Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Well I found out that razer mouse pads only work with razer mice. My Megasoma will not track on the Sidewinder x5 or the Mx518 at all. It just jitterd all over the place and makes it hard to do things in Windows let alone games. Now I need to get a new hard mouse pad in the New Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Well I found out that razer mouse pads only work with razer mice. My Megasoma will not track on the Sidewinder x5 or the Mx518 at all. It just jitterd all over the place and makes it hard to do things in Windows let alone games. Now I need to get a new hard mouse pad in the New Year.

My G5 and my Rat7 work on my razer exactmat X.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The Goliathus works fine with the Sidewinder X8, so its probably a fault of the silicone the Megasoma has.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

The Goliathus works fine with the Sidewinder X8, so its probably a fault of the silicone the Megasoma has.

I also been reading that infrared sensor on the razer mice are the one ones that can read it properly. I only got the thing for `0 dollars, but I'd feel worse if i paid the full 50 dollars to only find it being a pile of crap on anything but a Razer mouse that I won't be using again. I already got a SteelSeries 9hd pad on the way since using a phonebook is not the most ideal surface for the long term.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I generally use razer mice but I use Xtrac Pads because a mousepad is a mousepad IMO as long as it slides well and has a nice surface area. These ones don't come with an undeserved price premium so they cost like 12 bux

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

I just ordered the steelseries ikari laser, black one. It arrives today, will post pics if I can!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You have chosen poorly. Like the last guy here who posted about it, the finish on mine wore down pretty drat quickly. The feet were nice and slick, but again, they are small and come off easily. I've gone though a couple different Steelseries items, and in general they aren't really built to last. Their headset, in particular, is pretty bad.

Using a G9x right now, and while not perfect it does the job well enough. I like the two large glide pads on it, instead of the standard four. It helps to keep them actually on the loving mouse instead of falling off after a few months. The middle click on the sucker is a little more stiff than I would like though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Tab8715 posted:

You actually game with that thing? :aaa:

Yea, it took a day to get used to a totally different weird mouse but I can still stay in the top 3 in TF2 with my usual classes. Scrolling takes the longest to get used to but the gestures and haptic feedback are great.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I really wanted an MX Revolution for the thumb scroll wheel, are any places still selling them for a reasonable price? Am I being dumb for wanting the old model over the MX Performance?

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Well I shipped the Ikari back because of the winged sides were pretty awful, I now have a razer imperator, but sometimes my fingertips will stick to the glossy sides, maybe I'm peter parker IRL.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

sixide posted:

I guess I don't know how the last year or so has been but mouse manufacturers, even MS/Logitech, have been making those same rookie mistakes since the beginning of time. Unfortunately mice are one product you can't buy and expect to not have fatal flaws.

I'm fairly sure Logitech manufactures Microsoft's mice, I could be wrong though.

But unreliable? I've used Logitech since forever and have never had one fail or go bad on me before.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Logitech cords fail quite often, and they're made plenty of mice with overflow/skipping problems. Also the various common wireless issues.

I don't think MS mice are made by Logitech. Logitech has always used Agilent/Avago sensors while MS have been one of the few that doesn't.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

sixide posted:

Logitech cords fail quite often, and they're made plenty of mice with overflow/skipping problems. Also the various common wireless issues.

I don't think MS mice are made by Logitech. Logitech has always used Agilent/Avago sensors while MS have been one of the few that doesn't.

i dont know if it still happens but mx518s used to come with mouse prediction in the firmware that would make some mouse movement decisions for you

very annoying

edit: lots of mice brands used to. razer doesn't anymore with the new mice as far as I can tell. not sure about everyone else

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I got an mx 518 a while ago and I quite like it. However, I do have a couple of questions.

What's the button under the (-) button for? Looks like 2 rectangles overlapping and doesn't do anything. Is it possible to bind it to anything? In keybinding menus in games I can't use that button to map anything.

Can I set up one of the mouse buttons to turboclick? Some games require a ton of clicking (GINORMO SWORD :argh:) and I would rather just hold down a button or even toggle turbo. Is that possible?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Greedish posted:

I got an mx 518 a while ago and I quite like it. However, I do have a couple of questions.

What's the button under the (-) button for? Looks like 2 rectangles overlapping and doesn't do anything. Is it possible to bind it to anything? In keybinding menus in games I can't use that button to map anything.

Can I set up one of the mouse buttons to turboclick? Some games require a ton of clicking (GINORMO SWORD :argh:) and I would rather just hold down a button or even toggle turbo. Is that possible?
I think it used to work as tabbing between windows, but the last time that worked with me was on ... XP, I think.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I really wanted an MX Revolution for the thumb scroll wheel, are any places still selling them for a reasonable price? Am I being dumb for wanting the old model over the MX Performance?

Not dumb at all, the second wheel would be really nice. If you decide to settle for the MX Performance mouse though it's an excellent all-purpose mouse. I wouldn't complain about a couple extra buttons, but six plus mouse click/tilt is enough for WoW. (the only PC game I still play) They also seem to have come down in price, $119.99 CAD was too much, but $69.99 seems about right.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just got the Logitech G110 Gaming keyboard, now I need a new mouse to go along with it (I was using a wireless keyboard and mouse previously).

It needs at least 4 buttons (not counting the Mouse wheel), it needs to be good for gaming, and I'd like it in the $45-60 range if possible. Any recommendations?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Its not a scroll wheel though, its a rocker switch, so you get back,forward and press as options. but it doesn't scroll like a wheel, I guess you can configure it to scroll up and down, but not sure why you would want to do that.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Anyone got any tips on a mouse with application-aware drivers that change bindings on the fly depending on which application is active? Razers lovely maximum of five apps doesn't count. I've only seen microsoft mice do this by default. Logitechs setpoint can be unlocked by the uberoptions pack but it bugs out sometimes.

Criteria:
* price doesn't matter
* as many buttons as possible
* preferrably wireless
* application-aware software

Any tips?

The microsoft sidewinder x8 seems to be the only contender but I'd like more buttons :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recommend the openofficemouse

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

I recommend the openofficemouse

I think I'd much rather prefer the SteelSeries Cataclysm mouse. Not sure if the application-aware software works for more than WoW, but it does manage to fit 14 buttons on a mouse that does look moderately decent.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Using a G9x right now, and while not perfect it does the job well enough. I like the two large glide pads on it, instead of the standard four. It helps to keep them actually on the loving mouse instead of falling off after a few months. The middle click on the sucker is a little more stiff than I would like though.
I agree. My MX-revolution was the same way. I generally use the scroll directions in games rather than middle click, partially for this reason.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Hopefully the cyborg rat 3 will fit my small-ish hand and work well. If not then I don't know what I will do after that.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Mister Fister posted:

for gaming, never go for laser mice, get infrared mice. reason being, fast movements gently caress up the tracking for laser.

I disagree. I'm on my second copperhead and I've played a ton of games/fps etc in it. I've never had this issue. Perhaps it's only certain mice and surfaces? I'm using a Funcpad 1030....

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like my Logitech G5 and it would be perfect except for two things: not enough buttons and wireless would be nice.

Is there something like a G5 that has more buttons (preferably thumb buttons) and comes in wireless? Wireless isn't really necessary but would be nice.

K-On! Season 2
Jan 1, 2010

by Fistgrrl

The Mandingo posted:

I like my Logitech G5 and it would be perfect except for two things: not enough buttons and wireless would be nice.

Is there something like a G5 that has more buttons (preferably thumb buttons) and comes in wireless? Wireless isn't really necessary but would be nice.

g500/g700

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

feld posted:

I disagree. I'm on my second copperhead and I've played a ton of games/fps etc in it. I've never had this issue. Perhaps it's only certain mice and surfaces? I'm using a Funcpad 1030....

Certainly the first few waves of laser mice were gimmicks with much lower max tracking speeds than the best IR mice available then. According to the only actual experiments I know of, that's no longer the case; the MX518 gets up to 4m/s with the 500Hz patch on a good pad, while the G9x gets up to 6m/s (albeit on a super expensive glass pad in that test). As a rule of thumb I'd say 2m/s is good enough for almost everyone, unless you are playing Quake with a low sensitivity. On particular surfaces anything goes, although the newer lasers are better at glossy surfaces than IR mice ever will be.

If a mouse works well with your particular surface you may be unable to cause it to mistrack, particularly on a small mousepad. If this is the case the mouse is as good as you will ever need (but don't worry it will break within three months warranty expiration and you will have to get used to something new).

edit: I found another source: ESReality measured the Copperhead specifically to have a max control speed of 0.83m/s, while IR mice eclipsed 3.5m/s, and (in 2007) found that none of the laser mice performed as well as the infrared mice. The best laser mice were in a group just ahead of the infrared mice at 125Hz (from G5 through Habu are laser mice; above that all are infrared).

I guess a lot of people heard about these results and stuck with their MX500/IntelliMouse, and you too should stick with whatever works. However a good laser mouse can currently give as good a performance as an infrared mouse nowadays, and you should pay more attention to feel and price.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 30, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember I posted about my rebranded Asus Republic of Gamers mouse that came with my Asus g73 jh and got a lot of pms about it. The original or other version you could buy doesn't have the rubberized surface and has plastic, I think.

Anyways apparently now you can actually buy it. I like this mouse a lot.

Click here for the full 1500x1500 image.

http://www.amazon.com/GX800-3200DPI-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B003QR6F80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294009703&sr=8-1

Could probably find it cheaper elsewhere

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Christoff posted:

I remember I posted about my rebranded Asus Republic of Gamers mouse that came with my Asus g73 jh and got a lot of pms about it. The original or other version you could buy doesn't have the rubberized surface and has plastic, I think.

Anyways apparently now you can actually buy it. I like this mouse a lot.

Click here for the full 1500x1500 image.

http://www.amazon.com/GX800-3200DPI-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B003QR6F80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294009703&sr=8-1

Could probably find it cheaper elsewhere

Just got the HP version for Christmas, still my all-time favorite mouse

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ClosedBSD posted:

Just got the HP version for Christmas, still my all-time favorite mouse

Yeah I think there's about 3 including the Asus one. They all just have different materials/lighting and such. I think the Asus is the best because of the rubberized surfance. I think one of them was plastic and I'd hate that. Because you know us goons and our greasy hands.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So the rmb on my Intellimouse has been pretty weird lately, so I think its time for a new mouse. I would normally just buy another Intellimouse and call it a day but I noticed that they sell for $30. I mostly game, and while the Intellimouse works fine for that Im just wondering if there is any other other mouse that would be worth spending a little more on.

Also: mouse pads. I havent used one since I got an optical mouse, but lately Ive been adjusting my mouse techniques (used to use super high sensitivity) and was wondering if it would be better to use one of those.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Cage posted:

Also: mouse pads. I havent used one since I got an optical mouse, but lately Ive been adjusting my mouse techniques (used to use super high sensitivity) and was wondering if it would be better to use one of those.

Mousepads are always the best option. They might suck aesthetically but it gives you a consistent amount of friction, a place to rest your hand, and a good surface for an optical sensor to read. If you ever play games, do CAD work, draw with a mouse, or put your hand within 3' of a mouse you goddamn well better have a mousepad or you're doing it wrong.

Also they prevent you from wearing out the surface of your desk or the bottom of your mouse, both of which are presumably more valuable than a mousepad.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Pretty much all of the above plus you can take a mousepad with you somewhere else, your desk is much less mobile.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Hmm if my cyborg rat 3 doesn't work out I might have to try the asus one I guess

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Fry's has G500s for $39.99 through Jan. 6. I just picked one up today.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Seriously endorsing the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiL1WDETH_E

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The Mandingo posted:

Fry's has G500s for $39.99 through Jan. 6. I just picked one up today.

I've been using this for a few weeks now in place of my G5, and it takes very little adjusting to. Solid mouse for that price.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Cage posted:

You absolutely want a mousepad. Once you get into high quality optical sensors every mouse is the same except for buttons, shape, weight, 'feel', mouse feet, but a mousepad can actually improve your experience by removing unevenness in the surface (for instance, a wooden desk) or a material that doesn't track well (glass?). Also, it makes the glide a lot better. A 10$ mousepad can make your mouse work much better than buying a fancy one.

I suggest a cheap cloth pad because they glide well and are more comfortable and less expensive than some metal sheet or whatever

Steelseries QCK series has lots of sizes, a large one (+)is good if you play a lot of FPS, otherwise you can get a normal size. I wouldn't get a mini one. Pretty cheap on amazon.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

I'm about at the end of the rope here with trying mouse after mouse. The steelseries "winged" design is too hard to pick up and lift often if I need to becuase I like doing that sometimes with mice. The razer imperator has sticky sides and I hate that. The Cyborg rat 3 I have now is nice in my hand but has serious problems with the cursor sometimes, it flies off to the side randomly, in OS X if I set the DPI higher and lower it again, it gets screwed up bad in games and stuff. So I'm really at the end of my rope here and I don't know what other mice to try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm pretty fond of my Sidewinder X8. I'd like the capability to rebind the under-palm and macro buttons to something else, but as-is it's just swell. Had it for about a year, enjoyed it the whole time, but now I think there's a bit of cat hair stuck in the wheel sensor since that will occasionally false-roll an extra tick or two.