Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Avocadoes posted:

I just ended up using the MGS4 like controls, I think its called "Shooter". It works pretty decent until i get to a Tank mission and I have to deal with 5-6 armed soldiers. It gets a little wonky. :( and them im mashing buttons all around.

The best way to think of it is to deal with it like it's your standard TPS in the tank fights. S-ranking them is more trouble than it's worth until you get the fulton launcher anyway. Think of the face buttons as a lovely analog stick and you should be fine. Also turn on the weapon/item cycle so you can switch between ARs/MGs and rocket launchers by just tapping the button, it has saved my rear end a lot.

For POps I have L set to aim, R to attack, left on the D-pad for use/sneak (with toggle sneaking enabled), down for crouching, then the face buttons as camera controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
-edit-: Im taking this to the Peace Walker thread, its a rather large game question

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Okay, I give up on liking Portable Ops, having a bossfight where there is literally no way to heal unless you're telepathic and brought healing items with you is dumb. Doing it twice, then making the second boss almost impossible to hit is just unfair.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
How the gently caress did I miss Front Mission 3 on PSN? drat it 6 more bucks they will get and a big suck it to eBay people who bought that for PS1 when it was rare.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My PSP-3000's randomly shutting down when on battery power; no fixed point at which it shuts down, either in terms of remaining charge or uptime. I've replaced the battery with a new official extended battery, still getting the problem. Am I basically screwed?

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

Stelas posted:

My PSP-3000's randomly shutting down when on battery power; no fixed point at which it shuts down, either in terms of remaining charge or uptime. I've replaced the battery with a new official extended battery, still getting the problem. Am I basically screwed?

Probably a short. It's an easy fix if you're comfortable soldering.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

ganash posted:

How the gently caress did I miss Front Mission 3 on PSN? drat it 6 more bucks they will get and a big suck it to eBay people who bought that for PS1 when it was rare.

Front Mission 3?! Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I love this game! Finally, Cpt. Retard will ride again!

The main character in this game was so loving stupid.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Front Mission 3?! Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I love this game! Finally, Cpt. Retard will ride again!

The main character in this game was so loving stupid.

NP man I was just cruising the PSN and saw it dropped on 12/20. My buddy cracked on that game hard when it was new and I always thought it looked great if you like the tactics kind of deal. By the time I got around to wanting it, it was 125 bucks on Ebay because Square stopped printing it. I finally get to raise some mech hell and do it in a car or in bed. Good times ahead.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The ESRB also recently rated Threads of Mana, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears for PSN. And on top of that, we should be getting Parasite Eve 1&2 once 3rd Birthday gets a US release in a couple months.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
I'd snatch up PE 1&2 in a heartbeat. Xenogears might be good too but didn't they forget about that game? I'd hate to start a good rpg and never get to finish it. Pretty bad when I am more excited for the PS1 games than the actual psp games coming haha.

Indigentia
Jun 27, 2004

PREHISTORIC DIATRIBE COMMENCE
What ever happened to the whole "PS3-blu-ray-copy-to-PSP" feature Sony bantered around a while back. Did that get canned? This is what I'm talking about.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
1: What is front mission 3 about? Tell me more. I like tactics games (but have such a backlog that I haven't started jeanne d'arc
2: I am SO waiting for netflix psp. PLEASE, NETFLIX.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Indigentia posted:

What ever happened to the whole "PS3-blu-ray-copy-to-PSP" feature Sony bantered around a while back. Did that get canned? This is what I'm talking about.

That still exists, it's just called "Digital Copy" now.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

FM3 is about ejecting from your robot to hijack the enemy's, two separate story paths that are chosen based on if you help your bro make a delivery or not, and browsing the internet.

There's also the usual Front Mission things: turn-based combat on a grid map, limb damage, and buying new parts for your robots.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

1: What is front mission 3 about? Tell me more. I like tactics games (but have such a backlog that I haven't started jeanne d'arc
2: I am SO waiting for netflix psp. PLEASE, NETFLIX.

Front Mission is a strategy RPG with big mechs and a branching storyline. The mechs ("wanzers") are actually done in a western style similar to Battletech mechs, so it's not as anime as it sounds. Contrary to most Japanese SRPGs, the majority of the combat is actually ranged combat, using guns and missiles and such. The mechs have locational damage so you can disable the legs to prevent them from moving or similar stuff. The mechs are also completely customizable, allowing you to swap parts at will. Front Mission 3 is probably the best in the series. Overall it's a really good game.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Front Mission 3 is about giant robots trying and failing to kill people on foot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's got the most retarded story in the franchise* and many unlikable characters (including the protagonist!)

* Excluding FM: Evolved because that poo poo is MGS4 level of crazy but its not a real Front Mission

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Policenaut posted:

It's got the most retarded story in the franchise* and many unlikable characters (including the protagonist!)

* Excluding FM: Evolved because that poo poo is MGS4 level of crazy but its not a real Front Mission

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Front Mission 3 is about giant robots trying and failing to kill people on foot.

I don't care as long as it's fun. Is it as fun as Dr. Video Games 0031 said?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Overall it's a really good game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, yeah it's fun. It's the most JRPG-y game of the franchise and pretty easy to get into. It's just that a lot of the poo poo around it is retarded, but its still fun to read the game's internet for like 2 hours and accidentally discover a map you can download to your simulator.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

redreader posted:

Yes, it is a fun game. I've only beaten one path but there were a good variety of missions and some branches along the way. There's even a hidden wanzer you probably won't find without a FAQ.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

Oh, yeah it's fun. It's the most JRPG-y game of the franchise and pretty easy to get into. It's just that a lot of the poo poo around it is retarded, but its still fun to read the game's internet for like 2 hours and accidentally discover a map you can download to your simulator.

If the others are anything like Front Mission 4, then they can keep them. Front Mission 3 is 10 times more enjoyable than that game.

Also, your mileage may vary on the animeness of the robots. While you won't see them flying around and poo poo, you will be seeing them skate across concrete as if it was ice.

But there is a ton of game to be had if you do buy it. Each scenario takes around 20-30 hrs to complete, and you can get immersed in the game's in-game internet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

If the others are anything like Front Mission 4, then they can keep them. Front Mission 3 is 10 times more enjoyable than that game.

Also, your mileage may vary on the animeness of the robots. While you won't see them flying around and poo poo, you will be seeing them skate across concrete as if it was ice.

But there is a ton of game to be had if you do buy it. Each scenario takes around 20-30 hrs to complete, and you can get immersed in the game's in-game internet.

The others are more like Front Mission 4, but probably better than it at the same time. FM3 is the oddball of the series, with fewer mechs out on the field at once, and a more RPGy character system, perhaps. In fact, FM3 is pretty poorly regarded in Japan because it's so different. FM5 is also really great example of the more traditional FM style, if it's possible for you to mod your PS2 (or run an emulator) I'd recommend getting it and applying the translation patch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Spuzzz posted:

Yes, it is a fun game. I've only beaten one path but there were a good variety of missions and some branches along the way. There's even a hidden wanzer you probably won't find without a FAQ.

That hidden wanzer is the best, it's like a Gundam somehow wanders into Front Mission and realizes its the only machine in the world with a laser gun.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

redreader posted:

It's a lot of fun... as long as you don't try to care about the characters or the plot.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
I hate to ask dumb questions, but I'm considering grabbing a GO after selling my PSP yeeeears ago and I just want to ask if the downloadable games list on the PSN site is accurate.

It seems pretty skimpy and like there are some GLARING omissions. Like I don't recall off-hand seeing Persona 3 on there and that would be a maor reason for me to grab one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Horseticuffs posted:

I hate to ask dumb questions, but I'm considering grabbing a GO after selling my PSP yeeeears ago and I just want to ask if the downloadable games list on the PSN site is accurate.

It seems pretty skimpy and like there are some GLARING omissions. Like I don't recall off-hand seeing Persona 3 on there and that would be a maor reason for me to grab one.

Yeah uh Persona 3 is definitely on there, Sony's bad at maintaining their websites and stuff and no one seems to update the US side of the wiki page for downloadable PSP games either.

If you have Media Go and a PSN account you could log in through that and see what's there yourself.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah uh Persona 3 is definitely on there, Sony's bad at maintaining their websites and stuff and no one seems to update the US side of the wiki page for downloadable PSP games either.

If you have Media Go and a PSN account you could log in through that and see what's there yourself.

Sadly I don't have a GO yet and have long since forgotten my old PSN account (though perhaps I can still retrieve it).

I'm also using an obscure,broke-rear end Linux distro so I doubt that Media Go would work. So, there are no sites with an accurate lists for the US ?

Also, did Minis ever pan out to be a good idea ? I read somewhere that N.O.V.A. and a few other big IOS releases got ported over.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Horseticuffs posted:

Sadly I don't have a GO yet and have long since forgotten my old PSN account (though perhaps I can still retrieve it).

I'm also using an obscure,broke-rear end Linux distro so I doubt that Media Go would work. So, there are no sites with an accurate lists for the US ?

Also, did Minis ever pan out to be a good idea ? I read somewhere that N.O.V.A. and a few other big IOS releases got ported over.

http://www.pspminis.com/

This site has reviews of most if not all the Minis currently available. N.O.V.A was just released and Zenonia was released a few months ago but those are the only IOS releases that I can think of off the top of my head.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

Wamdoodle posted:

This site has reviews of most if not all the Minis currently available. N.O.V.A was just released and Zenonia was released a few months ago but those are the only IOS releases that I can think of off the top of my head.
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I actually found that probably RIGHT as you were posting it. It's a great site, and tells you just about everything you might want to know about Minis.

Seems like Hero of Sparta was one of the first Mini releases and Angry Birds was just released (or is about to be).

I must admit that one of the things that appeals to me about the GO is that once the PSP2 comes out, assuming the price isn't too ridiculous, I'll likely be able to re-download any PSN games I buy on the GO.

Also, I just bought my first HDTV. It's only a little 19" 720p model, but way nicer than the crap I USED to have, and the prospect of being able to play the GO on my TV with maybe even a DS3 seems pretty awesome.

I assume I'm going to have to buy the GO-to-HDTV cable separately, but given how the GO has sold in the US I'm pretty sure it will be a reasonable price.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The others are more like Front Mission 4, but probably better than it at the same time. FM3 is the oddball of the series, with fewer mechs out on the field at once, and a more RPGy character system, perhaps. In fact, FM3 is pretty poorly regarded in Japan because it's so different. FM5 is also really great example of the more traditional FM style, if it's possible for you to mod your PS2 (or run an emulator) I'd recommend getting it and applying the translation patch.

It's really a crime that we never saw FM5 receive a proper translation.* I understand why they decided against it, 3 had middling sales, 4 reviewed barely average and sold even worse, and FM1 on the DS is a lacking port of an SNES game that had such terrible marketing that most people didn't even seem to know it was coming stateside, and of course sold poorly.

Square horribly mismanaged the series in the West, which is a real shame because as a whole, it's probably one of their more mature franchises. The amount of supplemental material and side-stories alone easily put it on par with just about any other long running franchise.

*Outside of the fan translation, I know it exists. I would have paid for an official release though :(

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 5, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Horseticuffs posted:

The only glaring omissions I know of are Kingdom Hearts and the Lumines games. I really miss Lumines. I'm kind of indifferent to the sequel.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Many others playing The 3rd Birthday yet? I'm enjoying it, but it's kinda hard.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't know it was out. I like hard games! What else is it like? I never played parasite eve 1/2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

redreader posted:

I didn't know it was out. I like hard games! What else is it like? I never played parasite eve 1/2.

Other than some namedropping, it could be a completely different franchise. It is essentially a mission based third person shooter (5 missions with 3 main sections each, plus the tutorial and endboss) with lots of dodging, a mechanic where you switch bodies with allies to steal their health and guns, and some rpg elements. And something like 40 upgradable guns.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Wamdoodle posted:

Angry birds is on there but sony's pricing is horrible. 10 bucks for peggle. Really?
Biggest outrage was flick fishing I paid a buck for that.

ganash fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mug posted:

Many others playing The 3rd Birthday yet? I'm enjoying it, but it's kinda hard.

The gameplay is reasonably fun but the plot is like stabbing myself in the face with sadness so I can't say I enjoyed it much.

If you're having trouble, remember to Overdive the second you're in serious damage. Enemies tend to refocus on whoever Aya is controlling so remaining in an Overdive when you're in danger is more likely to get you in bad situations then switching constantly.

redreader posted:

Kinda like Kingdom Hearts where you use a gun instead of a sword is the closest way I can describe it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The next main line Super Robot Wars game was announced for the PSP yesterday, and I am not surprised, it appears the PSP is the only platform that it is profitable to make games like that for anymore. I guess I have to buy a PSP between now and April. Is there any reason to think the price would drop between now and then?

edit: those Memory Stick to mini-SD card adapters look too good to be true. Is there any downside to using them?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 5, 2011

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

ImpAtom posted:

The gameplay is reasonably fun but the plot is like stabbing myself in the face with sadness so I can't say I enjoyed it much.

If you're having trouble, remember to Overdive the second you're in serious damage. Enemies tend to refocus on whoever Aya is controlling so remaining in an Overdive when you're in danger is more likely to get you in bad situations then switching constantly.

Kinda like Kingdom Hearts where you use a gun instead of a sword is the closest way I can describe it.

I was afraid they messed with it too much. Thanks for the heads up I'll be avoiding this.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: those Memory Stick to mini-SD card adapters look too good to be true. Is there any downside to using them?

Nope. Get a (pair of) class 6 card and they work perfectly. I've been using a Photofast CR-5400 for over a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

I got kingdom hearts (the new one) for a Christmas present and it's oh kay but not great, I'll avoid this. Thanks!

• Locked thread