Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Countdown until someone suggests an auto-ban of low rated songs.

I remember what that was like.

Maybe we could increase the 3 day waiting period to 5 or 6 days? There's still plenty of music that hasn't been played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
We need a button to add a random unplayed dong.

A "lonely dong" button.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The station used to have "Unplayed dongs only mode" and "Short dongs only mode." I think it'd be a good idea to bring that back.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Short dongs only?

Sounds like my kind of station!

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
The three days of unplayed short dongs mode on G1 were a thing of beauty.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Would we have enough unplayed dongs for that?

And how short is short?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
It was all unplayed dongs in the database under a minute. It lasted three days because then we ran out of dongs to add. If we did it with our current database we could probably get a couple days out of it.

Just bringing back unplayed dongs mode would probably help some of the complaints.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I heard Jonnty was fighting Godzilla, and we lost our nuke, and that's why it hasn't been implemented. I'm not quite sure if that's right though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also it's christmas break and lots of college kids are home and lots of people who listen while working are off work. That might have an impact. Right now it says there's 34 listeners, and a couple months ago at this time of day there'd be like 40 or 50, so it's not like it's a huge falloff.

If people want hundreds of simultaneous listeners, then the format has to move away from the, let's say, non-mainstream playlist. If people want to keep this format, then we will not have hundreds of listeners. There's really no way to escape that, and it's stupid to argue with the people saying "these songs turn people off" because they're not wrong. The question is only, do you want those offputting songs so much that you will sacrifice listenership to keep them? If so, then great, there's no problem.

If not, then a format change of some kind is necessary.

Personally I'm OK with the current format, but also, will only tune in maybe a couple times a week.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
We're up to 40, apparently! Just a few more than usual, but I guess this thread is attracting some people again.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If people want hundreds of simultaneous listeners, then the format has to move away from the, let's say, non-mainstream playlist. If people want to keep this format, then we will not have hundreds of listeners.

I think the likes of Spotify and other on-demand music solutions have eroded the listener base. I remember when (2005? 2006?) the usual peak listenership was close to a hundred, and the playlist averaged 8ish hours. There was a LOT of variety then, and I consider that the peak of the station so far actually.

Before people castrate me, do understand that I am intimately aware of "people genuinely like Costes/Taco teh wodner dough/Diamanda Galas/Cannibal Corpse" and agree 100% (I like them all, and was introduced to all but the last one through GBS-FM). All I'm saying is that in the current active user climate, those people liking the, shall we say, conventionally-unappealing stuff are in a large majority and, though they may not add it exclusively, it features a lot on the station. If there was a larger active userbase, the variety would correspondingly be larger.

I agree with bringing back unplayed dongs mode and a random unplayed button. I should upload more stuff myself. Way back when the vast majority of my adds (in the thousands on GBS-FM 1) were random, previously-unplayed dongs, I could count on adding something novel to the playlist a lot of the time. I don't think it would be detracting from the station or its ethos if we active users didn't insist on wringing new users through the mangle with the Pokosys and Costeses in quite such a thorough way.

I still think Ganjalice vs. Chief Packabowl beats the poo poo outta Zabbah.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kaiho posted:

I think the likes of Spotify and other on-demand music solutions have eroded the listener base. I remember when (2005? 2006?) the usual peak listenership was close to a hundred, and the playlist averaged 8ish hours. There was a LOT of variety then, and I consider that the peak of the station so far actually.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say here, but we maxed out the stream a couple times on G2's re-launch (125 users) and had 12 hour playlists.

a long playlist just means we're popular!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Honestly, I think people just flog the gimmicks too hard. If this means we need to increase the time between replaying a song to a week or two, then let's do that. If this means unplayed dongs mode, let's do that.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I've unilaterally put the replay interval to a week. I hope nobody minds, but if you do, I suppose you ought to familiarise yourself with the definition of "unilateral" and be quiet.

(but seriously: sound good?)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jonnty posted:

I've unilaterally put the replay interval to a week. I hope nobody minds, but if you do, I suppose you ought to familiarise yourself with the definition of "unilateral" and be quiet.

Sounds awesome. Let's rock it with new music! :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

N'th-ing an easier way to find unplayed or other random music, music by genres (if only the database had those) or by date.

Would it be possible to design a dynamic minimum duration between dong replays? There would be a minimum, and it would naturally saturate at some maximum. basically, if there was shorter between replays, the delay until the next time it could be added would become longer. Immediate disadvantage: It would be hard to understand.
The advantage I could see would be that it could allow fads/memes to continue for a while, but they couldn't continue forever because of the increasing delay, and hopefully the long delay in the end would wash out the fad, but it could still return after a while.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jonnty posted:

I've been saying that the mods need a way to increase the timeout on stuff without banning/unbanning. That's really the best way in my opinion, as you have a (supposedly) rational person evaluating if something is a problem without some arcane formula. A little spike in popularity in a song for whatever reason over the short term isn't a bad thing. It's the songs that get added on heavy repeat just to annoy people that's the problem.

But that's just how I'd handle it. It's not like we don't have enough music to be able to handle a week refresh.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Jonnty posted:

Sounds good to me.

Needs an unplayed mode too.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I don't really know what it's making fun of

Get educated.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I also think it would be nice to have a "Forgotten Songs" mode, where only songs that haven't been played for more than a year would be able to be added.

Some songs on the database might be forgotten about otherwise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are thousands of songs in the database that have never been played. A button that would cue a random 0-plays song would be pretty cool too.

Anyway I like the productive way that this discussion is trending.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I guess you could say that I'm relatively new to GBS-FM, and I could see why others would be turned off by this. I'll listen to the station, and it'll be either techno, metal, or some joke song. I'll listen to it, and hell, usually I'll like it. Unfortunately, I'll wind up not really suggesting any songs because I usually feel like the song I'm suggesting isn't really related to what's playing and that I'll be the only one who likes it. But that's just my two cents.

Also, it's kind of a pain to have any and all communication in either irc or the thread. That said, anyone know of a good irc client?

Fake edit:

Leperflesh posted:

A button that would cue a random 0-plays song would be pretty cool too.

I like this idea.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

Captain McStabbin posted:

Unfortunately, I'll wind up not really suggesting any songs because I usually feel like the song I'm suggesting isn't really related to what's playing and that I'll be the only one who likes it. But that's just my two cents.

This hardly ever stops anyone else (especially the part about you being the only one who likes it). Add whatever you like. Part of the fun is seeing everyone react with anger at your contributions to the playlist.

That said, anyone know of a good irc client?

A lot of people use the Mibbit web client through the link on the GBS-FM website. Otherwise, some people seem to like ChatZilla.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Unfortunately, I'll wind up not really suggesting any songs because I usually feel like the song I'm suggesting isn't really related to what's playing and that I'll be the only one who likes it. But that's just my two cents.
Add whatever you want, it doesn't have to be related to anything. And it doesn't matter if nobody else likes it.

quote:

Also, it's kind of a pain to have any and all communication in either irc or the thread.
So post in the forum.

quote:

The Mibbit client that's linked on the site works really well.

Sonnekki
Mar 14, 2010

For Windows, I recommend Y-Chat, the free version of X-Chat. Honestly, I'd recommend the same for Linux, since it's also free, and I have no idea for Mac unfortuately.

I'm also new to this, and I love it! First heard about it from a friend who was here long before I was.

GBS-FM fully satisfies my need for maximum entropy in music. I think it's a great way for music by small or local artists to get heard. For example, I uploaded all of William Walter & Co. Slowly working my way through, and though it's being not being received incredibly well, maybe it'll make a good impression on someone, because I think the music is pretty cool.

If I had to make one suggestion, it would be to clear out the comment entry box when a song changes so that when you press enter it doesn't comment on the *next* song. Or maybe I should not be stupid and just comment earlier. :ohdear:

macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
This is an okay irc client for OS X users:
http://www.uplinklabs.net/~tycho/projects/xchat-aqua/

Unrelated, but I hope I never hear "Alpha Test Pilot - The Ballard of Bob Pokosy" again. Ugh

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Blame Test Pilot Monkey. Blame him so hard.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonnty posted:

Yep.

And again requesting the "show me all my unplayed tracks" feature. :)

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Borommakott posted:

Blame Test Pilot Monkey. Blame him so hard.
Hey man, no drama.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Just a friendly two-month follow-up on the Bob Pokosy {extended} technical issue. Has any progress been made?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

This hardly ever stops anyone else (especially the part about you being the only one who likes it). Add whatever you like. Part of the fun is seeing everyone react with anger at your contributions to the playlist.

I feel like there's less and less of that these days. I feel people don't really bother voting or commenting either way :/

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I think we could attract more listeners if we just tone down on adding songs that are both horrible/annoying AND long. And I don't mean 10min Bob Pokosy. Yesterday a mod added (or approved an add) for a 26-minute song that was just static noise. :geno:

I genuinely like Anal oval office and Excrementory Grindfuckers. :colbert:
I mean, how can you not with stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD9zfw_b-3k

Sonnekki posted:

For Windows, I recommend Y-Chat, the free version of X-Chat. Honestly, I'd recommend the same for Linux, since it's also free, and I have no idea for Mac unfortuately.
Oh wow, thanks! I'm switching to that immediately.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Yay on the new cool-off period.

If we're going to cut out some of the crap does that mean less lovely Chrimbo music?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jormagund posted:

Yay on the new cool-off period.

If we're going to cut out some of the crap does that mean less lovely Chrimbo music?

Anything played in the last days won't make it for Christmas, meaning that should you listen on Xmas day your stream will be delightfully easy on the festive poo poo.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
A week sounds fine.

I'll make sure only to add the most festive Black Metal on Christmas day.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Kaiho posted:

Anything played in the last days won't make it for Christmas, meaning that should you listen on Xmas day your stream will be delightfully easy on the festive poo poo.
There's still lots and lots of Christmas music left that hasn't been played in the last week, so don't worry just yet !!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah, jorg, I think you greatly underestimate how much christmas music there is.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Sorry to spoil the good vibe, but I don't see how will a 0 times played feature or a longer interval between songs help anything.

I have a pretty wide musical taste and yet I normally know only 1 song in 10. That means that as far as I am concerned, those 9 songs were played 0 times. So the 0 plays feature is already here unless you're on GBS-FM 24/7 and already know too much songs.

Also I don't notice terrible songs played over and over. Since I vote them low, I can recognize them later and they don't reappear that often. Again, no need for changes there.

Instead I suggest we make use of the voting system! What's the point of it anyway? Great songs and crap songs are treated equally. Here are a few suggestions:
- add rating to the song list so when you want to pick something from an artist you don't know well you will make a more informed choice
- when there's less than X songs on the list, a bot adds a random song rated 4.5+
- songs rated lower have a longer cool down period

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

songs rated lower have a longer cool down period
Hey Doctor Zero, I think we have a winner!

Seriously though, the rating should never effect anything, otherwise songs aren't equal.

And the unplayed dongs mode isn't supposed to improve the signal to noise ratio, it's just some more fun. Russian Roulette isn't the same without a gun, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Doctor Malaver posted:

- songs rated lower have a longer cool down period

Given peoples inclination to be shitheads on the internet, you can imagine how many songs would get downvoted just to be a oval office to other listeners (this already happens, but with little other effect than the very rare rageout in the comments or irc).

We've been discussing things like this pretty much since the station first launched in 2004 and it's just not a good idea to let votes decide anything other than what peoples initial expectations will be before it plays.

• Locked thread