: Do you have anything to back this up? Sounds like BS.

2: That's an odd recommendation, and reverse of what I like. I like mouse acceleration enhance pointer precision when using a cursor like in Windows and RTS games, but don't like it in first person games.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 17, 2010

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Dominoes posted:

2: That's an odd recommendation, and reverse of what I like. I like mouse acceleration enhance pointer precision when using a cursor like in Windows and RTS games, but don't like it in first person games.

Windows mouse sensitivity uses integer math, for obvious reasons. Games with DirectInput/raw input don't suffer this problem.

Whether or not/wherever you like acceleration, nobody likes EPP. It's horrible. Threshold based acceleration just isn't useful.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Dominoes posted:

This is completely known, and can be proven with an input reader. Nerds have gone aspergers over this many, many times and know about it. You can also use 3/11 which isn't 1:1 but doesn't cause it to be uneven I think (not sure about this)

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

sixide posted:

Windows mouse sensitivity uses integer math, for obvious reasons. Games with DirectInput/raw input don't suffer this problem.

Whether or not/wherever you like acceleration, nobody likes EPP. It's horrible. Threshold based acceleration just isn't useful.

Yeah, mouse acceleration is completely preference and I accept that. The problem is, windows' pointer precision is kinda silly so you might want to use a driver's accel or a game's accel (you can also modify windows' acceleration function by modifying the registry, but, well, that's complicated as hell)

edit: for those that play really really old games (quake 2, counter strike 1.6) know that regardless of whether or not it's enabled, those games will automatically call Windows XP-Windows 7's mouse acceleration function, turning it on regardless. To fix this, you need to download a registry editor that sets windows' acceleration function to do nothing. This doesn't apply to pre windows XP operating systems because although the game called these functions, they also set it to be static so that although it was on the mouse speed was never variable, just always doubled.

edit2: the reg fix actually comes with a mouse input reader, if you're a huge nerd: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1846538

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 18, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

sixide posted:

Fatal Error posted:

This is completely known, and can be proven with an input reader. Nerds have gone aspergers over this many, many times and know about it. You can also use 3/11 which isn't 1:1 but doesn't cause it to be uneven I think (not sure about this)
Well, turned off "use OS native drivers" in logitech profile and set the os sensitivity to 1/2.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about this mouse? I need a rubber grib and dont know if all those buttons can be customized in OS X...

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/sentineladvance/images/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fatal Error posted:

Yeah, mouse acceleration is completely preference and I accept that.

Mouse acceleration is objectively bad and will make you worse at everything. Even if you were some kind of superhuman who always knew exactly when he broke each acceleration threshold and thus what distance to move the mouse on that particular move and had the muscle control to stop his mouse pixel-perfect while accelerated, it would still be a handicap because you lose precision while accelerated.

The only situation I can think of where someone might want to stick with mouse acceleration on a mouse is if they know they're going to die tomorrow and won't be alive long enough to adjust to not having it. That or if your mouse is constrained to a 5" wide space for some reason. Even then I would probably not want to use it.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 19, 2010

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Mouse acceleration is objectively bad and will make you worse at everything. Even if you were some kind of superhuman who always knew exactly when he broke each acceleration threshold and thus what distance to move the mouse on that particular move and had the muscle control to stop his mouse pixel-perfect while accelerated, it would still be a handicap because you lose precision while accelerated.

Threshold acceleration is almost always reviled, but mouse acceleration is so common it's almost ubiquitous in Quake 3/Quake Live. I'm sure in games that penalize you for turning (Counter-strike?) it would be a handicap, but mostly it's an incredibly useful tool.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

sixide posted:

Threshold acceleration is almost always reviled, but mouse acceleration is so common it's almost ubiquitous in Quake 3/Quake Live. I'm sure in games that penalize you for turning (Counter-strike?) it would be a handicap, but mostly it's an incredibly useful tool.

It's used by the best quake players I think mostly because you can't really LG super well with ultra high sensitivity but you can't rocket jump or turn around super fast in those really teleporter/corner heavy maps with low/medium-low sensitivity so they need a wide variety for the huge amount of poo poo they do

another thing you can do in quake that's rare is set individual sensitivities for each weapon, but that seems even harder to learn

I haven't heard of anyone using mouse accel at high level in any other game

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I used to like my MX518 until I realized that it was the cause of an annoying high-pitched noise.

Woah, that's crazy. I've had this mouse for over 2 years and never noticed that. How can it bother you, though? I couldn't hear it until my ear was right next to the mouse. You must have crazy good hearing.

Anyway, another vote for the 518. Had it for ages and never had a single problem, perfect accuracy, great resolution and response, cheap, totally comfortable, basically has no downsides as far as I'm concerned.

Then again I have an extreme irrational hatred for all things wireless so I completely ignore any wireless mice. They may be good, but it'll probably be another 20 years before I finally get a wireless mouse again.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Here's another really nerdy tool for those who care, if you're switching to a mouse with different CPI and want to keep your sensitivity in FPS games, or if you want to compare yours to someone else's (or see it in universal terms, 'cm/360'). Also shows Windows' sensitivity multipliers. I think I have aspergers. http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

No idea what m_yaw is.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Fatal Error posted:

No idea what m_yaw is.

All the id games (and those based on them) have m_pitch/m_yaw scaling factors that are applied. Source engine too.

Fatal Error posted:

I haven't heard of anyone using mouse accel at high level in any other game

This might also be due to the fact that Q3 (and later) have the only decent mouse acceleration support. Source's is decent but the cvars are kind of weird and aren't nearly as easy to set up. It also doesn't make much sense to use it in an RTS or something where you never need varying levels of precision.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fatal Error posted:

Here's another really nerdy tool for those who care, if you're switching to a mouse with different CPI and want to keep your sensitivity in FPS games, or if you want to compare yours to someone else's (or see it in universal terms, 'cm/360'). Also shows Windows' sensitivity multipliers. I think I have aspergers. http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

No idea what m_yaw is.

m_yaw affects the horizontal orientation of the mouse (m_pitch is the vertical orientation). I don't think it has any direct interpretation but it acts as a multiplier for sensitivity, so your effective sens will be doubled if you double it or halved if you halve it. Unless your game of choice has a minimum sensitivity setting just change sens instead.

Some people like to have a lower m_pitch than m_yaw for "greater control" on the vertical, because they feel that it makes it easier to get headshots. I do not recommend this.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I got my Microsoft Arc Touch in the mail today.

IT loving RULES. Its retardedly light, but not in a bad way, and is really ergonomic despite lacking the huge stupid undulating surfaces of my MX518.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well my RAT 7 laser died and its unreliable not tracking nor responding in a consistent manner.

Do not buy the RAT series mice, they are examples of why a company like logitec with its experience is worth the cash. There are too many rookie mistakes in the design/build quality for it to be anything more than a Autobot on your desk.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Well my RAT 7 laser died and its unreliable not tracking nor responding in a consistent manner.

Do not buy the RAT series mice, they are examples of why a company like logitec with its experience is worth the cash. There are too many rookie mistakes in the design/build quality for it to be anything more than a Autobot on your desk.

Well, that kinda sucks. My friend's RAT 7 had the same problem and I keep hearing complaints from people. Anyone here happy with theirs? I haven't even had a chance to try one out yet.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

There are too many rookie mistakes in the design/build quality for it to be anything more than a Autobot on your desk.

I guess I don't know how the last year or so has been but mouse manufacturers, even MS/Logitech, have been making those same rookie mistakes since the beginning of time. Unfortunately mice are one product you can't buy and expect to not have fatal flaws.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I managed to fix my G5 by taking it apart and cleaning the dust off the optical sensor for the scroll wheel, (yea wtf in design as opposed to a mechanical switch)and besides some bunged up feet that I replaced by gluing on some Teflon washers it works like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Not an Anthem posted:

I got my Microsoft Arc Touch in the mail today.

IT loving RULES. Its retardedly light, but not in a bad way, and is really ergonomic despite lacking the huge stupid undulating surfaces of my MX518.

You actually game with that thing? :aaa: