Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Funnily enough, Tom answered that question too:

Formspring posted:

Ok, if the rock that Coyote used to replace his tooth has to stay a rock if he removes it, does that mean that Coyote stuffed a knife into his mouth to replace a tooth earlier?

Nope. It was one of his teeth. The blade is still his tooth.

I think that's related to this:

Formspring posted:

Would Coyote ever teach Annie to body swap if she asked?

Sure, but Coyote already gave that ability to Renard.

So wait, does that mean that when Coyote gives someone an ability, he can no longer use it? He’s actually GIVING it away?

Yes.

If Coyote gives a gift away (like body-taking), can he still use it himself?

No, but he might have different abilities that do something similar.

This seems to be one of the few boundaries on Coyote. He can give people things, but once he does he's given them away and no longer possesses them himself. He made a substitute tooth, but really the knife is still his tooth and the tooth is still a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Funnily enough, Tom answered that question too:

I think that's related to this:

This seems to be one of the few boundaries on Coyote. He can give people things, but once he does he's given them away and no longer possesses them himself. He made a substitute tooth, but really the knife is still his tooth and the tooth is still a rock.

That's really cool. I wonder if my 5 year old nephew would appreciate a Gunnerkrigg book.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

My daughter liked the first book when she was six, so it's certainly possible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yes, and the key to this theory would be whether Coyote has the use of both of his eyes, or whether one is just for show. Does he have a tendency to approach people from one direction? etc. Him juggling his eyeballs means nothing. The coyote has also more than two eyes, IIRC, so that clouds the issue.

Or we can just wait for Tom to explain.

quote:

If Jones were Coyote's eye, she would not be a neutral party to the Forest and the Court.

Given Surma's activities, the neutrality of supposedly neutral parties seems rather exaggerated. Jones claims to be a neutral party, (and even if she is part of the Coyote, she probably can still rebel), but word of Tom also says she has previously purposefully lied to the Court.

Anyway, this is just wild speculation at the moment, but with the earlier discussion of that cover art, I just can't unsee it.

EDIT2:

quote:

One time he threw an eye so high it became a star.

(Arcturus, if you were wondering)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 25, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Wandering Eye could just be a nickname. She could have been a spy for the forest at some point, or it could mean something else entirely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Dodgeball posted:

Wandering Eye could just be a nickname. She could have been a spy for the forest at some point, or it could mean something else entirely.

That's a Walking Eye, though. And after it was used as H.E.L.P.eR.'s new body. And trying to kill Hitler.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

McGravin posted:

That's a Walking Eye, though. And after it was used as H.E.L.P.eR.'s new body. And trying to kill Hitler.

I'm just sayin'.
Jones is a robot.

Also, I sold one of these today at work.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

I'm not having any luck and I can't look right now, but have we seen both of Coyote's eyes in every encounter?

If it's not that, it's probably the crow/raven we saw in the brief vision of Jeanne. I will stick to this.

I'm secretly hoping that that raven will turn out to be the Raven. Gunnerkrigg court and the forest-technology divide is just an elaborate contest between trickster gods. :ssh:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know that eyes are a common theme in the comic, but I really think that Wandering Eye and Thousand eyes are linked somehow. The wandering eye is the eye that can go past the bridge? Maybe not, but the only time we've seen a tic-toc past the bridge, it was shut down.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Tea-san posted:

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

This is a totally understandable sentiment and the author of MSPA has recently said something similar on, perhaps ironically, his own formspring -- that he doesn't want it to become the Homestuckpedia and that the comic should be understandable on its own merits.

Which, by the way, I think Gunnerkrigg does a great job of. I've never even looked at the formspring besides when people post the answers up here. It's fun to have a bit of extra mystery :)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tea-san posted:

From the quotes people post here, it seems like you're using the formspring to give out information that isn't readily available in the comic itself. You probably shouldn't do that. Just stop answering the questions that relate to unseen plot elements, e.g. what would happen if you pulled Coyote's rock-tooth, and save it for reminding people of what they have already seen and answering questions not relating to plot.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Having read Tom and Hussie's formspring, I can see why tom would want to dump it. The two guys take drastically different approaches to answering questions. Hussie's answers are full of hilarity and sarcasm and almost an update to the comic in themselves, Tom seems to just one word answers and it kinda seems like he sees it as a pain in the rear end.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Who's got time for hilarity when I have to answer whether or not Annie's hair colour is significant to the plot four thousand times?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tea-san posted:

Who's got time for hilarity when I have to answer whether or not Annie's hair colour is significant to the plot four thousand times?
I think the key is to ignore most of the questions and not take the other 5% seriously. :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tea-san posted:

Yeah... I think it'll probably be a good idea.

Or just save up the significant questions and answer them once they are revealed in the comic.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Tea-san posted:

To be honest I never read your Formspring and I have no problem reading the comic. Though if it's helping some people "get" Gunnerkrigg better why not keep it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

madprocess posted:

To be honest I never read your Formspring and I have no problem reading the comic. Though if it's helping some people "get" Gunnerkrigg better why not keep it?

Tea-san posted:

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.

madprocess posted:

To be honest I never read your Formspring and I have no problem reading the comic.
this, and if it's a hassle you'd rather not be doing then don't do it etc

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Tea-san posted:

I'm one of the people that enjoy reading it. (Uh... clearly, I guess.) I see that and the predecessor forum question threads as more like the Gunnerkrigg DVD extras; not really important for the comic itself, but cool to get some tidbits about your creative process and corners of the background material the comic isn't going to hit directly.

That said, you really do seem to get some very dumb questions, a lot of which amount to "what will happen in the next page of the comic?". If it's become a source of stress rather than something fun, just ditch it. You already spend a lot of time and energy just getting us the comic itself; nobody is going to be upset that you don't then spend a ton of additional time and energy explaining every little thing. (Nobody worth listening to, anyway.)

Honestly, I think a lot of people ask you questions not because they want the answer, really, but because they want to see you respond to THEIR question. It's like getting on the reader page of a print comic. Even if your answer is "ok" or "remains to be seen".

EDIT: I just got the Jeanne print from my wife as one of my Christmas presents. It is awesome. Looking for a place to put it up now. (Unfortunately, we do not have a crypt or ossuary.)

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 25, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Adding background to fluff usually ends up dissolving any suspense or intrigue built up by just plotting. If everything is explained, clarified then you leave yourself a tight spot for maneuvering the story later.
I wonder how much less boring or trivial star wars would've been if Wookiepedia had never come to exist.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Star Wars was ossifying its backstory long before Wookieepedia. Long before the prequels, even.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't read your formspring, but I like the little tidbits that get posted in here. The comic stands on its own, and if the formspring is a nuisance, just drop it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I like forumspring. I like getting a authors perspective on the story as they are writing it. Which is a cool thing that is pretty near unique to the format.

That being said, if it becomes a hassle you should definitely axe it.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I'm sure I would like formspring if there didn't seem to be one hundred inane questions that could easily be answered by comprehending the comic for every good question that actually illuminates something. Like Tea-san said, four thousand questions about whether Antimony's hair color is vital to the plot.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder if the Wandering Eye bit is somehow related to this rather small (yet importantly focused) look at a certain necklace...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=513

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

McGravin posted:

I'm sure I would like formspring if there didn't seem to be one hundred inane questions that could easily be answered by comprehending the comic for every good question that actually illuminates something. Like Tea-san said, four thousand questions about whether Antimony's hair color is vital to the plot.
Maybe he could only answer questions whenever a chapter is over and only about that particular chapter. Or he could just drop it, that's fine too.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Zorak posted:

I wonder if the Wandering Eye bit is somehow related to this rather small (yet importantly focused) look at a certain necklace...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=513

Those were all around Reynardine's cell, I thought it had something specifically to do with him

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Maldraedior posted:

Those were all around Reynardine's cell, I thought it had something specifically to do with him

Just five pages later, yes, exactly that is stated outright.

And I gotta say, if people can miss stuff like that, I cannot begin to imagine how repetitive and inane the Formspring questions must get.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I also don't read the formspring, and I'm not having any problems with following the comic. I do enjoy the occasional tidbit that get echoed here in the thread, but I consider it all just speculation fodder for people who can't help but guess at what is coming next, and not important to the core plot.

It sounds like I'm only seeing a 'best of' and if it's grinding at you or disturbing your creative process, then take a break or drop it or what have you. That said, I wouldn't mind a world book that goes into a bunch of detail about the gunnerkrigg universe, but that understandably usually shows up after the end of the storyline.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I do enjoy reading your barely-restrained irritation into the goofy questions you get, Tom. It's even more fun to read your answers in Alan Rickman's voice. But Formspring shouldn't be a chore.

You might just throttle back and answer the questions which aren't pants-on-head retarded and/or spergbots who want to know whether Annie could REALLY cut the earth in two with the Coyote Tooth. Which would probably free up a ton of your time.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I'm a little late for the rock/tooth debate, but I think this page explains it. The rock was already his tooth before he stuck it in his mouth.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mirage posted:

I do enjoy reading your barely-restrained irritation into the goofy questions you get, Tom. It's even more fun to read your answers in Alan Rickman's voice. But Formspring shouldn't be a chore.

You might just throttle back and answer the questions which aren't pants-on-head retarded and/or spergbots who want to know whether Annie could REALLY cut the earth in two with the Coyote Tooth. Which would probably free up a ton of your time.

I think the problem is that to answer just the good questions you still have to sift through the ocean of inane bullshit.

Yesterday's 12x"This has not been shown in the comic" was amusing but if it's a chore I wouldn't hold it against Tea-san if he simply dropped it altogether.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I want a Coyote plushie.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I want a Coyote plushie.

I want a Coyote Stretch Armstrong.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I want a Coyote plushie.

You already have one in your room. Now try to find it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Rei_ posted:

You already have one in your room. Now try to find it.

Oh... oh God...

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
Coyote stopped smiling. That can't be good.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Snicket posted:

Coyote stopped smiling. That can't be good.
This page raised some serious questions and I can see this getting really interesting, really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Was I the only person that found Coyote's expression in the last panel hilarious?

He looks genuinely shocked, possibly for the first time ever.