Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maxnmona posted:

I never go camping or get caught somewhere I wasn't expected to have to stay awhile without all my stuff or on a long airplane ride or

You can always grab one of these. Looks like it'll about double your nook color battery life without a charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-Ebp-Usb34-Usb-Power-Charger/dp/B000NJDH12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, you can use the Nook Color inside a freezer bag just fine if you want to read in the tub, the pool, or the rain. Touch screen works perfectly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Plinkey posted:

You can always grab one of these. Looks like it'll about double your nook color battery life without a charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-Ebp-Usb34-Usb-Power-Charger/dp/B000NJDH12

Or you could use a device that costs half as much and lasts for weeks? Shocking I know.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Or you could use a device that costs half as much and lasts for weeks? Shocking I know.

Hey man, I love my e-ink too.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

No one is ever too far away from a plug for any extended period of time for battery life to be relevant

My grandparents bought Kindle 2s last year and were astounded by the battery life -- he's currently in the Helmand province of Afghanistan with MSF, she's still in Chad. Oddly, electricity doesn't abound in either location. An edge case for sure, but it does make a difference.

Anyone seen Kindles in stock at Target or Staples lately? I've been having problems with UPS and would rather buy one in person, but stores seem perpetually sold out. I guess that makes sense, post-Christmas, but no one seems to know when they'll have more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fats posted:

Anyone seen Kindles in stock at Target or Staples lately? I've been having problems with UPS and would rather buy one in person, but stores seem perpetually sold out. I guess that makes sense, post-Christmas, but no one seems to know when they'll have more.

You know Best Buy carries them too right? Probably your best chance.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

fishmech posted:

You know Best Buy carries them too right? Probably your best chance.
The guy at the front of Best Buy told me that they aren't told when they're getting more because they're delivered by Amazon and not their normal delivery people.

But since even Amazon says there is a 8-9 day wait online, I doubt any stores are having them shipped to them.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

maduin posted:

The guy at the front of Best Buy told me that they aren't told when they're getting more because they're delivered by Amazon and not their normal delivery people.

But since even Amazon says there is a 8-9 day wait online, I doubt any stores are having them shipped to them.

Sounds like bullshit to me, I used to work in Best Buy Inv and we knew when everything was "supposedly" coming in, like a week range of dates, even if it wasn't our own suppliers. We could also look up by SKU and see if anything was slated to ship to us for that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fats posted:

My grandparents bought Kindle 2s last year and were astounded by the battery life -- he's currently in the Helmand province of Afghanistan with MSF, she's still in Chad. Oddly, electricity doesn't abound in either location. An edge case for sure, but it does make a difference.

I was at target over the weekend and they had a display model out; not sure if they had any in stock though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

stubblyhead posted:

I was at target over the weekend and they had a display model out; not sure if they had any in stock though.

Should be easy to tell at Target, all the ones I've seen keep the readers in a a locked glass front case under the display models.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

They don't really do that unless the next model comes out and the one you want is discontinued.

I guess I'll be getting the reader sooner rather than later in that case. Does anyone know how moddable the PRS-650 is? I heard it's relatively easy to make apps for it, don't know where I got that from though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Fats posted:

Absolutely. I was in Fiji a year or so ago with my Kindle 2. We had power 3 or so hours a day when they switched the generator that provided power to the next door village to provide power to the dive lodge. And I burned out two power supplies before realizing that I should probably not trust the generator very much. The Kindle provided me with entertainment on the flight out, all week, and the flight back without needing a recharge. Plus lots of books without a lot of weight, an important consideration when traveling someplace they make you get on a scale with your luggage before boarding the plane.

So yes, maybe edge, but there's more edge cases out there than you might think.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Welp, my Kindle just broke after two weeks. I don't think it was physical damage, but it's hard to tell. I use it on the subway and it was in my jacket pocket, so who knows? On the other hand, if a book can't deal with normal day to day jostling, then it's no good to me.

Not a big deal, since Amazon is sending me a new one, but still a little frustrating.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jimlad posted:

I guess I'll be getting the reader sooner rather than later in that case. Does anyone know how moddable the PRS-650 is? I heard it's relatively easy to make apps for it, don't know where I got that from though.

I have no idea, but I would like the information as well :)

I love my 650 but there are things about it I would change.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have no idea, but I would like the information as well :)

I love my 650 but there are things about it I would change.

What would you change about it in a future revision?

You know what? All of these readers should have dropbox support.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Nook Color may be getting bluetooth support thanks to xda!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This:

quote:

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

Would be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This:

Would be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

Seriously, aside from "command line," that would be a pretty bewildering/terrifying thing to read even as recent as what, '84?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Trig Discipline posted:

This (w)ould be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

This exact phenomenon has come up repeatedly with this device in my circle. I don't know if it's because the thing is called a "nook" and 50's people would think "he is describing a crevice in a wall" or what, but the thing seems to provoke that a lot.

Some other sentences that are similar : "I'm stuck in traffic so I thought I'd call you.", "let me turn off my toothbrush so I can hear you better".

Anyway, I can't wait to bluetooth the gently caress out of my Nook.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

This:

This only amazes me until I consider that the 80s (For example) also had plenty of phrases that would be out of place 20 years before.

And it'll likely be that way forever.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Forget the 80s, I would have had no clue what "I got bluetooth on my nook" meant in 2000.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

This only amazes me until I consider that the 80s (For example) also had plenty of phrases that would be out of place 20 years before.

Well sure. It's just one of those moments where the amount of transformation that has occurred within my own lifetime is thrown into stark relief, and it just kinda makes me go "whoa".

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Forget the 80s, I would have had no clue what "I got bluetooth on my nook" meant in 2000.

I would have looked at the person's crotch ever so briefly, before looking back at their eyes again and assuming a stone-faced expression of polite dismissal of the news I'd just heard.

I might also wonder why the person had just told me something so private.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

Here are some selections:

Orlando Furioso

The Old Testament

The New Testament

The Crusades

Inferno

Purgatorio

Paradiso

The Idylls of the King

Paradise Lost

Don Quixote

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Couple of minor fixes to a few image margins, new version linked.

EDIT EDIT: Alright, the images were kind of dark, so I upped the gamma, lowered the white level, and fiddled with the contrast a bit. Last time I'm going to muck around with them, promise.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 5, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Strangelet Wave posted:

If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

Enjoy!

Custom screensavers don't work on Kindle 3, right?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Man, I would love to have custom screen savers. How hard is it to do that, honestly? I glanced at the stuff in the OP, but it looked fairly complicated. Is there a one click solution yet?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Strangelet Wave posted:

Here are some selections:

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

that's fly as hell, thanks! woodcut screensavers are the best

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

maxnmona posted:

Custom screensavers don't work on Kindle 3, right?

They do, but not without a little hacking. It's quite painless--it'll take maybe 5 minutes, tops, and is completely reversible. Instructions here (and in the OP).

You can also add fonts and tethering and suchlike, but I've only done the screensaver hack. Works just fine on my Kindle 3 WiFi. The screensavers cycle in order as usual (which I like), but you can also get them to randomize with the instructions in the link.

EDIT: In the instructions, it tells you to reboot by placing a blank file named "reboot" in a particular folder, but I just rebooted the Kindle the normal way (holding the power switch for ~15 seconds) and it worked fine. One less step.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

In case anyone was wondering, you can use the Nook Color inside a freezer bag just fine if you want to read in the tub, the pool, or the rain. Touch screen works perfectly.

I found this cool and pretty drat funny, adding it to the OP.

Also, will try and add those screen savers to the OP tonight or tomorrow. Whenever someone posts screen savers, i will try and place them in the 2nd post.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

I actually got the idea from googling waterproof Kindle cases a while back. It seems like a fairly common thing to do for an eReader, I'm just a little surprised at how well it works with the touch screen.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Because hey, if it's good enough for Jeff Bezos' Kindle...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
it doesn't overheat?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

Because hey, if it's good enough for Jeff Bezos' Kindle...

Maybe its just me, but that sounded like a very uncomfortable, terse interview. :v:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Strangelet Wave posted:

They do, but not without a little hacking. It's quite painless--it'll take maybe 5 minutes, tops, and is completely reversible. Instructions here (and in the OP).

You can also add fonts and tethering and suchlike, but I've only done the screensaver hack. Works just fine on my Kindle 3 WiFi. The screensavers cycle in order as usual (which I like), but you can also get them to randomize with the instructions in the link.

EDIT: In the instructions, it tells you to reboot by placing a blank file named "reboot" in a particular folder, but I just rebooted the Kindle the normal way (holding the power switch for ~15 seconds) and it worked fine. One less step.

The screensaver and font hacks are very safe if you follow the mobileread wiki instructions. Approach others with caution.

El Hefe posted:

it doesn't overheat?

My K2 doesn't, and I've never found it to generate a perceptible amount of heat.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I have kind of a frustrating problem. Certain books originally in epub format show up on my kindle with a big bar of space on the left hand side. Is there anyway to fix that? The text isn't fitting to the page, it looks like there's a huge left hand margin. I'd say 1/4th of the screen is that margin

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

El Hefe posted:

it doesn't overheat?

Have you ever used a Kindle? I'm sure it generates some amount of heat, but it's such a small amount that you'd probably need a special device to detect it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guilty posted:

I have kind of a frustrating problem. Certain books originally in epub format show up on my kindle with a big bar of space on the left hand side. Is there anyway to fix that? The text isn't fitting to the page, it looks like there's a huge left hand margin. I'd say 1/4th of the screen is that margin

The only way that I've found (if these aren't DRMed) is to use Calibre and mess with the margins...etc. If that doesn't work you can dig into the epub and mess with CSS by hand.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've ziploced my kindle for beach use and it honestly works really well. The plastic is flexible enough that you can slide the power button without opening the bag, and it keeps it safe from sand and water.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Guilty posted:

The conversion from ePub to .mobi is sometimes difficult for different programs. The issue stems from ePubs using awesome feature rich css and .mobi using some other archaic system. Other times, if it's a book that changed formats often using something like calibre, it adds tons of different class and id artifacts to the HTML causing all the style sheets to get out of control. In fact, some of the books I get from the Kindle store, I'd swear look like they came out of Calibre themselves. I've created better looking .mobis then the publishers.

Your best bet is using an ePub editor such as Sigil to check the book and make sure it's clean before attempting any conversions. Since you are reading an epub on a kindle I can assume its DRM free (otherwise you won't get it on there to begin with).

Furthermore, I found the .mobis produced by the kindle's auto conversion of epubs are inferior to that of calibre's output, at least in terms of general formatting. Some of my drop caps in ePub won't show up in a kindle converted mobi, but do in a calibre converted mobi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ara posted:

Have you ever used a Kindle? I'm sure it generates some amount of heat, but it's such a small amount that you'd probably need a special device to detect it.

Try downloading a Wheel-of-Time-sized book or two and have the Kindle index them. You'll be able to feel it warm. You'll also be able to watch the battery indicator drop.

(tip for Kindle owners: if you transfer a lot of books over from your computer, take it out of disk mode and leave it plugged in for a bit afterwards to give it a chance to index the books while powered from your computer.)