Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SheepNameKiller posted:

I hadn't noticed this before but Ahztek's overhaul has been ported to New Vegas:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37342

It's been ported over, but it vanished for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

And it hasn't been updated since it came out. Cool.

Have fun with 3x run speed and downright retarded replacement choices if you go with that mod.

Speaking of weapon mods, what should I look for in terms of a mod that makes energy weapons worthwhile? I want to do a Legion run with the skull face from tailor made and a gatling laser :q:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

And I've got great stability with that load order. However the amount blood splattered on the screen during combat is ridiculous. After being shot twice, I cannot see anything at all. I know that the console command 'CSB' will clear it off, but during a firefight it just comes right back. Is there anything I can do to disable or severely curtail the amount of blood splattered on the screen?

To contribute a mod, I think that the bullet time mod is worth adding to the OP. It integrates with 'more perks.esm' nicely.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35823
You may want to change the visual effect to 'none' or 'tunnel vision' in the bullet time config tool, as some of the effects stack badly with other mods that change lighting.

EDIT: I'll just add that if you haven't tried it yet, the 'Underground Hideout' is the cat's pyjamas.

Glad you find the OP useful. The blood-spattering effect is most certainly coming from XFO...I'm not sure which plugin, though. I just know that when I started using it, getting wounded would often cause copious amounts of blood to cover the screen and make fighting--especially at night--difficult. Maybe the gore effects plugin?

I've gotten a few requests to put a bullet-time mod in the OP, so I'll update it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

potaties posted:

Does anyone have a mirror for the Reload mod? Seems to be under some sort of trouble over at the Nexus.

Also, I just have to say that Two Bears High Fiving is the best mod I've ever seen.

Check out this page. I'm not certain it is the current version, but maybe it is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I think that's what it is: I get a strong Deus Ex vibe from it. Coincidentally, I am a big Deus Ex fan too...but for whatever reason this is one peanut butter I don't want with my chocolate.

What? This somehow slipped by me. Thank you. Updated.

I'll have to plug this other music mod from Fallout 3 which I think fits in real well with the rest of the soundtrack - Earthquake. Lots of western-esque guitar twang and poo poo. Just don't use the battle music, its some kind of industrial poo poo that isn't nearly as good as the explore/public musics.

Yeah, it's a Fallout 3 mod, but it works just fine for New Vegas.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

Capn Beeb posted:

And it hasn't been updated since it came out. Cool.

Have fun with 3x run speed and downright retarded replacement choices if you go with that mod.

Speaking of weapon mods, what should I look for in terms of a mod that makes energy weapons worthwhile? I want to do a Legion run with the skull face from tailor made and a gatling laser :q:

Well, there was an Energy Weapons DeNerf mod that popped up some time ago, that might help close the gap a little bit.

Frankly, though, what I'd love to see would be some shotgun-like energy weapons - a plasma shotgun and an electric shotgun, as it were. The plasma shotgun would probably be something like a plasma rifle, except the orb is split into multiple smaller orbs when fired...as for the electric shotgun, well, who wouldn't want to go shooting huge short-range blasts of lighting? And maybe include a mod for the lighting shotgun that acts like a recharger lightning rod - as you fire the gun, some of the electricity hits the lightning rod cowling and recharges the gun slightly, in practical game terms working a bit like the Laser RCW Recycler weapon mod.

I should dig up some tutorials on making Fallout: New Vegas guns, although Arenovalis' gun texturing tutorial ought to be a HUGE help in that department. What I'd need to know would be things like poly limits, what needs to be done for assembling, etc. Might want to first export an existing shotgun from the game and deconstruct it, as it were, figure out what was done and what not.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

After playing around with the Sunny Smiles companion some more, I'm pretty impressed with how convincing the author made her. He did a really good job splicing dialogue into unobtrusive new lines, and it's only when I realize that she doesn't have any contextual dialogue that I remember she's a modded companion.

On that thought...we need a No-Bark Noonan companion. Think about it: He has a decent amount of dialogue to work with. He's paranoid and imaginative, so convincing him to leave Novac could be easy enough to rationalize--especially if you help get rid of the "Commie Ghosts" at the Repconn facility or the Machinegun Chupacabra. And since he's insane, he could very well be a decent Pro-legion party member. I imagine him starting with rags and Sticky (his ornery stickin' knife), and all of his dialogue could be a jumble of insane phrases that don't need to make sense to work.

Plus he could say, "If anyone asks: We never spoke" every time you end dialogue with him.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 12, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Well, there was an Energy Weapons DeNerf mod that popped up some time ago, that might help close the gap a little bit.

Actually, the latest patch buffed energy weapons pretty significantly thanks to JE Sawyer and co at Obsidian. I think the last time Energy Weapons Denerfed was updated was before the most recent patch, so take that as you will.

So a few more awesome little known mods and tweaks I have found in the shitpile that is the Nexus:

- Human Body and Face - New normals - this makes the default bodies and skins look updated/detailed without making nude poo poo or adding any high res textures at all.

- Reinforce Armor - this mod is one of those small ones that I really wish wouldn't get buried beneath all of the poo poo on the Nexus. You basically get to take armors and reinforce them with Scrap Metal and so on to create reinforced versions of said armor. For instance, Scrap metal + wonderglue + Metal armor = Metal Armor, Reinforced.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Chronojam posted:

Failing up, I see! If simply leaving task manager open and ready to go is too passé, or you feel the suggestion is too demeaning for your professional sensibilities, here's a non-spoiler walkthrough with hints.

1. Open task manager. If you have used a computer in the past decade or two you should have experience here. Hint: Ctrl-alt-del is a good start
2. Once you have it, put your education and experience to work! Select the "processes" tab. Hint: Tab and Shift Tab cycle through contextual "hot spots." Left and right is often used to then select options.
3. Select the "falloutnv" process. Hint: typing an entry into a selection area generally begins partial matches, so typing "SA" into a filename listing will jump to the first file that begins with "SA" if there is one
4. Use "end process" next, it's pretty straightforward. Hint: "Alt" is used in conjunction with accelerator keys to skip through lengthy menu chains; a modern Windows installation often underlines the letter you need
5. You have to pass the dreaded confirmation dialog. This can be tricky if you upgraded from a decade old Windows XP installation due to a slight UI change! Hint: Windows 7 removes the yes/no accelerator keys from the "end process" confirmation dialog! However, "Spacebar" or "Enter" are akin to pushing a button. Think hard about the default button selection!

Well I guess I'll try to ask one more time.

Ctrl-shift-escape works just fine too, and I do leave it open. If it's a black screen crash on full screen it wont show the task switch or show anything but the full screen. Windows-D, alt-tab, ctrl-shift-esc, Windows key do nothing however sometimes if I pre-order processes by memory usage and I can at least see the default cursor where taskmgr is on the window I can blindly press up and alt-e, space and pray it's FalloutNV.exe.

If I put the laptop into standby and come back, it will bring up the taskbar and then allow me to alt-tab to task manager.

But if it's a loading screen crash then there is no solution whatsoever, standby/come back trick doesn't work and it stays fullscreen with no ability to shift out.

If you would like to help that would be great. If you would like to spit out $8/hr tech support lines that's fine too, I am definitely enjoying your wacky riffs. Hint: use spoilers and "Hint:" for extra laughs.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 12, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gyshall posted:

- Human Body and Face - New normals - this makes the default bodies and skins look updated/detailed without making nude poo poo or adding any high res textures at all.

Does this work with Fallout New Vegas Redesigned? I assume not but might as well check.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Demerzel posted:

:words:

Exactly how often do you have these load screens that hang up and cannot be recovered? You mention you're playing on a laptop.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Frankly, though, what I'd love to see would be some shotgun-like energy weapons - a plasma shotgun and an electric shotgun, as it were. The plasma shotgun would probably be something like a plasma rifle, except the orb is split into multiple smaller orbs when fired...
There already is a weapon similar to that - the Multiplas Rifle. It's kinda rare, though.

Gyshall posted:

Actually, the latest patch buffed energy weapons pretty significantly thanks to JE Sawyer and co at Obsidian.
Yeah, Energy Weapons are pretty good now, especially with Overcharge/Max Charge ammo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

There already is a weapon similar to that - the Multiplas Rifle. It's kinda rare, though.

You can murder the van graffs and get one. Or buy one there maybe.

Are there any mods for sniper laser/plasma rifles?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What, the Gauss Rifle isn't good enough for you?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

What, the Gauss Rifle isn't good enough for you?

I've never found it :smith:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Workin' on one. Crappy textures though :shobon:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

You can find a unique version - the YCS/186 - tucked away up in the northwest corner of the map. And yes, the name is a reference to the Your Console Sucks forum.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Bring some good armor and a strong weapon, and go north from Horowitz Farmstead. One mini-looting spree later will put the unique Gauss Rifle, the YCS/186, in your possession.

You can also buy a standard Gauss Rifle occasionally at the Silver Rush, or in the BoS bunker.

Lastly, there’s a shack in the mountains to the immediate west of New Vegas, north of the Fiend-controlled area, that has a very low condition Gauss Rifle inside.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 12, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Adding onto what those two said, you won't find it if you have the Wild Wasteland Trait...you'll find aliens instead. :ssh:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

There's also the Tri-beam laser, which The Brotherhood of Steel is just dripping with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

And let us not forget the finest shotgun-style laser gun of all: A laser rifle with a beam splitter mod.

:jerkbag:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

So far so good! Next stop: Secure a large energy weapon. Also do I help the Powder Gangers take over Goodsprings or just kill everyone not Legion :unsmigghh:

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Exactly how often do you have these load screens that hang up and cannot be recovered? You mention you're playing on a laptop.
The load screen hangup thankfully is much less often than my black screen problem, standby and back is not an elegant solution but it does work. 10-20 minutes per black screen hangup was not a hyperbole, I actually stopped playing that game just because it was getting so crazily annoying. I cut it down to maybe once an hour by cutting out all mods that I didn't view as essential:

Lucky 38 Suite Respawn Fix.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera - Unraised.esp
BetterLuckySuite.esp
CompanionInfAmmoOptional.esp
Light Step ED-E.esp
Max Followers 12.esp
PipBoyLightx2.esp

It has helped a lot but something is still causing AI to hang. I can tell I'm hosed as soon as I walk past someone and no sound, or start talking to them and the subtitles come up with no audio.

At that point I can guarantee that no matter what I do I am screwed, even trying to open console blows it up. This is all I have left, though:

AWorldOfPain(Preview) - thought maybe this was it, made no difference (absolutely awesome mod btw)
CompanionInfAmmo.esm - all it does is extend Magical Companion Ammo for all weapons.
New Vegas Redesigned/Lore.esp - tried killing this too but no difference.
IIWR 2.1.0 - Invisible Wall Remover
PerkEveryLevel.esp
Better Tag Skills.esp
CompanionDe-Equip.esp - marks companion armor/weapons as playable so you can take them out, that's it.
UnlimitedCompanions.esp
Fellout.esp

The only one that MIGHT cause this imo is UnlimitedCompanions but I don't know how, it's bizarre.

I thought maybe it was just residual savegame crap on the other but I had it just happen in a new game too. Audio cue that AI is still churning (at least that's my guess), if you try to pip/menu/console/quicksave, it will hard crash right then, if you try to leave the area it will crash on autosave attempt. New game also has no companions so I am stumped.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

demerzel posted:

Looking at those mods, I'm inclined to think the problem is being caused by hardware and not the game. It seems like faulty RAM or insufficient power (or insufficient power settings--anything less than Full Power) are a potential culprit. By cutting down the number of mods and pushing back the frequency of these hang-ups, you might actually just be slowing down the rate at which the game hits its RAM overhead and goes tits-up...or something with the Hard Drive. I'm curious if you would eventually experience the same problems with a completely unmodded game. On the software side of things, maybe something has corrupted in your install. Have you used Steam to verify the integrity of your game? Or wiping the game and performing a fresh install?

That level of instability isn't really symptomatic of any mods I know of, and if it was, you'd better believe the modding community would know about it (sort of like "Pluggy" from Oblivion.)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 13, 2011

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Looking at those mods, I'm inclined to think the problem is being caused by hardware and not the game. It seems like faulty RAM or insufficient power...
I played through the only time I finished the game (and the times before that) completely vanilla, no issues whatsoever outside of jerky mouse etc that I fixed through the ini.

If I hadn't I would be thinking the same thing, honestly.

Not that I am thinking you are responsible at all for helping me but if you can look at any of them esp Infinite Companions and see if there's anything that modifies AI that would be awesome. I cracked open the GECK but have no idea what I'm looking at/for and the time to learn if I could even see anything would be substantial.

Or if you know a utility besides BOSS/FNVEdit that might detect conflicts that would be good too!

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 13, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Demerzel posted:

Well I guess I'll try to ask one more time.

Ctrl-shift-escape works just fine too, and I do leave it open. If it's a black screen crash on full screen it wont show the task switch or show anything but the full screen. Windows-D, alt-tab, ctrl-shift-esc, Windows key do nothing however sometimes if I pre-order processes by memory usage and I can at least see the default cursor where taskmgr is on the window I can blindly press up and alt-e, space and pray it's FalloutNV.exe.

If I put the laptop into standby and come back, it will bring up the taskbar and then allow me to alt-tab to task manager.

But if it's a loading screen crash then there is no solution whatsoever, standby/come back trick doesn't work and it stays fullscreen with no ability to shift out.

If you would like to help that would be great. If you would like to spit out $8/hr tech support lines that's fine too, I am definitely enjoying your wacky riffs. Hint: use spoilers and "Hint:" for extra laughs.

Did you at least try what I said at least in the order I said it? It's not that terrifying. That's how I recover from black screen crashes that refuse to grant focus to anything else and ignore most other input. The engine crashes, and if you are full screen, this kind of poo poo just sorta happens. The game is fun enough and the process simple enough that I've just written it off as part of the experience.

Once you have Task Manager, in order:
Shift-Tab
Left
Left
Left
Right
Tab
Fallout
Alt-E
Spacebar

The l/l/l/r is only because I've seen Task Manager arbitrarily open to different pages on different machine configurations. It's optional but better than getting lost. By the way, I liked your tip about spoilers, and you seem to have taken it to heart; but how did you get it to automatically show up for every post you make like that?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Capn Beeb posted:

So far so good! Next stop: Secure a large energy weapon. Also do I help the Powder Gangers take over Goodsprings or just kill everyone not Legion :unsmigghh:

That's easily one of the most evil/demonic looking things I've seen and it is awesome.

KaiserPanda
Jan 24, 2008

SheepNameKiller posted:

The same guy who makes this also reimplements a lot of other poo poo from FO3 back into the crafting environment:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=2152853

Yes! Thank you. Ah I missed the railway rifle.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Amstrad posted:

That's easily one of the most evil/demonic looking things I've seen and it is awesome.

I decided I should be a touch bigger than most NPCs.

:black101: Hey buddy!

:ohdear: ohgoddon'tcomecloserpleasewhatareyou

:black101: Where can I find the Mojave Express office?

After soiling himself, the NCR guy managed to point me in the right direction.

Bonus:

Why didn't I do a melee run sooner? :3:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

(some scary grim reaper poo poo)

Oh yeah?

Behold, my character: The Technocrat. He sucks with a gun, but it's okay because there's nothing you can't solve with some passive-aggressive words and mentats. He bought his clothes, fair-and-square, and always stays away from the booze. So you might have some cool, giant axe-murderer, but I've got democracy, man. Democracy.

Tell me about it. The picture's title is even better.
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 13, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Capn Beeb posted:

The helmet and expression makes that guy look derpy as hell.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

There's the CCCP Sniper Gauss. Haven't used it personally because I haven't done an energy weapons run yet, but it looks pretty nice. Sort of a weird amalgam of the sniper rifle, Gauss rifle, and 12.7mm SMG.

EDIT: Another one, this is a Gauss replacer: Gauss and EM Rifles. Barrel appears to be ripped from STALKER, I think the handle and stock are from one of the Gauss weapons in the Classic Fallout Weapons pack.

AND ANOTHER: Gauss Sniper. Basically a Gauss barrel sandwiched between the two ends of a sniper rifle. A little rough and modder's resource only at the moment, though.

Horns fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 13, 2011

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh my god

You made all of that in tailor maid?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I want to tell yes man to kill the omertas. I've killed big sal and it's now showing up as an option in my yes man quest, but not in the dialog options. what's up?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I went back to playing Fallout 3 recently and I was actually kind of awestruck by how much better the ambience was at night, something about Fellout, winter weather and wasteland lighting created a uniquely desolate world that I actually kind of missed when I went back to New Vegas.

Click here for the full 1536x960 image.

Click here for the full 1536x960 image.

However, I knew that the exact same effect didn't work as well in New Vegas. Fellout alone didn't really make days feel like you were in the desert, and nights in Vegas were drowned out by its light filters. Emittance got Fellout one step closer by making the nights very similar to what I wanted, but the tradeoff was that the days were still too dreary.

It took endless amounts of tweaking but I finally got the night effect I wanted, URWL + an independent darker nights mod with nevada skies weather and emittance all toggled at the same time. I had to move the load order a bit from what the mod authors typically recommend but I managed to get everything to look fantastic without the need for any additional compatibility patches. The days from URWL are untouched, so I still have the daytime effect I prefer as well.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 13, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominoes posted:

I want to tell yes man to kill the omertas. I've killed big sal and it's now showing up as an option in my yes man quest, but not in the dialog options. what's up?

Wrong thread :ssh:

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

I swear I saw this in the megathread but I can't find it again, how do you force non-hostile either individually or universally in console?

I'm friendly to Great Khans and they even offer to share a whiskey with me annoyingly often, but for some reason when Jessup showed up in Red Rock he and his crew were hostile. I'm guessing it's because I killed the NCR hostages since I remember doing that while they were there and they opened fire on me for some reason.

However apparently they still remember it or it's a script, I've tried resurrect, setally, stopcombat and nothing is working, I thought it was like setaggression 0 but that doesn't work either.

I'm actually Liked by Khans and already allied but when they go nuts on me the whole canyon cascades.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 13, 2011

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

SheepNameKiller posted:

sweet lighting
That actually looks pretty great, better than what I've managed to get to. What combination of mods/load order are you using?

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

That lighting does look nice, Fellout is great when there's no source of lighting around, and when it's sparse.

Where it sucks is large open areas where a light is 50 feet away and 10 feet away and it's pitch black where you're standing and you can't see the light 50 feet away and only barely 10 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hellbunny posted:

You made all of that in tailor maid?

TM Black.