Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ExecuDork posted:

I'm worried that I'm becoming my family's go-to photographer when I'm around, and something similar is happening at work. At the department christmas party, it was announced early in the evening that since I clearly had the nicest / largest camera there, I was the event photog. On christmas day, similar story.

Now my coworkers are bugging me for the party pics, and my mom wants me to email her the christmas pictures ASAP. The problem is, I still basically suck at this and I'm frankly not very happy with many of the pictures I took - I keep blowing focus, or miss-judging the boundaries of my depth of field, or not paying attention to what's in the background behind my subjects (e.g. my uncle's hands behind my cousin's head, or trees / poles / doorframes coming out of people's heads).

Given I can't reshoot these event photos, does anyone have any suggestions for a quick-and-dirty cleanup procedure that goes some way to hiding these issues? Is there a mask technique that blurs or darkens backgrounds without making the photo look really dumb? I don't have Lightroom, but I plan on getting it sooner-or-later so this might be the issue that pushes me over the edge on that purchase.

You're probably gonna have to suck it up and post 3 or 4 so people can see what is salvageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Given I can't reshoot these event photos, does anyone have any suggestions for a quick-and-dirty cleanup procedure that goes some way to hiding these issues? Is there a mask technique that blurs or darkens backgrounds without making the photo look really dumb? I don't have Lightroom, but I plan on getting it sooner-or-later so this might be the issue that pushes me over the edge on that purchase.

Just use the "Salvage photo" button in Photoshop CS6. :rimshot:

For earlier versions there are a few things you can try depending on how bad the image is: crop the image to get rid of junk at the sides or blurry people. If your photos end up on 4x6 prints then you can stand to lose a lot of the image without reducing the print quality, e.g. a picture in landscape orientation could be chopped down the middle and then you only use the good half in portrait orientation.

Missed focus can be slightly hidden by scaling down the photo, e.g. only give out 800x600 pics even if your source image is much bigger. Aggressive sharpening (Smart Sharpen filter in PS) can also hide it a bit.

For hiding background stuff create a copy of your images and apply a blur filter. Then use layer masks so that foreground parts of the original unblurred photo can peek through the blurred background. Use a similar technique but instead of blurring, darken the photo. Then with a layer mask let the good stuff in the center come through while junk at the edges is darker and less distracting.

If all else fails, use Clone Stamp and replace bad pixels with good ones.

All the above things can be done with any decent photo editor not just Photoshop.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ThisQuietReverie posted:

You're probably gonna have to suck it up and post 3 or 4 so people can see what is salvageable.
Good point. I'll move this to the Post Processing thread, since it now seems like a more appropriate place for this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912&pagenumber=47

Cross_ posted:

If all else fails, use Clone Stamp and replace bad pixels with good ones.

All the above things can be done with any decent photo editor not just Photoshop.
Oh yes, I've been getting plenty of practice lately with the clone tool... stupid sensor dust.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

ExecuDork posted:

I'm worried that I'm becoming my family's go-to photographer when I'm around, and something similar is happening at work. At the department christmas party, it was announced early in the evening that since I clearly had the nicest / largest camera there, I was the event photog. On christmas day, similar story.

Now my coworkers are bugging me for the party pics, and my mom wants me to email her the christmas pictures ASAP. The problem is, I still basically suck at this and I'm frankly not very happy with many of the pictures I took - I keep blowing focus, or miss-judging the boundaries of my depth of field, or not paying attention to what's in the background behind my subjects (e.g. my uncle's hands behind my cousin's head, or trees / poles / doorframes coming out of people's heads).

Do you have photoshop? If not, download GIMP. Masking with selective blur is certainly possible, just be careful with it. Unsharp mask might be able to salvage some things too... and if they just want facebook pics, you'll have much more leeway with destructive editing than you would if these were for print.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I too hate this and feel your frustration.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
A helpful tip: don't bring your camera to the office Christmas party.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RangerScum posted:

A helpful tip: don't bring your camera to the office Christmas party.

I respectfully disagree: photos of the boss and his secretary helped me get my promotion.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pro tip: explaining that you'd like your photography to stay a hobby instead of feeling like a job also goes a long way. This does require talking to people.

StrikerJ
Oct 8, 2001

[removed, posted in wrong thread]

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Do you have photoshop? If not, download GIMP. Masking with selective blur is certainly possible, just be careful with it. Unsharp mask might be able to salvage some things too... and if they just want facebook pics, you'll have much more leeway with destructive editing than you would if these were for print.
I've got GIMP, and I'm running a trial version of Lightroom, too. I'm not exactly skilled with either program, but I would like to view this as a chance to improve my photography, through the PP side of it.

My mom said she wants the pictures specifically to send out prints to everyone. Presumably this means 4x6, but larger is entirely possible.

spf3million posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I too hate this and feel your frustration.
Thanks. I know I posted a bit of a whine, sorry about that.

evil_bunnY posted:

Pro tip: explaining that you'd like your photography to stay a hobby instead of feeling like a job also goes a long way. This does require talking to people.
AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaahhh!!! *deep breath* *deep breath*
I suppose I could try this. My efforts in this direction have so far been mostly passive-aggressive, such as telling my coworkers their foreheads are too drat shiny. I doubt this is effective.

Also, I got my first "you camera takes nice pictures" comment on my Facebook, though it was from a good friend of mine who might have said it knowing full well what it means, just to bug me.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

ExecuDork posted:

I've got GIMP, and I'm running a trial version of Lightroom, too. I'm not exactly skilled with either program, but I would like to view this as a chance to improve my photography, through the PP side of it.

My mom said she wants the pictures specifically to send out prints to everyone. Presumably this means 4x6, but larger is entirely possible.

A 900px * 600px file would be 150dpi at 4x6, might be enough. 1800px*1200px would be proper print quality for that size, so either way, you can still get away with quite a bit of shrinking and sharpening. Don't worry too much about the compositional merits and background junk if they're just 4x6 candid party shots that you're not selling, anything that looks better than a drugstore point-and-shoot print should hopefully satisfy 'em.

(unless they're paying you for that gig, of course)

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2011

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
What the heck, camera meters are not actually calibrated to 18% gray ? Why didn't anybody tell me ? :argh:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Cross_ posted:

What the heck, camera meters are not actually calibrated to 18% gray ? Why didn't anybody tell me ? :argh:
Either you are doing something wrong or your camera is broken. Are you sure that when you photographed the card it was under the same lighting conditions as your subject and you weren't casting a shadow on it? You also have to realize that the card represents a neutral environment and depending on the subject/lighting/contrast range you might end up bumping the exposure in some direction. Also make sure you set your correct white balance before setting exposure.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cross_ posted:

Check your metering mode.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
This is based on something that was pointed out to me in a different photo forum. Apparently camera meters are calibrated according to ANSI to 12% gray which is why a few 18% gray cards had a note saying to apply 1/2 stop EC after spot metering. More info:
http://www.bythom.com/graycards.htm
http://www.richardhess.com/photo/18no.htm

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

My friends bug the poo poo out of me to post pictures on Facebook (nobody understands it's not just plugging a camera in and clicking "upload all") and it's turned photography into enough of a chore that I just leave my camera at home the majority of the time.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

A 900px * 600px file would be 150dpi at 4x6, might be enough. 1800px*1200px would be proper print quality for that size, so either way, you can still get away with quite a bit of shrinking and sharpening. Don't worry too much about the compositional merits and background junk if they're just 4x6 candid party shots that you're not selling, anything that looks better than a drugstore point-and-shoot print should hopefully satisfy 'em.

(unless they're paying you for that gig, of course)
People who bug you about family and office party photos are either going to email them or print them out on their $50 inkjet at home at 72dpi.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Cross_ posted:

This is based on something that was pointed out to me in a different photo forum. Apparently camera meters are calibrated according to ANSI to 12% gray which is why a few 18% gray cards had a note saying to apply 1/2 stop EC after spot metering. More info:
http://www.bythom.com/graycards.htm
http://www.richardhess.com/photo/18no.htm
I've heard a few times from different people that digital things were set to 15%, but as many of my teachers told me; it doesn't matter what anyone says, you need to test your own equipment. To give an example: In Av mode my Rebel XT will put a gray card a full stop below center while my T2i will put it dead center. Why? I don't know and really I don't care. What is important is that it is consistent. It's a benchmark.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask a Photoshop question, so if I'm mistaken please send me in the right direction. :) Today I am having trouble saving transparency with *.png files. I can see the checkerboard in the window, but the *.png backgrounds appear white in Final Cut. On the other hand, *.psd files work fine! Is there a preference or setting I'm missing here?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Have you saved the file and reopened it? Some programs (windows preview included) won't display transparency properly. If you open it in a browser or again in photoshop it should work.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Check your Final Cut import settings for something about preserving alpha channels, sometimes software will strip 'extra' information from the files when it brings them in.

Windows is bad at transparency in general so it might be some weird issue with that.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Toothy posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask a Photoshop question, so if I'm mistaken please send me in the right direction. :) Today I am having trouble saving transparency with *.png files. I can see the checkerboard in the window, but the *.png backgrounds appear white in Final Cut. On the other hand, *.psd files work fine! Is there a preference or setting I'm missing here?

There should be a checkbox for "layers" which lately I've been forgetting to check off before saving.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Check your Final Cut import settings for something about preserving alpha channels, sometimes software will strip 'extra' information from the files when it brings them in.

Windows is bad at transparency in general so it might be some weird issue with that.

What? Is this some kind of apple-user "common sense" thing? Because I have never had trouble with windows and transparency issues. Now, Adobe made a lovely version of their TGA exporter for photoshop 7, but that's it.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I admit I almost never use Windows, but overlaying transparent files in various tethering software has been a rare but reoccurring problem I have run into for years that never happens in their Mac counterparts. It sometimes just doesn't work :iiam:

Of course this is probably because all versions of most tethering software loving sucks in a lot of ways on both Mac and Windows.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

I admit I almost never use Windows, but overlaying transparent files in various tethering software has been a rare but reoccurring problem I have run into for years that never happens in their Mac counterparts. It sometimes just doesn't work :iiam:

Of course this is probably because all versions of most tethering software loving sucks in a lot of ways on both Mac and Windows.

DSLR Remote Pro has been good to me so far, but admittedly all I've used it for is copystand work.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Working in the web world, Microsoft is notorious for not having previously supported PNG files properly. Until fairly recently, they didn't support alpha transparency at all in Internet Explorer.

I don't think this is somehow just "mac people common sense" but a reality of the Microsoft history.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

It bothers me that the model looks down at the camera and half-closes her eyes at the wide end. Kinda distorts the comparison.

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
I feel like a total idiot, but I bought some matte photo paper (Canon mp-101) and I can't tell which side is the photo side. One side is feels slightly slicker than the other side. I may have printed my first 13x19 on the wrong side of the photo paper! Any help would be appreciated!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

downtown_man posted:

I feel like a total idiot, but I bought some matte photo paper (Canon mp-101) and I can't tell which side is the photo side. One side is feels slightly slicker than the other side. I may have printed my first 13x19 on the wrong side of the photo paper! Any help would be appreciated!

Kiss it.

Well, stick a corner in your mouth, top lip on one side, bottom lip on the reserve.

Your lip will stick to the photo-sensitive side.

Plus, for some of us, it may be the only bit of french kissing we get all week.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Should I have my Color Space set to Adobe RGB or sRGB? I usually process my pictures in Lightroom, and by process I mean usually just fix the poor white balance.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Erfsom posted:

Should I have my Color Space set to Adobe RGB or sRGB? I usually process my pictures in Lightroom, and by process I mean usually just fix the poor white balance.

If you have an aRGB monitor and an aRGB printer and you moslty plan to print them out, then set it to aRGB

If not, then sRGB is better.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spog posted:

Kiss it.

Well, stick a corner in your mouth, top lip on one side, bottom lip on the reserve.

Your lip will stick to the photo-sensitive side.

Plus, for some of us, it may be the only bit of french kissing we get all week.
FYI if you use an inkjet the moisture will ruin that corner of the print.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

GWBBQ posted:

FYI if you use an inkjet the moisture will ruin that corner of the print.

Ruin? Or creatively enhance? The artist has just personally, uniquely identified that print as a genuine one-of-a-kind masterpiece!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Erfsom posted:

In-camera? If you're shooting raw, it makes absolutely no difference. The way the histogram is rendered will change, but the file's identical either way.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 17, 2011

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

If you are shooting jpg then you should use adobe RGB as it is a larger color space. You can always convert it to sRGB (and should) for output that will only be viewed on a monitor but there is no good reason to drop your file into a smaller color space in camera.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

spog posted:

If you have an aRGB monitor and an aRGB printer and you moslty plan to print them out, then set it to aRGB

Adobe RGB is not a device color space so it doesn't really work that way.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

brad industry posted:

Adobe RGB is not a device color space so it doesn't really work that way.

Yeah, but my point is that if your monitor is only capable of displaying the sRGB gamut only, editing an aRGB image is going to be a bit tricky.

And if your printer only can print out the sRGB gamut, unless your end use is to have images only viewed on your aRGB-capable monitor, rather then printed out, then you would be much better working in sRGB.

EDIT: to clarify my clarification: aRGB does have benefits, but you have to have the right setup to take advantage of it - otherwise you will most likely end up with some icky aRGB-sRGB conversion that screws things up. sRGB is the safe choice that will always work.

spog fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2011

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I got a pretty cool glass photograph as a gift and don't really know what to do with it. It's not a negative image, so I guess its a glass positive? I'm not sure. How can I tell exactly what type of image it is and if I can display it. Someone told me that I should keep it out of light.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I couldn't find a better one.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Sounds like an ambrotype:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrotype

Perhaps the gift-giver can confirm, but if it's an ambrotype, it's a product of the wet-plate collodion process and if it was properly processed is probably more archival than film (light shouldn't hurt it). I would find a frame that has a bit of depth to it and place a sheet of something black behind it. Traditionally this was black velvet but I've spray painted thin sheets of metal or wood and sandwiched the plate between it and the frame, emulsion side in. If it's a tight squeeze you can also remove the original glass from the frame altogether and leave the glass side of the image exposed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Citizen Scheibe posted:

Sounds like an ambrotype:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrotype

Perhaps the gift-giver can confirm, but if it's an ambrotype, it's a product of the wet-plate collodion process and if it was properly processed is probably more archival than film (light shouldn't hurt it). I would find a frame that has a bit of depth to it and place a sheet of something black behind it. Traditionally this was black velvet but I've spray painted thin sheets of metal or wood and sandwiched the plate between it and the frame, emulsion side in. If it's a tight squeeze you can also remove the original glass from the frame altogether and leave the glass side of the image exposed.

I'm not sure it's one of those because when I sat it on a black background I couldn't see the image. I took a picture of it backlit in the window, if that helps.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

edit: as for the gift giver, he got it at an auction and when I asked him he wasn't completely clear on the whole "what is it exactly" issue.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

guys oh no they're on to us