Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Maybe I am - the argument I remember was something like one of the ____ games being better for multiplayer, the other one much better for single player, and one of them had a randomly-generated skirmish mode.

If that doesn't sound like HoMM then looks like I'll be grabbing 3.

HoMM3, and when you're bored of that one, install the Wake of the Gods (WOG) mod.

From some rebalancing of unit stats to new units and buildings, adds in some features from HOMM4. All in all, it really extends the longevity of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Do I need to open ports or something even on a local network?

Chances are you are on Win7 and that has no IPX support. I hear there's an application that emulates the LAN support required for old games, but I don't know the details. Maybe someone else can fill you in.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If MoO2 on GOG is the DOS version, DOSBox has an IPX tunneler built in - there's a guide on VOGONS that covers both virtual modem games and IPX games.

If it's the windows version I have no idea, sorry.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
GameRanger.
I've been able to play AoM:Titans, Dungeon Keeper 2, RoN... all my old awesome multiplayer games with it and it's virtually setup-free.
http://www.gameranger.com/games/ for list of compatible games

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That site is cool when you read it as Gamer Anger

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

does anyone know if the gog.com version of IWD2 works on 64-bit Windows 7?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Bonus posted:

does anyone know if the gog.com version of IWD2 works on 64-bit Windows 7?

It definitely does! They worked some magic to do it as my previous legit copy had weird graphics and speed issues.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
It's admittedly my own fault for breaking the game with a solo pure monk min maxed deep gnome though.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

cool. i never tried soloing IWD2, doesn't the level adjusted XP thing kind of mess it up?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The original version of Broken Sword is now a bonus for anyone who has or buys the Director's Cut.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Ah, crap. I just bought it off Steam last week and I prefer the original. Ah, well, at least this time buying a game I already own at another digital store is intentional.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Now if they only added international versions for Broken Sword 2...

Speaking of that, there will be a "remastered" version of BS2, I hope it is bundled/merged with the BS2 gamecard on GOG (and if not, I would gladly double dip for it)

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Luisfe posted:

Now if they only added international versions for Broken Sword 2...

What's the difference?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

What's the difference?

Voices. In the Spanish case, voice acting that is so terrible it is endearing. I played BS2 in Spanish, and that is the way it made me laugh the most.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded is now on GOG for $5.99.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
What the hell is Dotemu, and how the hell did they snag exclusive rights to The Last Express? I wanted that game on my GoG shelf! :argh:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Fishmonkey posted:

What the hell is Dotemu, and how the hell did they snag exclusive rights to The Last Express? I wanted that game on my GoG shelf! :argh:
:aaaaa:

Heh, I went to sign up to Dotemu but turns out I had an account that I forgotten about. I now remember that when they first launched they gave away a few games for free for a few days, or something like that. Think it was mentioned on this thread when they first launched, which I believe was may of last year according to the 'date of purchase' on the free games I got.

I think they are basically a site that saw GoG and decided to have a go at it themselves. Doesn't look like they have much bothering with, stuff that gog mostly has or crap I don't give a poo poo about but drat, The Last Express sure is something. I'm tempted to get it but I'd rather have it on GoG. I hope they can also get the rights to sell it. :ohdear:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I reckon it will appear on GOG very soon. Eg Raptor appeared on DotEmu a couple of weeks before GOG.

I do hope GOG get as I've always wanted to play The Last Express.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Part of me wants to wait for it to appear on GOG, but holy poo poo it's The Motherfucking Last Express

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Whoa whoa whoa how did I not hear about dotemu.com until now, and how do they have a bunch of IREM games on there?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Now what on earth are GOG up to now?

"POLICE EVIDENCE - DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 1/18"

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
So are we assuming this "Police Line" thing is police quest/swat games?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You have to let me behind that line, sir, my baby GOGs are there! :ohdear:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Judging by the layout, my far fetched opinion is that they're going to release classic BBS games like L.O.R.D., Trade Wars 2002, P.L.A.N.E.T.S., or just some old text adventure games.

Of course, the BBS games won't make a poo poo of sense to play it offline and by yourself. Unless GoG sets up their own BBS-emulation and runs "servers" on their own and buying the game gets you access into them... a man can dream.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
It's going to be Infocom.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Kins posted:

Now what on earth are GOG up to now?

"POLICE EVIDENCE - DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 1/18"
What is that background picture? It looks like a walrus shooting lasers out of its eyes. Also it has too many eyes. What games involve laser shooting multiple eyed walrus cops? I want to play that game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Whalley posted:

What is that background picture? It looks like a walrus shooting lasers out of its eyes. Also it has too many eyes. What games involve laser shooting multiple eyed walrus cops? I want to play that game.

Someone posted this: http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/beyond/quendor3.jpg

So text adventures?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

dflanny posted:

It's going to be Infocom.

Just take my wallet, GoG

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Could have sworn Infocom's earlier games were freeware (I know I've seen Zork trilogy and Hitchiker's Guide distributed freely everywhere). There at least a dozen websites with online Java based z-engine interpreters so I can't really see this being in high demand and making a lot of money unless they're getting the more obscure stuff like Spellcaster or Magnetic Scrolls' games.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
If they released large chunks of the Infocom library packaged together with an easy to use front-end to play all the games from at a reasonable price then I'll buy it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kennel posted:

Someone posted this: http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/beyond/quendor3.jpg

So text adventures?
Well it loving sucks that I got laser-eyed multi-eyed walrus cops in my head then, because everything else is terrible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The developers of Arx Fatalis have released a new patch out of nowhere. It makes the game play nice with modern PCs and operating systems. I'm not sure whether it works on GOG's version, but that doesn't really matter - Arkane have also released the game's source code, so if they or GOG don't fix it, someone will.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

The Kins posted:

The developers of Arx Fatalis have released a new patch out of nowhere. It makes the game play nice with modern PCs and operating systems. I'm not sure whether it works on GOG's version, but that doesn't really matter - Arkane have also released the game's source code, so if they or GOG don't fix it, someone will.

And it worked pretty drat well on modern machines anyway. I'm impressed both with Arkane and GoG for feeling like something like this for an old game is worth it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

The Kins posted:

oh joy maybe I can finally beat it without the horrible crippling framerate I get when I go to a screen with a lot of text. Oh and not get a broken sidequest.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Furret Basket posted:

If they released large chunks any part of the Infocom library packaged together with an easy to use front-end to play all the games from at a reasonable price then I'll buy it.

I am very, very excited about this. Old IF is oddly unforgiving to my modern baby sensibilities, but what I've played of it is goddamn art.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

To be honest, I've hated every single Infocom game I've played. Cheap deaths and unwinnable situations abound. Some games can get away with this - All Things Devours did it by making a short game around a large and rather clever puzzle, so starting over is fast and painless - but Infocom's lengthy, sprawling adventures cannot.

I'd find it kind of exciting in a "hey, there's still a commercial IF market, that's neat" way, but I'd never buy them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I hope you heard about this, then.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hope you heard about this, then.

ahahhahahah wow. Look at that guy's stupid loving head. I want to be friends with him and just attach poo poo to his head.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Anyone figured out how to apply the Arx Fatalis patch to the Steam version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Last Express being available anywhere but Gametap now is awesome.
Hopefully I can finally put my retail copy in storage.