Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there no live show today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziglol
Oct 13, 2006

I think this is my favorite Gary blow up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYIDjfpdZM#t=7m05s

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Take your time to view this and pay your respects to the miserable little midget.

RIP Eric :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0v6immGcXE

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

LAWLandMine posted:

Is there no live show today?

On a bank holiday? Never!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I am enjoying the "Best Of" they have on 101 each day. I hope they keep that up.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Take your time to view this and pay your respects to the miserable little midget.

That is a work of art.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Crotch Bat posted:

Wtf? Is he dead?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Graviton v2 posted:

Wtf? Is he dead?

You've been Richard Christy'd

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

MIDGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Regarding whether or not the interviews are fake, I do think some of the "guests" do sound alike. The guy from the Kirk Douglas/Crackhead Bob interview sounds a lot like the guy from the Dick Clark one. I don't necessarily think they're faking the whole thing. They may do an interview with a book author, but get a voice actor to redo the whole thing since they can't get the okay from the original person. I have my doubts about this since you'd figure they'd make everyone sign something beforehand to give Sirus the right to do anything they drat well please. On the other hand, maybe they're so afraid of getting sued like Sacha Baron Cohen that they re-record them. Then again, why not just do that with the calls they can't get permission on?

There was a time when Artie alluded to big secret about Sal's clock call that people speculated that meant that it was fake. Howard also admitted to "sweetening" things like Stuttering John's stuttering to make it sound worse than it did.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Uggh, curiosity got the best of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdajvNkZN0U

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sizzlechest posted:

Regarding whether or not the interviews are fake, I do think some of the "guests" do sound alike. The guy from the Kirk Douglas/Crackhead Bob interview sounds a lot like the guy from the Dick Clark one. I don't necessarily think they're faking the whole thing. They may do an interview with a book author, but get a voice actor to redo the whole thing since they can't get the okay from the original person. I have my doubts about this since you'd figure they'd make everyone sign something beforehand to give Sirus the right to do anything they drat well please. On the other hand, maybe they're so afraid of getting sued like Sacha Baron Cohen that they re-record them. Then again, why not just do that with the calls they can't get permission on?

There was a time when Artie alluded to big secret about Sal's clock call that people speculated that meant that it was fake. Howard also admitted to "sweetening" things like Stuttering John's stuttering to make it sound worse than it did.

Prank Calls are legal in some states, and to some states, mainly the ones with the no consent needed to record. But the way the Jack and Rodd show is setup, it wouldn't be illegal if they call you and you tell them they are doing a show. These people call into a "show" hoping to promote their books. Everyone knows they are being recorded, no consent needs to be given.

I suppose, the only fake thing is I think Sal and Richard just cut up and edit things, and re-record their lines to make funnier calls. So it is a bit of a mix, most likely. I don't think they fake the whole thing, more so to the extent of hiring a voice actor on Sirius horrible budget.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
A thread on SFN claims that Howard is going to be taking all Mondays off starting in March. It's SFN, so take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Uggh, curiosity got the best of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdajvNkZN0U
She is great, total pro, but I just cant help looking at her massive chest. She needs another reduction.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sizzlechest posted:

I remember a while ago them saying that Richard had the ability to talk to these people, calm them down, and then get their permission to play the call. Things like that Blue Iris call where the old lady says "I'll gently caress you with my shotgun".

He's also said that there is a collection of really good calls but they can't play them because certain people won't give permission.

In the early 90s, the local guys I listened to used to prank call people all the time. They had to stop because management was too scared someone would drop the F bomb and it might get out on the air. I also seem to remember someone saying that the FCC wouldn't allow it anymore.

Bubba has also spoken a few times on this regarding Ned's calls. He eluded to the fact that they had to pay the person a "fee" in order to air them so it's easier to just fake it. If you listen to most of Ned's calls, the female "receptionist" voice is almost always the same.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Sizzlechest posted:

Regarding whether or not the interviews are fake, I do think some of the "guests" do sound alike. The guy from the Kirk Douglas/Crackhead Bob interview sounds a lot like the guy from the Dick Clark one.

The wacky theories never end do they? Listen to the two calls again and tell me this is the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SkZYDth1wQ#t=1m22s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2d3d76RGes#t=2m44

It's not like you even need to listen to the calls because you can find those guests and the books they were promoting with simple googling:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hollywood-Be-Thy-Name/Jeff-Lawrence/e/9781598001556

http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Aged-Dating-Again-Blake/dp/1575024233

Unless people think Sal and Richard are such comedy masterminds that they invented the books too.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Former Human posted:

It's not like you even need to listen to the calls because you can find those guests and the books they were promoting with simple googling:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hollywood-Be-Thy-Name/Jeff-Lawrence/e/9781598001556

http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Aged-Dating-Again-Blake/dp/1575024233

Unless people think Sal and Richard are such comedy masterminds that they invented the books too.

Did you even bother to read what I wrote before sperging out?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah, and? You think the people sound alike (when they really don't), but it could be a "voice actor" (but not necessarily the same voice actor) because Sal and Richard might edit the calls with other people for some reason and...

You're right, that makes perfect sense.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Let's not forget drugged out pissed off Artie calling out Sal for faking his crank calls.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Kelly posted:

I am enjoying the "Best Of" they have on 101 each day. I hope they keep that up.

I had no idea they even played Howard material on 101, I haven't listened in years. I always thought it was Bubba, Farrell or whatever the gently caress. Good to know!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Evil Agita posted:

Let's not forget drugged out pissed off Artie calling out Sal for faking his crank calls.

Or calling out Teddy for "robbing his money" (whatever that meant) and a ton of other elaborate stories.

I think we need a psych test for this thread not unlike what Howard and the crew are doing this week. If you think Howard wears a wig, got a tummy tuck, or the phone calls use actors, you might be crazier than Robin.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Evil Agita posted:

I vaguely recall something about this. Do you have a clip?

E: Not that I care really. The "how many inches of cock are outside of her vagina" "riddle" holds up either way.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I vaguely recall something about this. Do you have a clip?

E: Not that I care really. The "how many inches of cock are outside of her vagina" "riddle" holds up either way.

Isn't this the same day he threw the CD at Sal?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Smeep posted:

I had no idea they even played Howard material on 101, I haven't listened in years. I always thought it was Bubba, Farrell or whatever the gently caress. Good to know!

They just started doing so at the beginning of the year (no more Bubba on H101 at 3:00).

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Former Human posted:

I think we need a psych test for this thread not unlike what Howard and the crew are doing this week. If you think Howard wears a wig, got a tummy tuck, or the phone calls use actors, you might be crazier than Robin.

Pot calling the kettle black ITT

Also, Howard totally dyes his hair.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Evil Agita posted:

In which way? It's crazy to think those wacky baseless theories about the show AREN'T true? I mean feel free to elaborate on that instead of using a throwaway line.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Evil Agita posted:

Also, Howard totally dyes his hair.

I've never been in the wig camp, but I would bet a huge sum of money that he dyes his hair.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Butthole Prince posted:

A thread on SFN claims that Howard is going to be taking all Mondays off starting in March. It's SFN, so take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

I'd be more shocked if they stopped doing Mondays as of this week. Wasn't the 'flexible schedule' going to start in mid-January? I thought I remembered that from the 12/12 Re-signing broadcast.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Aside from the things the cast do personally, I really suspend disbelief with the show or else I'd be a crazed idiot always looking for stuff they create purely for radio.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Howard dyes his hair. I don't listen as much anymore, but last year (maybe 2 years ago) he mentioned about how he locks his condoms up from Beth. He mentioned it again when Robin brought it up like a week later. Also he made the Asian nail person come to his house and sign a release about not telling anyone he had his nails done, then got mad when she wanted some more money to come out at do it again. He hasn't bought his staff any Christmas gifts for the last 3(?) years. Guy is a major weirdo cheapskate, and it makes me laugh (at him, not with him). These are my Stern opinions.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I remember watching the Behind the Scenes special with Richard and Sal on HowardTV when they explained the process for making the prank calls

They edit the calls to be as short as possible (Stern hates any call that is over a certain point - I believe its 5 mins as he always labours the point "it runs over 5 mins")

They explained the need for consent and that they do a lot of calls where either it doesn't work (Bill mays calls garry the retard or the Christian Bale calls a lighting shop) or they don't get consent.

As somebody explained, its all fair when its jack and rod as they know its a show.

I am 90% certain the calls are legit but as ever SA has me doubting the sky is blue and the sea is green

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I've always wondered what Howard would look like if he just dived into a pool and stood up, hair soaked and not so frizzy, his baggy swimsuit coat with boots sticking to his thin frame, his skin hanging off his skull, I'd imagine he would be pretty thin in his hair if it wasn't curled and frizzed up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Evil Agita posted:

Also he made the Asian nail person come to his house and sign a release about not telling anyone he had his nails done, then got mad when she wanted some more money to come out at do it again.

This is pretty much when I knew I was done with the show. He told that story a while ago. She wanted more money because the price of gas went up. Howard thought she was shaking him down because she thought he was a rock star or something.

You know Howard, maybe...just maybe she knew you had money when she walked into your 2000 sqft Manhattan apartment to trim your fingernails, a service that people do themselves or they leave their house to get done.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 18, 2011

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I wonder if an Oprah thread turns into this.

"Oprah Winfrey: negro woman from the south."
"Sources plz."
"She's an African American woman..."
"SHE DYES HER SKIN!"

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Howard pays a woman to come to his house and do his nails?? How did I miss this?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Smeep posted:

Howard pays a woman to come to his house and do his nails?? How did I miss this?

Wow Howard...that's pretty drat gay.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Smeep posted:

It was a whole thing sometime last year. But yeah, Bonzo hit the nail right on the head.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Smeep posted:

He did, didn't he? I heard he fired her because she was out to rip him off, and raised his rates once she found out who he was, never mind that anyone taking a nail kit to rich kid land to clip toenails would have a pretty good idea she is working with a rich pampered person.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

He did, didn't he? I heard he fired her because she was out to rip him off, and raised his rates once she found out who he was, never mind that anyone taking a nail kit to rich kid land to clip toenails would have a pretty good idea she is working with a rich pampered person.

What's funny is that he always goes on about how he tips 100% of the bill when he eats out because he knows if he doesn't people will label him as a jerk and a cheapskate.

Oh and the reason he had someone come to the house to clip his nails? Beth started doing it for him but was soon disgusted by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Bonzo posted:

What's funny is that he always goes on about how he tips 100% of the bill when he eats out because he knows if he doesn't people will label him as a jerk and a cheapskate.

Oh and the reason he had someone come to the house to clip his nails? Beth started doing it for him but was soon disgusted by it.

Didn't he also say that the reason he doesn't do it himself is because he's disgusted by it himself?