Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are probably trying to maximize the likelihood of an impulse purchase. Shopping carts give you time to change your mind. Also you are more likely to keep buying I think if you have to work to see how much you are spending on books in total. Apparently that is worth more to them than the credit card fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

maxnmona posted:

That's what he's saying he doesn't want, although I'm not clear why.
It's probably some form of OCD, but I'd rather have one purchase on my credit card than several smaller ones. I also tend to toss things that interest me into my cart then trim it down just before checkout.

It really isn't a huge deal though, just something I wondered.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

traslin posted:

In my limited experience, each library has a different set of books, so I'm assuming they make separate deals with overdrive. Also, each book a library has access to has a limited number of licenses the library can give out. For most of the recent, popular books, I have to get on a waiting list to wait for someone else's license to expire.

Libraries have to purchase each copy of a book they want to be able to lend out, so if your library only has one copy of a popular book, it's because they're either not being funded enough or they don't care about e-books enough.

To answer the question about whether it's worth it to have access to multiple libraries' Overdrive systems, yes, it is. Personally, I have access to three different systems and they all have different content.

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010
Well, I went to bn to look at the nooks. The bw one had "loose" buttons and seemed annoyingly sluggish with page turns. The nook color was pretty sweet, but for costing as much as a netbook, I dunno if that is worth it to me. I wish I could rent a kindle for a week or something :)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Go to best buy, they should have both nooks and kindles to try.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also, Target and Staples now sell Kindles, if what you meant was "I just want to demo one for a few minutes".

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Aphasian posted:

If you like the idea of ye olde EX LIBRIS bookplates on yer newfangled electronic book device, I have ~4,500 for your perusal (formatting up to you):
http://picasaweb.google.com/JeremiahBritt

Replying to a semi-old post, but where did you get all of these from? Some of these bookplates are kind of hosed up.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Just saw this posted on lifehacker:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/x8bb-TNB__E/you-can-now-lend-your-kindle-books-to-a-friend-for-14-days

Apparently you can loan some Kindle books for 14 days now.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Anybody have experience with foot notes (end notes?) in a kindle? I want to give Infinite Jest a shot, but it sure does have a lot little numbers in superscript.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BrainParasite posted:

Anybody have experience with foot notes (end notes?) in a kindle? I want to give Infinite Jest a shot, but it sure does have a lot little numbers in superscript.

Footnotes in ebooks depend on how the publisher sets them up. Ideally the number/superscript will be a clickable link to the appropriate point in the footnotes section. There may or may not be a link back from the footnote to your place in the text, but whatever kind of back-arrow function your device/software has usually brings you back to where you were when you clicked the link.

Or there may be nothing but a number stuck into the text and you have to manually navigate to the right place in the footnotes section (assuming they bothered to include the text of the footnotes at all).

It depends on how much effort the publisher wanted to put into formatting the ebook really.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2010

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Or there may be nothing but a number stuck into the text and you have to manually navigate to the right place in the footnotes section (assuming they bothered to include the text of the footnotes at all).

Footnotes make up a pretty significant part of that book, it would be pretty meaningless without them. Even some of the footnotes have footnotes. I'm not going to spend any money to check out what the ebook is like, but hopefully it would be rendered something like the ideal you laid out.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

A little bit of googling says this: http://gravitationalpull.net/wp/?p=845

Given that, I might try it. I've had the actual book sitting on my to-read shelf for awhile, but this seems pretty conveniently done.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hay I just remembered that I bought Infinite Jest but never read it. :-/ Anyway, the footnotes in my copy in the iPhone Kindle app are links that point to the note text, then there is a "(back to text)" link after each note. So they pretty much did it right.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They work well on the Android app in Terry Pratchett books. He has a lot too.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
This makes me curious what House of Leaves is like on an eReader.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mnemosyne posted:

This makes me curious what House of Leaves is like on an eReader.

You tell us. :D
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1322

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You'd think eReader software would be sophisticated enough that you could have the option of turning on 'smart' footnotes/endnotes, where they'd appear at the bottom of the 'page' you were on in a slightly different font/formating. You could have a rule where if the note was long the software wouldn't let it take up more then half a page it continued on the next page.

Literally have them dynamically injected into the text, say, after the paragraph that they were footnoted in.

Or have the option of scrolling around and clicking on them, but I really dislike that. It's clunky.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

You tell us. :D
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1322

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/0375703764

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

You'd think eReader software would be sophisticated enough that you could have the option of turning on 'smart' footnotes/endnotes, where they'd appear at the bottom of the 'page' you were on in a slightly different font/formating. You could have a rule where if the note was long the software wouldn't let it take up more then half a page it continued on the next page.

Literally have them dynamically injected into the text, say, after the paragraph that they were footnoted in.

Or have the option of scrolling around and clicking on them, but I really dislike that. It's clunky.

It's not the software so much as the format. Join the epub standard committee if you want to change things.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Oh. I thought I was being helpful. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It actually would be pretty drat useful if the Nook showed the footnotes on the LCD rather than jump to wherever they are. That wouldn't require any changes in the standard, it would just have to open up the book a 2nd time on the LCD portion and go to the right footnote.

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!
A couple of times now, my Kindle seems to have "reset" itself. Which is fine. I'm at the main menu with all my books there. The problem is that I've lost my bookmark on what I've been reading. I have to flip through dozens of pages to find where I left off.

Is there a way that I can just click on "Last Read Page" for each book?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Are you using the Amazon leather case?

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)
My rooted Nook restored itself, apparently this is a known issue right now. ProTip, use Titanium Backup.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Factory Ten posted:

A couple of times now, my Kindle seems to have "reset" itself. Which is fine. I'm at the main menu with all my books there. The problem is that I've lost my bookmark on what I've been reading. I have to flip through dozens of pages to find where I left off.

It should remember automatically, there is a "go to last read page" for Amazon-bought books though. The only people who have complained about this happening in the threads are people who keep their wireless turned off, so if that's the case then just turn your wireless on.

edit: Or if you mean it physically restarted then you probably have one of those defective cases, yeah.

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!

Ara posted:

It should remember automatically, there is a "go to last read page" for Amazon-bought books though. The only people who have complained about this happening in the threads are people who keep their wireless turned off, so if that's the case then just turn your wireless on.

edit: Or if you mean it physically restarted then you probably have one of those defective cases, yeah.

I do have the leather case. Does this create a problem?

If I turn on wireless, doesn't that become a huge battery drain?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mnemosyne posted:

Replying to a semi-old post, but where did you get all of these from? Some of these bookplates are kind of hosed up.

Collected over the years, either from art websites or from digital collections various libraries have made available. Yeah, many of them are surreal, a lot have rather explicit nudity. Some are just hosed. I suppose having a woodcut nude in the front cover of your book would help remind people to return it to you when they were done borrowing it.

Factory Ten posted:

I do have the leather case. Does this create a problem?

If I turn on wireless, doesn't that become a huge battery drain?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html

Sensurround
Feb 6, 2003

Can someone give me a rundown on the real difference the 3G upgrade adds for the new kindle? Are you only able to use it to purchase books through the kindle store or can you use the web browser on 3G to check google maps / wikipedia / whatever? I'm struggling to see how the extra $50 would be justifiable for just the ability to get to the store but I can't find any solid info on this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sensurround posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on the real difference the 3G upgrade adds for the new kindle? Are you only able to use it to purchase books through the kindle store or can you use the web browser on 3G to check google maps / wikipedia / whatever? I'm struggling to see how the extra $50 would be justifiable for just the ability to get to the store but I can't find any solid info on this.

You can browse any website through the 3G connection apparently but the the eink display and built-in browser make it so you basically have to use web sites in simple html mode.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Sensurround posted:

Depending on your country (most major countries have full access as far as I know, it works here in Japan), you have unrestricted browser access. You can use Google Maps, but the shades of grey can make the map a little hard to read. It works, but I've only used it when I've really been in a pinch. Wikipedia is an automatic search option, you can start typing while reading a book, scroll over to the Wikipedia option, and it will open your browser and search for whatever you typed on Wikipedia. It also works fine with GMail. I use the browser almost exclusively for Anki Online, which works fantastically with it. The countries who don't have unrestricted access, only Wikipedia and the store are supposed to work.

MrPhaethon
Aug 22, 2005

wyrd oft nereð unfægne eorl þonne his ellen deah

Factory Ten posted:

This happened with me, but only when I was reading a certain series of books (the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction). It's weird, but it has never happened otherwise. I never found a solution.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sensurround posted:

The big plus for Kindle 3G is that its a one time $50 and then its unlimited. Having gotten over the new gadget phase i don't web browse much, so i'd say overall WiFi is fine for almost anyone, but $50 for unlimited extra convenience just seems to good to pass up. I am glad i got the 3G one, better to have it than not have it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I would love a charging/sync dock for my NookColor.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
As a filthy unwashed non 'MURRIKAN can I somehow "aquire" the amazon kindle and still be able to buy books of the kindle store. or will my ip be cock blocked like hulu does?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

As a filthy unwashed non 'MURRIKAN can I somehow "aquire" the amazon kindle and still be able to buy books of the kindle store. or will my ip be cock blocked like hulu does?

I think it's down to your payment method. I'm in Japan with an American credit card and can buy everything at normal prices. It's been reported that if you live in a country whose Amazon page doesn't have Kindle books (so outside the US and UK) and use a credit card from that country, then you buy from the American store with an extra dollar or two added onto the price of books as an "international roaming fee" whether you have 3G or not. I got the thing shipped to me here, so they probably ship it everywhere.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Trench_Rat posted:

Clicking the "Click here if you live outside the US!" button on the Kindle store page might be a good first step in your investigation.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Cray posted:

Clicking the "Click here if you live outside the US!" button on the Kindle store page might be a good first step in your investigation.

ahh did not see that for some reason Amazon UK only ships to the UK. So i have to order from the US

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

BrainParasite posted:

Reading IJ on a kindle w/ footnotes & inline dictionary is truly a pleasure

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Sensurround posted:

You can browse the web and get books yeah, but you can also directly download books off Gutenberg Project, other sites with free books, and certain websites that sell mobipocket formatted books.

Plus there's a thing you can do if you jailbreak a Kindle 3 with 3G to use it to tether over USB as a wireless modem, but be warned that all of your traffic is handled through Amazon proxies so if you start torrenting 500 gigabytes of stuff over that they'll probably block your Kindle from 3G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Aatrek posted:

I would love a charging/sync dock for my NookColor.

BestBuy (I think) has a carry case that has a kickstand if you're going for the upright thing. It's $50 though, I have to figure a charging type dock would be less and I would love one too.