Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
So I decided to attempt an ME4 draft in an attempt to get some dual lands or a timevault. I hadn't looked at the actual set. Here is my draft.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2jbt5

I wonder if raredraft will update so you can see something other than the name at some point! Anyway, white was basically unplayed as far as I could tell so I jumped on it and got a few blue cards I liked. p2p1 was tundra which made me pretty happy. First game I pounded face in 11 minutes. Even with me mulling to 6 one game and keeping a 6 land hand and drawing a veteran bodyguard and personal incarnation and then not playing a land on turn 4 because I'm dumb I still owned that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mango sentinel posted:

Whyyyyyyyyyyy won't they do a product like this for real life so we can get staple cards for older formats without paying a hojillion dollars :(

In related news, JTMS is sitting around $100 average price.

Because a bunch of scrooges will bitch that their precious promise from Wizards about the reserved list being broken.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
So is ME4 limited any good, or is it all about who gets to assemble the Urzatron first?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Ashenai posted:

So is ME4 limited any good, or is it all about who gets to assemble the Urzatron first?

Well, it is pretty heavy in artifacts. I think I was the only one drafting white, I had 3 divine offerings, 2 just fate, a veteran bodyguard, swords to plowshares, and a personal incarnation. A counterspell, two false summons in blue.

I played white/blue fliers with a couple righteous charges. I was basically a control deck that would just abuse my creature/artifact kill advantage while pinging with some fliers. I lost the second round for a 2-1 overall score, the only reason I lost in the second was because I was holding a counterspell but since I'm pretty new to MTGO online I let the creature kill on my personal incarnation through when I would have easily won otherwise. I think it was his only creature kill in the deck. I've only drafted SOM before but this blew it out of the water in terms of fun.

Personal Incarnation was a huge bomb and veteran bodyguard is pretty nice as well. Wild Aesthir and Cloud Spirit probably get MVP. My deck had Osai Vultures which were pretty awful but can actually trade for a good amount of things.

Interesting stuff I saw - Library of alexandria took like 15 cards over the course of the game and I only lost when he got down to 9 cards in library. Was a hair's edge away from winning anyway. Saw a green deck with aggressive elephants that cast a 12 mana or so fireball. Green has some pretty nice double-bears.

It was a grand time overall, I had to think about my sideboard every game (phantasmal terrain for library / urza assembly) and several other cards to juggle the amount of removal/creatures I needed for particular decks. There seemed to be more creature kill so it wasn't just play bomb-win, and bombs seemed few. My personal incarnation was the single most powerful card I saw.

I may be overselling this because I actually got a tundra, and in my colors, and a drain power which I'm not sure why I like so much. Veteran Bodyguard was also my favorite card as a kid.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

mango sentinel posted:

Whyyyyyyyyyyy won't they do a product like this for real life so we can get staple cards for older formats without paying a hojillion dollars :(

In related news, JTMS is sitting around $100 average price.

"Coming Soon! Duel Decks: Mindsculptor vs. Mindsculptor- are you a bad enough dude to ultimate Jace?"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gerund posted:

"Coming Soon! Duel Decks: Mindsculptor vs. Mindsculptor- are you a bad enough dude to ultimate Jace?"
How did you know my most secret wish? :ohdear:

Seriously though I don't care about crazy vintage poo poo, I just wish they'd push down dual lands, FoW, and all the other random poo poo that makes the barrier to entry on Legacy much lower like Moat and all the utility lands.

I know stuff like Fire and Lightning is a (really week) stab at this sort of thing, but seriously, unless they drop something like Reanimator vs Enchantress, nobody gives a poo poo.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 13, 2011

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Ashenai posted:

My B/u deck vs. a W/b deck ended up going to three games with all three of them being decided when both of us were low-single digits and despite my relatively low standards we had some fun stories out of the matchup. There were things like getting blown out by a topdecked Howl From Beyond on a Weakness'd Osai Vultures (2/2 because of Divine Voices or whatever the 2WW White+Artifact Crusade is)) or having my Clockwork Avian Divine Offering'd in response to my Copy Artifact. So there's definitely some interactivity, and the quality of the removal is super good (Terror, Control Magic, StP, etc). There are also apparently two common pingers, though I didn't see either one in this draft.

Creature quality is, as expected, garbage. Ended up with a lot of board states where it would be something like the 2/1 Artifact flyer vs. the 1/1 flying pumpknight while a 1/4 stared down a 2/3 on the ground.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The ground can get clogged up really quickly and then comes down to flying dudes being able to get the job done. All of the 4/5 and 4/6 ground pounders just bounce off eachother and hold back the bears. The Serra angels, sengir vampires and air elementals are the most consistently powerful things I saw in my four sealed games. The smaller fliers are good too, but get outclassed by the bomb uncommon fliers.
Talas Researcher won games or drew out removal.
Green seemed to be the weakest color. It's beaters cant break through the 4/X artifact fat that is all over the place.
I went 3-1 with the pool on the last page, loosing the first round to r/w weenie due to keeping threat lite hands and getting overwhelmed by goblins and soldiers before I could stabilize and let my fliers do their thing. Atleast in sealed, Urzatron did nothing. There very little to help you get it online and not much besides clunky artifacts to dump the mana into.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Gerund posted:

Having shelled out for my 4 JTMSes, I think this... is the bestest idea.

ANIME GOAT ASS
Jul 21, 2007

I won a game in a sealed where I plunked down Island Sanctuary and just waited until he drew his last card. In game 2 he boarded in Flying Carpet :(

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Colonel Sponsz posted:

I won a game in a sealed where I plunked down Island Sanctuary and just waited until he drew his last card. In game 2 he boarded in Flying Carpet :(

There is no enchantment removal in ME4, so Island Sanctuary seems like it can ruin a lot of decks.
One should main-deck their Flying Carpets (at least 1) unless they have a lot of fliers.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

snyprmag posted:

There is no enchantment removal in ME4, so Island Sanctuary seems like it can ruin a lot of decks.
One should main-deck their Flying Carpets (at least 1) unless they have a lot of fliers.

Are you sure? It seems very marginal even without the drawback. Giving a creature flying is rarely worth a card (see also: Bladed Pinions,) and this costs a boatload of mana to boot.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Pinions is very worthwhile in certain decks (Infect being the archetype it is most useful in, but I've drafted other decks where it has been very useful).

Pinions is actually probably one of the better designed Scars limited cards in that it's value is very dependent on the composition of your deck.

If you weren't planning on keeping any of the ME4 cards, is ME4 fun to draft still? Is it a better format that Scars, at least?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Ashenai posted:

Are you sure? It seems very marginal even without the drawback. Giving a creature flying is rarely worth a card (see also: Bladed Pinions,) and this costs a boatload of mana to boot.
I've only done sealed so far, but it seems like getting your big artifact guys up in the air can bust open a stalled board and brawl with the 4 power uncommon fliers.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I got blown out by pinions last week. I was running RW fliers with tons of 2x Glint Hawk 3x Kemba's Skyguard and a Razor Hippogriff. He put pinions on one of his 4/4 green dudes all three games and we basically just stared at eachother for awhile.

Of course, I was also running Kemba and a bunch of equipment, and he just happened to have 2x Acid Web Spider (also kills my fliers) and green replica.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this set is nothing but rocks paper scissors... unless you open a couple bombs and then you just win.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

wodin posted:

There are also apparently two common pingers, though I didn't see either one in this draft.

No there isn't. The only pingers in ME4 are Grapeshot Catapult (flying only) and Prodigal Sorcerer.
Both are uncommon.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

If you weren't planning on keeping any of the ME4 cards, is ME4 fun to draft still? Is it a better format that Scars, at least?

It's pretty terrible. Almost all the creatures suck, there's too much removal for the good creatures to survive and there are no real themes to speak of even compared to Scars. The board positions you get during games are just boring.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Not as fun as ME3, I'd probably even put it below Scars. In most games, the ground will be clogged with 4/5 and 4/6 artifact guys running into each other, and it will eventually come down to evasion. I mean there's a 1/3 for 1 that any color can play, you can forget about the aggro decks with fast 2 power stuff. Having no enchantment removal (except for counterspell) is a huge oversight, and to make it worse there are strong color-hosers. If someone drops Library of Alexandria turn 1 it is likely gg (haven't played with/against one yet, this was from replays).

Haven't seen the Urzatron played at all, so not sure if it's a worthwhile archetype.

Only reason I'm drafting it is for money and I'm tired of SOM, and that ME4 draft sets are cheap - they are already down to 10.5 tix.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Quick! Last minute Scars sealed tips!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Pretty Hat Machine posted:

Open 6 wurmcoil engines and a foil sword of body and mind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Don't make infect!

I just woke up I hate you. :(

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 15, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

mango sentinel posted:

Don't draft infect!

Don't draft at all, the judges will notice and disqualify you from the Sealed tournament :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

I TRIED this but it didn't work.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Play R/W unless you open Skitheryx or Geth.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lets Pickle posted:

Play R/W unless you open Skitheryx or Geth.

Skinrender and Carnifax demon are also acceptable.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Jumped into a zen/wwk mtgo queue since I had packs for that around.
P1P1 Lotus Cobra. Nice to get 25 tix right away like that :)

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Vidmaster posted:

Wait, is it true that you can have six copies of one card in a sealed/draft deck?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Maha posted:

Wait, is it true that you can have six copies of one card in a sealed/draft deck?

Yes, only in limited format.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Maha posted:

Oh yeah. I knew someone in an M10 draft who opened Garruk, Elvish Archdruid, and drafted five copies of Llannowar Elves and every single green card that came his way. I think he won that draft.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

One guy in my playgroup thought the opponent got the 1/1 when you played Violet Pall. When he found out that you get it, he proceded to draft six of them, thinking it would be the greatest deck he'd ever drafted. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Maha posted:

There is no limit to the number of copies of a card you can play in Limited. Even in Sealed, it's technically possible to have 12 copies of a card (1 normal and 1 foil of it in each pack), and you can run them all. That's why gimmick drafters fell in love with Squadron Hawk.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nemico posted:

One guy in my playgroup thought the opponent got the 1/1 when you played Violet Pall. When he found out that you get it, he proceded to draft six of them, thinking it would be the greatest deck he'd ever drafted. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

I didn't play enough Lorwyn to know exactly how bad this is, but a stack of expensive doom blades that makes chumps seems pretty solid.

Unless those were the best cards in the deck and he didn't have a way of dealing with black grey ogres.

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.

Nemico posted:

One of my favorite magic-related podcasts, Limited Resources, discusses this on one of their episodes; they call it being ROTi. ROTi stands for Results-Oriented Thinking. You have an interaction occur when you play the game, and it changes your perception for the worse because of it.

The best example of this I can think of from my own experience is during M11 Launch day. My first draft I lived the dream with like 3 "Whirlygigs", a Steel Overseer, and a bunch of random stall cards. I won straight out that draft, and I thought that those little 0/2 flying dudes were the poo poo. So the next three drafts I did that evening I grabbed that card as soon as I saw it, every time I saw it... and promptly 0-2 dropped every single time. I should have really evaluated why I did so well with those "free cards", and what I needed to do to win with those cards. Instead, I got ROTi and it ended up costing me.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

He just passed almost any good card in order to pick up a Violet Pall, and didn't end up getting enough finishers to back them up.

Also, me sitting to his left, well aware of his strategy didn't help :hehe:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

That doesn't seem to prove that Violet Pall is a bad card, just that your friend has no idea how to build a mana curve.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah, pretty much.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So, prerelease in a week. Mirran or Phyrexian, how will you swing? Just a gut instinct choice based of flavour, or some super serious stratagem you have on which one will be the Objectively Better Choice?

I'm kinda thinking Mirran, though I'm fine either way.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I actually haven't decided yet. They both look pretty fun! Leaning a tiny bit towards Phyrexian just because I enjoy Proliferate shenanigans so much.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lunael posted:

So, prerelease in a week. Mirran or Phyrexian, how will you swing? Just a gut instinct choice based of flavour, or some super serious stratagem you have on which one will be the Objectively Better Choice?

I'm kinda thinking Mirran, though I'm fine either way.

Mirran is the Very Serious Objectively Better Choice. If you choose Phyrexia, you don't get many red cards in half your packs, cutting yourself off from the best SoM sealed colour, what few white cards you get in MBS don't play well with the ones from SOM, and you're disproportionately leaning on your three Phyrexian MBS packs and the ~40% of SOM that's playable in infect. If you choose Mirran, you get a disproportionate amount of white and red cards in your MBS packs, which help you play the white and red cards you want to be playing in SOM, and you're only cut off from the ~20% of cards in SOM that are only playable in infect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

In other news, MTGO personal summary had the most interesting factoids again for a change:

Top 10 Commons Picked First by SOM 8-4 Draft Winners:

1. Galvanic Blast
2. Grasp of Darkness
3. Arrest
4. Tumble Magnet
5. Revoke Existence
6. Shatter
7. Perilous Myr
8. Sylvok Replica
9. Glint Hawk Idol
10. Cystbearer

Would have liked to have seen other rarities in the mix too, though seeing purely commons list is interesting in its own right.

Tumble Magnet is I think surprisingly high. Glint Hawk Idol and Cystbearer leading the peloton after the removal and pseudo-removal group is not very surprising.

Edit:
Chajusong, that is pretty much my reasoning too. Scars boosters are still unfortunately more likely to build towards RW deck. I'll rather pair that with the Mirran package with the current info.