Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.
From the New York Times article on Angry Birds:

Angry Birds cake

Not a goon's cake (I presume) but it's pretty cool.

Though I was pretty :psyduck: after this quote:

quote:

Anya Richardson, a technical writer and editor in Mulhall, Okla., got swept up in the Angry Birds craze when her 8-year-old son, Roenick, asked for a birthday cake based on the game. Ms. Richardson spent nearly 80 hours crafting a two-tiered concoction that included hand-shaped replicas of the game’s cranky fowl.

“His birthday was in October, but I couldn’t finish the cake until November,” she said.

cocteau fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I'd like to share the method that I use of making fondant roses. I used to do it the Wilton method with the ball roller and foam, but they always came out super thick and really inconsistent.

Heres a video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzp3XfhUpQ4

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Dancingthroughlife posted:

^^ I think that's a pretty cake! How hard were the roses, I haven't attempted them yet.

Roses aren't hard, they just take practice. I work with mostly buttercream and whipped icings in the bakery, so I try to get a firm consistency with the icing. I use a102 or 104 depending on the size of the rose. Just look up videos online. Best tip I have: always count your petals and tilt the nail, not you wrist. I still do both of these things after 15+ years of decorating.

KGmeow
Oct 5, 2007

My boyfriend wanted to bring something to work since the class he was helping train was graduating so I made the homemade funfetti cupcakes from earlier in the thread. They were a huge hit and I had somebody ask me for the recipe earlier today. :) The only thing that I would do differently next time is go with my gut and get another pack of pastry bags. I couldn't find my stash at home, so I had to improvise with some sandwich baggies. :argh: The fuckers just kept on splitting open!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Pyrotoad posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

Not sure if this lady has been posted here before, but here is a Japanese woman (and her dog) with a recipe for cake. It looks pretty good.

Whoever decided fruitcake was a good Christmas dessert was out of their mind. Japanese Christmas cake is like strawberry shortcake! How could this have not caught on more here?!

Also, Cooking With Dog is one of the more entertaining YouTube cooking shows. That dog is just so nonchalant. :D

PoliSciGirl
Feb 22, 2010
Any suggestions on making a poinsettia cake?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

Not sure if this lady has been posted here before, but here is a Japanese woman (and her dog) with a recipe for cake. It looks pretty good.

Cant stop watchin that fukkin dog.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

PoliSciGirl posted:

Any suggestions on making a poinsettia cake?

Do you mean how to make poinsettias with icing? I use a #352 tip to make the petals and leaves and #3 for the yellow center dots. A #366 will work as well for leaves and petals.

I start with a base of five large petals in a star shape. Then, alternate the 5 petals on top with medium petals. Then, add 4-5 small petals.

Looks like this (not my cake):

But, if you are talking about a recipe of some kind, sorry... but here is a way to decorate it!

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
Frankdiabetes, did you send a picture of the final cake to Mike McCarey? I'm sure he'd love to see your finished work!

Carry on, awesome cake thread. Carry on.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
I made a rainbow cake! Okay, so it is way too sweet (used a cake mix from a box) and I only had boring old liquid food colouring, but the density was just right and it looks pretty.

Next time, got to work on the taste.

Behold, terrible photo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Polly Amorous
Feb 28, 2008

"And if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine."

Red Velvet Cake! My first non-mix cake. I was baking at altitude and so I tweaked the recipe a little, not to mention I only had half the food coloring I needed and it was Christmas day so everywhere was closed. If I bake another, I think I will add an egg white (one of the altitude suggestions). Note to anyone using organic powdered sugar: make sure to sift it before using in the frosting. Yay lumps! This might be a good idea for any powdered sugar, but I haven't ever had as much trouble with regular confectioner's sugar.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, my brother's birthday is on December 26th, so I made him a birthday cake! I wasn't going for looks, more like taste (orange juice cake, lemon icing, fresh fruit and whipped cream). Unfortunately, because the kitchen was really warm due to all the cooking we were doing, and I wasn't thinking right (bit too much eggnog) and didn't think to let the whipped cream come down to room temperature, it all melted before it could make it to the table. There are pictures I need to dig up and I'll post them as soon as I do. It's absolutely hilarious. But, it tasted GREAT!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Note to self; don't try to be not so "edgy" and "cool" with the colors when it comes to traditional red velvet cake recipes. There's a reason the chemical reaction turns it a certain color (read: red). Introducing a differently colored dye to help it along in being the afformentioned "cool" or "edgy" will result in people thinking your cakes were made by swamp thing.

Still good, though.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
What's the chemical reaction for turning red?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Charmmi posted:

What's the chemical reaction for turning red?

Basically it's the buttermilk and vinegar reacting to something in the cocoa, and it's something that "Dutch Processed" cocoa doesn't have (which is why recipes generally say don't use it).

fake edit: Quick Wiki search says it brings out the Anthocyanin, which is what makes plants red, blue and purple (think of how Hydrangeas are different colors depending on the pH of the soil. The buttermilk and vinegar changes the pH to bring out the red.)

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Who wants to see the Christmas cake I made?

Nobody?

Well screw you, I'm posting it anyway

(lovely iPhone pic)

It was only my second time covering a cake with fondant and my first time decorating a cake this size that I couldn't afford to screw up on. That cake was a behemoth, containing over 2 lbs of of fruit, along with more butter, sugar and eggs than I care to think about. Also, booze, lots of booze in there

It ended up ok, but I had to deal with the fondant cracking and looking lumpy in a lot of places, so I had to do some patch-up jobs and cover the cracks with fondant cut-outs (hence all the snowflakes)

Still, I think it turned out pretty well

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty great. What are the snowflakes made out of?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

FlashGordonRamsay posted:

That's pretty great. What are the snowflakes made out of?

Fondant. I used plunger cutters to get the shape and some nice embossed detail. I rarely use fondant, so the process involved a lot of swearing

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

clarabelle posted:

It ended up ok, but I had to deal with the fondant cracking and looking lumpy in a lot of places, so I had to do some patch-up jobs and cover the cracks with fondant cut-outs (hence all the snowflakes)

It looks great though! I love the snowflakes, I think it's just the right concentration of them.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

frankdiabetes posted:

It looks great though! I love the snowflakes, I think it's just the right concentration of them.

I brushed lustre dust on them to make them shimmer slightly. They looked pretty cool

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

frankdiabetes posted:

Seconding this. I think those snowflakes are totally awesome and I'd love to get my hands on the cutters. What a perfectly cute cake!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Sehkmet posted:

Seconding this. I think those snowflakes are totally awesome and I'd love to get my hands on the cutters. What a perfectly cute cake!

I got them at a cooking supplies store, but the exact same ones are on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/PME-Snowflake-Plunger-Cutter-Set/dp/B0019C5UH6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294098840&sr=8-3

I have cutters for holly leaves and simple flowers too. They're very simple to use (as long as the fondant isn't too soft). Plus the multi-pack gives you some nice variety. The best is that the plunger that you use for embossing the shape also acts to pop the fondant back out, so there's less chance of tearing it. Definitely worth the money if you do a lot of decorating, not so much if you only use them once a year

delicielilfishe
Oct 22, 2010
So I wanted to try the rainbow cake that I've seen on here. Since it was my cousins 8th birthday I made her an Ariel cake with the rainbow inside! She thought it was very cool. I also got to play with my new airbrush. That mermaid was very difficult to make and to make it stick on the cake without falling apart was very hard.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

delicielilfishe posted:

So I wanted to try the rainbow cake that I've seen on here. Since it was my cousins 8th birthday I made her an Ariel cake with the rainbow inside! She thought it was very cool. I also got to play with my new airbrush. That mermaid was very difficult to make and to make it stick on the cake without falling apart was very hard.

Looks really good. I love a good rainbow cake. A professional baker once told me that it's best to use strands of spaghetti (uncooked of course) to hold figures together and stick them to stuff. It eliminates the risk that a child will accidentally swallow something non-edible and get you sued. Were you using sugar glue to keep the figure together? The stuff I use is pretty good at holding stuff together.

The figure's really good overall, but the face could use some extra contouring

Now I want an airbrush

delicielilfishe
Oct 22, 2010

clarabelle posted:

Looks really good. I love a good rainbow cake. A professional baker once told me that it's best to use strands of spaghetti (uncooked of course) to hold figures together and stick them to stuff. It eliminates the risk that a child will accidentally swallow something non-edible and get you sued. Were you using sugar glue to keep the figure together? The stuff I use is pretty good at holding stuff together.

The figure's really good overall, but the face could use some extra contouring

Now I want an airbrush

Oh that's a good idea! I will need to do that next time. I used a mixture of toothpicks, glucose and piping gel. She was supposed to have 2 fins but the other one wouldn't stay on no matter what i did. I think if I were to ever do this again I would mold the figure to the cake rather then waiting for it to dry and then trying to assemble.

This was the first time Ive ever really tried to mold a person before. The face definitely needs work. I am going to have to practice people more becuase the other cousin is already asking for a tangled cake :S

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

delicielilfishe posted:

Oh that's a good idea! I will need to do that next time. I used a mixture of toothpicks, glucose and piping gel. She was supposed to have 2 fins but the other one wouldn't stay on no matter what i did. I think if I were to ever do this again I would mold the figure to the cake rather then waiting for it to dry and then trying to assemble.

Do you have CMC powder? You just mix that with some water and you get some great glue from it. The best way to keep them together is to create grooves and lumps so that you're slotting bits together rather than adhering two flat surfaces. Either that, or don't make the tricky bits separately, just mould them as a part of the main body

quote:

This was the first time Ive ever really tried to mold a person before. The face definitely needs work. I am going to have to practice people more becuase the other cousin is already asking for a tangled cake :S

There are some great tutorials for faces on youtube

delicielilfishe
Oct 22, 2010

clarabelle posted:

Do you have CMC powder?

I have never heard of this but I just looked it up and I will have to get some. Thanks so much!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

delicielilfishe posted:

I have never heard of this but I just looked it up and I will have to get some. Thanks so much!

I had never heard of it until today, when I encountered the chapter about it in Twinkie, Deconstructed. Which is a fantastic book, by the way.

And makes me never want to eat pre-packaged cake again. :aaa:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Birthday Cake design. Made by someone I know.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
A silly cake I made for someone's birthday: a narwhal and a turtle roasting weenies and marshmallows over a campfire. Chocolate cake with Kahlua ganache and coffee buttercream.

Inspired by this button:

I did get to try one new technique: pulling sugar! It seemed to go pretty well, not a complete disaster at least. If I do more with pulled sugar, I definitely need to get a heat lamp because a lot of sugar went wasted once it cooled and hardened beyond the point I could shape it. Also, gloves are NEEDED, preferably a pair of cotton gloves under a pair of latex gloves or you will have burned and blistered hands.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

A silly cake I made for someone's birthday: a narwhal and a turtle roasting weenies and marshmallows over a campfire. Chocolate cake with Kahlua ganache and coffee buttercream.

Inspired by this button:

I did get to try one new technique: pulling sugar! It seemed to go pretty well, not a complete disaster at least. If I do more with pulled sugar, I definitely need to get a heat lamp because a lot of sugar went wasted once it cooled and hardened beyond the point I could shape it. Also, gloves are NEEDED, preferably a pair of cotton gloves under a pair of latex gloves or you will have burned and blistered hands.

That Is freakishly cute.

Is the narwhal made of modeling chocolate? Is his horn one of the pieces you pulled? Great work.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I procured one of those giant cupcake pans that seem to be everywhere at the moment. I tried baking with it today. It has not gone well so far. The cake managed to be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, and it didn't rise as much as I needed it too. Luckily this was just a test-run to see how it all worked, so I don't have to worry about disappointing/poisoning anyone. I'm about to go decorate it, hopefully that won't be as much of a disaster

UPDATE: Decorating it made it worse. Much, much worse

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 7, 2011

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

Pooptron2003 posted:

Is the narwhal made of modeling chocolate? Is his horn one of the pieces you pulled? Great work.

Thanks! The narwhal is made out of rice krispie treats covered in marzipan, and the horn is gumpaste.

clarabelle- try baking it at a lower temperature.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

frankdiabetes posted:

Thanks! The narwhal is made out of rice krispie treats covered in marzipan, and the horn is gumpaste.

clarabelle- try baking it at a lower temperature.

I had it at 180C, that seemed pretty low to me

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

clarabelle posted:

I had it at 180C, that seemed pretty low to me

I would do it at 325F, about 163C.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Sputnik posted:

Birthday Cake design. Made by someone I know.

This one's not getting nearly enough love. It's so cute!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

clarabelle posted:

I procured one of those giant cupcake pans that seem to be everywhere at the moment. I tried baking with it today. It has not gone well so far. The cake managed to be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, and it didn't rise as much as I needed it too. Luckily this was just a test-run to see how it all worked, so I don't have to worry about disappointing/poisoning anyone. I'm about to go decorate it, hopefully that won't be as much of a disaster

UPDATE: Decorating it made it worse. Much, much worse

frankdiabetes is right - 325 should do it. Also, when I made my giant cupcake, I poured the bottom half first, let it cook for about 10/15 minute, then poured in the top. That way everything cooked pretty evenly.

I baked more cookies than I did cake this December break. I just got back into the swing of things with these pretty morsels:

Cardamom and pistachio cakes with rose water swiss buttercream. Tasted just like the kulfi we got from the Punjabi supermarket :)

This next week I'll be working on an olive oil and balsamic vinegar cupcake with a parm-popcorn crunch. Bizarre. I know.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

PezMaster posted:

This next week I'll be working on an olive oil and balsamic vinegar cupcake with a parm-popcorn crunch. Bizarre. I know.

Sounds...interesting. I'm anxious to know how they turn out!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has anyone ever made "bread pudding" with leftover cake? Because it's awesome.

The cake was pretty dry, which helped. So did the use of a cookie base, caramel-chocolate syrup, bananas, cream cheese frosting, and toasted coconut. This is what happens when you have parts of several desserts left over at one time, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

frankdiabetes posted:

Sounds...interesting. I'm anxious to know how they turn out!

Really really good.

It was a really light and fresh basil-lemon olive oil cake with a balsamic vinegar whipped cream and balsamic popcorn. People really didn't know what to make of it - a lot of them asked if it was supposed to be savoury - but, once they bit into one, we really won them over.

Also, I just got Krystina Castella's A World of Cake, which is a pretty neat recipe book of 150 different cakes from about 50 or so countries. It also includes cake history and genealogy. Any country requests? I'm not sure where to start (I'm leaning towards Africa and the Middle East).

• Locked thread