Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Man PS3 mice can suck it, I can't believe how nice it is playing MAG with the Move. More FPS games need Move support because that poo poo owns hard. I can actually snipe in PS3 games now!

Which is basically all I do in MAG, well that and get killed repeatedly

Is there any indication that older FPS games will be patched for Move support (if that's even possible)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Geohot's being sued by sony for being a Very Bad Person :byodood:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Code Jockey posted:

Man PS3 mice can suck it, I can't believe how nice it is playing MAG with the Move. More FPS games need Move support because that poo poo owns hard. I can actually snipe in PS3 games now!

Which is basically all I do in MAG, well that and get killed repeatedly

How is the mag community? Are they assholes, normal or great? Is it dying?

Finally, is it a great game?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm trying to backup all my data onto an external HDD using the backup utility and it always gives me an error code 80010038 always around 56% saying the backup operation could not be completed. Googling gets me answers like copy-protected content which prevents it from completion which I've deleted anyway. So what gives?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

redreader posted:

How is the mag community? Are they assholes, normal or great? Is it dying?

Finally, is it a great game?

Big. Normal. No.

Yes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fuzz posted:

Big. Normal. No.

Yes.

Came to post this. :D I have no problem joining big games, everyone seems cool, and even wearing my headset I've yet to encounter any armchair generals or dickbag types.

MAG has been a lot of fun so far. I've put a few hours in now, and I am happy that I am not totally outskilled - it seems to pair me up properly with people at my level, so I stand a fighting chance. I still get worked, but I take some of the bastards down with me. :clint:

The controls are good, though the Move feels a little... laggy? I think I just need to level up my guy so he responds quicker. I know sniping acts funny if you're not properly skilled in it [the reticle wanders, etc]

So far so good and I really like it. It and GT5 are fighting for my attention right now, and it's been tough to stop playing one for the other.

Now someone tell me BC2 is getting / has Move support. That'd be the bee's knees [and it'd actually make me unwrap it already]

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
yay. I'll have Mag on friday hopefully (according to Amazon).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

flyboi posted:

Geohot's being sued by sony for being a Very Bad Person :byodood:
As are the failoverflow guys (I don't know the leetspeek spelling).

On the surface, it appears to just be your standard C&D, but they're also looking to recoup attorney's fees, which could potentially ruin some of these guys.

I can't say I blame Sony, because no one wants their console to be a pirate's paradise. But they're going to have to go after the 'scene' sites as well if they actually want to quell this. Having nerds pass secrets on IRC is one thing, but when everyone knows which website to go to to follow step-by-step instructions for how to pirate games, it's a bad thing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Is there a way to make subfolders?

I have sorted things by album name, and have one folder for movies, and one for tv. However, within these folders, there is just a big list, I want to sort them into respective folders/shows. From what google says, I cant do this. For a 'media center' this is a little bit of an oversight isnt it?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

henpod posted:

Is there a way to make subfolders?

I have sorted things by album name, and have one folder for movies, and one for tv. However, within these folders, there is just a big list, I want to sort them into respective folders/shows. From what google says, I cant do this. For a 'media center' this is a little bit of an oversight isnt it?

Can't do it. Most people store their media on a PC in folders and stream it with a media sharing thingie where it retains the folder structure. Well, that's what I do.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Motherfucker. I just had my second PS3 Yellow Light of Death on me. Maybe there's some clause on "we'll fix our shoddy product for free the second time this happens", but I doubt it.

I really wanted to finish Bayonetta too :(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bear is driving! posted:

Here's a silly question - Why should I go through the trouble of building this when they make XFPS Pro devices for PS3 now?

Edit: Doesn't really matter I guess. I just ordered an Eagle Eye adapter.

I would love to hear a mini-review once you've gotten it and sent some time playing with it if you don't mind.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Getting ready to ship my YLOD PS3 out.

I was just wondering. Are these refurb units ones that have the YLOD problem fixed? Or ticking time bombs?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

For about a week now, PSN keeps giving me the 80023102 error when trying to buy stuff or add funds. It's happening with both my credit cards, which worked fine up until last week.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Insane Totoro posted:

I was just wondering. Are these refurb units ones that have the YLOD problem fixed? Or ticking time bombs?

There is no way to "fix" a general hardware malfunction. I haven't had a YLOD but rather a dead BD laser and a hosed up PSU, both times hitting my 60gig NA ps3. I'm sure my ps3 will break again if I use it as much as my 80gig, but I wont. I think the lesson to learn is that all electronics have a chance at failure and that sometimes you gotta suck it up and move on.

Granted had it been a 360, you probably would have gotten a free repair, and kept all your data on the nice removable HDD.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

I refurbed a used 60GB I got off craigslist in November 2009. The one I got back hasn't had any problems since then, and I received the same case back (I recognized the scratches on my machine). They must have just swapped the mainboard only.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Is anyone here using their PS3 through a VPN? If so, I'd appreciate it if you could give me a brief explanation of your setup. I don't need a lot of detail, just a quick overview. Mostly I just want to explore my options before I get rear end-deep in network cables this weekend.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

iastudent posted:

For about a week now, PSN keeps giving me the 80023102 error when trying to buy stuff or add funds. It's happening with both my credit cards, which worked fine up until last week.
This is probably something you should contact support about.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I saw some discussion about mice/keyboards for PS3 and was wondering if there were any decent ones. I bought the Eagle Eye Converter a while back and calibrated it on Black Ops but it just doesn't have the same feel as a PC. Horizontal movement was okay, but vertical was kinda jagged even with calibration so I ended up returning it. Is there anything that would work better?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

iastudent posted:

I was getting this for a few days, I ended up trying a backup credit card and it went through. You should probably call Sony if it's been this long and with multiple cards.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Insane Totoro posted:

My first PS3 YLOD on me in November of 2009, and the refurbished model lasted me until yesterday. So I'm going to go with "ticking time bomb".

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10
I got a 320gb ps3 a couple of weeks ago, and all this talk of the ylod is really unnerving me. Is it really all that common, or is it mostly the original units?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Electric Crayon posted:

My first PS3 YLOD on me in November of 2009, and the refurbished model lasted me until yesterday. So I'm going to go with "ticking time bomb".

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

KoopaPoopa posted:

I got a 320gb ps3 a couple of weeks ago, and all this talk of the ylod is really unnerving me. Is it really all that common, or is it mostly the original units?

1) It's mostly the original units as far as I know, and

2) People don't post when everything goes well, so you only see the bad news.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Palleon posted:

Every time that gets mentioned I make it a point to post and say both my launch 60gb a friend now has and my slim are working just dandy!

Posting that will surely jinx me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I always dust off my PS3 once a week, especially around the blu-ray drive. My Slim has been going great for over a year now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I finally finished the quadrafecta and have a 360, Wii, competently-powered PC and (just now) a PS3. I went to set it up (bought it second-hand, so no instructions, but I got an older model that is BC for both PS1 and PS2, which is very important to me), but when I went to take it online it said "no ethernet cable detected"; what?? I thought *all* PS3's had onboard 802.11 cards? Is there some setting I'm missing? I read the OP, but the drop-down menu isn't second nature to navigate yet, so if someone could post step-by-step how to get my PS3 to see my home's wireless, I'd appreciate it.

There's an option, "View Online Owner's Manual" but it requires an internet connection. :hurr:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You should see an option to select detect wifi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I said come in! posted:

You should see an option to select detect wifi.

Can you walk me through the menu steps? Like, on XBox it's guide button -> system -> connections -> detect wifi

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10

Palleon posted:

Ah, that's reassuring thanks. I'm just being over protective of my new toy no doubt, I don't like spending a lot of money.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So I finally finished the quadrafecta and have a 360, Wii, competently-powered PC and (just now) a PS3. I went to set it up (bought it second-hand, so no instructions, but I got an older model that is BC for both PS1 and PS2, which is very important to me), but when I went to take it online it said "no ethernet cable detected"; what?? I thought *all* PS3's had onboard 802.11 cards? Is there some setting I'm missing? I read the OP, but the drop-down menu isn't second nature to navigate yet, so if someone could post step-by-step how to get my PS3 to see my home's wireless, I'd appreciate it.

There's an option, "View Online Owner's Manual" but it requires an internet connection. :hurr:

It's something like

Settings-> Network Settings -> Network Connection: Enable
Then Internet Conncection Settings-> Select Wireless -> Scan for wireless then it should find your router

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

The 20gb doesn't have Wifi.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Insane Totoro posted:

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
I have a refurb 60gb I got back after a YLOD that's entering its third year in my possession with no problems whatsoever. Just to add a data point there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KoopaPoopa posted:

I've got a BC 80 gb, actually both myself and my father in law bought one at almost the same time. They've had a fair amount of usage, especially over the past year and neither of them have had any issues whatsoever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

davebo posted:

Every time that gets mentioned I make it a point to post and say both my launch 60gb a friend now has and my slim are working just dandy!

My launch 60 and MGS4 80 are both chugging along perfectly fine. Quiet as poo poo, too, I don't get the complaints. Then again, I've always kept them in the open and use them standing up, since you get better heat dissipation since the bottom is the bit that gets the hottest. The 80 in particular has probably logged several thousand hours in the last 2 years, and it's fine.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

My launch 60 and MGS4 80 are both chugging along perfectly fine. Quiet as poo poo, too, I don't get the complaints. Then again, I've always kept them in the open and use them standing up, since you get better heat dissipation since the bottom is the bit that gets the hottest. The 80 in particular has probably logged several thousand hours in the last 2 years, and it's fine.

That is the one thing I never got the complaint of: noise. My launch model 60GB PS3 was quiet for 4 years until the day it died, it was practically silent. The new slim PS3 I bought, while it's silent while running, the disk drive is really noisy when it reads a disk.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Palleon posted:

That is the one thing I never got the complaint of: noise. My launch model 60GB PS3 was quiet for 4 years until the day it died, it was practically silent. The new slim PS3 I bought, while it's silent while running, the disk drive is really noisy when it reads a disk.

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed when I got a slim as well. My 60GB was the exact same way: completely silent until it YLOD'd. First time I put a disk in the slim it gave me flashbacks to my old 360. Luckily it's not nearly that bad, and I hardly even notice it anymore.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
How odd.

My cousin's launch 60GB PS3 have always had the fans on at full blast, yet it never had any yellow lights or any signs of breakdown.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Palleon posted:

My 60gb I got off ebay was noisy at first compared to the new retail 80gb pre-slim I had (but obviously leagues quieter than the 360 it replaced), until I took it over and used my dad's giant air compressor on it. There was an unbelievable amount of dust in there. It just kept coming out. From then out it's been fairly silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Palleon posted:

60 gig launch unit going strong here!

davebo posted:

:highfive:

• Locked thread