Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Am I completely retarded for trying to re-enlist to go to DLI for language training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yeah man it's fine I went ahead and reenlisted for recruiting school and it turned out fine no regrets here

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Yeah man it's fine I went ahead and reenlisted for recruiting school and it turned out fine no regrets here

Oh god.

I don't think I can fit enough :ohdear:'s into this post now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Adding another twenty to the suicide pool. :coal:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Navik posted:

Does anyone know how long DLAB scores are good for? I ask because I got separated from the Navy while at RTC due to medical problems. I plan on returning when I'm eligible for reenlistment in 6 months, and I'm really hoping I won't have to take the test again when they draw up my new CTI contract.

Seriously, that test is loving awful.

I feel like if the test was that bad for you, maybe learning foreign languages at breakneck speed isn't for you.

According to the Google, scores don't expire.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Navik posted:

Does anyone know how long DLAB scores are good for? I ask because I got separated from the Navy while at RTC due to medical problems. I plan on returning when I'm eligible for reenlistment in 6 months, and I'm really hoping I won't have to take the test again when they draw up my new CTI contract.

Seriously, that test is loving awful.

How did you do? They have thresholds for certain languages and so forth.

At least for the AF, to my knowledge they do not expire. They are just there on your record forever. I don't think you ever HAVE to re-take it because it's old. I don't know if this is true across the services but I don't think it ever expires, it's just on your record like your ASVAB scores.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dividend Special posted:

Anyone know if the Army WTC course is still in effect? I've been hearing it was put on hold.

I'll have to dig out the ALARACT, but no, it's not. It's BCT for everyone who wasn't prior service Marine or Army. And if you've been out for more than three years, it's BCT again. Effective 1 January.

I'll try to dig it out.

Edit:

quote:

**************** UNCLASSIFIED// ****************

Subject: ALARACT 346/2010 - WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC)
Originator: /C=US/O=U.S.
GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/L=CONUS/L=WASHINGTON DC/OU=DA
PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS(UC)/OU=ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC)
DTG: 161908Z Nov 10
Precedence: ROUTINE
DAC: General
To: /C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/OU=ADDRESS
LISTS/CN=AL ALARACT(UC)
/C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=AUTODIN PLAS/OU=AIG 6-AZ/OU=ALARACT
--------------------------------------------------
UNCLASSIFIED//
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON
BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAMO-TRI//

SUBJECT: WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC)

REFERENCES:

A. AR 350-1, ARMY TRAINING AND LEADER DEVELOPMENT, 18 DECEMBER 2009.

B. AR 601-210, ACTIVE AND RESERVE COMPONENTS ENLISTMENT PROGRAM, 07 JUNE

1. PURPOSE: DISSEMINATE GUIDANCE CONCERNING THE DISPOSITION OF THE WARRIOR
TRANSITION COURSE (WTC).

2. EFFECTIVE 01 JAN 11, THE ARMY WILL SUSPEND USE OF THE WTC AS A MEANS TO
TRAIN PRIOR SERVICE (PS) PERSONNEL. IN ABSENCE OF WTC, ALL PS AIR FORCE,
NAVY OR COAST GUARD PERSONNEL, INCLUDING THEIR RESERVE COMPONENTS, WHO HAVE
NOT COMPLETED ARMY OR MARINE CORPS BASIC TRAINING, WILL ATTEND ARMY BASIC
COMBAT TRAINING (BCT). ALL PS PERSONNEL ACCESSING INTO THE ACTIVE ARMY WITH
A BREAK IN SERVICE OF MORE THAN 3 YEARS, REGARDLESS OF PRIOR SERVICE
AFFILIATION, WILL ATTEND BCT.

3. HQDA IS STAFFING AN ARMY DIRECTIVE THAT WILL INCLUDE THE APPROVED POLICY
CHANGES FOR TRAINING PRIOR SERVICE PERSONNEL. HQDA G-37/TR AND HQDA G-1/MP
WILL INCORPORATE THESE CHANGES IN THE NEXT REVISIONS OF AR 350-1 AND AR
601-210, RESPECTIVELY.

4. THE ARMY TRAINING DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-3/5/7 (DAMO-TRI) LTC JEFF HACKETT, DSN: 222-5910, COMM: (703)
692-5910, EMAIL: JEFFREY.HACKETT@US.ARMY.MIL.

5. THE ARMY PERSONNEL DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-1 (DAPE-MPA) MR. ALPHONSA GREEN, DSN: 225-7490, COMM: (703) 695-7490,
EMAIL: ALPHONSA.D.GREEN@US.ARMY.MIL.

6. THIS MESSAGE EXPIRES UPON PUBLISHING OF THE ARMY DIRECTIVE STATED AT
PARAGRAPH THREE ABOVE.

7.EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Man someone needs to introduce the DoD to the shift key.

I know, I know, there are still reasons for it etc and so forth but it just makes me laugh that we still see official messages formatted for 40-column monocase dumb terminals.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

moved to the recruiting thread

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 20, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slippery posted:

Man someone needs to introduce the DoD to the shift key.

I know, I know, there are still reasons for it etc and so forth but it just makes me laugh that we still see official messages formatted for 40-column monocase dumb terminals.
No, there's not really any reason for it anymore. The few applications that still require all caps for whatever [ancient backwards compatibility] can have that poo poo converted to all-caps when it transmits.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yah there is absolutely no reason for it. You know what it DOES do? Causes me to lose interest in message traffic like halfway through. It's loving retarded, absolutely retarded, and the fact that the military still hangs on to it is infuriating.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
**************** UNCLASSIFIED// ****************

Subject: ALARACT 346/2010 - WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC) STOP
Originator: /C=US/O=U.S.
GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/L=CONUS/L=WASHINGTON DC/OU=DA
PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS(UC)/OU=ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC) STOP
DTG: 161908Z Nov 10 STOP
Precedence: ROUTINE STOP
DAC: General STOP
To: /C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/OU=ADDRESS
LISTS/CN=AL ALARACT(UC)
/C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=AUTODIN PLAS/OU=AIG 6-AZ/OU=ALARACT STOP
--------------------------------------------------
UNCLASSIFIED// STOP
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON
BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAMO-TRI// STOP

SUBJECT: WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC) STOP

REFERENCES: STOP

A. AR 350-1, ARMY TRAINING AND LEADER DEVELOPMENT, 18 DECEMBER 2009. STOP

B. AR 601-210, ACTIVE AND RESERVE COMPONENTS ENLISTMENT PROGRAM, 07 JUNE
2007. STOP

1. PURPOSE: DISSEMINATE GUIDANCE CONCERNING THE DISPOSITION OF THE WARRIOR
TRANSITION COURSE (WTC). STOP

2. EFFECTIVE 01 JAN 11, THE ARMY WILL SUSPEND USE OF THE WTC AS A MEANS TO
TRAIN PRIOR SERVICE (PS) PERSONNEL. IN ABSENCE OF WTC, ALL PS AIR FORCE,
NAVY OR COAST GUARD PERSONNEL, INCLUDING THEIR RESERVE COMPONENTS, WHO HAVE
NOT COMPLETED ARMY OR MARINE CORPS BASIC TRAINING, WILL ATTEND ARMY BASIC
COMBAT TRAINING (BCT). ALL PS PERSONNEL ACCESSING INTO THE ACTIVE ARMY WITH
A BREAK IN SERVICE OF MORE THAN 3 YEARS, REGARDLESS OF PRIOR SERVICE
AFFILIATION, WILL ATTEND BCT. STOP

3. HQDA IS STAFFING AN ARMY DIRECTIVE THAT WILL INCLUDE THE APPROVED POLICY
CHANGES FOR TRAINING PRIOR SERVICE PERSONNEL. HQDA G-37/TR AND HQDA G-1/MP
WILL INCORPORATE THESE CHANGES IN THE NEXT REVISIONS OF AR 350-1 AND AR
601-210, RESPECTIVELY. STOP

4. THE ARMY TRAINING DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-3/5/7 (DAMO-TRI) LTC JEFF HACKETT, DSN: 222-5910, COMM: (703)
692-5910, EMAIL: JEFFREY.HACKETT@US.ARMY.MIL. STOP

5. THE ARMY PERSONNEL DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-1 (DAPE-MPA) MR. ALPHONSA GREEN, DSN: 225-7490, COMM: (703) 695-7490 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (703) 695-7490 end_of_the_skype_highlighting,
EMAIL: ALPHONSA.D.GREEN@US.ARMY.MIL. STOP

6. THIS MESSAGE EXPIRES UPON PUBLISHING OF THE ARMY DIRECTIVE STATED AT
PARAGRAPH THREE ABOVE. STOP

7.EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED. STOP
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED STOP
Caveats: NONE STOP

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Do y'all read messages to yourselves in a shouting voice I can't help but do it :(

Been out two years and I still do handwriting in all caps too :(

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

All caps is like 50/50, depending on my subconscious.

Also, fighting the urge to put V/R at the end of every email along with a huge signature.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety treatment? From what I've read, the side effects of anti-anxiety meds are worse than the anxiety itself and I don't feel like driving to a VA hospital for counseling or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this?

vains fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Veins McGee posted:

Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety?

Absolutely.

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Didn't see a questions thread, hopefully someone can answer this here.

Is there any way for me to verify that orders I received by e-mail for a badge I earned from the Army is real?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Veins McGee posted:

Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety treatment? From what I've read, the side effects of anti-anxiety meds is worse than the anxiety itself and I don't feel like driving to a VA hospital for counseling or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this?

Ahh, you edited it.

It really depends on what they give you, if they do give you meds. I'd say just go for a consult just to see what they say. If the anxiety is bothering you enough to post on here about it, I'd say its worth it. It's not going to cost you anything outside of gas.

Sometimes the medicine can screw you up a little, but the docs will work with you and try out other stuff that can work to help the anxiety. I don't have personal experience with it myself, but I do have friends that take meds and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to find a perscription that works.

Just give it a shot, and see what happens man.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grover posted:

No, there's not really any reason for it anymore. The few applications that still require all caps for whatever [ancient backwards compatibility] can have that poo poo converted to all-caps when it transmits.

Rrail posted:

Yah there is absolutely no reason for it. You know what it DOES do? Causes me to lose interest in message traffic like halfway through. It's loving retarded, absolutely retarded, and the fact that the military still hangs on to it is infuriating.

Huh, I always thought there was an actual physical reason for it. Nice.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'll have to dig out the ALARACT, but no, it's not. It's BCT for everyone who wasn't prior service Marine or Army. And if you've been out for more than three years, it's BCT again. Effective 1 January.

I'll try to dig it out.

Edit:

Thank you.

Well, that sucks. I guess I could use the refresher but dealing with retards again for 8 weeks or however long BCT is in the Army is going to suck.

Hopefully this time I won't be laundry crew.

Dividend Special fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 21, 2011

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dividend Special posted:

Thank you.

Well, that sucks. I guess I could use the refresher but dealing with retards again for 8 weeks or however long BCT is in the Army is going to suck.

Hopefully this time I won't be laundry crew.

9 weeks now, I think. But if the new privates I keep seeing are any indication, it can't be hard. What rank were you when you got out?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

No Butt Stuff posted:

9 weeks now, I think. But if the new privates I keep seeing are any indication, it can't be hard. What rank were you when you got out?

I'm currently still in (Air National Guard) and from what I've gathered by asking my superiors, the CO will not be very happy to receive that form that lets me transfer to active duty army.

Laugh all you want but I've been an E-2 for 3 years now.
Extremely slow promotion rate. It took 5 years for an outstanding Airman to get to E-4 (enlisted as E-3).

Every drill weekend I go there, I either make some stupid rear end mailboxes for some stupid rear end office or just sit around watching movies, or go to dumb rear end briefings.

The discipline I learned from basic/tech school has been completely lost, and that's partly my fault since I just stopped caring. Seriously, there is no reason for our wing's existence. At all. I feel I'd be more of an asset in an Army infantry unit.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Your state, unit, and CO are all terrible.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

No Butt Stuff posted:

Your state, unit, and CO are all terrible.

Couldn't agree more.

edit: Just to clarify, I'm not straight up bashing my unit, we have some great guys in and when we DO perform work, that work is top notch. A lot of the held backs I am experiencing were also brought on by faults of my own.

Dividend Special fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 23, 2011

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
So since whenever I ask questions for friends you all think it's me... yes, I did manage to go to Air Force Basic during my tour in Korea and went home on exodus leave and SOME HOW my waiver for my cataracts got denied during this time period because my recruiter told me there wouldn't be an eye exam in Basic and that I would be fine. I would really like to join the military because it's one of my goals, and I want to support my girlfriend with 3 kids. I would just about enlist in any branch with the Navy being the less appealing?

tl;dr I have cataracts, got discovered in AF Basic and was sent home during exodus. Any chance I could join any other branch? I want to be a mechanic. I have college credits too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Regicide posted:

tl;dr I have cataracts, got discovered in AF Basic and was sent home during exodus. Any chance I could join any other branch? I want to be a mechanic. I have college credits too.
This would be an EXCELLENT time to start actually listening to people when they give you advice.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
...I give up.

Anyways, if anybody had some insight I could give this guy then it would be greatly appreciate it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Wait. What? You went air force basic during your tour in korea? Huh? Like you were already in the military, then went to another branch's basic? What?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Wait. What? You went air force basic during your tour in korea? Huh? Like you were already in the military, then went to another branch's basic? What?

I think his question is, he was already at basic training for the Air Force, but got discharged. Now he's trying to enlist in another branch. But, I'm confused by the whole Korea part.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
He's being facetious.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
Sigh... I am Regicide. That fat PFC who just finished his tour in Korea and is generally a terrible Soldier. Every time I ask a question for "a friend" I am always accused of covering it up because I don't want to admit it was me, or whatever... It was sarcasm.

Anyways, my friends boyfriend went to AF Basic with cataracts because the recruiter claimed there wouldn't be an eye test and well of course there was and during exodus he was sent home for good
because his waiver was denied. He wants to be all patriotic and still serve plus support his girlfriend and 3 stepkids. He is interested in any branch least of all the Navy. Supposedly has college credits and want to be a mechanic.

Is there anything he can do to get in and join our ranks? HOOAH!

E: THANK YOU SLIPPERY!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Regicide posted:

plus support his girlfriend and 3 stepkids.

:siren: Let this guy in, he is already lining up nicely with the military's ideal junior enlisted soldier. Get that girlfriend to pop out a few more kids and he'll be on the hook for life. :siren:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Buddy of mine got turned away from the navy because he had too many dependents. Go Navy. Of course, the army took him. The army will take anybody. Even with cataracts, they'd probably take him. He could probably have one eye and a wooden leg and they'd still take him, christ. Or maybe not, now that the DoD is belt tightening. But once upon a time.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Buddy of mine got turned away from the navy because he had too many dependents. Go Navy. Of course, the army took him. The army will take anybody. Even with cataracts, they'd probably take him. He could probably have one eye and a wooden leg and they'd still take him, christ. Or maybe not, now that the DoD is belt tightening. But once upon a time.

Nope; no cataracts, even before the belt tightening. Not even Zatoichi.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Regicide posted:

Sigh... I am Regicide. That fat PFC who just finished his tour in Korea and is generally a terrible Soldier. Every time I ask a question for "a friend" I am always accused of covering it up because I don't want to admit it was me, or whatever... It was sarcasm.

Anyways, my friends boyfriend went to AF Basic with cataracts because the recruiter claimed there wouldn't be an eye test and well of course there was and during exodus he was sent home for good
because his waiver was denied. He wants to be all patriotic and still serve plus support his girlfriend and 3 stepkids. He is interested in any branch least of all the Navy. Supposedly has college credits and want to be a mechanic.

Is there anything he can do to get in and join our ranks? HOOAH!

E: THANK YOU SLIPPERY!

No. We don't need another Pfc/A1C Dipshit.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I'm interested in Army Civil Affairs, as it seems like a pretty cool job where I'd get to do cool things for hopefully cool people. I've read up on it on the army website and usmilitary.about, but I'm interested in hearing about it from someone here who knows it. I'd ask the guy in the information thread but I can't PM. Stuff like what a day-to-day for an enlisted would be, what the training is like, and how it relates to Psyops (I was interested in that too) would be great.

Thanks for any info, I think this is a good place to ask. Also, are there Air Force or Navy versions or equivalents of the job? I can't really tell from my searches.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Looking at ditching the USMC IRR for the Air Force Reserves. Does anyone have any experience switching MOS/AFSC's while switching branches?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
New Army Retention Control Point (RCP) info:

code:
2. EFFECTIVE 1 JUNE 2011, RA AND AGR TITLE 10 SOLDIERS MAY
PERFORM ACTIVE SERVICE (SEE NOTE 1) UP TO THEIR RETENTION CONTROL
POINT (RCP) OR AGE 62 FOR RA AND USAR OR AGE 60 FOR ARNG,
WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. SOLDIERS MAY NOT EXCEED THE RCP AS SHOWN
BELOW, BY MORE THAN ONE MONTH.
ARMY RETENTION CONTROL POINTS
GRADE TOTAL ACTIVE SERVICE IN YEARS
PVT-PFC 5
CPL/SPC 8
CPL/SPC (PROMOTABLE) 12
SGT 13
SGT (PROMOTABLE) 15
SSG 20
SSG (PROMOTABLE) 26
SFC 26
SFC (PROMOTABLE) 29
1SG/MSG 29
1SG/MSG (PROMOTABLE) 32
CSM/SGM 32
Little bit less time for SGT and below to get promoted, looks like.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I have a SPC in my squad who is a SPC longer than I'm in the army (I'm the squad leader)

Anyhow the dude is on the automatic standing list, for RCP purposes does that make him promotable?

Anyhow, looks like the dude has till june to not be fat and pass a pt test.

Sweet I can cruise out like 9 more years as an E5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

the dude is on the automatic standing list, for RCP purposes does that make him promotable?

That seems like one of those angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin questions that's best left for HRC to answer.

Personally, I hope the answer's 'no'.

• Locked thread