Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Okay, I'll start a discussion thread and if we can get, like, at least 10 people interested--which might not happen based on TBB's unfortunate history with high-participation/low-Orc-content threads--then I think it's worth a try.

I want to find a few online resources for people to use and stuff like that. It's my first week of classes so I'm kind of busy but I'll post something in the next few days. I don't pretend to have any expert or advanced knowledge of poetry, so if someone else wants to start things off before I get around to it, I won't be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

Facial Fracture posted:

Okay, I'll start a discussion thread and if we can get, like, at least 10 people interested--which might not happen based on TBB's unfortunate history with high-participation/low-Orc-content threads--then I think it's worth a try.

I want to find a few online resources for people to use and stuff like that. It's my first week of classes so I'm kind of busy but I'll post something in the next few days. I don't pretend to have any expert or advanced knowledge of poetry, so if someone else wants to start things off before I get around to it, I won't be mad.

Please do! I've got a couple I'd love to sit and have in-depth discussion on.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

LooseChanj posted:

Wanted to call attention to some new (to TBB) thread tags: , and separate and tags. So if you were refraining from posting cuz there wasn't a tag appropriate hopefully there's a little less pressure now! :cheers:

Thank god for this. I love fantasy, but hate sci-fi. I've always hated how they're lumped together.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So, is anyone looking forward to books in the new year?

The three authors that I have my eyes on are all putting out books in 2011, hopefully: Aravind Adiga, Markus Zusak, and Michael Chabon.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm kind of anticipating The Pale King, but I also probably won't read it until it comes out in paperback.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Chamberk posted:

The three authors that I have my eyes on are all putting out books in 2011, hopefully: Aravind Adiga, Markus Zusak, and Michael Chabon.

Looking forward to Wise Man's Fear (Patrick Rothfuss) and Ghost Story (Jim Butcher).

I feel like there's something else I should be looking forward to that I forgot about, but can't put a finger on what it is.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I can't wait for this http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Year-Fell-Love-Went/dp/0805093230/

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

I just can't get myself to pre-order something that will be shipped instantly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I can't wait either. Vacation was so good.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
e: gently caress wrong thread :(

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chamberk posted:

Besides the previously mentioned Wise Man's Fear and Ghost Story, I'm also looking forward to The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, Ashes of a Black Forest by Chris Evans, and the new edition of Grimscribe: His Lives and Works by Thomas Ligotti.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Nice, I didn't realize she had a new book coming. I pre-ordered it because I'll probably forget about it and it'll be a nice surprise when it comes in the mail.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

coyo7e posted:

I picked up the first book in Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy right before Christmas, and upon finishing it, I immediately rushed to the store and got the other two. It's a fairly new trilogy and it's a pretty rollicking good time of a pulp fantasy novel about assassins and thieves' guilds and battles and politics, I was wondering if anybody else had read them yet? The author has a lot of strong twists which caught me off guard, and I'm looking forward to finishing the third book this week.

Anybody else checked these out? I've quite enjoyed them so far and am looking forward to more work by the author as he just published the first book in a new series, which seems to be set in the same world.

The author occasionally goes on long, 'breathless' run-on sentences but I'm pretty pleased with his writing overall, it's a lot better quality than a lot of sword-and-sorcery stuff I've read.

Yeah, I really liked these a lot. I just finished his newest book, which is the start of a longer series, I think. It was even better. It's called The Black Prism. Both the wife and I loved it.

The first Mistborn book by Brandon Sanderson has a similar feel to it, and I'm really liking it as well. They all three have an interesting novel magic system that is pretty cool to discover, and the worlds feel well developed and thought out.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Does anyone have any experience in getting a book published? Ive googled around a bit, but are there any first hand goon stories about what you went through?

I have an acquaintance who wants me to translate this fantasy book he wrote into English so it can get published. He wants to split profits from the book sales, but until that I wont be getting paid. I dont really want to jump into something I dont know much about, especially since I have to completely finish before I see a return on my time.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I am about half way through The Count of Monte Cristo, enjoying it so far but some times it gets confusing with so many different characters and all the relationships intertwining. Completely missed some of the relevancy until much further on, for example I wasn't sure what connection Franz had with the story and the past and only just realised he is the son of the murdered general.

Also the Morcerfs threw me as well. Only had it spelled out to me now that Fernand is Albert's father, mind blown! Now I see why the count had been getting so friendly with him.

Haha also all the Mde.M and M. get confusing too! And I am not sure who Countess G- is meant to be, I thought she must be Mercedes but wouldn't that make her Albert's mother? So confusing!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Txiuct posted:

Does anyone have any experience in getting a book published? Ive googled around a bit, but are there any first hand goon stories about what you went through?

I have an acquaintance who wants me to translate this fantasy book he wrote into English so it can get published. He wants to split profits from the book sales, but until that I wont be getting paid. I dont really want to jump into something I dont know much about, especially since I have to completely finish before I see a return on my time.

Here you go.

99.9% of submitted manuscripts don't get published, so I wouldn't waste my time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Txiuct posted:

Unless it's like a done deal and he's got someone who wants to publish it already (but isn't willing to translate it? hrm) then you're wasting your time if you're not getting paid up front. Even then, splitting profits you probably won't get anything even vaguely close to minimum wage.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

I am about half way through The Count of Monte Cristo, enjoying it so far but some times it gets confusing with so many different characters and all the relationships intertwining. Completely missed some of the relevancy until much further on, for example I wasn't sure what connection Franz had with the story and the past and only just realised he is the son of the murdered general.

Also the Morcerfs threw me as well. Only had it spelled out to me now that Fernand is Albert's father, mind blown! Now I see why the count had been getting so friendly with him.

Haha also all the Mde.M and M. get confusing too! And I am not sure who Countess G- is meant to be, I thought she must be Mercedes but wouldn't that make her Albert's mother? So confusing!

Sometimes in 19th Century fiction when a popular public figure or celebrity is showing up in a story the author will censor their name with a dash. The audience totally knows who it is whilst the author doesn't get into trouble. I like to think that Countess G- was a well known Countess of the time, well known for her opera box shenanigans :)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chamberk posted:

Reamde by Neal Stephenson, unfortunately it appears that nothing new has come out about it since early last year.

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010
Sorry, answered my own question.

dream owl fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 17, 2011

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just a heads up for any James Ellroy fans in TBB - Ellroy is hosting a six-part series called LA: City of Demons on the Investigation Discovery channel. First episode airs tomorrow at 10 PM.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I read The Devil You Know a few months back and also the first sequel to it, and thought I should drop a recommend in here for it.

The premise (iirc) is that one day, the dead just sort of started coming back to life and magic and stuff just began to work - mostly for specific people. The protagonist is a medium with the ability to see and sometimes communicate with the spirits of the dead and similar ethereal apparitions, and he ends up with a sort of Private Eye cum Exterminator job - very Ghostbusters-esque without the laugh reel, but with the problems paying the bills.

The books I read were funny and dark and fairly timely, and I'd strongly recommend them to anybody who likes a bit of fantasy mixed in with their detective novels.

There is a subplot which revolves around (minor spoiler) Eastern European/Soviet organized crime and some of the stuff they do to make a buck, which may be distressing to some readers.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 19, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Has anyone read "War is a Force That Gives us Meaning"?

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Hey LooseChanj, what's this months topic for the book poll?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

kapalama posted:

Has anyone read "War is a Force That Gives us Meaning"?

No, but I saw the guy give the lecture version of it once. It was pretty intense.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

knees of putty posted:

Hey LooseChanj, what's this months topic for the book poll?

The next five books mentioned, one book per post, in this thread!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Julio Cortazar - Hopscotch

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Robert Montgomery Bird - Sheppard Lee, Written by Himself

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Don Quixote

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Princess Bride - William Goldman

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Changed my post to that because it is a better idea.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 22, 2011

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I wanted to post a Terry Goodkind book so bad but I didn't.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

A book of nudie pictures what are printed off the internet.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Literally anything other than Dune or The Princess Bride.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
How about Rabelais?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Facial Fracture posted:

Literally anything other than Dune or The Princess Bride.

What the hell is wrong with you?

That said I would probably vote for Let the Right One In because I've been meaning to read that for about a year.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm probably somewhat late on this, but I only just found out about the Library of America's story of the week: every week, they post something from one of their collections, be it an essay, short story or something else. It's a neat project and there's a lot of interesting stuff in it's archives (and some good stories in those links).

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 23, 2011

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

IRQ posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?
I agree. Let's just watch Monty Python movies for book club from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There isn't a thread for The Road, but I have a question:

SERIOUS SPOILERS

srsly u guise, spoilers below

So at the end, after Papa succumbs to the infection, the kid miraculously finds a loving family to take him in so he can play with other kids.

srsly, stop reading if you haven't read The Road

He killed himself, right? He used the last bullet so he could go to Heaven, but The Road has hosed up the kid so bad that the best Heaven he can conceive is a hardscrabble life of scrounging with other people, because any human contact is better than nothing.

Am I close?