Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

justcola posted:

Just watched The First Men In The Moon not having much idea what it was about besides it had been written by Mark Gatiss. I recommend you watch it if you're into science fiction. Sometimes it had shades of Doctor Who although that's not really a bad thing for a ninety minute BBC science fiction drama. Although it has a sequence where Gatiss is wearing a cricket jumper and carves a polygon out of an apple.

It's based on a HG Wells novel, in case you didn't know. So it'd be more that Dr Who has shades of First Men In The Moon than the other way around!

quote:

I didn't see the big deal with the third and fouth series, those two twins are both gorgeous, the filming is pretty nice too.
Because, in the same way as Inbetweeners, series 1 and 2 were a more exaggerated version of my (and I'm sure many others!) life at college. Series 3 and 4 seemed created entirely to titillate. I won't say 1/2 didn't have advertising that suggested they were titillating because they definitely did, but 3/4 go mad with it. Not to mention the ridiculous storylines as mentioned above.

It's just like Scrubs - once you lose the veneer of reality, the show turns to rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

J33uk posted:

Holy poo poo, Eastenders tried to do a green screen scene on the tube tonight and god drat did it look like dogshit. If you need a laugh, take a look at it, it's in the first five minutes and it's just appalling.

Based on what I've read about the story this weekend, it's probably the most awful and disturbing moment of the whole story line. They might as well have made the set out of empty toilet rolls, and had Heather and Ronnie providing the sound effects for the scene themselves.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Being Human returns on Jan 10th, probably one of the better programmes on British TV at the moment.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Watched the Brooker year review thing on iPlayer last night, I thought it was pretty good. The Sky News coverage of the Haiti earthquake he highlighted was just depressing, though.

Really vile channel.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I really hope in the new series of Skins they just make it fun, in the last two series everyone was basically just intensely moody and depressed the entire time and I'd rather see them take a much more lighthearted approach.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is it a new Jonathan Creek tonight?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brown Moses posted:

Is it a new Jonathan Creek tonight?

it's a repeat of "The Judas Tree" which is one of the more recent specials, possibly the most recent

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Perfect Element posted:

Watched the Brooker year review thing on iPlayer last night, I thought it was pretty good. The Sky News coverage of the Haiti earthquake he highlighted was just depressing, though.

Really vile channel.

You can actually track the channel and see how more vile it gets with each passing year since 2002. It really is facinating.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

You can actually track the channel and see how more vile it gets with each passing year since 2002. It really is facinating.

Along these lines, recent changes in the BBC website lead me to believe that it is going down a more 'accessible' path. Today's not a great example, but I've noticed that they're publishing a lot more tabloidy articles. I don't like it damnit!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Being Human returns on Jan 10th, probably one of the better programmes on British TV at the moment.

:woop: Can't wait to see how Mitchell & George bring back Annie from the other side, that was a helluva nasty cliffhanger to leave us on. I hope it keeps to the high standards of last season. It walks that very fine line between brilliance and daftness in the same way that Misfits does.

(Also, I've discovered how you can tell if a BBC3 comedy-drama is going to be any good, because if it is, it will have Russell Tovey in it. He was in Gavin and Stacey, he's in Being Human and he's in Him & Her. I'd say that's a fairly reliable indicator.)

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I just caught a random episode of Being Human on telly (I'm in Australia) and loving hell it was good. Had that sort of Misfits vibe. Intriguing, quite gritty but occasionally laugh out loud funny with likable characters. Definitely going to get on that. Ep I just saw (absolutely no idea what's going on obviously) had the main bloke going mental because he wanted to watch Ultimate Hustle but it wasn't on.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Junkenstein posted:

It's loving terrible. The first series was OK*, but it's unwatchable now.

*May or may not have had something to do with Richard Herring being a writer.

Come now, not even Herring could save it.

Plus he was only in it for the Haribo.

lunacy booth
Jan 24, 2010

Bloodbath posted:

I just caught a random episode of Being Human on telly (I'm in Australia) and loving hell it was good. Had that sort of Misfits vibe. Intriguing, quite gritty but occasionally laugh out loud funny with likable characters. Definitely going to get on that. Ep I just saw (absolutely no idea what's going on obviously) had the main bloke going mental because he wanted to watch Ultimate Hustle but it wasn't on.

Sadly the 2nd series is a bit meh. I persevered with it, but I know a lot of people who gave up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I actually agree but still really like it, any episode or part of an episode focusing on Annie was awesome, George slightly less so and Mitchell put me to loving sleep in the second season. Apparently the next season is going to focus on Annie and the whole men with sticks thing she whispered in Owens ear, have a zombie character and explain why vampire and werewolves hate each other so much. Also that actress who just left Eastenders is joining the cast, don't know if thats a good thing or not

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just watched Screenwipe (finally) and holy gently caress there's no way that Dawn dish soap commercial can be real?

Right? Right?

:smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ddraig posted:

Just watched Screenwipe (finally) and holy gently caress there's no way that Dawn dish soap commercial can be real?

Right? Right?

:smith:

It made Stanthorpe even more bitter and angry. Humanity is hosed.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Yeah, I think it was probably a better idea in theory than practice to make the bad guys human in Being Human. It worked well as a one off episode but having the season revolve about a human enemy kind of took the depth out of it.

Can't wait to see where they go with the third season and how they use the new location. Should be very interesting.

Michael Jackson and I both hope Annie is okay.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

Holy poo poo, Eastenders tried to do a green screen scene on the tube tonight and god drat did it look like dogshit. If you need a laugh, take a look at it, it's in the first five minutes and it's just appalling.

Haha, just saw that! loving awful. C'mon, Eastenders, you can do better than that.

Also! DeadBabyGate tonight! So excited! :D

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That was some depressing Eastenders' right there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
We got torrid lesbian sex with a crumpled bible in the foreground in Corrie to make up for it though.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

justcola posted:

Just watched The First Men In The Moon not having much idea what it was about besides it had been written by Mark Gatiss. I recommend you watch it if you're into science fiction.

Cool, I saw an ad for it a while ago and went nuts because I'm a big old H.G. Wells hag. Didn't know Gatiss was writing it too!

Also, your regular Ashes to Ashes viewing update. Up to about the middle of s3. I've been really forcing myself to stay invested in this show, though this cold open comes very close to making it all worthwhile. Actually, this series seems to finally be more in gear, there's a marked improvement over the first two. Probably because they FINALLY started with the actual plot and some real intrigue. It's like for the first two series they were completely treading water. At the very end of s2 they brought up some interesting ideas that promised to take the show off the deep end, in a good way (Somers(es)), but instead of following through they just kind of dropped it and scattered into a million different abortive, nonsensical directions. But now we're FINALLY developing the main characters and FINALLY asking some of the plot questions that needed to be asked, like, two series ago. Why has it taken this long? At least if I ever re-watch the show, I can skip straight to series 3.

Oh yeah, and the coat! :cry:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Cool, I saw an ad for it a while ago and went nuts because I'm a big old H.G. Wells hag. Didn't know Gatiss was writing it too!

Also, your regular Ashes to Ashes viewing update. Up to about the middle of s3. I've been really forcing myself to stay invested in this show, though this cold open comes very close to making it all worthwhile. Actually, this series seems to finally be more in gear, there's a marked improvement over the first two. Probably because they FINALLY started with the actual plot and some real intrigue. It's like for the first two series they were completely treading water. At the very end of s2 they brought up some interesting ideas that promised to take the show off the deep end, in a good way (Somers(es)), but instead of following through they just kind of dropped it and scattered into a million different abortive, nonsensical directions. But now we're FINALLY developing the main characters and FINALLY asking some of the plot questions that needed to be asked, like, two series ago. Why has it taken this long? At least if I ever re-watch the show, I can skip straight to series 3.

Oh yeah, and the coat! :cry:

S3 only builds in quality and tension, it's a great ride.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Oh yeah and Alex's hair and wardrobe is so much cooler this series too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
to be fair, I loved Life On Mars and was fully prepared to give Ashes To Ashes my unrequited love. However, I remember speaking to my ex after each episode and saying words to the effect of "this is loving awful, it pales into insignificance next to LoM, it's rubbish, I'm never watching it again". I could not stand it, Gene wasn't Gene. Alex, despite turning up in one of the best outfits ever, just made me want to punch her repeatedly in the face until she shat her own teeth, and even Ray and Chris just weren't ray and Chris. I was officially done with it as each episode was so formulaic and crap but there was *just* enough promise, pretty much only with the finale, to let me keep with it. But Series 2 picked thing back to where it just wasn't as good as LoM, but was getting pretty drat close by not going all Columbo with its cases. And finally Series 3 it almost got as good as LoM to the point where, in my own humble opinion, the finale of A2A is actually, gulp, better than the finale to LoM.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

to be fair, I loved Life On Mars and was fully prepared to give Ashes To Ashes my unrequited love. However, I remember speaking to my ex after each episode and saying words to the effect of "this is loving awful, it pales into insignificance next to LoM, it's rubbish, I'm never watching it again". I could not stand it, Gene wasn't Gene. Alex, despite turning up in one of the best outfits ever, just made me want to punch her repeatedly in the face until she shat her own teeth, and even Ray and Chris just weren't ray and Chris. I was officially done with it as each episode was so formulaic and crap but there was *just* enough promise, pretty much only with the finale, to let me keep with it. But Series 2 picked thing back to where it just wasn't as good as LoM, but was getting pretty drat close by not going all Columbo with its cases. And finally Series 3 it almost got as good as LoM to the point where, in my own humble opinion, the finale of A2A is actually, gulp, better than the finale to LoM.

Yeah, Gene and Ray and Chris feel like different characters that just happen to be sort of like the LoM characters and played by the same actors. But they're not really the same people. I saw some people saying that A2A would have you re-evaluating how Ray is such a shitheel in LoM, but it isn't for me because he's not really the same character anyway.

Also, Alex hasn't made me want to punch her teeth in (WTF? Is this a requirement in TVIV for female characters you just sort of don't like?) but she's just kind of nothing. I don't like or dislike her, I mostly nothing her. Well, okay, mostly I guess I mourn a blown opportunity for an interesting female lead in a TV show. Though there are occasional glimmerings of a character somewhere in there. Part of the problem is that they didn't give us a baseline personality before she comes to 1981, so it's sort of hard to track her development, if any exists. In LoM, we see Sam pre-1973 only briefly, but they establish his personality issues that his 1973 journey is going to address: he's uptight and needs to learn to feel. Alex's personality at the beginning is... she's... uh, professional? v:confused:v

She's not BAD, though, and does seem to have settled more or less into a consistent quasi-personality of "aloof and sardonic, but empathetic." I still couldn't predict how she would act in any given situation, though, or go "Oh wow, I can't believe she did X!" or whatever, like you do with a strong character with real presence that you really buy into.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've been scrolling down a bit because there seems to have been a bit of life on mars/ashes to ashes chat.

I'm up to the last episode of life on mars (which I haven't seen yet)

A few episodes ago with the kiddy program opening of Tyler being sad and confused and then a model Hunt kicking the crap out of a bin had me in tears of laughter.

Then it got even better, when he told Hunt that he could cope with his poo poo, but to stay out of Camberwick Green. That moved me beyond tears into hysterical fits of laughter.

I'm really late on Life on Mars, but anybody who hasn't seen it should get on it because it really is one of the best telly things ever.

I'm bracing myself for the first series of Ashes to Ashes because from what I've heard it's poo poo. I just hope my love of Gene Hunt can carry me through.

It's a weird one, because the modern copper back in time stuff is so well done that I'm almost not bothered about the sci-fi bit. Almost. And by almost I mean not at all.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Also, Alex hasn't made me want to punch her teeth in (WTF? Is this a requirement in TVIV for female characters you just sort of don't like?) but she's just kind of nothing. I don't like or dislike her, I mostly nothing her. Well, okay, mostly I guess I mourn a blown opportunity for an interesting female lead in a TV show. Though there are occasional glimmerings of a character somewhere in there. Part of the problem is that they didn't give us a baseline personality before she comes to 1981, so it's sort of hard to track her development, if any exists. In LoM, we see Sam pre-1973 only briefly, but they establish his personality issues that his 1973 journey is going to address: he's uptight and needs to learn to feel. Alex's personality at the beginning is... she's... uh, professional? v:confused:v

She's not BAD, though, and does seem to have settled more or less into a consistent quasi-personality of "aloof and sardonic, but empathetic." I still couldn't predict how she would act in any given situation, though, or go "Oh wow, I can't believe she did X!" or whatever, like you do with a strong character with real presence that you really buy into.

no, it's her whole questioning of her current plight based on what she knows from Sam Tyler's file that basically made me want to throttle her. It's basically like she knows what's going on, know's it's all a load of crap her mind is throwing at her and she knows she can get out of it (and this is a proper spoiler mind) even though she can't, what with actually being dead and all . And no, it's not a pre-requisite for me in terms of leads in TV be they female or male. If someone irritates me or is badly written, I really do want to pound their face in until they poo poo teeth.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
loving hell, got around to watching Eastenders. That was pretty heavy and Shane Ritchie is oddly enough a pretty good actor. What the hell.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

J33uk posted:

loving hell, got around to watching Eastenders. That was pretty heavy and Shane Ritchie is oddly enough a pretty good actor. What the hell.

Depressing as poo poo, tonight's going to be worse. Alfie is the best character :3:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

quote:

Ashes to Ashes

One thing I noticed when watching Ashes to Ashes was that Alex had a much more pressing need to get back to her own timeline compared with Sam in Life on Mars - Sam didn't have anything to give up in his old life really but Alex had a daughter so you couldn't root for her staying in the same way.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

no, it's her whole questioning of her current plight based on what she knows from Sam Tyler's file that basically made me want to throttle her.

Yeah that annoyed me too, especially her calling all the people 'emotional constructs' or something along those lines. It just made her seem a bit smug the whole time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've been scrolling down a bit because there seems to have been a bit of life on mars/ashes to ashes chat.

I'm up to the last episode of life on mars (which I haven't seen yet)

A few episodes ago with the kiddy program opening of Tyler being sad and confused and then a model Hunt kicking the crap out of a bin had me in tears of laughter.

Then it got even better, when he told Hunt that he could cope with his poo poo, but to stay out of Camberwick Green. That moved me beyond tears into hysterical fits of laughter.

I'm really late on Life on Mars, but anybody who hasn't seen it should get on it because it really is one of the best telly things ever.

I'm bracing myself for the first series of Ashes to Ashes because from what I've heard it's poo poo. I just hope my love of Gene Hunt can carry me through.

It's a weird one, because the modern copper back in time stuff is so well done that I'm almost not bothered about the sci-fi bit. Almost. And by almost I mean not at all.

The more LoM/AtA I watch the more I become convinced that the BBC should devote itself entirely to surreal timetravel/parallel world stories. It was a strange day when I realised that they're probably the best producers of sci-fi around.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
The Eastenders green screen Tube thing, for anyone who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vRMKnyS74#t=4m45

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In case anyone missed it, here's a summary of tonight's new Primeval episode: stand around gorping at that dinosaur waiting to get eaten by it.

To save me typing, just assume that'll be the plot next week too.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Father ted night was brilliant, Graham linehan has been answering ted related questions on twitter as well http://twitter.com/!/Glinner

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

In case anyone missed it, here's a summary of tonight's new Primeval episode: stand around gorping at that dinosaur waiting to get eaten by it.

To save me typing, just assume that'll be the plot next week too.

Yeah, the reduced budget really showed. Absolutely zero interaction between real and CG elements and the ARC set is now a fifth the size it used to be. Not sure why they bothered to bring it back.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LE0N posted:

Father ted night was brilliant, Graham linehan has been answering ted related questions on twitter as well http://twitter.com/!/Glinner
Although I'd seen the viewers' choice one before, I'd not actually seen the writers' choice ep before - the bishop's reaction when he realised what happened absolutely slayed me, as did the way he came running and screaming out of the taxi with his cloak billowing in the wind like loving Batman. The blown up photo at the end was just perfect finishing touch to the whole thing.

I'll never get used to seeing the guy who plays Jack sans getup, he looks like such a sweet old fella!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

I'll never get used to seeing the guy who plays Jack sans getup, he looks like such a sweet old fella!

he recently did a short story for Radio 2 and it was only after the DJ said who it was that I blurted out in the office "gently caress, that was Father Jack!" and everyone went "oh yeah, isn't he a nice man". Also, when they did news after Dermot Morgan died, they interviewed Frank Kelly and I couldn't believe that he was actually Father Jack.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Bishy posted:

The Eastenders green screen Tube thing, for anyone who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vRMKnyS74#t=4m45

:psyduck:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus they really need to drop the baby-swap storyline in Eastenders, it's just far too cruel and unpleasant. I mean I know they've got a fairly big rear end lead time on the show but it'll be interesting to see how quickly they move away from it. And who the hell decided to put the Big Fat Quiz of the year on Monday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

One thing I noticed when watching Ashes to Ashes was that Alex had a much more pressing need to get back to her own timeline compared with Sam in Life on Mars - Sam didn't have anything to give up in his old life really but Alex had a daughter so you couldn't root for her staying in the same way.

Yeah, I noticed that too right off the bat and I thought it was really a misstep on the show's part. They made it so there can never be any conflict about her wanting to stay, unless they convince me at some point that her daughter was never real at all or something.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Yeah that annoyed me too, especially her calling all the people 'emotional constructs' or something along those lines. It just made her seem a bit smug the whole time.

What's weird isn't even that she calls them that, it's that they don't even react to it. I guess they just don't understand what she means with all that psychiatry (psychology!) crap.