Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Cheers. Although, the signal is still as lovely as it was yesterday and i can't even pick the channel up properly :/ that could be why i missed it on the TV guide thingy.

I thought we were long past the lovely times of having crap TV reception, especially with the nationwide switchover to digital next year.

You probably need to upgrade your aerial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

You probably need to upgrade your aerial.

Possibly. I just think there are loads of things hosed up about here. My mum using the blender in the kitchen downstairs fucks up the reception on some channels, for example.

As well as that, the BT hub is in the living room downstairs and i'd say that, at most, it's maybe 20 feet away from my PC yet i only ever get 2 bars of signal strength. So there might be some crazy signal blocking poo poo with the house i'm in.

I was thinking about trying out that BTFON thing that's being advertised, but my computer says that it's an unsecured connection so i'm a little wary of switching over to it (despite it getting a better signal strength).

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
There's a new Adam & Joe podcast out - they did a pre-record which went out on Xmas day http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/adamandjoe

There's a Charlie Brooker Wipe thing on tonight.

If you're a Stewart Lee fan get his book (How I Escaped My Certain Fate). It's amazing.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

If you're a Stewart Lee fan get his book (How I Escaped My Certain Fate). It's amazing.

Reading this at the moment, it's great for any fans who've seen all of his releases - lots of backstory and explanation of the weirder jokes through his routines. It comes as no surprise that he's so well versed in written English. I got the book signed by him when I went to see Vegetable Stew just before Christmas, too - it was great, though it would have been much better if I hadn't seen "If You Prefer A Milder Comedian", as there's a lot of repeated "jokes".

I saw Richard Herring's Christ on a Bike two days later too, which was also highly entertaining. His analysis on the first page of the New Testament had me (and the audience) in loving stitches - probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

edit: I got his book signed too as my Secret Santa got it for me not two days prior!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 27, 2010

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
For 2011 I'm greatly looking for to the new series of the Thick of it (I'm wondering if they will bring back Malcolm in the official opposition) and that new Jewish sitcom Friday Night Dinner. Will be interesting to see what it's like compared to Grandma's house which was so much like my own family that they even had some of the same furniture.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Charlie Brookers' NewsWipe is on just now, which is lovely (the idea of Debate Hero being a particularly wonderful one), but can anyone please tell me the piece of classical music that was on during the BP oil spill section, when the American is talking with revulsion about Dawn dish soap?. It's driving me a little mad trying to remember it.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
No Tim Keys, tvguide.co.uk lied to me. :(

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Irisi posted:

but can anyone please tell me the piece of classical music that was on during the BP oil spill section, when the American is talking with revulsion about Dawn dish soap?. It's driving me a little mad trying to remember it.

While were asking for music, what was the music playing during Salman Rushdie's weird Ping-pong based interview on the One Show clip.
I rather enjoyed that. Charlie can make any masturbation joke funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm surprised you guys are asking what the music is though to be honest everything sounds slightly off with a moog, It is Henry Purcells Funeral of Queen Mary.

In other words, the classical original version of the Theme of Kubricks A Clockwork Orange. Here it is on YouTube.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I finally managed to make it all the way through something Brooker while visiting my family; normally my dad wanders in to the room half-way through a clip of some ITV poo poo and asks "what's this rubbish, isn't there something better on?".

My mum sat through all of it, but I don't think she really appreciated it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My Grandad slept through most of it, but me and my dad appreciated it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Shakespearean Beef posted:

charlie brooker redeems christmas

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

thebardyspoon posted:

Finally something worth watching, Whistle and I'll Come to You is just about to start in case anyone both forgot and is reading this.
I watched that, and sadly found it all rather forgettable. It all felt a bit by-the-numbers, a greatest hits of scary story plot points.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Irisi posted:

Charlie Brookers' NewsWipe is on just now, which is lovely (the idea of Debate Hero being a particularly wonderful one), but can anyone please tell me the piece of classical music that was on during the BP oil spill section, when the American is talking with revulsion about Dawn dish soap?. It's driving me a little mad trying to remember it.

Some of the music on the show was from IBM 1401 a users manual by Johan Johannson.

That was a great line about Richard Littlejohn from Brooker. "the kind of person that haunts [Littlejohn's] nightmares and confuses(?) his dreams.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 28, 2010

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm surprised you guys are asking what the music is though to be honest everything sounds slightly off with a moog, It is Henry Purcells Funeral of Queen Mary.

In other words, the classical original version of the Theme of Kubricks A Clockwork Orange. Here it is on YouTube.

Thank you very much. I was on the right track as I felt it had something to do with Kubrick. I was thinking it was in Barry Lyndon though. Silly old me.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kin posted:

Cheers. Although, the signal is still as lovely as it was yesterday and i can't even pick the channel up properly :/ that could be why i missed it on the TV guide thingy.

I thought we were long past the lovely times of having crap TV reception, especially with the nationwide switchover to digital next year.

Past few days I have been stuck with ITV3 and SKY 3. They bllamed atrometrics in october when I had no reception for an entire weekend. Must be nice to have such a nebulous scapegoat.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Popo posted:

While were asking for music, what was the music playing during Salman Rushdie's weird Ping-pong based interview on the One Show clip.
I rather enjoyed that. Charlie can make any masturbation joke funny.

Hot Butter - Popcorn

e: woah, it was on BBC2. Barry Shitpeas is still the best.

wickles fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 28, 2010

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just finished watching 2010wipe, and it was one of Brooker's best. Is it just me, or is Grace Dent quite a handsome woman?

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Just finished watching 2010wipe, and it was one of Brooker's best. Is it just me, or is Grace Dent quite a handsome woman?

If by handsome you mean looks like a man, then yes she is handsome.

Scant Consolation
Sep 4, 2006
Good Egg

Irisi posted:

It's the allegretto from Beethoven's 7th Symphony. They always seem to play this piece when Doug Stanhope makes an appearance.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

While there were a handful of more tasteful jokes (though that's not a comment on their quality), I was also pretty speechless when I saw the Japanese schoolgirls. There wasn't any subtext, the actual joke was that they had slanty eyes and talked funny (... because they're Japanese, lol).

Here's a related article by Johann Hari ranting about Little Britain, with much of the same reasoning.

From what I can gather, he hates Little Britain because it's made by people from the same class as most other British comedians, and that it makes fun of people that the left-wing media dedicate their lives to pretending to care about. His point is mainly bolstered by a quote from a random poster on an internet forum.

Btw what the gently caress happened to Charlotte Church?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Booze, fags and bairns.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This lecturer is terrible did he really just posit "but two objects of the same weight but different surface areas fall at different rates don't they! You've seen snowflakes drifting to earth and a snowball just hitting the ground" then do an experiment with styofoam to prove it and then doesn't go on to say "but of course in a vacuum they would fall at the same rate. It's the air thats doing it, gravity affects both objects the same" because that is a terrible abuse of science and is teaching kids exactly the wrong thing.

The dick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's not very good. He's trying to simplify concepts, but then he presents them in a hideously overcomplicated way. Also he can't seem to get two clear, coherent sentences out in a row.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hang on, wasn't that Gary Scottish Soldier program on channel 4 at some point?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This 2010 Unwrapped with Miranda Hart is pretty good. Very "xxxx the stupid version".

Except when Miranda is on the screen.

Obviously.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I seem to remember watching Little Britain and amongst the unfunny catchphrase comedy you would very occasionally get a clever and funny line that wasn't picked up on by the canned laughter. Then it would return to catchphrases again.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

DaWolfey posted:

This 2010 Unwrapped with Miranda Hart is pretty good. Very "xxxx the stupid version".

Except when Miranda is on the screen.

Obviously.

Yeah. Shame about the lack of Adam Buxton this year. Really loved the re-edit of Brian Cox.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Adrianics posted:

Did anyone watch The One Ronnie, by the way?

I did and I loved it. Sure it wasn't all hits but the majority of it was.
If only he'd make a series so we could have a decent sketch show on again.

billiam 8817
Oct 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hang on, wasn't that Gary Scottish Soldier program on channel 4 at some point?

Garys War?
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/garys-war/4od#2918310

I loved this. It first aired whilst I was in basic and caught it on 4OD later, would love to have seen more of it.

e: Fantastic, just through looking this up (wikipedia) seen this had a full series on beeb. I know what im binging through this week.

billiam 8817 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 29, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

billiam 8817 posted:

Garys War?
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/garys-war/4od#2918310

I loved this. It first aired whilst I was in basic and caught it on 4OD later, would love to have seen more of it.

e: Fantastic, just through looking this up (wikipedia) seen this had a full series on beeb. I know what im binging through this week.

There is an episode of it on iPlayer right now, which is why I got really confused. It is worth a watch if you like your squaddies silly happy go lucky scots.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

wickles posted:

I got this for Christmas (as well as giving it to my brother), and if you are a fan of Stewart Lee it's really worth getting. A big part of it is 3 annotated transcripts of his last 3 stand up shows, which sounds a bit lazy, but each page is about 20% of the transcribed show, and 80% notes on how jokes are constructed, or more background on what he was talking about in the show. The most suprising thing so far was the role Ricky Gervais played in his recent return to live stand up.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

goatface posted:

He's not very good. He's trying to simplify concepts, but then he presents them in a hideously overcomplicated way. Also he can't seem to get two clear, coherent sentences out in a row.

Is he really the most charismatic choice for that sort of show? He was awful at presenting to kids.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ah, this Screenwipe review of the year is amazing. Loved the inception review, and the cat in a bin segment is hilarious.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

pisshead posted:

From what I can gather, he hates Little Britain because it's made by people from the same class as most other British comedians, and that it makes fun of people that the left-wing media dedicate their lives to pretending to care about. His point is mainly bolstered by a quote from a random poster on an internet forum.

Btw what the gently caress happened to Charlotte Church?

I'm one of the biggest lefties I know, but I just cannot stand Johann Hari. Everything offends him! And my God, he is one of the whiniest, most insufferable pricks to be given media space. I'm pretty sure he's the reason why right wingers hate the left.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Barry Shitpeas segments of the Screenwipe End Of Year review made me gurn like crazy.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fatkraken posted:

ah, this Screenwipe review of the year is amazing. Loved the inception review, and the cat in a bin segment is hilarious.

But WHY? WHY would you put a cat in a bin? why? WHY??? IF YOU JUST TELL US WHY WE MIGHT UNDERSTAND.

WHY!?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Brown Moses posted:

The most suprising thing so far was the role Ricky Gervais played in his recent return to live stand up.

Was it that he was watching the telly and Gervais popped on with one of his shows about how he sent his stupid mate to another country to say stupid ignorant things into a camera; and while he was sitting there (with Ricky constantly giggling like a moron), he had an epiphany that comedy like this was complete and utter poo poo and he had to come back and help save the genre?

I might go and pick the book up tomorrow because i've been looking for a good comedy read for a while now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Karl is funny. Is this thread down to liking only one funny person now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He says Ricky Gervais was the entertainment co-ordinator (or something) at one of the universities he used to do stand up at, and was a huge fan of Stewart Lee. Then many years later, after Stewart Lee quit stand up, he went to see Ricky Gervais with some friends, and was stunned and horrified to see Ricky Gervais doing what Stewart Lee considered to be material that was very similar to his own style, and playing to massive audiences, when 10 years before Stewart Lee played to near empty theatres doing the same style of comedy.