Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

On the netflix front, we're talking about less than 10 days at the most before it becomes available on the boxee box too. They've been holding strong on saying it will be out before the end of the year, so I think waiting maybe a week to see how it turns out isn't a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I like the idea of the remote. But I have a feeling the tiny keys labeled with gray type on gray keys on a black remote will be cumbersome for my father who will use this more than any of us and will usually be in a dark room.

I just tested Boxee on our ancient HTPC and while it played our local rips and navigated the menus really nicely it just could not play the flash stuff without lots of frame drops and hiccups. I updated flash just in case Boxee used it. I might try updating the graphics card drivers, though I doubt ATI is even supporting it anymore. Anything else I should try before throwing the towel and picking up a Boxee Box? It's a 2.5ghz P4 with HT and the CPU is pretty much maxed out while playing any streaming TV shows.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 20, 2010

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Next-Gen posted:

On the netflix front, we're talking about less than 10 days at the most before it becomes available on the boxee box too. They've been holding strong on saying it will be out before the end of the year, so I think waiting maybe a week to see how it turns out isn't a bad idea.

Quoting for posterity.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Get a cheap video card that has hardware acceleration support for Flash.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Constellation I posted:

Get a cheap video card that has hardware acceleration support for Flash.

Are there any that support an ancient motherboard?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ziploc posted:

I like the idea of the remote. But I have a feeling the tiny keys labeled with gray type on gray keys on a black remote will be cumbersome for my father who will use this more than any of us and will usually be in a dark room.
You could use other keyboards with it, I just haven't gotten around to getting one for it yet. I don't know which ones are supported but I am guessing any regular USB keyboard (wired or wireless) should work just fine from what I've read. It even works with that weird mini-keyboard-and-touchpad thing people have posted about from some import site. However don't expect the Box to be free of drops either. I like to watch Ustream and this drat thing just herks and blorks at random intervals, then after an hour or two of streaming altogether freezes. Not to say that I never froze my Roku but it took a lot more effort. The web browser just needs so much more drat work though and the apps community just isn't there yet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've been doing my homework as best I can to make sure I have the right setup so that I can surprise my Dad on Christmas Eve.

I'm aware that there are some UI changes between the Box Software and the PC Software. I've been using my laptop as a test to look for and test apps and content that my family will be interested in.

All the content that I can access on the PC Software will be immediately available on the Box Software right? (I'm in Canada)

The only difference being I may have to maximize some content as seen in Anantechs Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4029/the-boxee-box-review/6

Apps are cross platform too correct?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ziploc posted:

All the content that I can access on the PC Software will be immediately available on the Box Software right? (I'm in Canada)

If you try to access some shows that offer online content, you will run into issues with geo blocking unless you've setup your network to get around this or you are using a VPN.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I have had my boxee for a while and imho the remote is overrated. It works as a remote pretty good, and I love the non directional nature of it; but the keyboard is a mixed bag. While it's nice to have a keyboard it is hard to use because the letters are very close together but the killing blow would be the fact that you can't see the thing at all in anything less than direct light.

Why they chose to put grey letters on black buttons on a black remote confuses me. There is no back lighting and no titties to index your fingers so you can use it by feel. This was a decision based on aesthetics and cost over function.

Luckily you will find that you don't use the keyboard very often because the "search" function seems to search everything but your local media first, and it does a bad job of indexing your stuff so it's not in the list anyway. What I use the most is the browse local files option and I just sort my folders manually.

I use my boxee: 95% of the time for local content. Youtube really really sucks as entertainment. Pandora and slacker are nice but they are both built into my TV with better apps to boot. Revision 3 is about the best video app. I still love it because it supports 1080p and my "BRrips" look amazing and stream great. FYI don't try to stream a 13.5GB HD rip across your cat5 network, it will skip occasionaly, but looks awesome in between. :)

Citycop fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 21, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Citycop posted:

FYI don't try to stream a 13.5GB HD rip across your cat5 network, it will skip occasionaly, but looks awesome in between. :)

I haven't had a single issue with framerate skip of 1080p streaming off of my file server.

Then again, my file server and network aren't normal - a ridiculous adaptec hardware raid card, server-grade sata drives, and cat-6 gigabit I wired myself.

nthing the remote sucking, it's useful for initial setup and that's about it. Still waiting to hear of a known, good MCE ir receiver that works. People on the boxee forums or avsforum mention that theirs work, then don't provide any more details. :argh:

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable firmware hack that will give me full HULU support.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.

devmd01 posted:

I haven't had a single issue with framerate skip of 1080p streaming off of my file server.

Then again, my file server and network aren't normal - a ridiculous adaptec hardware raid card, server-grade sata drives, and cat-6 gigabit I wired myself.

nthing the remote sucking, it's useful for initial setup and that's about it. Still waiting to hear of a known, good MCE ir receiver that works. People on the boxee forums or avsforum mention that theirs work, then don't provide any more details. :argh:
I have this one that works fine with the Boxee Box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Media...a#ht_814wt_1139

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is the Boxee Box going to care that I've formatted my external drive to NTFS? Are the Macs that try to access the SMB share Boxee will create going to care?

Looks like no, no.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2010

Bathing Poodle
Nov 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Is anyone else having playback issues with music streamed over wifi? Sometimes the playback will pause for about 10 seconds and then continue. I have no trouble streaming 720p video over wifi-g and even 1080p mostly works. This leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere in the music component of Boxee. Anyone getting similar issues?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Australian Boxee owner here. Had it for a day and its pretty great - does a better job playing hi def content over wifi (computer is on 100mbps LAN, NAS is on gigabit, boxee on wireless N) with little to no pausing and quick buffering.

Only thing that is a letdown is that it seems really lovely at scraping data for my TV shows. Apparently I have Iron man the comic, and alvin the chipmunks as TV shows.

is there a way to bypass all that shite and just get to the raw file menu? I use TVrenamer on all my files anyway so my movie/tv directories are pretty tidy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since I am australian I would like to know more about getting all the sweet US channels enabled.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Laserface posted:

is there a way to bypass all that shite and just get to the raw file menu? I use TVrenamer on all my files anyway so my movie/tv directories are pretty tidy.

Files/Browse

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
WHAT THE gently caress.
Random problem here: boxee has been running fine on my Revo 3610, output audio over HDMI to my HDTV and then output it via headphone jack to my stereo's aux-in. All of a sudden, audio in movies has stopped working. Like, out of nowhere. The "bloop" noises still work in boxee, but when I open a movie there is no audio. I tried messing with the audio settings, changing the audio output, but no luck. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no luck there either. Any ideas?

edit: n/m. I changed the DTS and DD audio settings and it worked. That, or I pressed "up" and the volume went up and it was working all along. Either way, I was tripping balls last night when this happened so maybe it was just the volume thing all along. Ignore this post, go on your merry way.

tokki g fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 23, 2010

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie
The Boxee Box doesn't do multichannel Flac yet, does it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Citycop posted:

There is no back lighting and no titties to index your fingers so you can use it by feel.

What kind of remotes are you used to?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pissflaps posted:

Well, which would YOU rather have for about $40?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480OSVK/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DMRJTG/

:smith:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CrashCat posted:

Well, which would YOU rather have for about $40?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480OSVK/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DMRJTG/

:smith:

One of those it not a remote.

Am I the only one who thinks the Rii Keyboard/Trackpad thing looks terrible? Its definitely not wife friendly.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

^^^^ Nice backlit keyboard there...

Pissflaps posted:

Ones without keyboards?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Dad loves Boxee. Success!

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Bought mine about a week ago, and so far, so great. Works great with my Mac's SMB share. Can't wait for the netflix update so I can just do all my media watching on it. It easily passed the wife test, too.

That said, oh god who the gently caress decided the alt characters on the keyboard should be 10x brighter than the regular characters? Even if the colors were just reversed it would be so much better.

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 27, 2010

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA
Got one for Christmas, now I'll pretend like all my negative whining in the past never happened. I'm hopeful it matures and becomes the device I envisioned.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I also got one for Christmas!

I was SOOOO excited until I booted it up. The box keeps crashing to a large green boxee logo and then taking me back to the main menu. This happens when I boot up a video or when I am surfing through the menus.

Help???

EDIT: Opened a support ticket 18 hours ago with no response...

This is probably the most disappointed I've been with a digital device. I feel like a tool since I was hyping boxee up to my friends/family. I really want to love boxee, but considering I have a $200 paperweight that didn't work out of the box I guess I'll have to suck it up and return the drat thing. I hear the WDTV Live is nice?

Spittin Wheelie fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 28, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a way to change the media scraper for the boxee box? It isn't doing a very good job at finding the tv show names.. I've got them set as show name/season/ and some times it does it right, other times not so much. It will give an error 'media info not avil'.. or something close.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Spittin Wheelie posted:

I was SOOOO excited until I booted it up. The box keeps crashing to a large green boxee logo and then taking me back to the main menu. This happens when I boot up a video or when I am surfing through the menus.

Help???

EDIT: Opened a support ticket 18 hours ago with no response...

This is probably the most disappointed I've been with a digital device. I feel like a tool since I was hyping boxee up to my friends/family. I really want to love boxee, but considering I have a $200 paperweight that didn't work out of the box I guess I'll have to suck it up and return the drat thing. I hear the WDTV Live is nice?
Why not just exchange it for another one?

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

deong posted:

Is there a way to change the media scraper for the boxee box? It isn't doing a very good job at finding the tv show names.. I've got them set as show name/season/ and some times it does it right, other times not so much. It will give an error 'media info not avil'.. or something close.

Are you filenames for each episode in the same format? Boxee has problem with some naming convention for some :filez: naming conventions.

I use an application called TVRename (https://www.tvrename.com) to re-name all of my TV shows. After renaming my collection (didn't take more than 30 minutes), Boxee has found all of my shows successfully.

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Drazzy posted:

Are you filenames for each episode in the same format? Boxee has problem with some naming convention for some :filez: naming conventions.

I use an application called TVRename (https://www.tvrename.com) to re-name all of my TV shows. After renaming my collection (didn't take more than 30 minutes), Boxee has found all of my shows successfully.

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out.

Anime is troublesome... but I'm on linux. Thanks for the link, I'll look into the easiest way of renaming crap based on this. I was just hoping to avoid doing some of that.

deong fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 29, 2010

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

n0n0 posted:

Why not just exchange it for another one?

I already did. Amazon sent me another brand new unit and it does the EXACT same thing. I have a lot of trouble believing that I'm just having bad luck here?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Next-Gen posted:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

^^^ Yeah haha good luck

quote:

two broken boxees
If you can, try the directions at http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/328816-how-do-i-manually-update-the-boxee-software for reinstalling the software. Also try a different TV/power outlet/etc., since getting two defective units is pretty unlikely and you probably have been setting it up on the same stuff each time. If you can take those out of the equation it'll be less useless emails going between you and the support people trying to get you to eliminate the possibility.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

CrashCat posted:

^^^ Yeah haha good luck

If you can, try the directions at http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/328816-how-do-i-manually-update-the-boxee-software for reinstalling the software. Also try a different TV/power outlet/etc., since getting two defective units is pretty unlikely and you probably have been setting it up on the same stuff each time. If you can take those out of the equation it'll be less useless emails going between you and the support people trying to get you to eliminate the possibility.

Well, I tried a different outlet per your suggestion. Still having the problem. I'd like to try a different T.V. but I only have 1 HD television in my house (which supports HDMI) Even if it is a conflict with the TV, it's the only one I would be using so it's pointless to keep the boxee I guess...

Edit: Also, good luck on getting a hold of their support people. I opened a ticket more than 48 hours ago. I know boxee is a relatively small operation, but still...

Spittin Wheelie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 29, 2010

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, they're really a small software company so they have jack all for a support team. I only found out about the recovery mode thing by reading their forums as it is, even though it's on their knowledge base it's kind of buried. If you have more than one HDMI socket or cord to try do that as well, but you're probably just poo poo out of luck. Unfortunately D-Link makes the hardware and their support is not known for being super either.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

:words:

Hey I have 2 days still until I have to stick my foot in my mouth :haw:

Edit:

Spittin Wheelie posted:

Are you using a NAS? Does it have UPnP enabled (or maybe on your router)? Some people were having crashes and reboots with it.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 29, 2010

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Next-Gen posted:

Are you using a NAS? Does it have UPnP enabled (or maybe on your router)? Some people were having crashes and reboots with it.

I am using a NAS. Do I need to turn UPnP off? My router has it enabled for sure (using dd-wrt)

Not sure how to turn off UPnP on my NAS but looking into it now...I'd be really happy if that was the issue.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Spittin Wheelie posted:

I am using a NAS. Do I need to turn UPnP off? My router has it enabled for sure (using dd-wrt)

Not sure how to turn off UPnP on my NAS but looking into it now...I'd be really happy if that was the issue.

Try turning them both off and see if it helps. Otherwise, turn on debug info for the boxee box and post the stack trace when it crashes into here. I can probably tell you what the exact cause is, then.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Next-Gen posted:

Try turning them both off and see if it helps. Otherwise, turn on debug info for the boxee box and post the stack trace when it crashes into here. I can probably tell you what the exact cause is, then.

Turned it off on the router and the NAS. I will love you forever if this works. Testing now...

If it doesn't, how do I post the stack trace from the box? where does it export to?

EDIT: This appears to have worked! :) I've had my boxee running for about 2 hours now without any crashes. It should be added to the OP for future reference that UPnP will cause boxee box to crash (may save others the hair-pulling I went through). Couldn't find that anywhere on their forums or in the FAQ's/Guides on their website.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. If you PM me your paypal address I'd be happy to send you a few bucks in appreciation.

Spittin Wheelie fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Don't worry about the cash, I'm just glad that worked. Strangely enough, UPnP works for most people but some implementations just cause it to crash; it's supposed to be fixed in SP3 according to this and this.

• Locked thread