Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I'm DJing an NYE thing just as a one off, anyone got any tips for mixing live just using Ableton? I don't even think I'm gonna have a cue out ahaha, whatever, live scrub die scrub. I guess it's lame as hell to pre-mix a bunch of tracks and just hit play and toggle effects, but it's just for fun anyway no one's gonna care. I don't have huge DJ Dreamz.

bog savant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
uninstall ableton, install winamp.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Volvagia posted:

I'm DJing an NYE thing just as a one off, anyone got any tips for mixing live just using Ableton? I don't even think I'm gonna have a cue out ahaha, whatever, live scrub die scrub. I guess it's lame as hell to pre-mix a bunch of tracks and just hit play and toggle effects, but it's just for fun anyway no one's gonna care. I don't have huge DJ Dreamz.

I know one DJ who plugs all her tracks into a program (I never found out which one) and saves them at a certain BPM so when she plays live she can just mix in without having to use the pitch fader.

Technically it isn't a pre-mix, and I think you can do something similar with Ableton. You will still need to make a playlist ahead of time, unless you want to adjust the BPM on every track you think you might use.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Volvagia posted:

Yes - get a soundcard that you can cue with and a controller

Otherwise, just put on a CD or playlist or something

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Not the appropriate thread, sorry.

phractured fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 24, 2010

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.
Got bored, decided to put down a GOA/Psytrance set: http://soundcloud.com/piratemathew/48-minute-goa-psytrance-set

Concerning a tracklist, I forgot to write down the track names :(

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Why do people capitalize "Goa" like that?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Socket Ryanist posted:

Why do people capitalize "Goa" like that?

It's an acronym for Good On Acid

fake edit: yes I just made that up, but it's kinda true

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
It's because Goa is a state (?) in southern India where really epic psytrance parties used to take place in the 90s, and it had it's own sound, hence Goa trance. I think.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
When people write goa trance all together like that my mind always reads it as 'goat trance'

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Anae posted:

It's because Goa is a state (?) in southern India where really epic psytrance parties used to take place in the 90s, and it had it's own sound, hence Goa trance. I think.
That wasn't the question I was asking. I was asking why people write it "GOA" instead of "Goa"

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Socket Ryanist posted:

That wasn't the question I was asking. I was asking why people write it "GOA" instead of "Goa"

Well don't I look silly now. I read only your post and thought you were asking why people capitalised the G (i.e. Goa), as that's how you spelt it. Oops.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.
Instead of talking about me capitalizing Goa (it just happened, okay? :(), give me your opinions about the set, sugarpies!

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

PirateMathew posted:

Instead of talking about me capitalizing Goa (it just happened, okay? :(), give me your opinions about the set, sugarpies!

Awesome. It's rare to hear goa, unless I'm just in the wrong areas. It's my fav techno-sound by far.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information
Here's my drum and bass demo mix that I did a couple of months ago. If youre a fan of the deeper tech-funk side of drum and bass...or even if you aren't, check it out. cheers!

Tensor - Future Funk

Track list

1.Data - Abstractions [Horizons]
2.Jubei & Alix Perez - Distrust [Metalheadz]
3.FD, Hydro & Keza - Canopy [Critical]
4.Jubei ft. D Bridge - Patience [Metalheadz]
5.Alix Perez - Behind Time [Shogun Audio]
6.Phobia & Jubei - Cooper's Dream [Coded Music]
7.Phace - Strange Science [Shogun Audio]
8.Alix Perez & Noisia - Loose Ends [Shogun Audio]
9.Ulterior Motive - Featherweight [Subtitles UK]
10. Rockwell - Full Circle [Shogun Audio]
11. Noisia & Phace - Floating zero [Invisible]
12. Ulterior Motive - 2098 [Subtitles UK]
13. Break - Isis [Symmetry]
14. Spectrasoul - Buried [31 Records]
15. Icicle - Driftwood [Shogun Audio]
16. Spectrasoul - Organiser [Critical]
17. Jubei & Alix Perez - Untitled [Metalheadz]
18. Octane & DLR - Back in The Grind [Dispatch]
19. Alix Perez ft. Foreign Beggars - Dark Days [Shogun Audio]

Roil
May 4, 2010
So I just did a new DJ Mix - first electro one in god knows how long:

Stream:
http://www.mixcloud.com/djHelix/dj-helix-bangers/
If you want to download it:
http://www.1217design.com/blog/?p=59

1: Munchi - Esta Noche
2: Style of Eye - The Big Kazoo (Nacho Lovers 'Limb by Limb' Edit)
3: Homework - Trumpet Express (Original Mix)
4: Justin Martin and Ardalan - Mr. Spock (Original Mix)
5: Etienne de Crecy - Welcome (Pablo Decoder Remix)
6: Zombie Nation - Squeek (Bart B More Remix)
7: Seductive - Rockin'
8: C-Mon and Kypski - Burning Hot (Boemklatsch Remix)
9: Digitalism - Home Zone (Proxy Remix)
10: The Bloody Beetroots - Dimmakmmunication
11: Robyn - Indestructible (Laidback Luke Club Mix)
12: Dada Life - Unleash the loving Dada (Betatraxx Remix)
13: Swedish House Mafia - Miami 2 Ibiza (Static Revenger Remix)
14: Mumbai Science - Ancova
15: Future Prophecies - Dreadlock (Foamo Remix)
16: Bart B More - Brap (Original Mix)
17: Congorock - Babylon (Steve Angello Edit)
18: Armand Van Helden and Steve Aioki - Brrrat! (SonicC Remix)
19: Breakup - Deavin' (Mane ge 88 Remix)
20: The Ting Tings - Hands (Skitsnygg Remix)
21: Tiga - What You Need (Lucky Date Remix)
22: Zedd - The Anthem (Lucky Date Remix)
23: Deadmau5 - Sofi Needs a Ladder (DJ Mr. White Remix)
24: Zombie Nation - Overshoot (DJ Mehdi Remix)
25: Passion Pit - Sleepyhead (Neo Tokyo Remix)
26: Afrojack ft. Eva Simons - Take Over Control Remix (Barletta Remix)
27: Skrillex - Slats Slats Slats
28: Spencer and Hill - Dub Disco (Lucky Date Remix)
29: Plan B - The Recluse (Nero Remix)
30: DJ Fresh - Lassitude (Dillon Francis Remix)

Grab it and lemme know what you guys think! More to come on the way.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

PirateMathew posted:

Psytrance honestly sounds best when mixed very shallow, as all but the very beginning and end of the track tend to be already saturated with sound. I think if you want to be a creative psytrance DJ you should work on editing and looping.

Edit: also, have you explored the various subtypes of psytrance and some of the more underground artists? There are very many talented psytrance producers who are relatively unknown.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 27, 2010

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

Do you know a set I could listen to which is all about looping and editting?

Roil
May 4, 2010

PirateMathew posted:

Do you know a set I could listen to which is all about looping and editting?

I honestly don't really know if that would help you - most of the better ones out there that do that style make it seamless, - making it harder to really LEARN anything from the set. I think the best thing to do is either a: just practice it til it sounds right and ask others for their feedback, or b: go look up some YouTube videos on the stuff, repeating what you learn there until you can have your own twist and style with it.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

Roil posted:

I honestly don't really know if that would help you - most of the better ones out there that do that style make it seamless, - making it harder to really LEARN anything from the set. I think the best thing to do is either a: just practice it til it sounds right and ask others for their feedback, or b: go look up some YouTube videos on the stuff, repeating what you learn there until you can have your own twist and style with it.

I know how to mix seamless, well, with minimal and tech/deephouse I do. I based this mix on what I usually hear at some monthly rave I'm attending. I just don't really see how you can loop this kind of music, since most sounds are pretty organic and thus not really loopable without hearing sound cutting off and restarting. Unless I'm madly wrong about this..

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

You just have to pick your loop points well

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

PirateMathew posted:

I know how to mix seamless, well, with minimal and tech/deephouse I do. I based this mix on what I usually hear at some monthly rave I'm attending. I just don't really see how you can loop this kind of music, since most sounds are pretty organic and thus not really loopable without hearing sound cutting off and restarting. Unless I'm madly wrong about this..

Pay attention to the waveforms and look for any two points that have the same looking peaks.
Anything without a beat behind it can be looped from any one point to another with minimal clicking, whether in beat or not. As for beats, I've personally looped as little as a single bass hit just to get in and out of the mix as seamlessly as possible.

But I only dabble in house and trance and such. Break-beats don't demand seamless mixing so my advice may not be all that great.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The issue is not the looping itself, but the content attempting to loop. Because psytrance has a ton of stuff going on at any point in time, it's difficult to pick a spot where melodies wouldn't be cut off abruptly when the loop starts over

House and techno and other related generes tend to be a lot more loop-friendly. But it's also been about 12 years since I have attempted to mix psytrance (or listened to it, really) so take my comments with a grain of salt.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Been a while since I've shared a mix here:

DJ Hollow Point - Helter Skelter
Length: 79:13

Tracklist:
Friction vs Camo & Krooked f/ Dynamite MC - Stand Up!
Hamilton - Soundboy
Joe Syntax - Fire Engine
Alix Perez - I'm Free
Rusko f/ Amber Coffman - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix)
Shock One - Polygon (Dirtyphonics Remix)
Logistics - Murderation
S.P.Y. - Go With the Flow
Serum & Bladerunner - Who Jah Bless
Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Can You Feel It
Bladerunner - Spartan Law
Survival, DLR, Octane - Transition
Break f/ Die - Slow Down
Bassnectar - Here We Go
Spor - Kingdom
Logistics - Warehouse (IllSkillz Remix)
Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster
Sub Focus - Could This Be Real (D&B Mix)
Bachelors Of Science - Warehouse Dayz
Dirtyphonics - Lottery
DJ Fresh - Starfall
Loadstar - Link to the Past
Spectrasoul - Wedgehead
Logistics - Colour Wheel (Friction & K-Tee VIP)
High Contrast - If We Ever
Utah Jazz - Riddim Track
Mutated Forms - High Sines Low Claps
Major Lazer - Hold The Line (Cyantific & Wilikinson Remix)
Camo & Krooked - History Of The Future
Netsky - Secret Agent
Total Science Feat. MC Conrad - Soul Patrol (Marky & S.P.Y Super Jungle Remix)
Danny Byrd f/ Liquid - Sweet Harmony

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

The issue is not the looping itself, but the content attempting to loop. Because psytrance has a ton of stuff going on at any point in time, it's difficult to pick a spot where melodies wouldn't be cut off abruptly when the loop starts over
Practically every psytrance track I've ever heard has a section with just the kick and bassline at SOME point.

Take this track for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_Efa9S4pg

Between 1:40 and the first breakdown you can find many different groups of 1 or 2 bars that loop just fine.

Sometimes to get the smoothest possible loop you have to start and end your loop on the 2nd or 3rd beat of a bar instead of the beginning of the bar.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
most psytrance could easily be looped on one single beat if you ask me

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

also if you're handy with a DAW you can turn an unsmooth loop into a smooth one with creative overlapping and crossfading.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
john '00' flemming essential mix would like a word with u B-)

also my mixer started working again, no clue what the hell happened. I thought for sure some of the electronics had failed

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Content!

Stream: http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/futures-past/
Down: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m41b7aa9695z4dl/FuturePast.mp3
Title: Future's Past
Length: It'll take ya about 45 minutes.

Tracks (Artist - Title)
1. TC - Flatline
2. Camo and Krooked - Strength is Irrelevant
3. Body and Soul - Blow Out
4. Psidream - Refraction
5. Shimon - The Gunslinger
6. Ram Trilogy - Titan
7. The Qemists - Stompbox
8. DJ Hazzard - Killers Don't Die
9. Blame - Harlem
10. Double Zero - The Feeling
11. Ed Rush and Optical - Gas Mask
12. Mampi Swift - Guess Who
13. Future Prophecies - Dreadlock
14. Shock One - The Calling
15. Pendulum - Blood Sugar
16. Ed Rush and Optical - Hacksaw
17. Dillinja - Human B Bop
18. Spor, Ewun and Evol Intent - Levitate

More DnB. This is one of those mixes where I was working on it and hated it, so I walked away from it. When I returned to it I couldn't remember what I hated so much, tweaked a few things and ended up liking it. Go figure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here's to a happy, DEEP 2011.

I'm trying a new host, so you can even listen to it in the browser if you don't want to download (the down arrow icon).

http://soundcloud.com/scott-jackson/winter-2011

Terry Lee Brown Junior - Eclosion (Forteba remix) [Lovezone]
Donnacha Costello - Leaving Berlin (Lawrence remix) [Poker Flat]
Bearweasel - Time to Start Again [Tsuba]
Gorge - Emefa (Milton Jackson remix) [8Bit]
Andre Lodemann - Dark Edge (Darimount + Berardi dub mix) [Room With a View]
Gorge - Parapanda [Kittball]
Mr. G - JB's [Bass Culture]
Marvin Zeyss - Numb [In Deep]
Mousse T - Toscana (Loco Dice remix) [Doppelgaenger]
DZeta N' Basile - Domino Effect [Loco]
Scope - Feel It [Beef]
Rosenhaft - Never Ending Day [Assembly]

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

actionjackson posted:

Here's to a happy, DEEP 2011.

I'm trying the best host

fixd!

Listening

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got the following comment after I posted it on facebook (the woman in question is old/retired, and I know her because we both play in Scrabble tournaments).

"Are you SERIOUS? Repeating the same sound 80,000 times is now considered art? I call it BORING!"

Well wrap it up electronic music fans, we better all switch to mixing folk guitar solos or something.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 3, 2011

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I got the following comment after I posted it on facebook (the woman in question is old/retired, and I know her because we both play in Scrabble tournaments).

"Are you SERIOUS? Repeating the same sound 80,000 times is now considered art? I call it BORING!"

Well wrap it up electronic music fans, we better all switch to mixing folk guitar solos or something.

Repeating sounds?? Why, never in music history has that been done or appreciated!

As for mixing folk/oldies guitar... I'm down with that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=los4q3shU7Q

Speaking of mixing... here is a new mix! It's a shorter (what I call, "commuter mix" as most folks I know take about 30 minutes commuting to work) and more mellow than my last Dubstep mix. Hope you enjoy the WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB.

Name: Technopium (clever, huh?)
Genre: Dubstep
Time: 31 minutes

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?12oqnpxoe1w2og8
Stream: http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/technopium/

Tracks used:
1. Rusko - Cockney Thug
2. Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire (Zeds Ded RMX)
3. Synkro - Bitz
4. BEATure - You Shut Up
5. Gun Jack - Ghetto Blasta
6. N-Type - Way of the Dub
7. Mark Pritchard & Om'mas Keith - Wind It Up
8. Dz - Down
9. Bjork - Dull Flame of Desire (Modeselektor RMX)
10. Pinch and P. Dutty - War Dub
11. Breeds and Hostage - Evil 'kin Evil!!
12. Kromestar - Kalawanji
13. Excicion and Dz - Yin Yang

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yay I finally got my New Years Eve mix up on Soundcloud! I was part of an hour long set that me and two other friends performed at some party in the middle of Ojai Nation Forest. It was a pretty sweet gig but I want to know how people feel about the mix. The set was a full on disco house dance party so I went for that kind of groove:

http://soundcloud.com/djvandelay/singularity-gathering-nye

Tracklist:
Groove Armada - Whatever Whenever (DJ Dan & Terry Mullan Bongorella Dub)
Chemical Brothers - The Duke
Jaw Line - What You Wanna Play?
Pryda - Rakfunk
DJ Korss - Real Love
Druma Kina - Rainbow Stars (Vandelay mix)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

6 tracks?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It was part of a larger hour long set I collaborated with some friends on. The disco house style was their idea, not my usual genre, but I think it turned out alright.

With the NYE thing out of the way I have time now to work on some longer demos which will pop up here soon.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
haven't posted in this thread for ages...

here's a mix i recorded last night on Boost.Fm (https://www.boost.fm):

--------------------------------------------------------
archietech [LIVE] on Boost.FM - download here

'tis a one hour'ish mix of techno / deeper house / breaks / other stuff. because everyone needs a bit of variety.

haven't got a tracklist as such but if you want to know the name of a track give me a yell.

for some reason there's a strange 'skip' type thing that i'm not sure where it's come from in the first track. only happens a couple of times and is barely noticeable, other than to me which really bloody annoyed me.

https://www.boost.fm is looking for more djs at the moment so if you want to take your mixing to the next level and play to eager people i'd recommend hitting up them up!

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
I'm gonna do a live-stream in about 50 minutes, will last for an hour or so. Techno all the way.

If anyone's interested I'll post the listen-link.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

archie posted:

'tis a one hour'ish mix of techno / deeper house / breaks / other stuff. because everyone needs a bit of variety.

haven't got a tracklist as such but if you want to know the name of a track give me a yell.

for some reason there's a strange 'skip' type thing that i'm not sure where it's come from in the first track. only happens a couple of times and is barely noticeable, other than to me which really bloody annoyed me.

https://www.boost.fm is looking for more djs at the moment so if you want to take your mixing to the next level and play to eager people i'd recommend hitting up them up!

wait, you're THE archietech?

hahaha, dude I've been playing on boost.fm for over a year now and I know we've talked a bit in the chatroom. Small loving world.

Echoing what archie already said, online radio has definitely pushed me to the next stage in DJing. A few years ago Boost.fm was very heavily house & techno but they allowed me to give drum&bass a try (only after I promised not to mix crazy techstep/skullstep every week) and now if you look at the site, I'm able to keep the same listener numbers as many of the mainstay house & techno guys. It's really amazing what a weekly radio show will do to your confidence, ability, skill, and taste. Before my radio show I was still playing whatever terrible dnb vinyl I could get my hands on. I quickly got into Serato, then grabbed a laptop, and now if I compare my first few sets on the radio with the stuff I play now, it's night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

archie posted:

chrix posted:

wait, you're THE archietech?

hahaha, dude I've been playing on boost.fm for over a year now and I know we've talked a bit in the chatroom. Small loving world.

Echoing what archie already said, online radio has definitely pushed me to the next stage in DJing. A few years ago Boost.fm was very heavily house & techno but they allowed me to give drum&bass a try (only after I promised not to mix crazy techstep/skullstep every week) and now if you look at the site, I'm able to keep the same listener numbers as many of the mainstay house & techno guys. It's really amazing what a weekly radio show will do to your confidence, ability, skill, and taste. Before my radio show I was still playing whatever terrible dnb vinyl I could get my hands on. I quickly got into Serato, then grabbed a laptop, and now if I compare my first few sets on the radio with the stuff I play now, it's night and day.

Okay, I'm convinced. I sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back, as I didn't see anything on the site about submitting mixes or anything.

By the way, for any nerds in the Chicago area, I will be DJing at Anime Central again this year. A buddy of mine and I will also be setting up a "hallway rave" (god I hate that term) spinning breaks, hip hop and DnB (probably Ragga).

• Locked thread