Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gyshall posted:

I've tried a million different "gore tweaks" but can't find one that makes peoples' heads blow up instead of fall off when I shoot them. Recommendations?

If the other recommendations don't satisfy you, I strongly recommend using the gore rebalance included in XFO's overhaul. It cuts down on the ultraviolence and prevents conventional firearms from magically decapitating and severing limbs. There's still plenty of guts and gore, but you have to work harder for it, which makes it all the better to see it when it happens.

Vitriol posted:

Those of you waiting for the REAL weapon mod expansion.. your wait is now over! WMX is out!

Holy poo poo, no kidding? I'm going to check it out--and from what I see so far, this really might usurp the current WME. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: So a couple of interesting things about this mod thus far pertaining to additional guns:

- .223 Pistols are non-unique, less powerful versions of the unique weapon 'That Gun'. They are sometimes carried by people that might otherwise be armed with Service Rifles, and can be found in some stores. (Note that WMX makes That Gun slightly more powerful than in the base game.)

- Battle Rifles are non-unique, less powerful versions of the unique weapon 'This Machine'. They are sometimes carried by people that might otherwise be armed with Hunting Rifles, and can be found in some stores.

- But no silencer for the hunting shotgun! For some reason I really enjoyed the silencer that WME added to the game.

Palpek posted:

I don't know if this was already posted but the NMC guy (who created the awesome texture packs for Fallout 3) has posted some HD screenshots of the new textures from his upcoming NMC NEW VEGAS TEXTURE PACK in the comments section of his mod's Fallout 3 Nexus page.

I've got my evil eye on this mod, so I can throw it up on the OP the minute it goes gold.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
Sorry I know someone said TESSnip but there's like a billion hits on google for it across all the TES games/ FO3, can someone link one that will work unquestionably with FONV?

Or just any basic editor that allows you to read/edit the tree in esm/esp files?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Demerzel posted:

Sorry I know someone said TESSnip but there's like a billion hits on google for it across all the TES games/ FO3, can someone link one that will work unquestionably with FONV?

Or just any basic editor that allows you to read/edit the tree in esm/esp files?

TESsnip is included with FOMM. You run it from FOMM.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

TESsnip is included with FOMM. You run it from FOMM.

Oh blah, I just wanted something simple, not wrapped in a mod manager. I tried using FOMM and it just broke poo poo, it's not that hard to keep track of mods manually and I even have like 15 of them.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
:negative: no wonder you're having so many problems with this game

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave

Demerzel posted:

Oh blah, I just wanted something simple, not wrapped in a mod manager. I tried using FOMM and it just broke poo poo, it's not that hard to keep track of mods manually and I even have like 15 of them.

That's like saying you took the engine out of your car because it was too complicated and you already had four wheels anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Demerzel posted:

I'm not really sure how FOMM would break poo poo. It's function is to give you the ability to arrange your load order and, as a result, minimize conflicts. On its own, it doesn't actually do anything beyond this (and loading NVSE with the game.) I'm not even sure how you would play the game with more than two or three mods without something like FOMM (unless you did a lot of manual file manipulation in order to change the timestamps on the files, which could invite more troubles than its worth.)

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not really sure how FOMM would break poo poo. It's function is to give you the ability to arrange your load order and, as a result, minimize conflicts. On its own, it doesn't actually do anything beyond this (and loading NVSE with the game.) I'm not even sure how you would play the game with more than two or three mods without something like FOMM (unless you did a lot of manual file manipulation in order to change the timestamps on the files, which could invite more troubles than its worth.)

I don't know how it broke stuff either, honestly. I use BOSS for load order and ArchiveInvalidation.bsa so I didn't have to keep up ArchiveInvalidation.txt (which if I did would have made me use a mod manager).

Is the code at fomm.sourceforge.net FO3 only or does the FO3 FOMM code just extend to FONV or is it a new project altogether? I can't find FONV FOMM at sourceforge, so I am wondering.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Almost every question I've seen you ask in this thread can be answered by reading the OP

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Demerzel posted:

I don't know how it broke stuff either, honestly. I use BOSS for load order and ArchiveInvalidation.bsa so I didn't have to keep up ArchiveInvalidation.txt (which if I did would have made me use a mod manager).

Is the code at fomm.sourceforge.net FO3 only or does the FO3 FOMM code just extend to FONV or is it a new project altogether? I can't find FONV FOMM at sourceforge, so I am wondering.

This is the download link that the FOMM page on the New Vegas Nexus links to. From personal experience, the current version of FOMM is a 2-in-1 utility that provides support for both FO3 and FONV. I don't believe they're separate entities.

suicide.boy
Jul 25, 2001
Someone went and built a functional TARDIS/player home for New Vegas. It's not lore friendly in the slightest, but I am such a happy geek right now. Justified fast travel!

Click here for the full 1440x812 image.

link: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39661

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

A Lamer posted:

It seems like every time I :f5: this thread there is some lighting mod change that forces me to completely rethink my current setup. :arghfist::saddowns:

No poo poo right? It's like every time I leave my computer to go sleep or work or some poo poo and everyone plans around it for their mod release schedule :mad:

Now I gotta decide between WME and WMX too :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

suicide.boy posted:

Someone went and built a functional TARDIS/player home for New Vegas. It's not lore friendly in the slightest, but I am such a happy geek right now. Justified fast travel!

Click here for the full 1440x812 image.

link: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39661

In the Gibson Scrap Yard no less.

Awesome.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I've been having a lot of fun with modding this game but always thought something was lacking since Mart's Mutant Mod was never updated for New Vegas. After beating the game 4+ times I just want a massive, insane wasteland war to play through and MMM did that for me in F3.

Well I did some digging and found a pretty sweet alternative to MMM, Increased Wateland Spawns:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38623

I'm a few hours into it now and it's done exactly what I wanted it to do, put in a fuckton more enemies to kill. To give you an idea, before I left Goodpsrings I've killed about 50 giant rats. I also combined this with A World Of Pain and it took me about an hour to clear the Cigarette Factory of Geckos.

Next, I went on to Primm and there was a faction war going on between 30+ NCR troopers and about 2 dozen escaped convicts outside the roller coaster.

Yep, this is what I was looking for, highly recommended if you want to re-live MMM's insanity.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2011

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

potaties posted:

No poo poo right? It's like every time I leave my computer to go sleep or work or some poo poo and everyone plans around it for their mod release schedule :mad:

Why can't some creative goon just merge the two and flood the Mojave Wasteland with weapon mods?

On a related note, I'm considering using WMX, but I'm worried that its battle carbines would make Jaysus' M1 Garands obsolete.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

"suicide.boy” posted:

It's not lore friendly in the slightest…

So what? Seriously, you’re downloading mods. Lore friendliness should not be a requirement of a good mod, as the TARDIS proves.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Captain McStabbin posted:

Why can't some creative goon just merge the two and flood the Mojave Wasteland with weapon mods?

On a related note, I'm considering using WMX, but I'm worried that its battle carbines would make Jaysus' M1 Garands obsolete.

Unfortunately, you can't merge the two mods because the engine only allows three attachments per weapon (A, B, C) for a total of seven arrangements (A, B, C, AB, AC, BC, ABC) Some weapons would have 4, 5, or even 6 attachments between the two mods, which would create up to 721 (I think) combinations that would each require their own nif file.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've got my evil eye on this mod, so I can throw it up on the OP the minute it goes gold.

It could still take a while as he never modded the DLC textures and he says that New Vegas reused those, so it's much more work than with Fallout 3 (he also additionally redid some of his own textures because I guess this is how he rolls).

Also he's basically having a meltdown/nervous breakdown every 10 pages of comments - there are 170 pages and he replies to EACH COMMENT. Once some guy criticized his textures as not SEAMLESS ENOUGH - he almost cried, posted comparisons with Bethesda's textures proving that's their own modelling mistakes hidden by blurry textures and finally wrote a wall of text about shutting down the whole project.

Another time somebody reposted his texture packs 10 MONTHS after his release on fileserve - he raged about not having A TOTAL CONTROL over where his work is uploaded (basically about not controlling people's minds on the internet) - even though his readmes were intact and he was given all the credit - it was *gasp* an UNSUPERVISED mirror. He raged about not realeasing New Vegas textures EVER after that and making them just for himself in order to get into the game industry (like it's not better to release it as a top-download mod for the same purpose).

He changes his mind every goddamn time but geez I just hope his highness sticks to it and that we'll see the end result someday.

Hamboning
May 2, 2010
How does WMX interact with Arenovalis' texture packs? I'd love to upgrade all guns ever, but I'd like them to stay pretty.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

potaties posted:

I've spent the last 3 or so hours fiddling with Imaginator and Electro-City to get my lighting just right. Once I was reasonably satisfied with the result I made the mistake of checking out this thread, saw Nevada Skies - URWLified, tried it out, and discovered that it gives me an even better result than all that tweaking in practically it's default state. This time it seriously took me about 15 minutes of messing around with the Imaginator to get something better than what those 3 hours of tinkering produced. :sigh:

WMX has me sold just for its hunting revolver not having a scope by default and the non-unique versions of That Gun and This Machine. It's a bit too late for me start using it with my current character, but as soon as this play-through is done I'm definitely switching over from WME.

Japanese Bug Fights posted:

How does WMX interact with Arenovalis' texture packs? I'd love to upgrade all guns ever, but I'd like them to stay pretty.
The author had this to say in the mod description about compatibility patches for retex packs and I'm pretty sure he's talking about Arenovalis' stuff:

quote:

Q) What about texture replacers for the vanilla weapons? Are they compatible with WMX?
A) They will always work (technically speaking), but may result in weapons that have their textures changed by WMX weapon mods looking different to their unmodified variant (in that the texture replacer only affects the unmodified variant). A compatibility patch will usually be required in such cases. Note that at the time of writing I am currently waiting on permission to make a compatibility patch for one set of particularly popular weapon retexes (and if you're reading this you probably know whose work I'm talking about). Please don't spam me with questions about it.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
So a really annoying tech problem.

My audio is quiet and ignoring the audio sliders (except master slider). Also, it crashes (probably due to the audio hardware).

I am using the Realtek 3d audio on the motherboard. Anyway to fix this without buying a new audio card and disabling the old via bios?

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the download link that the FOMM page on the New Vegas Nexus links to. From personal experience, the current version of FOMM is a 2-in-1 utility that provides support for both FO3 and FONV. I don't believe they're separate entities.

Thanks, you're right no they aren't. UNTIL NOW! That code is a horrible incremental mess, I actually remember this utility from way back (probably Morrowind) it hasn't changed at all UI-wise. Anyway, I separated out the TESSnip from the rest of the FOMM but will probably roll my own and just be glad they defined the record types for me since it's still as awkward to use as ever plus huge bloat from incremental update from 1.1 I assume (as an example there is a defined struct Pair which I replaced with KeyValuePair rather than import the struct)

If anyone wants TESSnip by itself, enjoy the fruit of a half an hour of my labor:

Just the TESSnip.exe (and required xml): http://www.mediafire.com/?12m35d50idnai28
source: http://www.mediafire.com/?12m35d50idnai28

Palpek posted:

crazy mod guy
If you think about it though the level of OCD or autism that guy must have to even make those packs by himself unpaid is off the charts. They are insanely good but also insanely detailed. Look at the floor with the scuff marks etc. It's crazy and awesome.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 17, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Sorted.

ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esp
* The current load order of this mod does not match the current template

ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp

ELECTRO-CITY - Emittance.esp

ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp

LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp

URWLNV.esp

NSkies - URWLNV.esp (Inactive)

Is that good ? :unsmith:

Brace fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 17, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

quote:

My Weapon Mod Kits (WMK) mod for Fallout 3 was the inspiration for Obsidian's implementation of the weapon modding system in Fallout New Vegas; something which I am quite proud of and flattered by. I like Obsidian's take on it; enough that I wanted to add to it... 'expand' upon it, you might say.

Is that true or is the guy just full of himself?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

I deleted WME.esm, WME.esp, and MUW.esp(Moddable Unique Weps) in order to put WMX in, I didn't even activate WMX and my FNV crashes at start up :smith:

A crash at start-up is caused by an orphaned esp file. Are you SURE you got rid of everything that recalls the WME.esm? Do you have any plugins running that were made to work specifically with WME (such as a Better That Gun mod)?

Zenzirouj posted:

I believe this is fairly accurate. I know that the Hardcore mode Obsidian implemented was inspired by FWE, as well.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

I think rope kid made a post about using ideas from FO3 mods for features in New Vegas. Basically, they used ideas they liked, and implemented them in a much more efficient manner.

EDIT: Here's the post.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2011

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

The guy isn't full of himself, if anything he's graceful about it. He could be a total fuckhead and say 'hey that's MY idea they STOLE IT! arrrgh' but instead he says he's flattered.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Demerzel posted:

The guy isn't full of himself, if anything he's graceful about it. He could be a total fuckhead and say 'hey that's MY idea they STOLE IT! arrrgh' but instead he says he's flattered.

Seriously, how often are game developers actually gonna take user-made content and actually include it as a baseline feature? As far as I'm concerned that's almost unheard of

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Well my melee/Legion run was fun:

:911:

:black101::hist101:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there any way to make companions weapons not take condition damage? I'm using Infinite Companion Ammo so that I can have them use some better weapons, but the weapons break :smith:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

Is there any way to make companions weapons not take condition damage? I'm using Infinite Companion Ammo so that I can have them use some better weapons, but the weapons break :smith:

Do they actually take damage? I've been wondering the same thing but have only observed actual damage when the weapon they're carrying gets hit by the enemy (i.e, a deathclaw swipes the rifle out of Boone's hands and breaks it, or a Fiend shoots at him and hits the rifle.) Veronica put three or four hundred rounds through a Marskman Carbine I gave her and it didn't appear to wear down at all.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do they actually take damage? I've been wondering the same thing but have only observed actual damage when the weapon they're carrying gets hit by the enemy (i.e, a deathclaw swipes the rifle out of Boone's hands and breaks it, or a Fiend shoots at him and hits the rifle.) Veronica put three or four hundred rounds through a Marskman Carbine I gave her and it didn't appear to wear down at all.

I'm not sure, I think they do because I found a Tri-Beam laser rifle I gave one of them on the ground completely broken, but I'm not sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

I'm not sure, I think they do because I found a Tri-Beam laser rifle I gave one of them on the ground completely broken, but I'm not sure.

Oh that makes sense then: It's because it was damaged and knocked out of their hands. Your companions won't discard a broken weapon, they'll just use something else in their inventory (or default weapon.)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh that makes sense then: It's because it was damaged and knocked out of their hands. Your companions won't discard a broken weapon, they'll just use something else in their inventory (or default weapon.)

Are you using World of Pain? For some reason my companions won't use the "M" branded weapons.

Also I recommend World of Pain to ANYONE, it's easily the biggest mod I have, and I'm dungeon crawling all the time, tearing stuff up Doom Style with a riot shotgun and 3 companions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

Are you using World of Pain? For some reason my companions won't use the "M" branded weapons.

Also I recommend World of Pain to ANYONE, it's easily the biggest mod I have, and I'm dungeon crawling all the time, tearing stuff up Doom Style with a riot shotgun and 3 companions.

What is an "M" branded weapon? It sounds like something custom, and if so, companions probably won't use it (them?) because I believe they have a prescribed set of weapons that they can use...and I would assume these "M" weapons aren't on that list.

(Not using World of Pain, though.)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is an "M" branded weapon? It sounds like something custom, and if so, companions probably won't use it (them?) because I believe they have a prescribed set of weapons that they can use...and I would assume these "M" weapons aren't on that list.

(Not using World of Pain, though.)

Oh, you should, it's really one of the best mods out for New Vegas in my opinion, content-wise.

"M" weapons are from World of Pain, and they're just buffed up versions of regular weapons to help deal with the creatures in WoP

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
What's a good choice for a mod that drops relative player and NPC health, so there's less bullet-sponge stuff going on? Ideally it shouldn't break the game (make armor useless, or whatever) and it should be compatible with FNV Redesign.

Vita posted:

Does anyone know why my pistols have special names like "9mm Pistol (Beretta)"?

Just a guess, because I didn't see it on your list, but that sounds like what the Classic Fallout Weapons pack does (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37002)

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 17, 2011

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Palpek posted:

Stuff about the OCD retexture guy

I'm glad now that I never bothered to use this guy's stuff. I can't stand people who have this sort of attitude about modifications.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
Is there anything like this mod for New Vegas? It's the one mod I really miss. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

procitizen posted:

Is there anything like this mod for New Vegas? It's the one mod I really miss. :(

Here

Talkie Toaster is working on this. It allows you to recruit pretty much anybody, and get perks from them relevant to their skill group. Check it out.