Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Adrianics posted:

Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.
So you're saying you've never seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or Man to Man with Dean Learner? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Beeswax posted:

This?

(about three minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6ttnaeNmI

edit: I guess this isn't quite as outlandish as your description but it seems like a pretty good fit anyway.

That's definitely it, thanks.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Zorba the Greek posted:

I have the biggest loving crush on him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/28/invisible-wife-syndrome-celebrity-relationships

Gia Milinovich posted:

While Wonders was on TV, it seemed that everyone was declaring their love for Brian: young girls, older women, gay men, even throngs of straight men admitted to having a bit of a man crush on him. At one point, on Twitter, Sarah Cawood asked Lauren Laverne to set her up with Brian, as he'd been on her show that morning... All I could think was, "Really? He used to be a bus spotter. Sure, he's cute, but he really is a massive nerd." Later that day, the baby threw up on me, so I tweeted to Sarah Cawood that I'd be very happy to share my husband with her 50/50, if she took over the baby vomit cleaning duties. Unfortunately, she declined.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BizarroAzrael posted:

10 O'Clock Live trailer

Not sure you can take much away from that on what the show will actually be like, but still funny.

Ooh, I didn't realise this was just going to be a regular version of their Alternative Election program. I love Mitchell, I love Carr, I love Brooker even though he's always awkward in the live segments and if you're gonna use a token girl presenter then Laverne is pretty much your best option. Definitely gonna be watching this.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

wow, uhhh, she doesn't sound too happy :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://transmitblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/preview-10-oclock-live/

Review of the 10 o clock show pilot.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Yep thats the funniest thing ive seen this year.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

nationalista posted:

wow, uhhh, she doesn't sound too happy :(

Wow, bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Indeed. I hope she let him read it, first, but if the article is accurate he may have been oblivious to the content anyway.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Megaterium posted:

Tell that to David Attenborough.
It's quite old but there's a series of videos by Iain Lee ringing up these sort of programs with the same answer over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0au9lnZYE

He had to stop doing this because people started realising it was him.

Shame really. Also obligatory plug, Absolute Radio, Monday to Thursday nights, 11pm-1am.

It's hilarious and his callers are insane.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They forgot that they need actual chemistry in and between the teams. On top of that Alan Carr is just not funny.

Exactly, they are usually pretty good at getting a good mix of people and teaming them up well. I didn't think much of Claudia Winkleman before her Big Fat Quiz of the Year appearences but fell in love with her because of them, she just seemed so enthusiastic about everything which this year just didn't have.

Also, its one thing to write a funny answer if you don't know the real one but writing stupid poo poo down to an obvious one is just boring and makes the already fairly pointless quiz system completely irrelevant.

Micheal McIntyre looked like he was going to seriously hit Louis Spence when he leapt up on to his desk and Ross could clearly be heard on his mic saying "this is a loving long round" while he was prancing around.

Watching the show is always a nice send off to the year and there is usually a good laugh but it was all down to guest selection, Ross is the only one they should ask back.

Suggestions for next year -

Ross / Winkleman
Mitchell / Webb
Dara O'Briain / Brian Cox

Bonus points if they can manage Warwick Davis / Karl Pilkington, and they only have one chair available for them.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Uncertain Frog posted:

Ross is the only one they should ask back.

They can't exactly ditch Ross anyway as his production company makes the bloody thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Adrianics posted:

Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.

You know he does other things right? funny things?

It sounded like it was a crap quiz though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Richard Ayoade had a really good role in the Might Boosh radio show, which anyone who liked the first series of the TV show should listen to. I think you can also find YouTube videos of him playing Dixon Banebridge before Matt Berry did it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Both actors really need more work dammit.

I've always wanted to see Matt Berry and Fulcher doing their thing live it looks awesome.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Adrianics posted:

Oh my loving God it doesn't get funnier and funnier the more you do that "I'm going to pretend I don't know the answer and write down whatever random butterfly roundabout jellyfish in a purple tinted turtleneck bullshit pops into my oh-so-precious head" shut up shut up SHUT UP

and yeah, just to prove I'm not biased: The rest of it was poo poo, too. I only got to March so maybe it got amazing after that, I don't know.

The whole monkey cheese purple dishwasher oh god how wacky-stuff is more of Noel Fielding's thing though. He does that in any situation. Ayoade was on the Big Fat Quiz previously, paired with David Mitchell and was pretty drat good. But this year's edition certainly wasn't a home run, even if I'm not as down on it as most people seem to be.

edit: If there's one thing that TBFQ needs it's Rob Brydon. I'm not in love with the man but his whole fatherly, slightly condescending thing has worked great when he's been on.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 6, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
so, what's the WORST possible lineup for a comedy panel show? You can only pick people it's feasible to have on there (possibly only people who've done at least one before) and "topical" non comedy guests like Buzzcocks music people or HIGNFY politicians aren't allowed.

I don't know my full lineup but it definitely features Allan Carr

Speaking of comedy panel shows, did anyone listen to the 99p challenge on radio? it was more pre-scripted and less topical than a normal panel show, but the performers came up with some really good stuff and though there was a bit of "random" humour it never strayed too far into monkey-cheese and generally was pretty well structured. They had some incerdibly classy regular panelists too, like Armando Iannucci, Simon Pegg and Peter Serafinowicz.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

themonkeythatcried posted:

Ooh, I didn't realise this was just going to be a regular version of their Alternative Election program. I love Mitchell, I love Carr, I love Brooker even though he's always awkward in the live segments and if you're gonna use a token girl presenter then Laverne is pretty much your best option. Definitely gonna be watching this.

This is getting tedius now. I realise there has to be a debate on the value of women comedians at least once a year but are we really trying to say Lauren Laverne isn't on the same level as the other 3? I realise some of you see David Mitchell as a possible friend you could take to the pub while the scary female is controlled by the moon but come on have a bit of respect and stop making smarmy arse remarks about token girl. If you don't like her then just say so instead of making cruel insinuations that her comedy career is some kind of terrible accident.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Fatkraken posted:

so, what's the WORST possible lineup for a comedy panel show?

Mock The Week.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Probably like:

Jack Whitehall,
Michael McIntyre,
Peter Kay,
That Nigerian bird,
That posh fella.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tardstar posted:

This is getting tedius now. I realise there has to be a debate on the value of women comedians at least once a year but are we really trying to say Lauren Laverne isn't on the same level as the other 3? I realise some of you see David Mitchell as a possible friend you could take to the pub while the scary female is controlled by the moon but come on have a bit of respect and stop making smarmy arse remarks about token girl. If you don't like her then just say so instead of making cruel insinuations that her comedy career is some kind of terrible accident.
I honestly had no idea she had any sort of "comedy career."

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Akuma posted:

I honestly had no idea she had any sort of "comedy career."

She doesn't have a comedy career but her interviews and appearances on shows like Never Mind The Buzzcocks are pretty awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FgH2WD7bOY

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The worst panel show lineup would be
Jack Whitehall (just terrible)
Charlie Higson (seems like a sweet man but is completely lost on panel shows and somehow still gets booked from time to time)
Germaine Greer (why on earth is she doing panel shows and comedy quizzes?)

vs

Peter Serafinowicz (another one of those guys who can be funny but not in panel shows. That, or he just gets shat on by the editors in anything he's on)
Keith Chegwin (self explanatory. He did some panel shows while promoting his latest book. Oh the cringing...)
Ruby Wax (just terrible)

and the kicker? Andy Parson would host it.

Also, by "that Nigerian chick", do people mean Andi Osho? She's not great but she's not THAT bad. Or maybe she is, and I'm just cutting her slack because I find her really attractive. :shobon:

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

Beeswax posted:

Also, by "that Nigerian chick", do people mean Andi Osho? She's not great but she's not THAT bad. Or maybe she is, and I'm just cutting her slack because I find her really attractive. :shobon:

I think they mean Gina Yashere.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I knew there was another Nigerian female stand up, but I couldn't pin it down!

Yeah, Gina is dreadful...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah and the posh bloke is Miles Jupp.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
Andi Osha is actually alright. Gina Yashere is god awful. Miles Jupp is ace.

As for bad-panel show line-up:

Jack Whitehall, Gina Yashere, Andy Parson, Katy Brand, Janet Street Porter, Patrick Kielty, James Corden, Alan Carr, David Walliams... I could probably think of a few more.

You could probably even add Stewart Lee to that list, he's admittedly terrible at panel shows.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Russell Brand, Frankie Boyle, and James Corden (three loud-mouths all desperate to be the alpha male) vs Andy Parsons, Jonathon Ross and Alan Davies (three people incapable of staying on topic and not introducing unfunny 'comedic' diversions)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Don't forget Russell Howard.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

Did nobody else notice that the new shady millionaire dude in Primeval is Dr Bashir from DS9? :aaaaa:
He looks so old!

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
If we're playing top trumps with comedians, I'm going to play Justin Lee Collins.

Or possibly Catherine Tate

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, people dislike Miles Jupp? What the-

As for the definitive worst panel show lineup, my picks were mostly off the top of my head people I could recall doing Buzzcocks or Mock the Week or You have been watching in the past year or two. If we're free to drag in people like Justin Lee Collins or Peter Kay then all bets are off.

Bandamyion
Oct 22, 2008
Just watching the last episode of Stargazing Live. Really enjoyed it so far, even tho I've read-up on most of what they're on about over the last few years. Love the way and how the people are presenting it, including the lovely bint in Hawaii. Maybe I'm easily pleased. More shows like this can't be a bad thing. Spring Watch. Jupiter-Comet-Impact Watch.

Quick question... The music played in Dara's "climbing the dish" scene, what is it? It's starting to bug me now.

Johnathen Ross is a bit hopeless tho.

Music Edit: Matrix?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Wait, people dislike Miles Jupp? What the-

I like him although he will always be Archie the Inventor to me. When I was watching Buzzcocks the other night I realised I'd actually met him and Frankie Boyle - Scotland IS a village.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
Famous and Fearless is neither:

a) Full of famous people

or

b) Fearless

How do people get these concepts on to TV?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They know their market. You're not it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

eating only apples posted:

Don't forget Russell Howard.

Did anyone else watch the Mock The Week Christmas special? One of the special 'previously unaired' doo-dahs was Russell Howard parroting the "change wand for wang" Harry Potter meme that has been on the internet for years and years and years as if he came up with it, what a cock.

Plus Jack Whitehall's joke about Harry Potter being a children's book. You don't say! I bet your big and important agent dad who has basically bought you your success is proud of you with cutting-edge analysis and wit like that.

*comedy anger itt*

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
Russel Brand, Russel Howard and Andi Osho are all great standups. Sorry your taste in comedy is limited to a list of, "people I could be contextless friends with in fair weather with good luck", a list that I can already imagine to be quite wanting in the first place.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Nobody else watching Derren Brown: Enigma? It's awfully good fun. He's doing Victorian Spiritualist tricks, and doing them very well. In addition to being an actual witch, his showmanship and rapport with the audience is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!
I'm watching it right now. He's brilliant as all ways, apart from the lottery thing last year, and I can't wait for the day in the life of documentary.