Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

BrainParasite posted:

In my opinion, as long as the e-book is less than or equal to the paperback version, that's fine. Actual ink and paper is a lot cheaper than you'd expect. Most of the price of a book is other stuff, so knocking everything down to $5-10 really puts the squeeze on publishers, especially small publishers. I know there's some talk about the end of publishers, but we aren't ready for that yet.

On the other hand, when you see poo poo like this: http://www.amazon.com/We-New-Edition-ebook/dp/B002CIY8QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1294611397&sr=1-3 It makes no loving sense.

I recently read somewhere(The Economist maybe?) that publishers apply the same distribution/shelfspace/transportation costs to ebooks that they do analog books. That sounds so utterly insane it might be true.

I'll do a bit of digging and post the article if I find it.

edit: new page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Fuzzykinz posted:

I recently read somewhere(The Economist maybe?) that publishers apply the same distribution/shelfspace/transportation costs to ebooks that they do analog books. That sounds so utterly insane it might be true.

A few years ago I read that the record companies do the same thing for digital music sales, at least when it comes to calculating artist royalties. In the case of the record companies it's even more absurd because some of the deductions are for things like "breakage" of product during transportation which not only can't be a problem for digital files, but weren't a problem for CDs either (and before that hadn't even been a significant problem since the switch from brittle shellac to durable vinyl records in the 1950s). It seems the lesson is that large publishers of all kinds are soulless bloodsuckers motivated only by money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

A few years ago I read that the record companies do the same thing for digital music sales, at least when it comes to calculating artist royalties. In the case of the record companies it's even more absurd because some of the deductions are for things like "breakage" of product during transportation which not only can't be a problem for digital files, but weren't a problem for CDs either (and before that hadn't even been a significant problem since the switch from brittle shellac to durable vinyl records in the 1950s). It seems the lesson is that large publishers of all kinds are soulless bloodsuckers motivated only by money.

Welcome to media, the big guys gently caress the little guys. I can dig up some stuff, but I do remember reading a lot of articles on how ridiculously slim some publisher margins are, so comparing that to selling a CD for $18 and then cutting xxx for marketing, xxx for breakage and oh you get 10% of 90% plus its new media so you only get 50% of that 90% (seriously), I may be a little naive but I keep telling myself no industry can be a lovely as the music industry (I include the movie industry with music).

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Well if it helps, I think most people put 10 bucks as the breaking point between too expensive, and cheap enough to buy. I certainly do. 5 bucks is my 'buy without thinking' price. 10 is my 'do I really want/have the time/need this?' price for each paperback in general. I can sometimes get away with impulse buying 10

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Iron Squid posted:

Thinking about moving from my Kindle 3G to a Nook Color. How is the screen for watching movies on the Nook? Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

I wish I had some sources, but I read an article a while back stating that the goal of the kindle is to remain first and foremost an eReader. All the "color" devices seem to try to compete with an iPad more then anything, so unless color eInk releases in the near future (which I highly doubt) I don't think we'll be seeing a color kindle anytime soon.

Fuzzykinz posted:

There's also that lovely "devaluing of paper media" surcharge.

I still think ebooks will come down further, once publishers start realizing the paper media is starting to dwindle.

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007
Just bought myself a Sony PRS-350 pocket reader. I see that some of you are using Calibre with your readers. is there any advantage in using Calibre instead of the bundled software? Or do you use both?

Edit: Thanks.

Chuck N. Awe fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 11, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You have to use the sony software if you buy books from the sony ebookstore.

However, Calibre runs a lot smoother, and a lot better than the sony software for managing your books and collections.

I would strongly suggest using calibre as well as the sony reader library.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Strangelet Wave posted:

If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

I know it was a few pages ago, but I have to thank you for this. I installed the screensaver hack and these Dore engravings just make the kindle so much classier.

I cannot fathom why Amazon doesn't let users just change the screensavers with no hack. I mean, it beats Agatha Cristie's dead eye stare.

Subgenius
Nov 13, 2002

If you act like a dumbshit, they'll treat you as an equal.

Snuffman posted:

I mean, it beats Agatha Cristie's dead eye stare.

Agatha Cristie also motivated me to install the screensaver hack. Those wood cuts are way cool. Thanks to Strangelet Wave for sharing them.

I made a few Ansel Adams images for my mom's kindle, some of which turned out really nice. I've been meaning to post them at some point, but I haven't quite gotten around to it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Snuffman posted:

I cannot fathom why Amazon doesn't let users just change the screensavers with no hack.

I just wish it would use the cover of whatever I'm reading at the time.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

LooseChanj posted:

Pffttt. You know Amazon hates covers.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

LooseChanj posted:

I would seriously have paid an extra $50 for an automatic version of this feature on my Kindle.

Well, maybe not $50.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

James Bong posted:

I would seriously have paid an extra $50 for an automatic version of this feature on my Kindle.

Well, maybe not $50.

Most of the ebooks I've seen have really boring covers. Even the ones that have interesting covers in the paper versions, the ebook ones are different and boring.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Is there any kind of resource for finding cheap fiction on Amazon? I look through the Science Fiction and Fantasy sections (My main haunts in literature, but I'm certainly not restricting myself to them) on Amazon.co.uk, and all of the cheap fiction seems terrible.

How should I go about finding good recommendations for cheaper books?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
What is the best case for the Kindle 3?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

thedouche posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ165W

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

thedouche posted:

I like this one, although they are big on terrible colors. I want to something to protect my kindle though while it's not in use, I prefer holding just the kindle while reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Quilted-Envelope-Display-Generation/dp/B003U4VIWW/

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

I have one of these, and it's great. I like the way it clips on to the kindle to both hold it and draw power for the retractable light. I do find the elastic thingy that keeps it all closed a bit annoying though. For £50 I think they should have thought of something a bit better than that.

Some of these look good:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle3.php

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

thedouche posted:

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but someone in either this thread or the TBB eReader thread suggested a 6' by 9' padded mailing envelope. I picked one up for 60 cents and it's getting the job done while I figure out if I'm going to buy or make my own case. It's great if you're looking for a cheap and easy way to keep your Kindle protected when you toss it in your backpack or something.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

thedouche posted:

I don't know what your price range is... but I've been incredibly happy with my Oberon products in the past.

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
With my Nook Color, I have a bunch of images in different folders. When I play them on Slideshow, the Nook plays all the images and not just the ones in my current folder. Is this "Just The Way It Is" or can I change this somehow?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fuzzykinz posted:

I don't know what your price range is... but I've been incredibly happy with my Oberon products in the past.

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php

Me, too. I've been recommending them to anybody who's asked me about cases.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Me, too. I've been recommending them to anybody who's asked me about cases.

I wish they would just make one without some tacky design on it. Just blank would be great.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Lester Shy posted:

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but someone in either this thread or the TBB eReader thread suggested a 6' by 9' padded mailing envelope. I picked one up for 60 cents and it's getting the job done while I figure out if I'm going to buy or make my own case. It's great if you're looking for a cheap and easy way to keep your Kindle protected when you toss it in your backpack or something.

I saw this suggestion in some Engadget article, and I'll probably end up going with it. I guess I can't justify buying a case that costs almost 1/2 as much as the device.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

thedouche posted:

I saw this suggestion in some Engadget article, and I'll probably end up going with it. I guess I can't justify buying a case that costs almost 1/2 as much as the device.

Also I guess it is less likely to get stolen, since it just looks like someone's mail? v:shobon:v

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
There's a thread in Coupons showing an Amazon deal for a Nook leather case plus a bunch of cords and accessories for $4, which comes to $7 after shipping.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380769

For $7, it probably sucks, but the cables themselves are probably around $7.

teraflame posted:

I wish they would just make one without some tacky design on it. Just blank would be great.

I think they have some awesome designs, but I'm sure they'll make you a blank one if you email them.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

thedouche posted:

I got this one. It's a nice sleeve, although a bit pricey. It has a nice fuzzy material inside. I also uploaded pictures of it under the user pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Kindle-Sleeve-Display-Generation/dp/B003NE5UWI/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

You can always buy a pattern and make your own if you or someone you know can sew.

I bought the pattern above and my friend is going to make one for me, it seems to have different dimensions for all the popular readers, so you don't end up with a "one size fits all" situation where it doesn't fit well.

Priz
Mar 1, 2003
Considered picking up a Nook Color so I went down to B&N to play with one. The interface seemed a bit... sluggish. Reading text wasn't so bad, but just the overall experience didn't seem smooth.

I have used an iPad in the past so maybe I was spoiled on that, but does rooting it and adding stuff help speed it up? I'm on the fence right now, so before pulling the trigger I figured I'd come on and ask for other opinions/suggestions.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Priz posted:

Considered picking up a Nook Color so I went down to B&N to play with one. The interface seemed a bit... sluggish. Reading text wasn't so bad, but just the overall experience didn't seem smooth.

I have used an iPad in the past so maybe I was spoiled on that, but does rooting it and adding stuff help speed it up? I'm on the fence right now, so before pulling the trigger I figured I'd come on and ask for other opinions/suggestions.

I feel that the stock software is slow on its own. I'm using a third party launcher and have no speed issues whatsoever.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Welp, if anyone cares, the web browser on the 3G of the kindle 3 doesn't work in Germany and I assume most of Europe if you have an American version. I can still use the amazon store fine.

Also, gave a 2 hour presentation on intertextuality using T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land as a source and did it using the Kindle. My God is this thing loving awesome....

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Priz posted:

Yes absolutely. The truth is you cannot judge any android tablet right now based on what they come with in store, especially if the come with some custom interface you have to root/flash to get rid of. The G-Tablet for example is much faster than an iPad hardware-wise but the stock Tap-n-Tap interface makes it appear slower than Windows Vista with 256MB of RAM.

Even the stock Android launcher/homescreen/shell is slower than Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher since it doesn't use hardware acceleration.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
I have very minimal iPad usage and stuff but here's my 3rd day mini-review on my Nook Color.

I won't lie, I used this thing for an hour, tops, before rooting it. Was it bad non-rooted? Not in the least, but my (fellow goon) friend and I bought them that evening purely for the purpose of making them p. cool (and cheap) Android tablets. Now having it rooted, I'm -loving- it.

The Android interface with a good launcher program is speedy like whoa and awesome. Games run very well (Well, Angry Birds is all I've put time in to, heh.) Video watching is awesome (Used it on the treadmill while working out this evening. Though, having to convert is a bit annoying.) and the book reading it very well done. I still use the stock book reader and I've enjoyed it more than anything I've grabbed from the Marketplace. The stand-out surprise is how well comics look. I really would like to get in to reading comics now purely because of this device.

Seriously, as an eReader this thing is awesome and if you're set on getting an Android tablet, until Honeycomb comes out, there's no point in getting anything more expensive when this will do everything you desire.

Since I like to talk to people before buying a new toy, if you have any questions about this thing, get me on AIM at the screen name 'UtterDissonance' and I'll do my best to help you out.

e: Fixed a couple grammatical errors.

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

m0isty posted:

Some of these look good:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle3.php

I pray for the day someone makes a Necronomicon version from The Evil Dead.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of screensaver images, what is the built-in one that is a floorplan of a building?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I pray for the day someone makes a Necronomicon version from The Evil Dead.

I almost couldn't buy a case that costs half as much as the e-reader itself. The potential for a sweet Necronomicon cover is the reason "almost" is in the previous sentence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smackfu posted:

Speaking of screensaver images, what is the built-in one that is a floorplan of a building?

Well it looks like some Roman or Italian house, I really don't know if it's supposed to be anywhere special.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

Well it looks like some Roman or Italian house, I really don't know if it's supposed to be anywhere special.
All the other ones are literary themed, so I figure it is a library or something, maybe.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

smackfu posted:

Man, nobody recognizes Monticello? That's the house Thomas Jefferson designed for himself. It's pretty famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah what kind of chump doesn't recognize the floorplan of Monticello.