Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Karandras posted:

Why all the Zendikar hate? I heard about Tom Martell's 49 game losing SoM streak and was discussing it on Twitter and he says that even SoM isn't as bad as Zendikar

Welp I kept a two land hand and didn't draw my third until turn 4, hope I have time for a new draft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Karandras posted:

Why all the Zendikar hate? I heard about Tom Martell's 49 game losing SoM streak and was discussing it on Twitter and he says that even SoM isn't as bad as Zendikar

oh my opponent went first and played a Plated Geopede T2 okay gg

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
I like ZZW v:shobon:v I think it's a much better draft format than SOM. It suffers from having a dominant archetype (r/b), but there are plenty of options.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ashenai posted:

oh my opponent went first and played a Plated Geopede T2 okay gg

disfigure/burst/a dozen other cards.

Zendikar was a format entirely about bears and blowouts, though.

I still prefer it to SOM, though, although I've played more/done better in SOM sealed at PTQs, I did a lot of zzw drafting.

ROE is the best format I've played since I got back into magic at Reborn, and I think ACR was the second best. If I was going to rank them, it would be ROE, ACR, then a step down to ZZW, M11, SOM, and then another step down to M10.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a question about draft conventions: do I get to keep the deck I built from the draft? How do the payouts work? From what I understand, everyone pays $12, you build a deck, and the shop pays 8 fresh, unopened packs to the winner and 4 to second place (or 4-3-2 payout, whatever). You get to keep your deck regardless if you win or not. That sounds super generous, do I have that right?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Sigma-X posted:

disfigure/burst/a dozen other cards.

Zendikar was a format entirely about bears and blowouts, though.

I still prefer it to SOM, though, although I've played more/done better in SOM sealed at PTQs, I did a lot of zzw drafting.

ROE is the best format I've played since I got back into magic at Reborn, and I think ACR was the second best. If I was going to rank them, it would be ROE, ACR, then a step down to ZZW, M11, SOM, and then another step down to M10.

SoM is about 5% more infect-ish or a 2/2 for 2 vector-asp away from being a decent format. ZZW was a wreckage and I hope you mulliganed aggressively to get those answer cards because otherwise you just lose, enjoy your coinflips! I'll just sit here being right and you'll be over there, being wrong. Since Lorwyn it goes:

ROE, ShaEven, LorMorn, SoM, ACR, M11, ZZW, M10

quote:

I have a question about draft conventions: do I get to keep the deck I built from the draft? How do the payouts work? From what I understand, everyone pays $12, you build a deck, and the shop pays 8 fresh, unopened packs to the winner and 4 to second place (or 4-3-2 payout, whatever). You get to keep your deck regardless if you win or not. That sounds super generous, do I have that right?

In order:

Keep your deck.
Payouts normally work by accumulated record with a SoS tiebreaker if you have a weird pod.
Depends on the shop how large the payouts are or how cheap the draft is.
3 opened packs, especially draft decks, aren't worth even $6 most of the time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

The 8-4/4-3-2-2/Swiss payouts people talk about are on MTGO. Different shops will do prizes differently - back when I first started playing we'd have 30 man FNM drafts and top 2 would have prizes (but it was a $4 per entrant prize pool split 3-1). The shop I play at now used to do rare re-drafts, and currently splits a prize pool among top 4, with each entrant putting a pack in.

Typically you keep your cards, unless you've got a place that does rare re-drafting at the end, in which case you won't keep your rares and sometimes foils based on how they do it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Gerund posted:

SoM is about 5% more infect-ish or a 2/2 for 2 vector-asp away from being a decent format.

If Besieged just gives us more infect creatures and better removal, then drafting this block will end up pretty fun. As it is, I feel as if once people got a decent handle on Scars, it became primarily about who opened better bombs. Rise had not only more archetype variety, but also less aggressively-costed deal-or-die cards (only Gideon and Drana come to mind), as well as legitimate good and bad matchups between draft decks. Cards like Thopter Foundry, Glissa, Hero of Bladehold, and the two knights make me think that the format'll be more of the same, though printing good removal for high-end threats will go a long way towards making the format more entertaining to play. As it is, it is almost impossible to deal with cards like Wurmcoil Engine, Elspeth, Skithiryx, Carnifex Demon, Hoard-Smelter Dragon, Quicksilver Gargantuan, Liege of the Tangle, etc. etc. while maintaining card parity (short of an Arrest), and that's... not fun.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

The best thing about Drana (:argh:) was taking someone by surprise with it in constructed. When I blocked his Colonnade with it, he got really confused, then let out a "Holy poo poo, Drana's a flyer!?"

He said he had no idea, cause when he'd see it in limited, someone would end up either immediately scooping or killing it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

tonight I played my first SoM draft in a month and the last one until Besieged, and I lucked into poisonnutz.dec after white and blue were overdrafted at the table.

Creatures (17):

1x Ichorclaw Myr

1x Fume Spitter
1x Plague Stinger
2x Ichor Rats
1x Hand of the Praetors (got this passed to me P3P2)
1x Blackcleave Goblin
1x Skinrender

4x Blight Mamba
2x Cystbearer
1x Tangle Angler
2x Acid Web Spider

Artifacts (3):

1x Accorder's Shield
1x Darksteel Axe
1x Trigon of Infestation

Spells (3):

3x Grasp of Darkness

Lands (17):

10x Swamp
7x Forest

Sideboard cards:

2x Wing Puncture
1x Ezuri's Archers
1x Tel-Jilad Defiance

I really enjoyed this deck because while it did occasionally blow someone out in 5 turns, it played better during wars of attrition, grinding card advantage and accumulating poison counters one-by-one via a number of different ways (Blight Mamba regeneration, Accorder's Shield, Tangle Angler, Trigon of Infestation), then winning off of an attack that pushes through two poison. While I was doing this, Acid Web Spider beat or blocked every non-rare creature that crossed the table. Closest match was when I almost got proliferated to death off a Contagion Engine by my own Ichor Rats, but Blackcleave Goblin pushed in for surprise lethal while I was at 9. During the draft I had the opportunity to take infect deck staples early in each pack (Untamed Might, Corpse Cur, etc.) but there was always a Grasp or a Spider to grab in the same one.

I went 4-0 and placed first out of fourteen. In a real-life sanctioned swiss event! I've been taking 'roids since the prerelease :smug:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hemorrhoids. from top 4'ing every event in my city since.

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001
So now that we have our own thread and everything, is there any interest in organizing a goon league?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Karandras posted:

The format is full of evasive 2-power creatures for 2 mana. Because of Landfall, other creatures are made to attack well and block not well. Cards like Adventuring Gear make attacking creatures larger than even the few defensive, evasion- stopping creatures that exist. A format in which stabilizing is nearly impossible is not a fun format.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They also totally hosed up the colour balance, more than any other set I've seen. The colours with the best removal were also the colours with the best creatures, and there was little reason to play the bad colours.

If Red was open, not only did you get Burst Lightning and Torch Slinger and Inferno Trap and Magma Rift and Punishing Fire and Spire Barrage, you also got Plated Geopede and Bladetusk Boar, and a bunch of other two drops that attacked for two. If Black was open, you got Hideous End and Disfigure and Feast of Blood and Gatekeeper of Malakir and Heartstabber Mosquito and Marsh Casualties, and also Surrakar Marauder and Vampire Hexmage and Vampire Nighthawk and Vampire Lacerator.

Blue had one good two-drop, Welkin Tern, and couldn't deal with opposing creatures at all.
White had fine creatures that could match black and red's, but the removal was Journey to Nowhere, Arrow Volley Trap, and Pitfall Trap. Both the traps are defensive, and if you were on defense in Zendikar, you were losing.

And, for some reason, they forgot to include Green in the design file or something :confused:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I apparently was in a slump.

Just got home from a draft splitting the finals (we played and he won) with a BR deck heavy on the Removal: 2 Blasts, Arc Trail, Turn to Slag, Scrapmelter, Shatter, Grasp of Darkness, and Carnifex Demon. When you get a Blast P2P7, you know Red is open.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just took 2nd at my local FNM with this here deck. http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=132790 There is a description of events there too. It was my first draft since the M10 grand-prix in Boston, so I'm pretty happy with 2nd. Although admittedly I did get pretty lucky at certain points, my opponent 2nd round might have had the better deck to be completely honest he just had some bad luck drawing. But hey, luck is a component of the game so as long as you take stock of that and don't think you definitely drafted and played perfectly I guess it is all good :).

I think I was really lacking in bombs, but I neither opened nor passed any bomb ever, so I couldn't do much there. If anyone has any general comments on the deck please let me know, I'm trying to get back into drafting before the next prerelease.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
e; eeeeee

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Chajusong posted:

They also totally hosed up the colour balance, more than any other set I've seen. The colours with the best removal were also the colours with the best creatures, and there was little reason to play the bad colours.

If Red was open, not only did you get Burst Lightning and Torch Slinger and Inferno Trap and Magma Rift and Punishing Fire and Spire Barrage, you also got Plated Geopede and Bladetusk Boar, and a bunch of other two drops that attacked for two. If Black was open, you got Hideous End and Disfigure and Feast of Blood and Gatekeeper of Malakir and Heartstabber Mosquito and Marsh Casualties, and also Surrakar Marauder and Vampire Hexmage and Vampire Nighthawk and Vampire Lacerator.

Blue had one good two-drop, Welkin Tern, and couldn't deal with opposing creatures at all.
White had fine creatures that could match black and red's, but the removal was Journey to Nowhere, Arrow Volley Trap, and Pitfall Trap. Both the traps are defensive, and if you were on defense in Zendikar, you were losing.

And, for some reason, they forgot to include Green in the design file or something :confused:

While black and red are stupidly dominant, you can still draft strong decks in the other colours. Blue has Kraken Hatchling, Whiplash Trap, Into the Roil, Sky Ruin Drake at common followed by strong uncommons like seastalkers and Tsunami. White has a heap of good small dudes backed by good removal, Arrow Volley at best is a total blowout. Green is pretty mixed though, without good rares like Terra Stomper or Strength of the Tajuru you aren't going far. I like it, I like swinging dudes, games are fast and tight, and (in comparison to SOM) bombs are more of a challenge than a death sentence.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the current topic of Zendikar, my LGS decided this FNM it was gonna be triple Zendikar draft! Boy, I had no idea what I was doing. I tried U/B control with a splash for a geopede (even though geopede hit the table early most of the time), but got face rolled pretty hard. I was kind of surprised at the power level of the average card though. Namely, being underpowered bunk. Felt good passing that Eternity Vessel though.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

inkblot posted:

On the current topic of Zendikar, my LGS decided this FNM it was gonna be triple Zendikar draft! Boy, I had no idea what I was doing. I tried U/B control with a splash for a geopede (even though geopede hit the table early most of the time), but got face rolled pretty hard. I was kind of surprised at the power level of the average card though. Namely, being underpowered bunk. Felt good passing that Eternity Vessel though.

Really? List what you felt like underpowered junk. Eternity Vessel is real daunting in ther right deck.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, maybe it was just that all the packs I saw didn't really play with one another. I saw lots of trap fetching and discard in blue, and almost no traps. The trap I did see was Ravenous Trap, which went really well with the 1 hedron crab that showed up out of 21 packs. The creatures were actually not too bad, but the packs we got seemed to be somewhat creature poor, as I only ever saw a couple per pack.

Looking at the set online, I think it isn't so much the fact that Zendikar has woefully underpowered stuff, but we got a really weird line up of pretty unimpressive packs for our draft.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zendikar is all about drafting bears. It's really dumb and the colors with the best removal also have the best bears (red and black).

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
For those of us that play online, any suggestions as to M11 vs SoM? I typically play 4-3-2-2's and have more luck in SoM as to opening game swinging bombs. But I feel like I often end up with nuts U/W decks in M11 only to lose to some random guy who opened a grave titan or other stuff.

Any opinion on which format you guys feel is the better one atm.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
^ I don't know, I really liked M11 a lot better. It's been said a thousand times, but part of the problem with SoM limited is that basically any color can play any bomb, because your deck is mostly artifacts anyway so whatever colors you're in is completely arbitrary. Top that off with the total randomness of infect (all in or bust) and lack of removal, and the whole format just feels like an inconsistent mess.

In M11 on the other hand, a Grave Titan is more likely to get money drafted in the second or third packs than it is to get played. Signaling is a lot more solid since half of your packs aren't colorless, and there are a variety of powerful archetypes, although UW is generally the best. M11 still has a bit of a bland feel to it being a core set and all, but I really liked the drafting a lot better. I maybe like SoM for sealed better, however.

The other thing I consider is the expected value of the cards you draft; I think it's really a wash between the two sets, although M11 may have a slight edge due to the Titans and the value of some of the rares. Basically, the mythics are the only things worth any real money in either set, and almost every rare in Scars is trash.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm playing ROE draft for the first time on Thursday, can anyone give me some tips?

I've only drafted once before and that was M11. I drafted UW fliers and came first without using any rares :D

So yeah key cards to look for, drafting archetypes etc.

Meanwhile i'm off to watch LSV's ROE drafts.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Surmy posted:

For those of us that play online, any suggestions as to M11 vs SoM? I typically play 4-3-2-2's and have more luck in SoM as to opening game swinging bombs. But I feel like I often end up with nuts U/W decks in M11 only to lose to some random guy who opened a grave titan or other stuff.

Any opinion on which format you guys feel is the better one atm.

I prefer SOM just because it's the current set, but both pale in comparison to ROE.

However, don't play 4-3-2-2. Just don't. Why are you playing a format with less prize payout?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

frameset posted:

I'm playing ROE draft for the first time on Thursday, can anyone give me some tips?

I've only drafted once before and that was M11. I drafted UW fliers and came first without using any rares :D

So yeah key cards to look for, drafting archetypes etc.

Meanwhile i'm off to watch LSV's ROE drafts.

This is the article that I've seen linked the most covering ROE archetypes: http://www.blackborder.com/q/node/7697. Reading it makes me swoon for that format. I got back into MtG after 8 years at the ROE release and drafting it was the most fun I've ever had.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I prefer SOM just because it's the current set, but both pale in comparison to ROE.

However, don't play 4-3-2-2. Just don't. Why are you playing a format with less prize payout?

This is a good argument against 4-3-2-2 in the long term, but also there is the short term argument that if you treat matches as Bernoulli trials, then for any given win percentage your expected payout is higher in one of 8-4 and Swiss.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pinwiz11 posted:

My skill-level is not up to par in 8-4 queues and in 4-3-2-2 winning one round will typically pay for my next draft.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Surmy posted:

My skill-level is not up to par in 8-4 queues and in 4-3-2-2 winning one round will typically pay for my next draft.

How does winning 2 packs pay for 3 packs and $2?

Are you usually opening $6 worth of rares to flip? Because that'd be amazing. And even then, you're still paying for half your drafts.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Most beginners don't play 8-4 because they have a lower chance of making it to the finals. 8-4 payouts are only higher than others if you have a 50% chance of winning -and- can buy in repeatedly without a guaranteed win.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TheGame posted:

Most beginners don't play 8-4 because they have a lower chance of making it to the finals. 8-4 payouts are only higher than others if you have a 50% chance of winning -and- can buy in repeatedly without a guaranteed win.

This is totally reasonable, which is why beginners should play Swiss v:shobon:v

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

4-3-2-2 is supporting throwing away money, and no one should play them until they're 5-3-2-2. :colbert:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Ah okay, I misunderstood the angle of the argument. Yeah, Swiss is a pretty good rookie thing.

I'm 18-0 in my last 3 Swiss drafts, partially because I've opened 2 Wurmcoils. If I keep this rate up I'll be in decent shape to enter Standard without putting my house up for sale!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Ashenai posted:

This is totally reasonable, which is why beginners should play Swiss v:shobon:v

The only argument you can make for 4-3-2-2 is that the competition is so bad your winning % is higher there than any other format.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
4322 rules, more packs for less effort. Also the players are never as bad as swiss, never play swiss.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

LCQC posted:

4322 rules, more packs for less effort. Also the players are never as bad as swiss, never play swiss.

The total payout of a 4-3-2-2 is obviously 11 packs. The total payout of a Swiss is 12 packs (Each player playing 3 games is 12 games in total [as each games has two players]).

So the average payout for Swiss is higher and really the only way 4322 would be better than it is if you routinely finish 1st/2nd and never below 4th in which case you should be aiming to play 8-4.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Decided to try an ME4 draft, lost in first round and got no sweet rares :(. Here's the draft, though the ME4 cards have no pictures yet, and here is the deck I ended up with:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Karandras posted:

Speaking of Tom Martell...

:ms:

He just sucks at drafting.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Trying out ME4 swiss because the pay out is good and I want original duels.

Blue seems to be the best color in this pool (maybe the whole format) and white compliments it with more fliers and a little bit of removal. Hopefully my mana doesn't get too tied up with the Serra Bestiary and the counter spells, but I think I can win through the air well enough (there are no spiders in the set for some reason).
The power level of the set is a big drop from the new ones and i'll let you know if seven mana four power dudes can win games or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Whyyyyyyyyyyy won't they do a product like this for real life so we can get staple cards for older formats without paying a hojillion dollars :(

In related news, JTMS is sitting around $100 average price.