Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Last year was pretty sweet for mecha shows. Several classics were being fansubbed, most worked on or monitored by sasword's release blog, and an English translation patch was completed for Super Robot Wars J on the GBA. So let's talk about Super Robots as well as Real Robots of all varieties!

I streamlined the OP a bit, hopefully it doesn't look like rear end!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPER ROBOTS! For Beginners

WHAT IS A SUPER ROBOT?

Super robots are technologically advanced machines usually constructed to fight an ultimate evil, be it an underground empire of demonic monsters or intelligent dinosaurs, or maybe they're invaders from space, or perhaps deranged mad scientists that discovered an ancient technology to take over the world. These forces of evil usually send out giant monsters, sometimes mechanical, to wreak havoc on the earth (usually just Japan), and conventional weapons do jack poo poo. Super robots are specifically built to kick giant monster rear end, usually using amazing power sources (Getter Rays, Photon Energy, and Superelectromagnetic Energy can be used to power a giant robot), are made with the greatest metals earth has to offer (usually a Super Alloy metal, or sometimes Super Alloy Z), and have the best weapons mankind can produce which are powered not only by technology but the sheer willpower of the pilot (ROCKET PUNCH! GETTER BEAM! SPACE THUNDER! CHOUDENJI YO-YO!). Sometimes a super robot is too complicated for one pilot, or the super robot is the result of several smaller vehicle components, so the need of multiple pilots arises, but with these machines requires more than just basic understanding of how the robot works, as TEAMWORK is needed to make these robots nigh invincible! Simply put, Super Robots are the best robots.

HOW MANY SUPER ROBOT SHOWS ARE THERE?

Far too many. Some say the first would be Mazinger Z, but its creator, Go Nagai, has gone on record to say that the inspiration behind that was Tetsujin-28, known in the US as Gigantor, as well as Astro Boy, so you could say that Tetsujin-28 was the first. Since Mazinger Z, the 1970s was flooded with super robot shows of all kinds, most of them rather simple as far as plot goes. In 1979, Yoshiyuki Tomino, who created such super robot shows as Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, and Raideen, created Mobile Suit Gundam, which focused on giant robots being used on a military scale. This set the tone for the 1980s where most of the giant robot shows would have a more sci-fi feel to them, trying to explain technology that was more feasable than "powered by AWESOME". Still, a few super robot shows appeared in the '80s, the best examples of the time probably being Dancouga, which looked more like the "real robot" shows of the time, and Gunbuster, which you need to watch, I am serious you guys. The '90s had a bunch of Saturday morning cartoon-esque shows, and the genre seemed to be dying down a bit, but picked up quite a bit the '00s. There's too much to talk about with the genre, just believe me when I say there is a shitton of super robot shows of varying quality.

ARE GUNDAMS SUPER ROBOTS?

Super Robots rely heavily on a combination of SUPER-SCIENCE and BURNING SPIRIT to do what they do. Robots found in shows such as Gundam or Macross rely more on regular science(-fiction) and actual piloting ability. We call these "Real Robots" as that was the term coined by the video game series Super Robot Wars. They're still giant robots, though, and we can talk about those if you are so inclined.

MECHA SHOW RECOMMENDATIONS? LOOK NO FURTHER!

ADTRWiki Mecha covers a lot of mecha anime outings, ranging from GaoGaiGar to Shin Mazinger! MAHQ.net also covers a wide range of Real Robot information, even if the site looks like muddled crap nowadays. sasword's release blog is monitoring several releases at the same time, so keep an eye on them. (thanks AzraelNewtype for bringing attention to this)

SUPER ROBOTS IN MY MANGA? IT'S MORE AWESOME THAN YOU THINK!

Dynamic Pro Scanlations has several translated scans of the super robot manga you should be reading! From Mazinger Z to Getter Robo to Grendizer, get your fill of violent giant robot action and crazy awesome Getter Robo stories! (thanks dis astranagant for the recommendation) ANWO Scanlations has Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Burned as their project, and Giant Robo rules, maybe you should read it, so someday you can command a giant robot to punch things.

WHAT IS SUPER ROBOT WARS?

Check out the Super Robot Wars Megathread to learn more!

THE BEST SUPER ROBOT SHOW OF THE LAST DECADE! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT, DO IT!

Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen
- A modern retelling of the classic Mazinger Z storyline, and currently the best super robot show of the new millennium!

SHOWS YOU CAN PAY CASH MONEY TO OWN ON DVD/BLU-RAY!
SUPPORT PEOPLE ACTUALLY LICENSING MECHA SHOWS!

Mazinger Z
- MAZIN GO! The original Super Robot anime! Well, this or Tetsujin-28. BREAST FIRE!

Rokushin Gattai Godmars
- Literally the most fluidly-animated super robot show ever made.
:siren::siren: HULU STREAM ONLY WAIT WHAT? :siren::siren:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
- A kid tells a giant robot to punch things and the robot does and it rules.

Gun X Sword
- Super Robot Spaghetti Western

Full Metal Panic! - A military dude goes to high school to protect a high school girl from terrorists. Also robots.
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU - Same but now things are wacky and funny and this is the best of the three. BONTA-KUN!
Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid - Then things get serious again and we miss Bonta-kun.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- The history of the Super Robot genre in 26 episodes. Extremely hype, you should watch it!
:siren::siren:WARNING! HOLY poo poo THIS SHOW GOT EXPENSIVE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING ANIPLEX?:siren::siren:

SUPER ROBOT SHOWS! UNLICENSED IN THE US AND COMPLETE!

Choudenji Robo Combattler V
- V! V! V! VICTORY! Combine, 1, 2, 3! Features drunk scientists and giant robot yo-yo weapons!

Choudenji Machine Voltes V
- LET'S VOLT IN! Features drama, flying sandcastle skull battleships, and carving a giant V into everything.

Muteki Choujin Zambot 3
- ZAMBOT MOON ATTACK! Killer the Butcher is a cool villain name. Also sad things happen.

Muteki Koujin Daitarn 3
- DAITARN! COME HERE! Basically James Bond with a giant robot! Banjou is :smug:

Space Runaway Ideon
- Can you hear it? I'm sure you can hear it... that far off roar!

Ginga Senpuu Bryger
- COSMORANGER J9! No mercy to those who make good people cry. EE-YAY!

Sentou Mecha Xabungle
- Gasoline-powered robots in the wild wild post-apocalyptic Mad Max west!

Choujuu Kishin Dancouga
- YAAAAAAATTEYARUZE! Shinobu may sound like Bon Clay/Frankie from One Piece, I WONDER WHY?

Juusou Kikou Dancouga Nova
- YAAAAAAATTEYARUZE! Aoi is a racing champ, model, and robot pilot. I HOPE THIS ISN'T BAD!

Fang of the Sun Dougram - Real robot show. The realest. Kinda like VOTOMS without skating.

Panzer World Galient - Giant robots in the medieval times. Legs of lamb for all.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim - Always time for L-Gaim. Hey that rhymes.

Blue Comet SPT Layzner - An accurate look at how the '90s really were.

The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn - Not GaoGaiGar is really brave.

SUPER ROBOT SHOWS! CURRENTLY BEING SUBTITLED! Maybe

Getter Robo
- CHANGE GETTER-1! SWITCH ON! gently caress dinosaurs!
Up to Episode 18 as of Sep. 17, 2009
Episodes 19 to 31 as of Sep. 1, 2014

Great Mazinger
- DASH! DASH! SCRAMBLE DASH! Tetsuya is a dick, but that's okay because he gets results! Also starring Boss!
Up to Episode 21 as of Apr. 7, 2010

Yuusha Raideen
- GOD BIRD! CHAAAANGE! Giant robot that shoots giant arrows with a giant bow! Also turns to a bird!
Up to Episode 25 as of Sept. 24, 2013

Getter Robo G
- CHANGE DRAGON! SWITCH ON! Featuring demon Hitler!
Up to Episode 11 as of Oct. 26, 2010

Koutetsu Jeeg
- BUILD UP! Transform into a robot head and bear hug giant clay monsters to death!
Up to Episode 6 as of Mar. 28, 2012

Goldran The Brave of Gold - Up to Episode 20 as of Sept. 27, 2013

Dropped by Subbers :(

Uchuu Senshi Baldios
- Teleporting giant robot and probably something about environmentalism? I dunno.
Up to Episode 5 as of Oct. 18, 2010
Subbing ended Jan. 1, 2013

OUT-OF-PRINT DEAD LICENSE SHOWS
So a couple of companies are dead, such as Central Park Media. And their DVDs have long gone out of print, so the only other way to get them is either downloading them or spending hundreds of dollars on eBay to some dude who bought said DVDs at a fire sale.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
- Hell, bitter coffee, and robots that make cool sounds as they skate around.

Super Dimension Century Orguss
- A bomb exploded and a bunch of worlds got mashed together, so now everybody dogfights in robots.

BONUS: SUPER ROBOT WARS-THEMED AVATARS!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If anybody has any recommendations for the OP, I'm all ears. At least for a while, because that rumor about SRW Z2 is driving me crazy. :psypop:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it's a bit beyond 'rumour' level at this point. Maybe a couple of recommendations for the classic shows like Mazinger.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the other SRW threads but the SRW J translation patch was released a week or two ago: http://aerie.wingdreams.net/?p=154

edit: actually the last 6 pages of the SRW thread in games have been about SRWJ but w/e

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 5, 2011

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Maybe include a link to the ADTRW wiki page for mecha. http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Mecha

I really hope Z2 is real.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

SRWZ2 isn't real simply because all those shows being in one game and on a region-free platform I own is about as likely as someone dropping a sack of diamonds out of an aeroplane into my back yard.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Z2 has been confirmed on one of the blogs of the people working on SRW.

I still think I'm getting trolled though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Maybe include a link to the ADTRW wiki page for mecha. http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Mecha

I really hope Z2 is real.

It is absolutely 100% real. I mean, it's entirely possibly that you dropped into a coma and are simply having a dying hallucination, but if you're not, it's real.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

I still think I'm getting trolled though.

Cast List posted:

Invincible Super Man Zambot 3
Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
Muteki Robo Trider G7
Space Emperor God Sigma
Space Warrior Baldios
Six God Combination Godmars
Combat Mecha Xabungle
*Armored Trooper VOTOMS
*Armored Trooper VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder
*Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Red Shoulder Document: The Roots of Ambition
*Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Pailsen Files
The Super Dimension Century Orguss
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
*Mobile Suit Gundam 00 1st Season

Choujuu Kishin Dancougar
Juusou Kikou Dancouga Nova
Shin Getter Robo Armageddon
*Shin Mazinger Impact! Z-Hen
*Chikyuu Bouei Kigyou DaiGuard
The Big O
Overman King Gainer
Gravion Zwei
Genesis of Aquarion
*Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
*Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
*Gurren Lagann The Movie: Childhood's End
Macross F
*Macross F Movie: Itsuwari no Utahime
*Eureka Seven Movie: Pocketful of Rainbows

*=Debut
-CCA and MF-Movie are there for units only.

:sbahj:

Shin Mazinger, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann? Makes me a little disappointed that I don't own a PSP. I don't really like the idea of playing a non-translated SRW though, half of the fun of @G for me was seeing all of the different characters interacting.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

So who else is excited about getting Chirico to kick the poo poo out of Knightmare Frames? I know I am!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

So who else is excited about getting Chirico to kick the poo poo out of Knightmare Frames? I know I am!

Pretty much this. Gundam who? If you're not a S-sized unit or a super robot, get the gently caress out of my party.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I am eagerly looking forward to SRW Z2 to the point where it's convinced me to buy a PSP.

On a more super robot anime note, I have been watching Fighbird of late and while it started strongly for the first 30 episodes, the next few episodes have been absolutely poo poo. It started out with some creative enemy designs, a good mix of silly fish-out-of-water humour and a reasonable over-arching plot (for a super robot show). There was quite a good arc mid-way through where the enemy leader turned up in an evil 3-part combiner that was huge and ripped some poo poo up, and was only pushed back by two consecutive upgrades.

Then, once the hero is at his most powerful, you get a whole bunch of really unfunny monster-of-the-week stuff with hideous enemy designs (giant robot baby being the worst) and stupid plots like "kidnap Mother Teresa," "kidnap babies" and "send out evil TV broadcasts" which is all the worst parts of GaoGaiGar's early episodes with none of the humour or inventive enemies. I'm hoping this trend ends and the main villain comes back instead of his henchmen, because then it will be back to super robots fighting other super robots.

That said, when it hits the mark, it's good fun - the hero is basically an more stupid Guy Shishio who has the ability to punch dudes really hard and turn into a giant robot, accompanied by a mad scientist and two smart-rear end kids.

To get rid of this bad taste, I've also started Nadesico and it's genuinely funny - I'm getting a sort of "Tenchi Muyo meets Macross" vibe from it, and that's good.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Zorak posted:

Z2 has been confirmed on one of the blogs of the people working on SRW.

Oh god, it was? Hell yeah! I have to finish J before April then it would seem, and start trying to brush up on my mediocre japanese for spirits/stuff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Oh god, it was? Hell yeah! I have to finish J before April then it would seem, and start trying to brush up on my mediocre japanese for spirits/stuff.

The Akurasu Wiki should have translations up for anything you might need, including Spirit Commands and all the special pilot skills and whatnot.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201101/07037542.html

Loving the 80s shading.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So when it comes to playing the SRW games do you buy the ROMs legally and then put a crack on to the DS you're using to understand what they're saying or what? I keep wanting to play them but I'm lazy and whatnot.

Also, do I just hit up playasia to buy the actual games assuming this is true?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tsob posted:

So when it comes to playing the SRW games do you buy the ROMs legally and then put a crack on to the DS you're using to understand what they're saying or what? I keep wanting to play them but I'm lazy and whatnot.

Also, do I just hit up playasia to buy the actual games assuming this is true?

None of the DS ones are translated, so no, you don't do anything to understand what they're saying. You either know enough Japanese, or don't care.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A modded PSP with GBA/PSX emulation is your best bet for the SRW J and Alpha Gaiden patches, I think

Not sure where you'd find a retail copy of any of those games since they're all quite old. Play Asia lists Alpha Gaiden as out of print/out of stock and I don't even see a listing for J

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zorak posted:

None of the DS ones are translated, so no, you don't do anything to understand what they're saying. You either know enough Japanese, or don't care.

Actually there's a fairly small patch for W. It translates a couple of menus and a good chunk of spirit commands.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Not sure where you'd find a retail copy of any of those games since they're all quite old. Play Asia lists Alpha Gaiden as out of print/out of stock and I don't even see a listing for J

I ended up getting all of the PSX SRW games off of eBay, complete and in at least very good condition, ranging from $12 to $40. Your Results May Vary (tm)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 7, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://getterrobo.blogspot.com/ should really be in the OP. They don't update very often, but when they do it's usually because a whole Getter Robo tank just got translated. And their current releases are pretty much required reading for this thread.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 8, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm expecting a video of Chirico one shot killing Emperor Zuul to show up on Nico Nico Douga the day after the release.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I will probably never actually play the game, but I'm dying to know if Chirico's Scopedog punch attack is ammo based. Also, will its dodging animation include that backwards spin thing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just watched the first ep of Mazinkaiser SKL and well, I didn't know we were getting a new Getter Robo OVA :v:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Shiiit, where can I see SKL :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I just watched the first ep of Mazinkaiser SKL and well, I didn't know we were getting a new Getter Robo OVA :v:

This isn't really an accurate description. The Getters are very violent, but there tends to be a method to them, an actual plot. SKL is just overblown as gently caress and without character.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

http://getterrobo.blogspot.com/ should really be in the OP. They don't update very often, but when they do it's usually because a whole Getter Robo tank just got translated. And their current releases are pretty much required reading for this thread.

Updated the OP with this. I usually forget manga when there's animes to be watchin', that's my fault, especially considering how much good stuff they've translated.

As for SKL, I'm just not feelin' it. :(

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm so conflicted about whether to watch SKL. On one hand, it's basically taking a giant dump on the whole series. On the other, the possibility of gritty 90s Boss Borot is just about the best thing ever.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Yinlock posted:

I'm so conflicted about whether to watch SKL. On one hand, it's basically taking a giant dump on the whole series. On the other, the possibility of gritty 90s Boss Borot is just about the best thing ever.

For me, it's SO over the top it crosses the line again and becomes good. It's got pistols with clips, for god's sake, gigantic gun clips like the ones that you'd reload a real pistol with. Also, Nobuyuki Hiyama voices one of the characters, and you can't really ever go wrong with him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

I'm so conflicted about whether to watch SKL. On one hand, it's basically taking a giant dump on the whole series.

I don't see how. SKL is it's own continuity.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't see how. SKL is it's own continuity.

It's more that it assumes Go Nagai is about being XTREME XHYPERXACTION, whereas, believe it or not, there's usually some point to ultra violence and an emotional direction to Uncle Go's works.

Take his two most better known violent works, Devilman and Violence Jack. Are they violent and depraved? Absolutely. Is there a lot of violence action? Yes. Is there an intended reason for this beyond GORE IS AWESOME? Definitely. It's to construct an emotional mood.

SKL basically has no soul or plot whatsoever!

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I like SKL and I think it's silly that any of you are complaining about the plot when they've barely had time to tell us anything yet.

And Violence Jack at first was nothing more than a big guy who kills bad guys, all the plot stuff was added later on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Octo1 posted:

I like SKL and I think it's silly that any of you are complaining about the plot when they've barely had time to tell us anything yet.

And Violence Jack at first was nothing more than a big guy who kills bad guys, all the plot stuff was added later on.

Nope, if you pay attention in retrospect, in the manga at least, it was always meant to be an extension of Devilman.

Reminder that Go Nagai considers Devilman his magnum opus, which is kind of silly but whatever.

And they haven't even tried to tell us anything yet. Seeing as how this OVA is going to be, what, three episodes long, that's kind of bad!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Octo1 posted:

The show is three episodes. We are one-third of the way done with it. They've had plenty of time to give us any reason at all to care about this poo poo, and don't really have that much time left.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, final verdict. Is it worth watching at all?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not as bad as Zorak and AzraelNewtype are hollering, but you're very much not watching it for any kind of plot so far. It's violence for violence sake and fun in its own way. Don't bother watching if you're all MY ANIMES, THEY ARE NOT SERIOUS ENOUGH.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I liked it but I can see where people would get bored with it. The action is well done but people think the lack of plot, designs and fast pacing make it tedious. Watch it and make up your own mind, the first episode is only 30 minutes.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
It's already hinted that it takes place after some other Mazinger story (Photon Lab ruins in the OP, the island they're on is likely Bardos). Knowing that, you really have to wonder, what happened to Mazinkaiser? Why the is the island the way it is? And why does Ken look like Kouji?

I don't expect them to be able to answer everything in just 3 episodes, as it feels like SKL is meant to be part of a bigger story (the manga is still ongoing I think?), but I just don't feel that it's fair to poo poo on it just because it decided to focus on the action in its first episode.

And Violence Jack didn't have any real relationship with Devilman (other than cameos) until much later on (sure you have Ryo & Miki show up early on, but Jun from Great Mazinger shows up as well in the very next story arc). However, Violence Jack was meant to be Devilman's opposite (things get better slowly, as opposed to things going bad quickly). It was supposedly Go Nagai's idea of a "healing process" after he finished Devilman.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zorak posted:

Take his two most better known violent works, Devilman and Violence Jack. Are they violent and depraved? Absolutely. Is there a lot of violence action? Yes. Is there an intended reason for this beyond GORE IS AWESOME? Definitely. It's to construct an emotional mood.
Can't say about Violence Jack, the OVA series was crap and the manga never got translated, and it pisses me off so much when reading the wiki entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKL was just boring. The entire first episode was a lot of style and flash, but without any substance. Having ridiculous excess loses something if there's nothing behind it. Mazinkaiser doing Equilibrium gun-kata fights is vaguely amusing, but it was amusing in a way that wore out once the first trailer was over, let alone the actual show.

It's not the Worst Thing Ever but it's really bland and boring despite trying so hard to go for excess and tribute.

• Locked thread