Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Can you gift Kindle books across regions? I really want to read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer, but its not available in Canada on the Kindle.

I can, however, find it on Amazon.com which indicates that it is available in some regions.

The weird thing is Amazon.com won't even acknowledge the kindle edition exists until I log in, and even then its just to deny me the purchase. Thanks amazon. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Strangelet Wave posted:

Glad you liked them! Has anyone put them on something older than a Kindle 3? I'm afraid they'd look super murky on a screen with less contrast or fewer shades of grey.

Looks good on the NC, man. Thanks for making them!

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Thinking about moving from my Kindle 3G to a Nook Color. How is the screen for watching movies on the Nook? Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snuffman posted:

Can you gift Kindle books across regions? I really want to read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer, but its not available in Canada on the Kindle.

I can, however, find it on Amazon.com which indicates that it is available in some regions.

The weird thing is Amazon.com won't even acknowledge the kindle edition exists until I log in, and even then its just to deny me the purchase. Thanks amazon. :mad:

You could get an American to allow you to temporarily register your Kindle on their account to get the books.

Iron Squid posted:

Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

If you want a "color Kindle" you have a bunch of Android tablets to choose from.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

If you want a "color Kindle" you have a bunch of Android tablets to choose from.

This is a good point. Maybe an Android tablet is more what I need than a Nook.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Iron Squid posted:

Thinking about moving from my Kindle 3G to a Nook Color. How is the screen for watching movies on the Nook? Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

The screen does pretty well, and youtube performs well for movies. When I'm near my PC, I'll see if I can get the movies app to work on it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Astoundingly awful ereader on sellout.woot.com today.

Yea, it's color, and yea, it's cheap, and yea, it's pretty bad. Just a friendly warning.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
How necessary is a case for the newest kindle? Friend of mine has one and while the small size is a plus, it also makes it look a bit flimsy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

boo_radley posted:

The screen does pretty well, and youtube performs well for movies. When I'm near my PC, I'll see if I can get the movies app to work on it.

It seems like all of the Youtube videos I go to on my NC are displayed with ultra-lovely resolution, even those that have decent resolution when viewed on a PC. I think that Youtube thinks my NC is a cell phone. Do you know of a way to fix it by any chance?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

How necessary is a case for the newest kindle? Friend of mine has one and while the small size is a plus, it also makes it look a bit flimsy.

The lighted leather case kicks rear end even if it isn't strictly neccesary.

Trig Discipline posted:

I think that Youtube thinks my NC is a cell phone.

Well you're running a cell phone OS...

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I know I sound like a huge baby but I really wish Calibre would figure out an auto-update system if they're going to update their stupid loving program every week

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
How do I know which version of the Kindle Screensaver hack I should apply?

The wiki link in the OP says that I should check the serial number, but my kindle has no serial number in the place indicated in the photos.

I bought the international 3G version for Korea, if that's any help.

I spent the afternoon modifying pics into kindle wallpapers btw, so I'll upload a huge bunch of them for you guys later.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

How do I know which version of the Kindle Screensaver hack I should apply?

The wiki link in the OP says that I should check the serial number, but my kindle has no serial number in the place indicated in the photos.

I bought the international 3G version for Korea, if that's any help.

I spent the afternoon modifying pics into kindle wallpapers btw, so I'll upload a huge bunch of them for you guys later.

The Kindle 3's serial is in the settings menu somewhere. You might have to go to settings and then go to the menu again from there.

Guilty posted:

I know I sound like a huge baby but I really wish Calibre would figure out an auto-update system if they're going to update their stupid loving program every week
It's got to check the disk space bro

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Thanks, just letting anyone who's not done it yet that jailbreaking the Kindle is totally idiotproof and easy. Well worth doing it, just to get rid of those awful default images. Now my dog sometimes greets me when I turn it off! :D

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love my kindle. Just letting you guys know that the I believe the B&N ebook store is a cluttered, bloated mess. I could not navigate it whatsoever, Amazon is a lot more intuitive for all your online ebook stuff :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

t_bright posted:

I love my kindle. Just letting you guys know that the I believe the B&N ebook store is a cluttered, bloated mess. I could not navigate it whatsoever, Amazon is a lot more intuitive for all your online ebook stuff :v:

Totally. Like on Amazon you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. Whereas with B&N you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. What were they thinking?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Pfpt, who has time to hit search and type in something

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I got a Kindle 3 last month there - I wouldn't call it flimsy, dainty maybe, but I refused to take it out of the house until I got a cover for it. I have and would recommend both the Belkin Grip Sleeve and the Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve. The Timbuk2 sleeve feels a bit more secure but both do the job of keeping the Kindle a bit less susceptible to bullshit.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

Totally. Like on Amazon you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. Whereas with B&N you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. What were they thinking?
I almost never search for a book. Most of the time, I look through certain categories and read the reviews.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

I almost never search for a book. Most of the time, I look through certain categories and read the reviews.

Maybe that's why I don't care about the interface much - I pretty much always read reviews elsewhere and go to the BN store when I know exactly what I'm buying.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Meanwhile, go browse for something in each program and get back to everyone when you try to find the same quality of discovery in each program.

Amazon does it fairly well, B&N, not so much. Since both apps run on the NC just fine I'm gonna (unfortunately for B&N) probably opt to buy all my books on the Kindle store since hey, I trust Amazon to be around in 10 years and B&N not so much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, like I say I don't really ever shop that way so maybe I just haven't had a chance to notice the things about the interface that are bugging everyone else.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

Telex posted:

I trust Amazon to be around in 10 years and B&N not so much.

I don't think B&N is going out of business any time soon, nook is doing really well. Company wide there was a 9.7% comp over last holiday season and the 23rd was the biggest sales day ever in the history of the company. Revenue for the company is on track to be the highest since 2006. Some of that is because the price point is higher however customer count is up as well. B&N is doing a really good job changing with the times and recognizes that paper-books and music sales are only going to go down in the future. The company will post a loss for this fiscal year but they are saying it's less than initially expected and it's pretty much all a result of the massive restructuring of their stores which has been completed, so next year it's wide open.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I actually got the idea from googling waterproof Kindle cases a while back. It seems like a fairly common thing to do for an eReader, I'm just a little surprised at how well it works with the touch screen.

I got this one for my nook color:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3CJ2C/

Works great!

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

I still don't understand why that fat bitch is a spokesperson for anything. Bleh. I want her off my store pages.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BetaTested posted:

I still don't understand why that fat bitch is a spokesperson for anything. Bleh. I want her off my store pages.

I know...on top of that, it's been there forever. Very stale, B&N. We went fresh content.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Very seriously considering getting a kindle, although I read mostly history books (would like to start reading more fiction) and the price point/availability doesn't seem to be as good as it is for fiction. Still mulling over the 40 dollar extended warrenty amazon offers-is it worth it? keep in mind that I am pretty clumsy, but I don't know how duable the device is either.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Trig Discipline posted:

It seems like all of the Youtube videos I go to on my NC are displayed with ultra-lovely resolution, even those that have decent resolution when viewed on a PC. I think that Youtube thinks my NC is a cell phone. Do you know of a way to fix it by any chance?
The official Youtube app maxes out at 480p.

You want a tablet instead of just an e-reader? Come visit one of the tablet threads.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281154
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379915

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

FidgetyRat posted:

3) That color LCD touch thing at the bottom is annoying as hell. Much prefer the kindle's dpad and keyboard.

It's not that bad really. I liked the dpad+keyboard better too but decided to ask for a Nook for Christmas anyway for various reasons. Now that I've been using it for a couple weeks I've realized that the only part of the navigation that really matters is the paging buttons. When I'm reading something that's all I care about. Maybe it'd be annoying if I were looking for books on there, but I'd rather do that on a computer anyway.

FidgetyRat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do other people think about a *fair* price for eBooks.
And what about for ebook versions of college textbooks?

And some Nook questions!
1) Does anyone have any tips for getting the back cover off? I watched a video on youtube because I absolutely could not figure out where I was supposed to put a micro sd card, and I'm still failing at the cover.
2) I borrowed an ebook from the library, with overdrive, but I can't seem to get it to work on my Nook. It tells me to use Adobe Digital Editions, and I've supposedly authorized it and such. The book shows up in ADE, I can read it there, and when my Nook's connected the book shows up there too. It shows up on the device too, but when I try to get to it the screen says loading for a bit and then just sends me back to the list of books. What did I do wrong? I've been using Calibre a lot too, could it be messing with the file somehow? So far I'm not a fan of ADE since it seems to have no settings anywhere... options just has something to make a new bookshelf?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

denizen posted:

I don't think B&N is going out of business any time soon, nook is doing really well. Company wide there was a 9.7% comp over last holiday season and the 23rd was the biggest sales day ever in the history of the company.

Biggest Sales Day doesn't mean Most Profit Day. I have to imagine B&N is taking a loss on NookColor's there's almost no way they're making a profit on them if a similar thing is being sold by Samsung for double the price.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

quote:

1) Does anyone have any tips for getting the back cover off? I watched a video on youtube because I absolutely could not figure out where I was supposed to put a micro sd card, and I'm still failing at the cover.

Yeah the micro sd card thing is under the back cover. On the bottom edge of the nook there is a little tab sticking out. Hold the nook flat in front of you so the screen is facing down and the tab is on the end that is away from you. Put a finger around the tab from the top and pull up and back (towards you). I think thats the best i can do to describe it.

Interestingly the margin on the 3g nook is worse than the nook color, but none of it is very good so thats a fair point.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

This makes me pretty sad :

Click here for the full 940x501 image.

I mean, it's right there. How were there no results for it? And why are you listing me stuff that isn't an eBook?

As for fair pricing of eBooks, I think under :10bux: is reasonable. $5 being super ideal, but anything below $8 being pretty awesome. Then again I grew up buying paperbacks at $8 a pop, so paying that or less I think is totally fair for the convenience that an eBook offers.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

BetaTested posted:

I mean, it's right there. How were there no results for it? And why are you listing me stuff that isn't an eBook?

What's a streat?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Your spelling was wrong, they still found what you're looking for, and you're upset about this?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

The official Youtube app maxes out at 480p.

I'm not even getting 480p as an option, that's why I was asking.

Is there actually an official Youtube app for the NC yet?

e: Actually they either fixed the video problem in the last update or there was something wrong with the videos I was looking at before, it's fine now.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2011

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BetaTested posted:

That's total bullshit, I just looked up a couple books and they don't have War and Piece or The Holy Bibble either

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Don't I feel like a moron. That's what I get then. Carry on good folk.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do other people think about a *fair* price for eBooks. I have a hard time buying them when over $5.

In my opinion, as long as the e-book is less than or equal to the paperback version, that's fine. Actual ink and paper is a lot cheaper than you'd expect. Most of the price of a book is other stuff, so knocking everything down to $5-10 really puts the squeeze on publishers, especially small publishers. I know there's some talk about the end of publishers, but we aren't ready for that yet.

On the other hand, when you see poo poo like this: http://www.amazon.com/We-New-Edition-ebook/dp/B002CIY8QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1294611397&sr=1-3 It makes no loving sense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BrainParasite posted:

In my opinion, as long as the e-book is less than or equal to the paperback version, that's fine. Actual ink and paper is a lot cheaper than you'd expect. Most of the price of a book is other stuff, so knocking everything down to $5-10 really puts the squeeze on publishers, especially small publishers. I know there's some talk about the end of publishers, but we aren't ready for that yet.

Ink and paper is cheap, having to shell out for an initial print run of at least a few thousand books that may or may not get sold is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

fishmech posted:

Ink and paper is cheap, having to shell out for an initial print run of at least a few thousand books that may or may not get sold is not.

That's true, but I think that we can call that initial run part of the cost of making the book for now. Nobody's seriously going 100% digital, so I think the people who read e-books, in the short run and especially with small publishers, need to get used to paying a part of the ink and paper runs. The cost of a book already includes trying to pay for the losses on all the other books the company has published. I don't think the idea is that far out there.

But, to clarify, I'm ok with the cost of e-book being the same or slightly less than the cheapest equivalent edition in print. When the paperback comes out, the e-book prices should fall (I'm looking at you HarperCollins.)