Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I took a look at a few of them and felt the same thing about simply darkening the existing texture, and for the most part that's exactly what he did. He did sharpen a couple of details though that result in a marginally higher quality texture overall, so it's not totally without some production value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Brace posted:

I don't see it. :smith: I'm running the updated version of the LAA, through FOMM, with NVSE.

Strange that he took it out... I'm using version 1.2.3 of the LAA, and that's the newest version. Anyway, here are the steps.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I figured it out; the deal here is that you have to bypass the FONV Launcher, otherwise it checks the FalloutNV.exe and'll have Steam spit out that error. The author of the utility gave me some instructions to work around it, and it worked nearly perfectly.

After using the utility to modify your FalloutNV.exe:

1.) Rename FalloutNVLauncher.exe to something else
2.) Rename nvse_loader.exe to FalloutNVLauncher.exe

Then everything should work peaches. I did one more step so I can start through FOMM like I usually do:

3.) Make a copy of nvse_loader.exe and keep its original name

So essentially you have two copies of nvse_loader, one in its original state, and one effectively taking the place of the NV Launcher. I found step 3 to be an extra layer of security in making sure my game starts up properly.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lipstick thespian posted:

I finally got around to try out some of the mods in this thread and they are glorious.

URLW + streetlights really makes the game look awesome.

I definitely agree - that'll be the combination I use for the rest of my time in New Vegas. Along with a bit of desaturation from the Imaginator as well.

Random stuff:

I really love the little scenes the author built into Electro City. This one has a flaming Electro City cart (you can see in the background) near a fiend area that apparently was hijacked and set on fire.. with the driver still in it. The driver made it a little ways away from his cart only to meet his demise where you see the flaming skeleton here. There are tons of touches like this here and there.

The doctor was not amused at my 'radical take' on modern medicine and began to question my credentials. Perhaps I'll begin traveling around with the doctor from Novac.

Melissa joins Cass and I for a drink in Boulder City.

I have no idea. It's Monday and there is a long week ahead. Dark humor gets us all through.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Coughing Hobo posted:

Strange that he took it out... I'm using version 1.2.3 of the LAA, and that's the newest version. Anyway, here are the steps.

I've actually done this too

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coughing Hobo posted:

Sorry! I was under the impression that this workaround was rendered obsolete since the LAA's author revamped his utility. Apparently this is not the case--I'll throw your fix back in the OP, Coughing Hobo.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I really love the little scenes the author built into Electro City. This one has a flaming Electro City cart (you can see in the background) near a fiend area that apparently was hijacked and set on fire.. with the driver still in it. The driver made it a little ways away from his cart only to meet his demise where you see the flaming skeleton here. There are tons of touches like this here and there.

Melissa joins Cass and I for a drink in Boulder City.

I definitely agree on the comment regarding how Electro-City's author integrated the mod into the game. Seeing a crucified engineer in Nipton, or the various sprinklings of shacks and trailers across the wasteland really gives the game a sense of reconstruction, which I totally appreciate.

How's your experience with the Melissa Lewis companion so far?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 18, 2011

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sorry! I was under the impression that this workaround was rendered obsolete since the LAA's author revamped his utility. Apparently this is not the case--I'll throw your fix back in the OP, Coughing Hobo.

I'm not really sure what's wrong for Brace; I have the Steam overlay just fine and dandy using my steps. No reason to apologize, just... confused as to why it works for me and not him.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm crashing everytime I try leaving a World of Pain sewer dungeon. I have no idea what could even be causing this. Also, when checking for a BOSS auto-update:

Monday, January 17, 2011 - 8:46:57 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
at Fomm.MainForm.checkForUpdateToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

On topic of my load-order I guess, here it is:

FalloutNV.esm
Masterlist Information: $Revision$, $Date$, $LastChangedBy$

AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm

CompanionInfAmmo.esm

More Perks.esm

New Vegas Redesigned.esm

Community Bugfix Compilation Patch.esp

DarNifiedUINV.esp

CASM.esp

Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp

Purge Cell Buffers.esp

NewVegasBounties.esp

IIWR 2.1.0.esp

PerkEveryLevel.esp

BetterGamePerformanceV3.esp

DK_BulletTime_NV.esp

Tag Skills Improved.esp

better that gun 223.esp

Classic energy weapons.esp

Gobi Rifle Enhanced.esp

Advanced Recon Armor.esp

Advanced Recon Armor-Easier Stealth.esp

Advanced Recon Armor-Location Doc Mitchell.esp

Desert Armor.esp

RCSS.esp (Inactive)

Realistic Power Armor.esp

Tailor Maid - NV.esp

Tailor Maid Black Retex - NV.esp

VT08RangerGear.esp (Inactive)

Lore version.esp

UnlimitedCompanions.esp

Sorter - Combined.esp

noautoaim.esp

BOAt51b.esp
* The auto-sorter doesn't recognize this mod. It is probably safe to put it anywhere, depending on how you want the various plugins to override one another.

BoSench.esp
* The auto-sorter doesn't recognize this mod. It is probably safe to put it anywhere, depending on how you want the various plugins to override one another.

URWLNV.esp

ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp

ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esp

LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp
! This plugin conflicts with 'nevada skies - urwlified.esp'

Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp
! This plugin conflicts with 'lumenariumandelectrocity - nevada skies replacer.esp'

ELECTRO-CITY - Darker Nights.esp (Inactive)

ELECTRO-CITY - Emittance.esp
! This plugin conflicts with 'electro-city - imaginator.esp'

ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
! This plugin conflicts with 'electro-city - emittance.esp'

WeaponModsExpanded.esp

PipLantern.esp

merged patch.esp

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brace posted:

Is there any way to use the 3GB LAA, and still have the steam overlay so I can talk with friends while I play a better version of fallout new vegas?

The mod's author said ,

"If you already have Fallout New Vegas it is your decision to download Steam or not, BTW Steam client is free. You just need to get the latest update then use the enabler and your done. The enabler works with or without Steam"

and

"Common Steam features still work normally the ones that were disabled are the ones that are linked to protection. The main Steam enhancements still works normall on FNV or the other games. Thank you for bringing this up I will update the description page to provide more substance on the matter."

I'm assuming that you're still free to use Steam while playing New Vegas (and using the features that Steam supports.) Have you tried running the game with Steam in the background?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How's your experience with the Melissa Lewis companion so far?

Good so far. If you use the 'Lings' version the author has built in the ability to change her hairstyle on the fly if you don't like her raider hairstyle and she's got a ton of her dialog spliced in that makes pretty good sense for the context of the dialog choices. She's pretty chatty like Cass as well by default - and the author has even added in an option to tell her to keep quiet. So overall pretty well done as far as custom companions go.

I like traveling with talkative companions like Cass so she'll probably be a permanent part of my group. I was pretty surprised when Melissa started chatting casually with my other companions and actually responding to their comments with comments of her own that made sense.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Just want to say thanks for keeping the OP so up to date Creme!

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

9 times out of 10 that type of thing happens because you have a glitchy animation mod, and you're moving before the animation finishes in first person mode. I don't see anything in your load order that looks like a smoking gun but many animation mods are not based on ESPs, and I don't use some of the stuff you do so I wouldn't know if it contains animation glitches.

I tried unloading the only animation mod I remember using (handgun animation replacer), standing perfectly still as I bring up the Pip-Boy/weapon (loading from a fresh save where the 1st person view was working normally), but am still getting the same glitch. Any idea what the 1 out of 10 cause may be?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Octagon N posted:

I tried unloading the only animation mod I remember using (handgun animation replacer), standing perfectly still as I bring up the Pip-Boy/weapon (loading from a fresh save where the 1st person view was working normally), but am still getting the same glitch. Any idea what the 1 out of 10 cause may be?

You should probably remove the animation files it threw in, too.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Amstrad posted:

In case anyone forgot, you can still tip Brahmin over.

Please, someone tell me you can really do this.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Octagon N posted:

Do you have any idea of any of those XFO plugins edit the third person camera? Could be something to do with that. I have much of the same mods you do and can't say I've ever had a similar problem, I wonder if Mikoto might be the cause?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Please, someone tell me you can really do this.

It's easy. Move alongside a brahmin in crouch/sneak mode and hit the use key. It doesn't give a prompt or anything, but you'll get a first person shoving animation and the brahmin will fall over.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
I'm trying to get some scripts built, but am being frustrated by the fact that the geck is refusing to save the scripts. I try to save a script that I cut and pasted out of another script, change three things, and try to save with a new name, only to have it ask if I want to save the script with a blank script name.

Okay, I think, I've got a script that wont compile. Try again, this time with a blank script

code:
scn ubmStartupSCRIPT
thats it, nothing else yet.

And it won't do anything.

is there a trick here? do I have a screwed up geck?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Brace posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39613

These are great looking retextures of the beasts in this game, gonna try it out and report back on it

He made everything in the game black.

The rat retexture is pretty good though, looks more rat-like and less like a D&D monster.

edit: oh cool, his profile has a lot of the individual parts so you can just pick and choose which retextures you like

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 18, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

lipstick thespian posted:

I finally got around to try out some of the mods in this thread and they are glorious.

URLW + streetlights really makes the game look awesome.

What hair mod are you using here? I'm tired of all the anime hair bullshit in every pack I've seen so far.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Nevada Skies - URWLified is out. Combines Nevada Skies with URWL into one mod. You still need to install the Nevada Skies data pack to get it working, but this substitutes fully for Nevada Skies and its URWL compatibility patch.

I tried it for a couple of in-game days and it works like a charm. This really should go into the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Terpfen posted:

Nevada Skies - URWLified is out. Combines Nevada Skies with URWL into one mod. You still need to install the Nevada Skies data pack to get it working, but this substitutes fully for Nevada Skies and its URWL compatibility patch.

I tried it for a couple of in-game days and it works like a charm. This really should go into the OP.

I plan on giving it a day or two before throwing it in the OP, seeing what the general consensus on it is.

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

Do you have any idea of any of those XFO plugins edit the third person camera? Could be something to do with that. I have much of the same mods you do and can't say I've ever had a similar problem, I wonder if Mikoto might be the cause?

To my knowledge, none of them do. But after 15 or so minutes of playing, the problem seems to have solved itself as mysteriously as it began. Maybe it needed a few cell changes? Or needed to cycle through the normal gun animations? :iiam:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Man, even the low-loot version of World of Pain seems to have a lot of...well, loot. Even with Barter Town installed, I'm still basically swimming in caps from all this stuff.

I guess I could, like, not pick all those sweet weapons and armors and ammo types up, but come on now. That ain't Fallout.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

What's the favored weapon sound mod? I've played through enough times for the stock sounds to be kinda boring :v:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I've been learning GECK (for making interiors/map areas) today and I have a decent beginner's handle on it, following the tutorial and what not. But, I don't think I quite understand Navmesh. Do I have to meticulously make sure every inch of my new area has triangles in it? If I don't, what happens realistically?

My goal was to add an oasis/sculpture garden area to some barren unused part of the desert (once I get comfortable with it, perhaps a sculpture garden you have to liberate from deathclaws or raiders or something). I was planning on this being an exterior area, so do I have to be strict with Navmeshing or can I just kinda throw it together quickly with the ctrl-mouse click functionality?

KaiserPanda
Jan 24, 2008
sick of looking at the ugly default All American skin, guess I'll need to make my own. -but if I do that then I'll have to change the stupid stock, too... and if I do that... :argh:

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a mod that filters out loot? Like I dont craft and I have way too many caps and ammo already ans im anal about my inventory.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I plan on giving it a day or two before throwing it in the OP, seeing what the general consensus on it is.

Nevada Skies - URWLified is pretty great so far. I had just URWL installed at first because I like it better than Fellout and whatnot (and for what it's worth the nights seem just as dark as they should be without the darker skies thing and I've been to the Mojave a lot).

Now with Nevada Skies I'm pretty blown away by the difference in the sky already. Everything else looks the same (meaning good because I liked URWL) and no performance hit.

The cloud pack is cool, too.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've actually started playing after a week of off-and-on tweaking settings and watching a bunch of compatability/update patches for mods come out, and I have to say that Nevada Skies URWLified is exactly what I was waiting for. Everything looks so gorgeous combined with the IMAGINATOR and Electro-City that I'm in love. These are with the URWLified Cloud Pack too:

Click here for the full 1425x840 image.

:hellyeah:

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
Joystiq.com had an article about a coming mod called Project Nevada. Aside from an amazing logo font, it has sprinting, tackling, running jumps, visors for all helmets, heat vision and night vision, and a nifty grenade hotkey.

Just a trailer, but I like what is see. The heat vision is amazing. Shows wisps of hot air coming off of enemies.

Source: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/17/mod-in-progress-project-nevada/

Machismo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 18, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Machismo posted:

Joystiq.com had an article about a coming mod called Project Nevada. Aside from an amazing logo font, it has sprinting, tackling, running jumps, visors for all helmets, heat vision and night vision, and a nifty grenade hotkey.

Just a trailer, but I like what is see. The heat vision is amazing. Shows wisps of hot air coming off of enemies.

Source: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/17/mod-in-progress-project-nevada/

Pretty sure it's by the guys who did FWE, too. Someone here is actually testing it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm using the Sprint mod they have in there, it is fantastic. I hate the default movement speed, but Sprint actually integrates into the gameplay, rather than just being a 'move faster' plugin

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34943

Anyone know if the grenade/thrown weapon bit is a separate mod also? I'd love to install that.

edit: nevermind, found it http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38808

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Machismo posted:

That looks very very nice. Although the visors thing I'll probably leave out.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

victrix posted:

I'm using the Sprint mod they have in there, it is fantastic. I hate the default movement speed, but Sprint actually integrates into the gameplay, rather than just being a 'move faster' plugin

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34943

Anyone know if the grenade/thrown weapon bit is a separate mod also? I'd love to install that.

edit: nevermind, found it http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38808

For sprint/grenade/melee key in one, try Vmods suite.

The difference between Vmods suite and Project Nevada are much different, though - Project Nevada is pretty much polished as gently caress, at least the core and Cyberware modules I've tested. Sprint and bullet time are integrated perfectly, and the grenade key also handles melee/thrown items as well. Everything is configurable through an in-game menu (as in pressing Escape => Clicking on the Project Nevada menu item.) I think the menu module will allow for other mods to plug into it and offer a configuration menu in game without having to clutter up the misc and aid tabs with useless configuration items.

It also has health visuals (screen desaturated for lower health which looks sweet) and the visor option is well done (it's pretty much the same mod from FO3.)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there an easy way to remove ED-Es idle noise? His constant buzzing is ruining my desert wasteland ambience :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I love the rest of it but what is it with modders and making visors like that? That doesn't happen in real life that's what happens in a cartoon.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

victrix posted:

Is there an easy way to remove ED-Es idle noise? His constant buzzing is ruining my desert wasteland ambience :(

Try http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34788 ? I haven't used it but that's pretty much all I could find.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love the rest of it but what is it with modders and making visors like that? That doesn't happen in real life that's what happens in a cartoon.

Every game needs to look like you're playing Metroid I guess. Like how every game apparently needs Starfox and anime characters. I don't get it either.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always thought I was the only one annoyed by that. How many games have done visor view right? Metro 2033 is the only one that comes to mind:

Click here for the full 1024x640 image.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Horns posted:

I always thought I was the only one annoyed by that. How many games have done visor view right? Metro 2033 is the only one that comes to mind:

Click here for the full 1024x640 image.

Project Nevada seems like it has at least one helmet that adds a similar effect - cracked glass in your field of view but no other limitations. You can see it at 0:29 in the below link, it's no where near as nice as Metro's of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMWKWR_BCo

The other ones are pretty horrible though IMO, so I doubt I'll keep that feature enabled for the one helmet that isn't an awful design choice.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After traveling with her for a decent amount of time now I can say that the Melissa companion mod is pretty well done. She talks a good bit and seems to have context sensitive lines (unless the random chatter is just triggering at really funny times).

I took her to bitter springs and she said "My tribe's final stand will be remembered for a thousand years". Then when we went to camp Golf she said something to the effect of "If the NCR keeps expanding at this rate they'll control the entire Mojave."

I'm really impressed with how much she has to say. Were there a ton of voice files tucked away for her that were never used or something? Unless the author somehow found another Khan using her same voice and spliced in some of their lines.