Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I have a question - Why is Owen Lars so loving stupid? Why be a Moisture Farmer on a desert planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That DICK! posted:

I have a question - Why is Owen Lars so loving stupid? Why be a Moisture Farmer on a desert planet?

I'll bet he tried to leave but Obi-wan threatened to kill him if he left Tatooine.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

That DICK! posted:

it'd be dumber to be a moisture farmer on a water planet.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
A quick look at the Lars homestead seems to show that whatever moisture farming entails, it's pretty lucrative (compared to...whatever other people do on Tatooine) and he's probably fairly well-off. Sure, his house looks like a shithole dug into the desert to us, but it's an expansive underground shithole with it's own droid cleaning station and Jawa bartering stop. He's even able to afford a personal landspeeder for his indolent good-for-nothing nephew.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Because you don't want to/can't afford to go somewhere else and moisture would be a pretty valuable resource on a desert planet?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is better than whatever the hell his dad did that cost him a leg.

Come to think of it, why didn't Clegg Larrs just get a prosphetic leg instead of that undignifiying hover chair?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

That DICK! posted:

Uh, rare things sell for a lot more money than common things? Also it's just about the most common employment trope in planetary science fiction. Frank Herbert pretty much wrote an entire enormous and increasingly demented series of seminal novels about desert planet economics.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SeanBeansShako posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't Clegg Larrs just get a prosphetic leg instead of that undignifiying hover chair?

Because hover-chairs are awesome, that's why.:colbert:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, you'd think that even a fancy life-like prosthetic leg would cost less than a goddamn Professor-X chair.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Nobody in the Star Wars universe ever thought of doing that, obviously. Like paper.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Nobody in the Star Wars universe ever thought of doing that, obviously. Like paper.

Or like using firearms against the borg in star trek.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Evil_Urna posted:

Or like using firearms against the borg in star trek.
Technically, that wasn't even "not thinking of that possibility". It was "actively ignoring empirically backed effectiveness".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because he's a Tea Partier.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

That DICK! posted:

I seem to recall reading the ANH novelisation that for some reason, fog forms in certain regions of the desert and setting up a moisture farm in a good spot can make a reasonable amount of money.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's a horrible broken mess by this point, but blowing up the Death Star and killing the Emperor doesn't mean the Rebels won the war. I prefer to think of it as the turning point of the war. After Endor, the Rebels start winning.

Also that IG-88 crap, like most of the EU, I prefer to pretend doesn't exist. I can't believe that's actual cannon and not a "what if" story. The Reborn Emperor bullshit definitely devalues it, but the Warlords and Thrawn and stuff are okay.

I used to really dislike DE, but when I read it years I later I had more of an appreciation for its art style and the themes it laid out. And actually I think DE is one of the few EU things that the prequels actually helped 'validate' more. I mean, think about it - DE established that Palpatine had an interest in immortality, was tied to secret cloning work, was connected with the Sith, and that Vader had some big Sith prophecy/cult based around him, all of which were actually shored up rather than torn down by the prequels. I actually think that DE bringing back Boba Fett is more contrived and devaluing than it bringing back Palpatine was.

Although I will say that I think Dark Empire would work a lot better if it was set immediately after ROTJ like originally intended, rather than years later. Then you'd have the Empire immediately fracturing after Endor, the Rebels pushing on to Coruscant, and Palpatine immediately coming back in a clone body rather than being stuck in Force Hell for years while minions try to restore him, or whatever the backstory to DE was. Although I definitely don't blame Zahn for not wanting to rewrite his entire trilogy to accomodate Dark Empire after the fact.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That DICK! posted:

Well I don't think you're going to make much money as a moisture farmer on the Mon Calamari homeworld.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Just going to say from my own experience in the middle east, a desert can be completely devoid of water but the air can be absolutely humid as gently caress. I mean, you might as well be under water humid. Given that's probably what Tatooine was like, being able to make pure water from the air and sell it on a desert planet that people for some reason live on seems like a pretty good business venture to me. He is quite literally making money out of thin air.

Also, think about it. People now a days would rather pay to drink water from a bottle than walk 20 feet to the left to go to the water fountain. Which is free.

WHAT THE gently caress.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Now that I think of it, the driest town in the world is a place in the Atacama desert in, I think, Chile or Bolivia, where they get a lot of their moisture from large, fine nets strung up on hills above the town. Moist air from the Pacific blows inland and the water condenses on the nets. It's an old mining town on its way to becoming a ghost town. Most other towns in the region are already abandoned, and the young people all move out as soon as possible.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

That DICK! posted:

Because everyone else needs moisture. It's like being a weed farmer near Appalachian State University.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure there was something about that in the novelization.

In fact there is, he doesn't want to be "half-droid" because he's a racist.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

In fact there is, he doesn't want to be "half-droid" because he's a racist.

That would actually be awesome characterization.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

That would actually be awesome characterization.
And through this his son learns to hate space wizards because they're different.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 17, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

One of the last NJO books makes fun of this point about paper.

It ruled.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

And through this his son learns to hate space wizards because they're different.
Scratch that, it will come out later that he's a disguised Yuuzhan Vong spy, and he knocked up Shmi with a hybrid Vong/Jedi child that is the most powerful thing ever. Of course a big plotline like this will need a huge multi-author series with lots of Mandolorians, does anyone have Traviss's number?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I've decided, upon review, that the best part of the entire sorry mess that is the Star Wars Universe is Yoda being a huge dick to people who crash on Dagobah and throwing their poo poo into the swamp.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Casimir Radon posted:

Scratch that, it will come out later that he's a disguised Yuuzhan Vong spy, and he knocked up Shmi with a hybrid Vong/Jedi child that is the most powerful thing ever. Of course a big plotline like this will need a huge multi-author series with lots of Mandolorians, does anyone have Traviss's number?

Lucky for us, and Star Wars in general, she is tied up ruining the Halo franchise at the moment.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lucky for us, and Star Wars in general, she is tied up ruining the Halo franchise at the moment.

Don't forget the Gears of War series.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've decided, upon review, that the best part of the entire sorry mess that is the Star Wars Universe is Yoda being a huge dick to people who crash on Dagobah and throwing their poo poo into the swamp.

It could be worse, they could crash on Endor and have to be saved by Wilford Brimley. He eventually lumbers into action but your family will be dead by then.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It could be worse, they could crash on Endor and have to be saved by Wilford Brimley. He eventually lumbers into action but your family will be dead by then.

I must be stupid or forgetting something because I don't get this reference. What does Wilford Brimley have to do with Star Wars?

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I must be stupid or forgetting something because I don't get this reference. What does Wilford Brimley have to do with Star Wars?

You don't wanna know. Seriously. You will regret asking. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

lovely Ewok movies, Brimley needed to take his insulin or something.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Casimir Radon posted:

lovely Ewok movies, Brimley needed to take his insulin or something.

Haha, OK I just looked this up on youtube. How did I never know about this?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Haha, OK I just looked this up on youtube. How did I never know about this?
Just very lucky, until I came along :noir:

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the last NJO books makes fun of this point about paper.

It ruled.

Holy crap, I need more info on this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Holy crap, I need more info on this.
It comes out in one of the later books that the Chiss still use paper and books, and some commentary ensues. I think I've pulled enough answers out of my rear end for one night, and will now go to bed ashamed how much of this information is floating around in my skull.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For practical reasons, a hover chair is better than prosthetics on Tattooine. Look at Anakin's prosthetic arm. It looked very primitive and I believe he custom made it for himself. Now imagine being a relatively successful dude on a backwater planet. Get yourself fitted with a primitive leg from the nearest town's best shady doctor. drat thing would need a lot of maintenance considering all the sand. Repulsorlifts, on the other hand, don't seem to have much problem anywhere..

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Let's be honest, everyone here wants a hoverchair.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Wait a second... if the Jedi uniform wasn't established as Old Ben's robes from ANH until the prequels why do both he and Vader wear them as force ghosts in RoTJ?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Wait a second... if the Jedi uniform wasn't established as Old Ben's robes from ANH until the prequels why do both he and Vader wear them as force ghosts in RoTJ?

Because the costume department made a good deal with Robe Supply International.
I thought the robes - intended as "Jedi wear" from the OT on or not - quite a fitting style for a supposed monk-like order.

Although calling the stuff the Jedis wear in the PT uniform is a bit much anyway, since everyone wears very different style of robes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneOfNod
Nov 15, 2000
Stranger in a Strange Land

Slantedfloors posted:

A quick look at the Lars homestead seems to show that whatever moisture farming entails, it's pretty lucrative (compared to...whatever other people do on Tatooine) and he's probably fairly well-off. Sure, his house looks like a shithole dug into the desert to us, but it's an expansive underground shithole with it's own droid cleaning station and Jawa bartering stop. He's even able to afford a personal landspeeder for his indolent good-for-nothing nephew.

The real estate's cheaper and taxes are lower near the Jundland Wastes compared Mos Eisley. Of course, there is the Tusken Raider problem.