Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone know how to reset the time the box scans for new files without re adding all the sources?

Not at the moment, finer granularity with source scanning is coming in a future firmware update.

VERTiG0 posted:

Should I bother upgrading my network to wireless N, or will this thing handle a bridged wireless G network just fine?

If you'll just be streaming youtube/etc from the internet and SD content from a file server, you should be fine. Any more than that though, and you really should go wired if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone know how to reset the time the box scans for new files without re adding all the sources?

I believe starting a manual scan will reset the time to whenever you kick it off manually.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Next-Gen posted:

I believe starting a manual scan will reset the time to whenever you kick it off manually.

Excellent, I'll test that tonight as I did a manually scan a few hours before the automated one. The auto one kicks off at like 8:30pm, that's no good for anything that was new over the night and we start watching at 8:00!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone know if it wakes up to do a scan while in "sleep" mode? That's the power state I usually leave it in.

Man I cannot wait for netflix support for this, I really like using the boxee. It's just so nice being able to finally play .mkv files on something hooked up to the tv :allears:

Can someone recommend me the best DVD ripper app for TV shows (OSX) that will create decent splits of the episodes with proper filenames etc? If that even exists.. I'd like to put more of my TV DVDs on my NAS to watch this way. I haven't kept up with what software is decent for that.

Also are there any decent blu-ray ripping solutions now? (I'd need an external blu-ray drive for the mac so this probably won't happen anytime soon).

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

devmd01 posted:

If you'll just be streaming youtube/etc from the internet and SD content from a file server, you should be fine. Any more than that though, and you really should go wired if at all possible.

gently caress, that means running like 200 feet of cable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I tried out playing 1080p mkvs over 802.11n and it ran just fine.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
So I'm one of those jerkasses that watches a lot of anime and foreign films with subtitles. I have a WDTV Live right now but it does a crappy job on the stylized rear end/SSA type subtitles since it doesn't show the fonts or colors. Plus it doesn't really handle multiple subtitles at once like if there are translator notes or some signs being translated at the same time as dialogue choosing to only display one or the other. How does the Boxee Box handle this? I know there are a lot of issues that are currently being worked on with this thing but outside of an HTPC with XBMC, which I'm too lazy to do right now, this is my best option and how it handles anime subtitles will probably be the defining factor in me replacing my WDTV Live with a brand new Boxee Box.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

priznat posted:

I tried out playing 1080p mkvs over 802.11n and it ran just fine.

Whats the bit-rate of the file?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Mike Hock posted:

So I'm one of those jerkasses that watches a lot of anime and foreign films with subtitles. I have a WDTV Live right now but it does a crappy job on the stylized rear end/SSA type subtitles since it doesn't show the fonts or colors. Plus it doesn't really handle multiple subtitles at once like if there are translator notes or some signs being translated at the same time as dialogue choosing to only display one or the other. How does the Boxee Box handle this? I know there are a lot of issues that are currently being worked on with this thing but outside of an HTPC with XBMC, which I'm too lazy to do right now, this is my best option and how it handles anime subtitles will probably be the defining factor in me replacing my WDTV Live with a brand new Boxee Box.

For the most part SSA/rear end subtitles show up just like on your computer. There are some instances where they don't display correctly such as, the coalgirl's release of bakemonogatari which has a colored backing obscuring the japanese text with english subtitles on top that. Boxee doesn't display the colored backing so you get subs on top of the japanese text. Other than that though I didn't really notice any other problems with SSA/rear end subs, they played fine. One thing to note is boxee doesn't support linked chapter files (yet?) So if you have some files with linked OP/ED then it will just skip them and play the episode. FLAC audio had some issues where you get pops/cracking noise when playing a file that had this kind of audio. I ended up returning mine cause of these issues and some other bugs when watching streaming content. Honestly though it was pretty great machine, unfortunately had some bugs. I might pick it up again after a couple more bugfixes.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

For the most part SSA/rear end subtitles show up just like on your computer. There are some instances where they don't display correctly such as, the coalgirl's release of bakemonogatari which has a colored backing obscuring the japanese text with english subtitles on top that. Boxee doesn't display the colored backing so you get subs on top of the japanese text. Other than that though I didn't really notice any other problems with SSA/rear end subs, they played fine. One thing to note is boxee doesn't support linked chapter files (yet?) So if you have some files with linked OP/ED then it will just skip them and play the episode. FLAC audio had some issues where you get pops/cracking noise when playing a file that had this kind of audio. I ended up returning mine cause of these issues and some other bugs when watching streaming content. Honestly though it was pretty great machine, unfortunately had some bugs. I might pick it up again after a couple more bugfixes.

Sounds pretty good despite the bugs. If you don't mind, can you elaborate on some of the bugs you were getting? I was reading the Boxee forums and a lot of the bugs were for stuff that I didn't care too much about like online streaming media and music playback. I'm more interested in how it handles local media and getting pretty folder art and metadata for my movies and TV shows. I doubt it will do the same for my anime collection as I was messing around with XBMC and I had to install a different scraper to get it to pull information for most of my anime so I think I would just be happy with folder cover art and thumbnails for those files.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

devmd01 posted:

Edit2: if you have a boxee box you owe it to yourself to add the navi-x repository right loving now.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know about repositories on Boxee until you posted that.

There's a ridiculously amount of "stuff" on navi-x.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress, that means running like 200 feet of cable.

I may be biased because I used to pull cable as part of my job, but it really isn't too terribly hard or expensive to run cable and make it look good unless your house's architecture makes that really difficult. Minimum of 2 drops of cat-6 in every room, baby! :snoop:

Misanthrope posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know about repositories on Boxee until you posted that.

There's a ridiculously amount of "stuff" on navi-x.

"stuff" aside, it's nice to have even just for the Shoutcast scraping since they took that app out in the rev 1.0 build. Pandora is nice, but sometimes I want a genre like classical, not artists-like-another-artist.

Also live international space station video feed on my tv (when its on the correct side of its orbit)? gently caress yeah.

Here's some good tips:
http://gigaom.com/video/boxee-box-tips/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+newteevee+(GigaOM:+Video)

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 8, 2010

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Mike Hock posted:

Sounds pretty good despite the bugs. If you don't mind, can you elaborate on some of the bugs you were getting? I was reading the Boxee forums and a lot of the bugs were for stuff that I didn't care too much about like online streaming media and music playback. I'm more interested in how it handles local media and getting pretty folder art and metadata for my movies and TV shows. I doubt it will do the same for my anime collection as I was messing around with XBMC and I had to install a different scraper to get it to pull information for most of my anime so I think I would just be happy with folder cover art and thumbnails for those files.

I had some buffering issues. Stopped a video and started would play fine. One time was browsing around and watched a clip, think daily show don't rememeber which and it got stuck (didn't seem like it was buffering) stopped and started played fine. I was really just annoyed by the FLAC pops/cracks. At times it would take a bit to buffer even from an external drive. I used the file browser so I can't comment about scraping or anything like that. I would go to files>external drive>anime folder>file to play stuff. I tested out playing stuff over the network and it streamed fine. I tested 720p mkvs rear end subs and played them fine. Didn't test 1080p over wireless G. I used an external drive to test those files and they actually played fine.
I emailed Avner with links to a bakemonogatari episode and linked OP/ED files I uploaded to dropbox with an explanation of the incorrectly displayed subs, cracking/popping FLAC audio and non support for linked chapter files. He emailed me back the next day with who was assigned to looking into it and said I would be contacted about progress but haven't heard anything (I check my spam folder also). Like I said before, it is an awesome box with some glitches. I may pick it up again sometime in the future.

One other tidbit, don't know if its relevant to you but I used the crunchyroll app since I have an account and from what I could see it didn't stream in HD, didn't see an option either.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 9, 2010

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like it would work for what I want to do. The main reason I want to upgrade from the WDTV Live is the crap way it handles subtitles. I'm an impulsive sumbitch so I went and got it last night. I like the pretty folder art for my movies and TV shows but I'm going to have to go through it some more as some stuff is mislabeled or missing. There are a bunch of things that annoy me about it already, but I like the way their team is intent on at least trying to address them.

The way it handles subtitles shits all over the WDTV Live so I'm happy on that front. I watch most of my movies on my PS3 but I do have some Bluray rips and TV shows that I stream too so as long as the Boxee team continues pushing out upgrades, the experience should keep getting better unlike WD who just push out a new piece of hardware instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
New boxee box update

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=24049

code:
Boxee for CE4100: Boxee Box by D-Link

Version 1.0.2.16606
-------------------

Improvements and additions

- Enabling user flavor selection (online/local inclination) during first login
  and via Settings - defaults for users selecting local will direct to local
  content and will not mandate multiple clicks to get to local content
- Added alphabetical scrollbar for local content
- Enhanced sorting options in browse screens (A-Z, Z-A, most popular, newest/oldest...)
- Main menu supports additional filter options
- Mark items as watched/unwatched from the Action menu
- Added option for hourly scan of local libraries
- When watching side-by-side or over/under video, the subtitles and OSD would not be visible
  when wearing 3D glasses. The user now has the option, under Settings, to have the user
  interface properly displayed when watching this kind of content
- Added SMB client defaults to network settings

Bug fixes

- Do not de-interlace of video when the TV is in interlaced mode (e.g. 1080i)
- HFS+ volumes display UUID instead of volume name under some conditions
- Video OSD text background too small for text title when playing video with long titles
- When connecting to VPN, Boxee didn't refresh region code
- Boxee doesn't change DNS configuration when VPN is set up
- Can't connect to hidden wireless networks
- Cannot connect to network using WPA passcode with special characters
- When Internet connection is restored, menu doesn't show online channels
- DVD .iso playback aspect ratio incorrect
- DVD playback displayed some artifacts
- "Resume From" doesn't work on DVD ISO/Folders
- Zoom on DVD (.iso and folder) video does not work as expected
- .vob files playback (standalone files) is stuttering and low FPS
- DVD .iso playback over Wireless N: excessive buffering, playback speed issues, random exits
- "Vietnamese" character set is misspelled in System Settings
- Show "Remove From Favorites" button in episodes list, even if no episodes are available
- SMB credentials are not saved upon restart
- Write failure when accessing Box-attached disk over SMB
- SMB file sharing of external HD size reporting is wrong
- Become unresponsive and hang during playback of AVC .mkv file from SMB mapped drive
- Crashes when indexing some videos inside .rar files
- Crashes indexing mp3 file with corrupt embedded thumbnail
- Stretch 16:9 and Stretch 14:9 not working properly
- Shoutcast and Radiotime: Switching stations or Cancel causes interface to freeze and console output to crawl
- Some .mkv files do not playback properly (some flavors of H.264)
- Support packed bitstream muxing mode in .avi
- Some .wtv files do not playback properly
- Constant buffering on 1080p BD .mkv files accessed wirelessly on Boxee
- Boxee crash when browsing into unidentified Files
- Playback choked and crashed during viewing of .mp4 file

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is great, it looks like they fixed ask the local content playback changes they made.
Glad to see they are taking this box seriously.

sho-nuff
Jul 22, 2004
I seem to be having a very specific issue and can't find a good answer to fix it.

I am using the Boxee for Windows software and have all my local content setup, Netflix and Pandora setup. But it seems that after the program has been open for a certain amount of time it shows me in offline mode. Now as long as I have already started Netflix or Pandora when I first login they will continue to work, but any new app that uses the internet says unable to connect.

I've tried turning off the windows firewall, and don't see anything in my router that might be stopping it, nothing seems to help. Has anyone else ran into something like this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Installed the update, I like the changes. Will argue that for my use case, if the freezes are gone, they have hit what I need it for! Sure there are other features I want to see, but the bare bones of what I value the $200 for is looking like we are there! Way to go team boxee! (watch for my rescinding of this in two days)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm also happy with the update. Even just adding the A-Z jumplist on the side of the content scrolling for Movies/TV was a huge improvement. For some wierd reason though, it's showing Star Trek TOS episodes as only being available on Fancast with no local option, when I definitely have them stored locally and named properly. Perhaps it just needs a reboot, or to re-add the source.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Why is the Last.fm plug in so useless? I can't even get to my radio or my mix radio!

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Boxee (and Apple TV and Roku) may be getting NFL Sunday Ticket

That probably seals my post-Christmas purchase of a Boxee.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'm completely new to all of this and I'm wondering if it's worth getting something like Boxee Box.

I want to ditch my comcast cable so bad. It's a poo poo service with poo poo support. I'm not super satisfied with what hulu+ or netflix has to offer as they don't seem to have the shows that I pay cable for and/or are not current seasons. I know Boxee scours the web for video content that you're searching for but how likely is it to find HDish quality programming that came on the night before over basic cable?

I was considering Apple TV but it seems like every drat thing I would want to watch would cost me .99 an episode and I think that would eventually become the same price as cable. I also don't have a huge archive of media as I've been mainly using streaming services like netflix for the past year or two. I just don't have the time for :filez:

Sorry if this has clearly been explained already but this thread has been going for almost a year and I know a lot of things have changed/updated.

Gunmuffins
Dec 5, 2003
Vaginamite Rave

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm completely new to all of this and I'm wondering if it's worth getting something like Boxee Box.

I want to ditch my comcast cable so bad. It's a poo poo service with poo poo support. I'm not super satisfied with what hulu+ or netflix has to offer as they don't seem to have the shows that I pay cable for and/or are not current seasons. I know Boxee scours the web for video content that you're searching for but how likely is it to find HDish quality programming that came on the night before over basic cable?

I was considering Apple TV but it seems like every drat thing I would want to watch would cost me .99 an episode and I think that would eventually become the same price as cable. I also don't have a huge archive of media as I've been mainly using streaming services like netflix for the past year or two. I just don't have the time for :filez:

Sorry if this has clearly been explained already but this thread has been going for almost a year and I know a lot of things have changed/updated.

If you want the boxee to provide the same level of service as a cable tv subscription it is still a ways off. However, if you were committed to getting usenet along with the eventual hulu+ and netflix then yes you could cut the cord. Based on what you wrote however this thing is not for you.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Don't place your bets on Hulu, I got a TV yesterday with hulu plus built in so I signed up for a free trial. I literally canceled it an hour later. The shows I wanted to watch "are not licensed for TV viewing"

That's some serious bullshit and they need to get on board with what people want.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
What's the current opinion on Boxee vs Roku? It seems like they have pretty much the same functionality at this point, is there any compelling reason to go with one over the other?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fatman1683 posted:

What's the current opinion on Boxee vs Roku? It seems like they have pretty much the same functionality at this point, is there any compelling reason to go with one over the other?

Roku's Netflix support isn't theoretical.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also, Roku doesn't play local content. Do you plan on watching more online content, or more local content?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

Also, Roku doesn't play local content. Do you plan on watching more online content, or more local content?

Probably about an even split, and Roku does support streaming from a USB drive with third-party channels, and a few people have figured out ways to make it work over the network.

I think my biggest concern with Roku is that it's a closed platform, and a lot less likely to get upgraded/updated in any meaningful fashion. Is this a valid point of comparison, or is the Boxee box subject to the same limitations?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

Probably about an even split, and Roku does support streaming from a USB drive with third-party channels, and a few people have figured out ways to make it work over the network.

I think my biggest concern with Roku is that it's a closed platform, and a lot less likely to get upgraded/updated in any meaningful fashion. Is this a valid point of comparison, or is the Boxee box subject to the same limitations?

Boxee is a fork of the open-source XBMC software, but it is a proprietary OS on proprietary hardware. You can't load or update your box independantly of Boxee releasing the firmware.

It can and will probably be hacked to run other software such as XBMC in the future, but as it sits now you get what Boxee gives you.

Roku is the same way, but both companies have really put in the extra effort the last few months to stand up against the Apple TV.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

Boxee is a fork of the open-source XBMC software, but it is a proprietary OS on proprietary hardware. You can't load or update your box independantly of Boxee releasing the firmware.

It can and will probably be hacked to run other software such as XBMC in the future, but as it sits now you get what Boxee gives you.

Roku is the same way, but both companies have really put in the extra effort the last few months to stand up against the Apple TV.

So which would you say has better long-term viability at this point? I'm going to be buying my first HDTV and a box in the near future and I'd rather not have to get anything new for awhile.

Gunmuffins
Dec 5, 2003
Vaginamite Rave

fatman1683 posted:

So which would you say has better long-term viability at this point? I'm going to be buying my first HDTV and a box in the near future and I'd rather not have to get anything new for awhile.

If you have the money get the boxee, the devs have been busting their asses 24/7 since the thing came out and they actually listen to feedback from their buyers which is rare these days.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Not to mention that lack of Netflix and Hulu support is because of media producers won't play ball, not any fault of the people at Boxee. My solution? Get a Boxee box for local content, and an Xbox 360 for Netflix and eventually Hulu Plus (which is supposed to come out sometime early next year).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

Not to mention that lack of Netflix and Hulu support is because of media producers won't play ball, not any fault of the people at Boxee. My solution? Get a Boxee box for local content, and an Xbox 360 for Netflix and eventually Hulu Plus (which is supposed to come out sometime early next year).

Then they should not have been touting Netflix + Hulu support before they released it. I do have quite a bit of local media I want to stream, but these days almost everything I watch is on Netflix streaming. Saying get an Xbox 360 for Netflix sucks because Xbox Live Gold is $10 a month. At that rate if you don't have an Xbox 360 or a Boxee, you'd be much better off buying a nettop box and putting Windows 7 with the Boxee software on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fatman1683 posted:

We have not reached the point where there is a conclusively long-term viable box. The One True Box has not come yet, you'd probably be better off spending less money on a Roku and reevaluating the landscape in a year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Then they should not have been touting Netflix + Hulu support before they released it. I do have quite a bit of local media I want to stream, but these days almost everything I watch is on Netflix streaming. Saying get an Xbox 360 for Netflix sucks because Xbox Live Gold is $10 a month. At that rate if you don't have an Xbox 360 or a Boxee, you'd be much better off buying a nettop box and putting Windows 7 with the Boxee software on it.

Xbox Live Gold is $60/year, but can usually find cards on Dell or other sites for $30-40 from time to time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As Citycop above mentioned, I wouldn't count on Hulu Plus support being a panacea for watching content on your TV from any device.

It seems they are special licensing provisions for shows being viewable on a TV with Hulu plus and not everything supports it.

Lets face it, the media companies (aside from Netflix) are very much against any of their streaming content being viewed on anything other than a computer or mobile phone. In the long run, the only way you are going to be able to sidestep their restrictions is by doing a full blown HTPC build.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 20, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BorderPatrol posted:

People really need to test drive Boxee software on their laptops. If you like it on your laptop/PC, it will be perfect on their TV with a cheap PC or a Boxee Box.

I was THIS close to picking up a Boxee Box on the holidays. But was turned off by the remote. So instead I'm going to put Boxee software an old computer behind the TV. I'm testing Boxee software on my laptop and have downloaded the Boxee remote to my iPhone. It's been fantastic so far.

I really hope my old 2.5GHZ HT 1Gb Ram and a lovely ATI card will be able to run the software well enough.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Ziploc posted:

But was turned off by the remote.

Wow, I'm surprised - I love the remote and knew I was going to purchase the Boxee Box the first time I saw a picture of it! It works really well although I wish it had a shift key instead of caps.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Ziploc posted:

People really need to test drive Boxee software on their laptops. If you like it on your laptop/PC, it will be perfect on their TV with a cheap PC or a Boxee Box.

I was THIS close to picking up a Boxee Box on the holidays. But was turned off by the remote. So instead I'm going to put Boxee software an old computer behind the TV. I'm testing Boxee software on my laptop and have downloaded the Boxee remote to my iPhone. It's been fantastic so far.

I really hope my old 2.5GHZ HT 1Gb Ram and a lovely ATI card will be able to run the software well enough.

The version included on the Boxee box has underwent a shitload of UI changes since the beta versions currently available for download on Win/Linux/Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ziploc posted:

Probably a nitpick, but isn't the downloadable software a completely different looking version than the Boxee Box? Still better than nothing but some found the new software different enough to be irritated with it. On the other hand it's not entirely fair to say you're stuck with what Boxee gives you, there is support for user-written apps and repositories. It's just that like XBMC scripts they haven't been coming out fast and furious and many are prone to freezes and crashes. But don't expect to just surf to your own favorite site in the meantime because the browser is a rudimentary sketchy piece of poo poo without even so much as a bookmark list. Not to mention the amount of flash ads on many web pages will bring the relatively low-powered box to its knees if it is trying to display them all along with the video you want to watch. Poor thing needs a flashblocker more than the computers that actually have them.

I really kind of hate the keyboard on the back of the BB remote, the keys are mushy and you can't see it much in the dark. Probably worse is that the layout seems to fight off touch-typing with the smattering of active keys the same size as the regular and the bottom row shifted one from the position I'm used to on other mini-boards.

I still don't regret getting the Box and they are making improvements, but the Roku is great right now and at a pretty irresistible price point. Hell, get the one without wireless and save even more since wireless is pretty much poo poo for streaming video. Of course if everyone waits who knows how long they will be around to improve the drat Boxee...

• Locked thread