Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

aas Bandit posted:

That was pretty drat cool. :)

I'll be adding it to the "Media --> Text" section of my website the next time I do an update. Do you want to be credited as "MizuZero", or...?

Oh, excellent. Depends on how other works are credited on there. If it's real life names, "M. Honoridez" is fine, but if it's mostly net handles then MizuZero works for me :unsmith:

weak top-of-page edit: I spent a not-insignificant amount of time as a kid playing Super Mario RPG. I was sure I'd 100%ed the game— I'd unlocked the secret weapons, gotten the Attack Scarf, fought Culex, etc. However, one of my friends one-upped me by saying he unlocked the ability to summon Luigi, Link, and Samus in battle. For a childhood lie, this was plausible, as Link and Samus can be found sleeping in beds throughout the world at various points in the game, and there are messages implicitly from Luigi scattered here and there. Also, he didn't say he could play as them, merely summon them to fight for you with items, like you could Yoshi. I believed him, because he was the one who told me about the game's more abstruse secrets, like the method for unlocking the Lazy Shell or obtaining the Sheep Attack.

The process had something to do with beating Shy Ranger, a unique enemy who only appears in one optional and relatively early part of the game in one specific encounter, and who generally runs away before anyone in your party can take an action. The URL above says that Geno equipped with a Feather can do it, but, being a nerd, my team was usually comprised of Mario/Peach/Bowser, and since combat was turn-based, I pretty much ignored the Speed rating. It was frustrating, and I was never able to do it, so I gave up on fully completing the game; I had no clue what the reward for beating the Shy Ranger was until I looked it up a few months ago.

Naturally, it wasn't Luigi, Link, or Samus.

panko fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

Don't think so, but ohmRICE did a excellent LP of it.

http://lparchive.org/Yume-Nikki/

That was a really good LP. The beginning talks about fan theories about the game. Is there a site that has them somewhere?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The tvtropes page has a lot of Yume Nikki theories, but beware. There's some pretty drat :spergin: theories there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

The tvtropes page has a lot of Yume Nikki theories, but beware. There's some pretty drat :spergin: theories there.

That's pretty much true of anywhere on TVTropes. For every "Oh wow, that's really interesting!" bit of trivia there's going to be one fan that spends a little bit too much time thinking about a particular game/movie/show/book/etc.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
TV Tropes is a site with a subcategory called "Incest Win!" I'd ignore any of their opinions on anything.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Yume Nikki theories always, ALWAYS, lead back to rape. I guess its a cheap way to justify your game as mature and therefore sophisticated and art like.

edit: Everyone really knows the game is about the best birthday party ever.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Unexpected EOF posted:

TV Tropes is a site with a subcategory called "Incest Win!" I'd ignore any of their opinions on anything.

That's kind of silly. You know, if you don't like broccoli and there's broccoli in your vegetable stir fry, you can eat around the broccoli, right? The same works with most things. You can read around the bad parts of TV Tropes.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

21stCentury posted:

That's kind of silly. You know, if you don't like broccoli and there's broccoli in your vegetable stir fry, you can eat around the broccoli, right? The same works with most things. You can read around the bad parts of TV Tropes.

You really have a knack for picking the worst things to defend, you don't always need to justify your custom title :P

Also the fetish fuel subtopic at TV tropes should not be read.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

21stCentury posted:

I think TV tropes is more like a virus, as a more apt metaphor. It infects everything around it, and spreads.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

JammyLammy posted:

Sometimes I think you bring it up on yourself =/

Also the fetish fuel subtopic at TV tropes should not be read.

What do you mean, "bring it up on..."

Oh, my title. I didn't mean to say that the sections are good. They're pretty bad. it's basically what you say, those "fetish fuel" pages are pretty obviously marked and you can avoid them without too much problem.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

JammyLammy posted:

You really have a knack for picking the worst things to defend, you don't always need to justify your custom title :P

And at the same time, you somehow hate broccoli. What the gently caress, man?

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

21stCentury posted:

What do you mean, "bring it up on..."

Oh, my title. I didn't mean to say that the sections are good. They're pretty bad. it's basically what you say, those "fetish fuel" pages are pretty obviously marked and you can avoid them without too much problem.

Edited my post to make more sense. Check it out :)

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

gently caress that, broccoli is awesome. Brussels Sprouts is the poo poo that should be avoided.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

21stCentury posted:

That's just one example of how TV Tropes is an awful site. Ignoring the community as a whole, the entire site seeks to put its own quirky names on things that already have names or never needed them to begin with.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

gently caress that, broccoli is awesome. Brussels Sprouts is the poo poo that should be avoided.

How does it feel to be as wrong as 21stCentury? :c00lbert:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Category Fun! posted:

Broccoli is a lot like anal sex. If you're forced to have it as a child, you won't enjoy it as an adult.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Broccoli is a lot like anal sex. If you're forced to have it as a child, you won't enjoy it as an adult.

I loving love broccoli :colbert:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Then you were probably a bitch as a child.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Broccoli is aight in the right dishes.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Broccoli is aight in the right dishes.

That dish being a plate loving covered in broccoli.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

How does it feel to be as wrong as 21stCentury? :c00lbert:

Broccoli with fried almonds and a healthy dose of salt is friggin ambrosia, man.

shenanigans
Dec 30, 2006

one of every colour
Haven't read through this whole thread yet, but something just came to my mind about a secret room that scared me as a kid.

In the game based on the book series Wheel of Time, one of the levels where I think you were in a tower or a castle or something had a secret room you could see through a slot in the wall.

Inside were a whole bunch of scary paintings...or maybe just one. I don't remember.

I never figured out what that room was about.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
who cares if TVTropes gives stupid names to things or has an annoying community, it's still a really entertaining website with a lot of interesting information.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

That dish being a plate loving covered in broccoli.

Raw broccoli, the best meal. Also yeah, Tvtropes sucks rear end

Edit: VVV Good point in an attempt to add some content I heard that in Super Mario RPG if you let the wuss Snifits beat you in a certain way you could get some weapon for mario. Or at least thats what my friend said, I went to far as to let one of them beat me (which took loving forever) and instead of a game over the dude went away all happy but I couldn't put forth the effort to keep doing it

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 15, 2011

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This page is the worst page.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

RentACop posted:

Raw broccoli, the best meal. Also yeah, Tvtropes sucks rear end

Raw, or lightly steamed with just a bit of salt and pepper.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Who knew asking about Yume Nikki theories could be so horrible?

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
I use TV Tropes to find things I like for specific reasons and then find good things along the same lines. Also, I like stupid names for things.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I heard that in Mario 64, in the hallway leading to the first Bowser level with the changing painting, if you do that hyper backwards long jump thing through the invisible wall at the end, the painting changes again, this time into a plate of broccoli.

edit: Joking aside, I wonder if that painting does anything interesting if you get too close to it. Via noclip or whatever, of course.

VV Well that sucks. I was hoping it'd freak out or something

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 18, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

liquidypoo posted:

edit: Joking aside, I wonder if that painting does anything interesting if you get too close to it. Via noclip or whatever, of course.

Nope.

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I
New episode of Pop-Fiction covers the Stop N' Swop from Banjo-Kazooie: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-8-pop-fiction/709014

Interesting that it would have worked out if the hardware revision of the N64 didn't reduce the ability to keep data between cart loads for enough time to perform the swap.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BaShildy posted:

New episode of Pop-Fiction covers the Stop N' Swop from Banjo-Kazooie: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-8-pop-fiction/709014

Interesting that it would have worked out if the hardware revision of the N64 didn't reduce the ability to keep data between cart loads for enough time to perform the swap.

Thanks for these. I was hoping for a show like this to pop up one day.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

BaShildy posted:

That's pretty cool, but it skipped over a couple interesting points. (I actually followed this pretty heavily while it was being revealed.)

- The long codes to unlock the eggs and key aren't the only codes of their type in the game. There are actually a whole mess of codes just like them (entered by typing CHEAT and then some kind of rhyming sentence) which do all sorts of things, mostly opening levels and making parts of Grunty's lair accessible. For this reason, the theory goes that these "Stop 'n' Swop" codes and all the codes like them are actually debug cheats developers could use to skip ahead and unlock things while testing. This explains why they're so drat tedious to enter. Presumably, a developer would be able to call up some sort of console and just type them in.

- I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but if you enter too many Stop 'n Swop codes in a row you start to get special messages, first from Grunty and then from Bottles, warning you to stop putting in those codes or they'll stop you by force. Eventually, they start threatening to delete your save game if you don't stop. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they actually do delete it if you enter too many at once (somewhere around six in a row). Keep in mind that "at once" just means "without leaving the sandcastle," so this can be circumvented by just exiting the room and coming back in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That second one reminds me of something. In Animal Crossing, (any Animal Crossing,) when you reset the game without saving you get visited by Mr. Resetti (and occasionally his brother who I forget the name of. Don?)

They yell at you and eventually start threatening to delete your save if you do it again. (Resetti even teases it at one point by resetting the game himself.) I swear I remember seeing proof that in one of the Animal Crossing games, they actually do delete your save. Is that just another rumor?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

That second one reminds me of something. In Animal Crossing, (any Animal Crossing,) when you reset the game without saving you get visited by Mr. Resetti (and occasionally his brother who I forget the name of. Don?)

They yell at you and eventually start threatening to delete your save if you do it again. (Resetti even teases it at one point by resetting the game himself.) I swear I remember seeing proof that in one of the Animal Crossing games, they actually do delete your save. Is that just another rumor?

I'm pretty sure that's a rumor, as I've done a test to reset as many times as I could on a throwaway file to catch all his rants.

I didn't get all of them, though. I heard he curses you out (In an E game, mind), if you reset during his rants too many times. :ohdear:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It's especially weird because there's actually another "I'll delete your save" joke in Banjo-Kazooie that is just a joke.

At the start of the game, Bottles asks if you want to do his tutorial or not. If you say no, and then try to talk to him again, he'll say "You said you didn't need my help. Well then, go on, save Tootie without me," or something like that. Keep trying to talk to him and he'll get increasingly annoyed, telling you to just get on with the drat game. Eventually he'll threaten to erase your game if you talk to him again. Do it again and he'll say something along the lines of "Okay, you asked for it! 3...2...1...Actually no, I won't, but seriously just play the game already."

Kinda strange they'd have one such gag which doesn't delete your game, and then another one which does.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocketlex posted:

- The long codes to unlock the eggs and key aren't the only codes of their type in the game. There are actually a whole mess of codes just like them (entered by typing CHEAT and then some kind of rhyming sentence) which do all sorts of things, mostly opening levels and making parts of Grunty's lair accessible. For this reason, the theory goes that these "Stop 'n' Swop" codes and all the codes like them are actually debug cheats developers could use to skip ahead and unlock things while testing. This explains why they're so drat tedious to enter. Presumably, a developer would be able to call up some sort of console and just type them in.

I'm interested as to why they'd make these codes work in the sandcastle if they're just for debug purposes? I mean, just use the console to do as you please, but they intentionally made them work in the sandcastle for some reason. :iiam:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I can't imagine an animal crossing game genuinely deleting your save file as an easter egg.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Liku posted:

I'm interested as to why they'd make these codes work in the sandcastle if they're just for debug purposes? I mean, just use the console to do as you please, but they intentionally made them work in the sandcastle for some reason. :iiam:

Didn't really think about it at the time probably. Was probably just easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liku posted:

Because it allows you to take a build that's practically ready to be put on actual cartridges and sold and do some last minute checking for bugs when using an unmodified consumer console. Basically the same reason any game that still has debug mode available has it.