Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

reddeathdrinker posted:

My assistant caught me unawares at a wedding back in September... as I'm never comfortable in front of the camera, it turned out to be one of the best photos of me in recent years...

What the... by etchacan, on Flickr

You need to get out into the sunlight more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

You need to get out into the sunlight more.

Cut him some slack, he's from the British Isles.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Cut him some slack, he's from the British Isles.

This. I tried to get sunburnt in the middle of summer playing cricket in Scotland, no hat no sunblock, didn't happen.

Face of Boe
Aug 8, 2010

Goodbye Blue Monday
Here is an older photo of me. I really can't remember how old it is, but I still look the same and it is one of the only photos of me that I actually like.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

I like this.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Spedman posted:

This. I tried to get sunburnt in the middle of summer playing cricket in Scotland, no hat no sunblock, didn't happen.

So true... My natural colour is light blue - takes me 6 weeks in the sun to even turn white. The post-processing doesn't help either, I'm really a sun-tanned mountain-god :p

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax

reddeathdrinker posted:

My assistant caught me unawares at a wedding back in September... as I'm never comfortable in front of the camera, it turned out to be one of the best photos of me in recent years...

What the... by etchacan, on Flickr

David Patrick Kelly?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB MAYO IS

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Wow you really kicked up the whole in fridge shot category. Although there should be just another kick of light in your face.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Wow you really kicked up the whole in fridge shot category. Although there should be just another kick of light in your face.

Yeah I did this as a goof-around thing. I'll have to make it a bit better.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Your Narrator by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Doing that thing I do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

An old elementary school friend dug out maybe the best picture of me of all time.

I'm on the far right.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Above head to make it look more like BLOPS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LuisX posted:

Above head to make it look more like BLOPS

Since we're gonna get like a foot of snow this evening, I will stay inside and possibly do this because I will be bored.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DJExile posted:

Since we're gonna get like a foot of snow this evening, I will stay inside and possibly do this because I will be bored.

I was able to do this because a professor let us out early because the snow was comin' down. Snowmageddon 2011! It isn't perfect (I should have come more from the side to show more of the gun; I should have gotten the muzzle closer to the lens; I wish I had a wider lens; I could have gone crazy and snooted flash onto my face to make it more dramatic, etc. This is a 10 minute job, shut your face), but for some reason my fridge light stopped working after a bit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peep sights = best sights :hfive:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My first attempt at a self-portrait. Lit by my bedroom light like a pro. My nose is all grainy and weird and I can't figure out a way to fix it in lightroom. Oh well.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DJExile posted:

Peep sights = best sights :hfive:

Kinda upset I haven't even had a chance to try them out. Went up to school and whoosh, the outdoor public range and nice weather disappeared =( I was going to shoot at my uncle's on New Years, but it was all rainy and wet.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Wafflecopper posted:

My first attempt at a self-portrait. Lit by my bedroom light like a pro. My nose is all grainy and weird and I can't figure out a way to fix it in lightroom. Oh well.

Haaaandsome you.

I chose this picture because it makes me look kind of smart. Except for the popped collar. I don't pop my collar. My wife said it would look cute OK EVERYBODY JUST SHUT UP

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Self Portrait at Cranberry Flats Jan 2011 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Self Portrait at Cranberry Flats Jan 2011 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Everyone complaining about winter sucks. It's fantastic out there!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

Are you john scalzi's younger brother?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea

psylent posted:

Rami Malek?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My eyes are kinda wide set, but aside from that I'm not really seeing it :)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FRIDGE!

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

AceClown posted:

FRIDGE!

No shotgun? I'm unimpressed. :colbert:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Preface: Photos by one of our pilots who convinced me that the D700 is the way to go.

backend by IkarusSixSix, on Flickr

I'm on the left, my gunner is on the right (contrary to where we sit in the aircraft - flight engineer in the right seat and gunner in the left seat - he's leaning on my gun).

crew by IkarusSixSix, on Flickr

The crew for that trip. Left to right: Pilot, flight engineer, co-pilot, gunner.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 1, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure the copyright for stuff you shoot while working for the govt rests with them, jeisai.

Also, GJ on getting a D700, it's an awesome machine. The helmet pic is soft as hell. Either you missed the focus or moved during the exposure (looks like the former).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

jeisai posted:

The best part of the first picture is my helmet (you just have to zoom in).

If by "best" you mean "the most offensive" then yes, I agree.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

evil_bunnY posted:

Pretty sure the copyright for stuff you shoot while working for the govt rests with them, jeisai.

Also, GJ on getting a D700, it's an awesome machine. The helmet pic is soft as hell. Either you missed the focus or moved during the exposure (looks like the former).

Pretty sure the helmet was just a zoomed in part of the first picture (bottom left, on the helicopter).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Actually, it just can't be copyrighted at all.

"Works by the U.S. Government are not eligible for U.S. copyright protection."

Also the guy to the right in both pictures could probably be overlayed over himself witout looking very off.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

If by "best" you mean "the most offensive" then yes, I agree.

Fair enough. Sorry about that, PIMM.

And let me understand this - shots taken on my personal camera at work do not belong to me because I work for the government? I mean it wouldn't surprise me at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

jeisai posted:

And let me understand this - shots taken on my personal camera at work do not belong to me because I work for the government? I mean it wouldn't surprise me at all.

That's correct.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's correct.

After a quick phone call to base legal, photos can be copyrighted for personal use, but if I sell them I have to have an off-duty employment form filed with them. The question blew their minds and they had to look it up.

Something I hadn't thought of, so thanks for bringing it up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

That's correct.

I actually sort of doubt that unless photography is in any way part of his government job.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That's correct.

Not true. I just got off the phone with USAF legal and they stated personal photos taken with personal equipment can be copyrighted. The main point they stated was that any commercial use of these images is approved for the military member just as long as they have been cleared to photograph in that specific area (like the flightline or another restricted zone with all security restrictions to these images still applicable) and an off-duty employment form is filled out with leadership signed off on it.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Photos taken on duty by active duty US military are copyright owned by the photographer, unless, as can be the case with normal employees, they are shot as part of official duties, in which case likely the US owns them.

Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was just going by this clause, "Works by the U.S. Government are not eligible for U.S. copyright protection." How strictly they enforce that is better left to somebody who is in the military and/or knows law. I work for the government in a civilian capacity and I see how they could very easily manipulate that phrasing to mean whatever the hell they want to, such as any photos I take while I'm at work are considered a "work by the U.S. Government."

How would you even define that phrase? The U.S. Government isn't a physical entity, so the only thing I can take it to mean is photos taken by federal employees or those enlisted in the military during or as part of their service. They might let it slide and they might not, but I think it'd be an uphill battle trying to protect your copyright if they didn't want you to own the photos. I dunno, IANAL and all that.

• Locked thread