Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Can't an I-4 be geared down to be more friendly in town?

I'll be mostly using the bike for day/weekend trips, commuting, and maybe a couple longer trips (Think from BC to California).

I did my last trip to CA on a GSX-R, so I'm not concerned about the body positioning or comfort, really. I think the logical conclusion to all of this is to buy a Daytona 675 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I4/V2 is a false dichotomy. The Triumph triples are celebrated for their wonderful power delivery and allows you to purchase spark plugs in an odd number - which always makes the woman think you are mysterious and alluring.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrZig posted:

I'll be mostly using the bike for day/weekend trips, commuting, and maybe a couple longer trips (Think from BC to California).

I did my last trip to CA on a GSX-R, so I'm not concerned about the body positioning or comfort, really. I think the logical conclusion to all of this is to buy a Daytona 675 :v:

Yes, I ride an 09 ZX6R that is -1 in the front and +2 in the back. It's a wheelie monster now though, but I love it the way it is geared.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

There's a huge difference between an older GSX-R and a modern supersport, in terms of body positioning and seating position. Ride one, you'll see.

And the I4 can be geared down to make it better around town, my CBR had +2 in the rear and it was great for around town. It's also one of the ones with a better bottom end though. People ruin literbike low end constantly looking for a couple more HP on the top end, completely gutting the systems designed to boost the midrange.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The other consideration you have to make is that if you buy a duc, hot women in skimpy swim suits will come out of nowhere to wash your bike when you park it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

The other consideration you have to make is that if you buy a duc, hot women in skimpy swim suits will come out of nowhere to wash your bike when you park it.

Case in point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxClVMDbD50&feature=related

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If its going to be a street bike only, I'd go for a twin, or a big displacement I-4 thats less track oriented (FZ1, Z1000 ZXR1200, Bandit 1200/1250 Honda 999, etc).

Supersports can get pretty obnoxious on the street, and once you ride a bike made with street riding in mind, you'll never go back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Blasphemy :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I went from a supersport, to a supermoto, and want to buy an 848 mainly for the street. Where does that put me? :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A glutton for pain? I love the 848, I'd love to own one... omnomnom.

vvv Streetfighters are fun.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What if you modify a supersport to make it street-oriented?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
In town I loathe clip ons. My DR650 was amazing in the city.

On the highway I hated the upright position of the DR650, and wanted my tucked down clipons.

What would an FZ6/FZ1 feel like? In between and best of both worlds?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

MrZig posted:

On the highway I hated the upright position of the DR650, and wanted my tucked down clipons.

I went from a crouched down sportbike, to an upright KLR and now I've got an FZ6. For me its pretty much the best of both worlds. It upright and comfortable, but you can still get down low when you need too.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

BlackMK4 posted:

A glutton for pain? I love the 848, I'd love to own one... omnomnom.

Hell yes :black101:

MrZig posted:

I've found pretty much the same thing. A little forward lean is a GOOD thing when you're bombing down the road. The wind resistance takes strain off your lower back and wrists. My 625SMC has you sitting bolt upright... it gets pretty annoying after not very long at interstate speeds. I loving love the visibility in town though.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I still think my 625 is more comfortable than my CBR F2 ever was, highway or not. On the CBR my neck and knees would be starting to get sore after about an hour, and I'm only 23 and in excellent shape, and basically the optimum height/weight for the bike at 5'8" and 145 pounds. On the 625 if I need to hunker down I just slide my rear end back and I can do it easily enough.

On the highway trip from Connecticut to Florida on the CBR I literally had 10-minute long sessions where I'd be lying down on the bike, legs flayed out in a superman pose behind me. It was the only way I could do it at a 600 mile per day pace.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bolt upright gets the nod for me for long distance. I don't care if I have a windshield, but I do want to sit upright.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
You guys are pussys! My mechanic is 70 years old and puts on 20,000-30,000 KM on his GSX-R 1000 a year. I think his current bike has 90,000 KM. Stock clipons, even. I love that guy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

You guys are pussys! My mechanic is 70 years old and puts on 20,000-30,000 KM on his GSX-R 1000 a year. I think his current bike has 90,000 KM. Stock clipons, even. I love that guy.

Someone once said...there's plenty of cactuses in the world but that doesn't mean you have to sit on all of them.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrZig posted:

Gixxers are by the far and away the comfiest sportsbike. You sit down in it rather than on which makes so much difference.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Someone once said...there's plenty of cactuses in the world but that doesn't mean you have to sit on all of them.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Gixxers are by the far and away the comfiest sportsbike. You sit down in it rather than on which makes so much difference.

I'll have to take a day sitting on modern bikes. My '89 feels really good ergo wise. The seat is really hard, and I had to use a pillow/cushion for the trip but other than that, great.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

I'll have to take a day sitting on modern bikes. My '89 feels really good ergo wise. The seat is really hard, and I had to use a pillow/cushion for the trip but other than that, great.

I generally prefer harder seats to softer ones, as the soft ones tend to hotspot me like crazy during long trips.

But yeah, everyone fits bikes a bit differently. My 929 would have been awesome if I could cruise at 85-90mph because the windblast made it effortless to ride. I couldn't imagine doing long trips on my GSX-R though, with the jacked up rearsets and lower clipons.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrZig posted:

The seat itself does leave a lot to be desired, but the seating position is fine for big km days.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MrZig posted:

Tell you what, if you liked your '89, you could just find a 96-99 GSX-R750. That was a really good chassis with a faster motor and less weight. Parts availability's still good, and of course there was so much aftermarket support you should still be able to find a ton of bling for it on ebay.

I had a WV with a full Akra system, a fox shock, goodridge lines/spiegler iron discs, a hyperpro damper and a single-seat conversion - that was a hell of a road/track day bike. Just the system and a dynojet kit gave you something like 110-115 at the wheel, and while it's slightly heavier than 2010 bikes (185kg?), the chassis is still very capable today. It's a lot more modern than the old up and over chassis, handling wise.

e: the only problem will be finding one without mini indicators, eletric pink screen and cheap anodised bolts everywhere. Or fur, if you're in the US.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Just posted this in the SV thread before realising it would be more appropriate here:

How do I get a curvy SV to start in subzero temperatures?

It's been standing in the snow for a few weeks but I need it to travel to my parents for Christmas. Shovelled the snow off and the battery's fine, surprisingly. However the starter just turns over endlessly while the engine never kicks in. There's plenty of petrol in the tank and all permutations of choke/throttle don't make any difference.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

anothertenbux posted:

Just posted this in the SV thread before realising it would be more appropriate here:

How do I get a curvy SV to start in subzero temperatures?

It's been standing in the snow for a few weeks but I need it to travel to my parents for Christmas. Shovelled the snow off and the battery's fine, surprisingly. However the starter just turns over endlessly while the engine never kicks in. There's plenty of petrol in the tank and all permutations of choke/throttle don't make any difference.

Have you tried starting fluid?

Do you have spark?

Do you have fuel to the carbs (assume by "curvy" it's pre-EFI)?

If yes to the latter, try draining the float bowls and re-priming.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
With my bike (not an sv) when I pull the choke open, it'll catch eventually.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

How hard is it to straighten up crooked forks? I can just put the bike up on the center stand, loosen them, and then tighten them back up, right? Is this realistic for a complete noob to try during his lunch break in the parking lot with just a little under-seat tool roll?

edit: not bent, just crooked.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

How hard is it to straighten up crooked forks? I can just put the bike up on the center stand, loosen them, and then tighten them back up, right? Is this realistic for a complete noob to try during his lunch break in the parking lot with just a little under-seat tool roll?

edit: not bent, just crooked.

That should work.

But you realise that shouldn't happen right (how did it happen?)? Get them straight and tight to go home, but you need to them loosen them off, get it straightened out properly, and then go over every clamp bolt on the yokes / bars (if you have clipons) with loctite and a torque wrench set to the correct value.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saga posted:

That should work.

But you realise that shouldn't happen right (how did it happen?)? Get them straight and tight to go home, but you need to them loosen them off, get it straightened out properly, and then go over every clamp bolt on the yokes / bars (if you have clipons) with loctite and a torque wrench set to the correct value.

I took a spill a little while ago but haven't been able to ride since because I'd been waiting on a replacement shift pedal. Finally got it replaced on the weekend and hopped on the bike today, and just noticed they're crooked on the way in. It ultimately might mean something is loose somewhere anyways though, because I went down at a very low speed so it doesn't seem like it should have messed up the forks if everything was properly tightened.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I took a spill a little while ago but haven't been able to ride since because I'd been waiting on a replacement shift pedal. Finally got it replaced on the weekend and hopped on the bike today, and just noticed they're crooked on the way in. It ultimately might mean something is loose somewhere anyways though, because I went down at a very low speed so it doesn't seem like it should have messed up the forks if everything was properly tightened.

It would just be strange for one fork leg to rotate unless you had one or more loose clamp bolts, rather than that you've bent the bars (assuming not clip-ons) or bent a fork slider.

But you're looking at the bike not me, so you would know. If you can make it straight by twisting a fork leg and retightening the clamp bolts, then I guess that's what happened. Obviously you just want to make sure once you're home that it's properly straight and that all the clamp bolts are correctly torqued and loctite'd.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

It would just be strange for one fork leg to rotate unless you had one or more loose clamp bolts, rather than that you've bent the bars (assuming not clip-ons) or bent a fork slider.

But you're looking at the bike not me, so you would know. If you can make it straight by twisting a fork leg and retightening the clamp bolts, then I guess that's what happened. Obviously you just want to make sure once you're home that it's properly straight and that all the clamp bolts are correctly torqued and loctite'd.

I regularly see bikes twist their front forks in the triples when they go down. Sometimes it's minor, sometimes it's not, but the torque values on those pinch bolts is really low (12-18 foot pounds typically) and it's super easy for things to twist when the wheel acts as a lever to rotate the forks in the triples.

anothertenbux, full choke and a lot of cranking is probably what it's gonna take. I'd recommend running jumpers from the battery to a car battery (with the car off) so that you have enough juice to start it up.

Why are you trying to start it though? If you can't go ride it, don't bother.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It's the clamp bolts I want to loosen, right? Then just knock the wheel around a bit? Unfortunately, I don't have a large enough hex bit for them. Guess I'll have to live with crooked handlebars until I can make it to the hardware store.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll need to loosen the front axle, the pinch bolts, the triple tree pinch bolts (upper and lower). Make sure you support the bike when you do the triple tree pinch bolts so the triples don't slide down the forks. Everything should pretty pop straight once the triples get loose.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
So the gas mileage on the warrior has plummeted. I was getting around 100 miles to the tank, and now it's around 80.

I've been taking it to work once or twice a week just to avoid winterizing. Could the mileage problem be that it's a big air cooled engine driving less than 15 minutes at a time in 25 degree air? I'm guessing it never gets close to operating temp.

Are there other things I should check?

Edit: Filters are recently cleaned K&N, P.O. put an air kit and power commander III on it, but I don't think those will randomly change up their mappings without the 02 sensor module. Also, brand new spark plugs. They look bright white, but aside from being brand new I'm not sure it's possible to get an accurate read without reaching operating temp.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 23, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Why not eliminate an option if you think the problem is that it's not getting up to temp? Fill it up completely, ride it for 40 miles, then fill again and see how much you've consumed. Also check for fuel leaks while it's running and make sure the idle hasn't crept up on you.

And you spark plug electrodes should not be a "bright white," even if they've got like 20 miles on them. Tan is what you want.

Napkins
Apr 9, 2009
Which company makes the best frame sliders for an 06 GSX-R 600? I'd prefer the no-cut style but I'm open to any suggestions.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Why not eliminate an option if you think the problem is that it's not getting up to temp? Fill it up completely, ride it for 40 miles, then fill again and see how much you've consumed.

Cause it's 20 degrees out, and even with my heated gloves it's too cold to go longer than the 15 miles to work.

I was just surprised when twice now, the low fuel lit up after only 80 miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I've never used heated gloves but Hippo Hands plus regular winter gloves are keeping me good in similar weather up here in Connecticut. Under Armor helps too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Napkins posted:

Which company makes the best frame sliders for an 06 GSX-R 600? I'd prefer the no-cut style but I'm open to any suggestions.

No cuts are typically completely useless in a wreck. Unless your fairings actually have a natural cutout where the slider can be attached to a solid mounting point, the no-cut kind usually have a bracket that is nowhere near strong enough in a wreck to do poo poo. I've seen tons of gsxr's that have frame sliders literally bent over 90 degrees not protecting poo poo.

I'd recommend buying a kind you need to cut. It's not so bad from what I've seen, just go slow with the saw and make sure you measure 1004040 times before cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Measure a million times, cut once" its the frame slider installers creed.