Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The download is always fast for me, but installing takes forever because of "computing space requirements". :confused: I have hundreds of GB of free space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So, how long before Calibre is either bought or becomes a pay product? This guy spends countless hours on "donations?" Doesn't seem like a long term prospect, especially with the explosion of eReaders this past Christmas season...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is it possible to have multiple accounts on a kindle app for android? My girlfriend has a kindle and would like to be able to read her books on my nook color but i don't want to make it so i'll be 'locked out' or somethibg if i ever want to start using it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend has a kindle and would like to be able to read her books on my nook color

:psyduck:

I don't think you can use multiple accounts at once, but you could always wipe the app data (no idea what is and isn't possible in Nookdroid land) or uninstall/reinstall the app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

So, how long before Calibre is either bought or becomes a pay product? This guy spends countless hours on "donations?" Doesn't seem like a long term prospect, especially with the explosion of eReaders this past Christmas season...

Well it is open source so all he could do is make future versions for-pay. The last version before that happens would stay free and it is likely that someone else would be willing to at least maintain it with bugfixes. Depending on the license (the website isn't working so I don't know exactly what it uses) he may not even be able to use any of the current code in a for-pay project.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

big mean giraffe posted:

:psyduck:

I don't think you can use multiple accounts at once, but you could always wipe the app data (no idea what is and isn't possible in Nookdroid land) or uninstall/reinstall the app.

I assume tge :psyduck: is in reference to kindle books on a nook? If you root a nook color it becomes a nearly fully functional android tablet... it's pretty sweet.

But that's a little extreme since i was hoping for something like she logs in, reads a book, logs out, then i log in and read a book. I guess i can just stick to getti my books from the b&n store.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assume tge :psyduck: is in reference to kindle books on a nook? If you root a nook color it becomes a nearly fully functional android tablet... it's pretty sweet.

I know it's a great tablet if you root it, but if she already HAS a Kindle, why wouldn't she just...use it?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Sorry to ask another PDF question. I know PDF is supposed to look pretty crappy on the Kindle, but do they generally look/perform alright once converted to .mobi format? Most of what I read is originally in PDF format. The impression I'm getting is that text only PDFs will be ok once converted, but anything with images and tables (such as academic journals) is going to suck to use even after I convert it? I really want a Kindle, but this could be a dealbreaker for me.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Text only ends up pretty good unless its riddled with headings/page numbers, etc. Best bet would be to convert to epub then use an epub editor such as sigil to fine tune before turning to a .mobi.

Sigil also has powerful regex searches that make removal of pesky page numbers/headers much easier.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

DrBouvenstein posted:

But that's a little extreme since i was hoping for something like she logs in, reads a book, logs out, then i log in and read a book. I guess i can just stick to getti my books from the b&n store.

Why don't you just use the same Kindle account? That way when one of you buys something the other can access it just fine too.

Tolain posted:

Sorry to ask another PDF question. I know PDF is supposed to look pretty crappy on the Kindle, but do they generally look/perform alright once converted to .mobi format? Most of what I read is originally in PDF format. The impression I'm getting is that text only PDFs will be ok once converted, but anything with images and tables (such as academic journals) is going to suck to use even after I convert it? I really want a Kindle, but this could be a dealbreaker for me.

The only way to answer this is really for you to convert a representative sample of what you'll use. Calibre allows you to convert your PDFs to Kindle format, and, more importantly, then allows you to preview the converted book with a window that will be very close to how it looks on the actual device. Do this, and see how well you can deal with the results.

Also you can read PDFs natively on the device, but be aware that they'll either be scaled to a 600x800 frame in portrait mode (the native resolution of the Kindle), or you can turn it on its side and have 800x600 frame for "slices" of each page. This can allow you to preseve the exact formatting but it may end up very awkward.

Now there's also the Kindle DX, which has a bigger screen at 9.7 inches and higher resolution at 824x1200 or 1200x824 when in landscape. It's of course more expensive and heavier but nearly all PDFs should display well there even ones with graphs and such that you want preserved. Some stores like Best Buy and Staples will have DXs on display that you can try out.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Tolain posted:

You should just install Calibre, try converting some of the PDFs you have and see if they look acceptable to you. Also, unconverted PDFs don't look "crappy", they look pretty much perfect, the screen is just too small for comfortable reading unless you get a DX.

Edit: ^^^ Beaten by 1 second.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The quick-and-dirty way to check how a pdf will convert is to cut and paste the entire thing into notepad.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

big mean giraffe posted:

I know it's a great tablet if you root it, but if she already HAS a Kindle, why wouldn't she just...use it?

Because Barnes and Noble tells us that the NC is the best thing since sliced bread, and that a notoriously crappy gadget site says it's better.

But despite that, if you already have a perfectly fine Kindle, please god don't run out and get a nook.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I was surprised the other day when I went to B&N and actually got to try out a nook (non-color). Besides the lack of epub support, I really like the kindle more for a few main reasons.

1) The nook was noticeably heavier then my kindle, even with it's leather case attached.
2) The nook screen looked less crisp then the kindle. I assumed they would use the same exact screen, but it doesn't look that way.
3) That color LCD touch thing at the bottom is annoying as hell. Much prefer the kindle's dpad and keyboard.

The color nook looks like I'd get a headache from it in 10 minutes. Always amusing to me how much these companies glorify eink displays, then go make an LCD model, but I could see how it would be a nice ipad imitation if rooted. Just wouldn't want one as a reader.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FidgetyRat posted:

2) The nook screen looked less crisp then the kindle. I assumed they would use the same exact screen, but it doesn't look that way.

The nook uses the same screen as the old Kindle 2, actually. the Kindle 3 and one of the Sony readers use the new "Pearl" e-ink screens.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FidgetyRat posted:

The color nook looks like I'd get a headache from it in 10 minutes. Always amusing to me how much these companies glorify eink displays, then go make an LCD model, but I could see how it would be a nice ipad imitation if rooted. Just wouldn't want one as a reader.

People keep saying stuff like this, but I've read on my NC for hours at a time with no problem at all. Either I have positively herculean eyes, or this issue is way over-exaggerated.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Is there an easy way to edit books in mobi format on my computer? They were converted from another format, and they're fine except that there's a few formatting issues that'd be easy to fix if there's a quick way to do so.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Trig Discipline posted:

People keep saying stuff like this, but I've read on my NC for hours at a time with no problem at all. Either I have positively herculean eyes, or this issue is way over-exaggerated.

I assume it's like the difference between 500 and 750 thread count sheets. One is obviously softer than the other if you compare them side by side, but it's not like the coarser of two extremely soft sheets is going to sandpaper your skin off.

And thanks SUPER IRAN-CONTRA, I'll load those up tonight.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Trig Discipline posted:

I did play around with the demo in Best Buy and it looked terrible.

Talked to a friend who owns one and loves it, he thought maybe it just looks terrible under the fluorescent lights that Best Buy uses?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nook Color is widely regarded as having one of the best mobile LCD displays out there.

Also, if you play with a regular nook in stores, make sure it's been updated to 2.5. There's nothing short of a night and day difference in operation between 2.5 and the previous version. For one, page refreshes are pretty much on par with the Kindle 3 now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I did play around with the demo in Best Buy and it looked terrible.

Talked to a friend who owns one and loves it, he thought maybe it just looks terrible under the fluorescent lights that Best Buy uses?

Maybe. I've read mine in high light and low light conditions, and it was fine both ways. It doesn't look as smooth or as crisp as eInk, obviously, but that is not a prerequisite for reading and in my experience does not produce noticeable eyestrain. I'm quite glad to trade off the decrease in text smoothness for all the other things the Nook Color does well.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Trig Discipline posted:

It is exaggerated, thing is an e-ink screen is a hundred times better than a lcd screen if you are planning to use it outdoors, indoors not so much. Everyone's different though, I don't get eyestrain from lcd screens but I know people who do.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
It's also a mental thing. Part of the joy of reading for me is getting away from the endless plugged-in culture we all live in now. Having an ebook that actually looks like a printed page is the only way I can read off yet another electronic device after a day of staring at my computer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life is also a huge thing. Going over a week without even thinking about charging and knowing you have probably 40 pages worth of reading left once you get the low battery warning (no matter how many times you sit the book down and restart reading) makes eInk invaluable for a reader.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Nook Color is widely regarded as having one of the best mobile LCD displays out there.

Also, if you play with a regular nook in stores, make sure it's been updated to 2.5. There's nothing short of a night and day difference in operation between 2.5 and the previous version. For one, page refreshes are pretty much on par with the Kindle 3 now.
It's 1.5 but who's counting...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hotsauce posted:

It's 1.5 but who's counting...

Oops, but yeah. Same difference.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah I have a Nook Color and I just used it to read Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. I read probably 200-250 pages a night and my eyes are perfectly fine.

Also, maybe because I'm not lazy, but I stick it on the charger every night before I go to sleep. I don't leave it laying around for a week and complain about battery life.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my Nook Color is almost always on the lowest brightness (unless I'm in a bright area in which case I'll nudge it up slightly) and I invert the color so it's white text on a black background. Anyone that is concerned about eyestrain NEEDS to try this mode. Having a bright white screen with little black text might be frustrating for some... invert it and it's simply wonderful.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Battery life is also a huge thing. Going over a week without even thinking about charging and knowing you have probably 40 pages worth of reading left once you get the low battery warning (no matter how many times you sit the book down and restart reading) makes eInk invaluable for a reader.

Amen to that. E-ink does have many virtues, but I'm afraid we're moving into territory that values the swiss-army approach instead of the single purpose one. And that will kill E-ink.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fuzzykinz posted:

Amen to that. E-ink does have many virtues, but I'm afraid we're moving into territory that values the swiss-army approach instead of the single purpose one. And that will kill E-ink.

Fortunately, stuff like Pixel QI and Mirasol are going to bridge the gap in the next few years and we should have the best of both worlds.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Fortunately, stuff like Pixel QI and Mirasol are going to bridge the gap in the next few years and we should have the best of both worlds.

It seemed like Mirasol has fallen off of the map lately. And I'm still pretty psyched for the Adam(Pixel QI goodness), though this is the wrong thread for that.

But on the point, I wonder how far out we really are from good hybrid screen readers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzykinz posted:

I doubt it. You can already get a brand new top quality e-ink reader for $139 and it'll probably be half the price by the end of this year. Plus it still has the whole "basically never worry about charging" thing.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

theBeaz posted:

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my Nook Color is almost always on the lowest brightness (unless I'm in a bright area in which case I'll nudge it up slightly) and I invert the color so it's white text on a black background. Anyone that is concerned about eyestrain NEEDS to try this mode. Having a bright white screen with little black text might be frustrating for some... invert it and it's simply wonderful.

How do I go about doing that? I tried to figure it out real quick the other day but I couldn't find the setting and then I forgot about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fuzzykinz posted:

It seemed like Mirasol has fallen off of the map lately.

You must have missed this article two days ago about Qualcomm pumping $1bil into a new factory. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/02/qualcomm-lays-down-1-billion-for-new-mirasol-plant-in-taiwan-c/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

How do I go about doing that? I tried to figure it out real quick the other day but I couldn't find the setting and then I forgot about it.

I just figured this out myself. In a book, poke the screen to bring up the menu, then select "text". There's a little field there that says "normal". You can poke that and then scroll to select other display options. The option he's talking about is "night".

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Does anyone know historically how quickly the Sony readers have come down in price? I really want a PRS-650, but I can probably hold out until the summer if the price falls quickly enough. The current £200 price tag seems unsustainably steep to me.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Daric posted:

Also, maybe because I'm not lazy, but I stick it on the charger every night before I go to sleep. I don't leave it laying around for a week and complain about battery life.

I don't think laziness has much to do with the appeal of long battery life.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimlad posted:

Does anyone know historically how quickly the Sony readers have come down in price? I really want a PRS-650, but I can probably hold out until the summer if the price falls quickly enough. The current £200 price tag seems unsustainably steep to me.

They don't really do that unless the next model comes out and the one you want is discontinued.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Armed Neutrality posted:

I don't think laziness has much to do with the appeal of long battery life.

No one is ever too far away from a plug for any extended period of time for battery life to be relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Daric posted:

No one is ever too far away from a plug for any extended period of time for battery life to be relevant

I never go camping or get caught somewhere I wasn't expected to have to stay awhile without all my stuff or on a long airplane ride or