Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Twenties Superstar posted:

No Advice, just fun stuff. For example referring to woman as holes to be hosed.

Lighten up, Francis. Obviously this statement can be applied equally well to men, its just a different group of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

squidflakes posted:

Lighten up, Francis. Obviously this statement can be applied equally well to men, its just a different group of holes.

I'm glad that you're a thinking egalitarian but objectifying a man is just as bad as a women hombre

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm glad that you're a thinking egalitarian but objectifying a man is just as bad as a women hombre

I like my women like I like my cameras:
musty, cheap, and picked up at a thrift shop~

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I like my women like I like my cameras:
musty, cheap, and picked up at a thrift shop~

you can get them cheaper if they have fungus

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Paragon8 posted:

Aww yeaaah.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Someone is trying to sell their inheritance of photo gear on my local CL. 40 some odd bodies, tons of accessories etc. I'm dying for them to call me back so I can go look through the stuff, says they are open to selling the whole lot or just single items. Saw a few pro nikon film bodies, and a few eos bodies, but the pics were so horrible I couldn't make out any specifics.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

Someone is trying to sell their inheritance of photo gear on my local CL. 40 some odd bodies, tons of accessories etc. I'm dying for them to call me back so I can go look through the stuff, says they are open to selling the whole lot or just single items. Saw a few pro nikon film bodies, and a few eos bodies, but the pics were so horrible I couldn't make out any specifics.

I vote kidney donation. We'll read about this in your local news later. Tell us what paper to check for dudes found in a bathtub filled with ice minus a kidney.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

torgeaux posted:

I vote kidney donation. We'll read about this in your local news later. Tell us what paper to check for dudes found in a bathtub filled with ice minus a kidney.

this is like the story of the guy who got robbed, but the thieves left an insurance note detailing exactly what they've taken, and then didn't come back after the home owner delightedly re-purchases all his stuff new from the payout received.

Why the kidney, that's all, why just a kidney, or two. gently caress, do you know how expensive bone marrow is and that poo poo can be put on ice for quite a while. gently caress, now I have "bone marrow longevity" on my googled list.

Anyway, to make this topical I opened my camera bag, I haven't opened it for months. Then not knowing what to do, I licked my finger and ran it down the side of my D3S.

And I'm trying to work out how to get a camera into the mine I work at. I'm on night shift right now and with the stars above, the dust I create drilling, the roar of the trucks in the distance, it's like working on a nightmarish moon scape from sci-fi hell.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

I am trying to open an uggo WW2 25cm Konishiroku and have succeeded in breaking off pieces of both the front and rear retaining rings. Whatever metal the Japanese Empire was handing out to the lens factories was brittle as gently caress :smith:

ease posted:

Don't wait on it if you're interested, good deals on Craigslist tend to go pretty fast.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

squidflakes posted:

And here I was, ready to give you the benefit of the doubt in thinking you meant that a ring can't fill a hole in one's life, which would have been poetic. But nope.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
For now, I've had enough of street, events and the odd landscape shoot, so I'm jumping in the deep end and organizing my own editorial shoot.. Will be an interesting test.

It's a lot to organize :P

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We all recognize that photographing weddings isn't always a glamorous job. Look at the fear in this man's eyes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real question is whether he's protecting his camera, or trying to practice for post game photos at the superbowl.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Digital Rev TV is an endless source of amusement to me if only because he's constantly accidentally breaking expensive things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHQ5lXZGTo

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

beeker posted:

Digital Rev TV is an endless source of amusement to me if only because he's constantly accidentally breaking expensive things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHQ5lXZGTo

Haha, I was just about to post that with a quote from a couple pages ago:

Dread Head posted:

Destruction of Canon gear. http://paradoxoff.com/mass-destruction-of-the-canon-cameras.html

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
My amazing girlfriend just dropped this bomb on me while we were walking around Best Buy earlier.

"You know my dad gets all this stuff at cost right? Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Electrolux, Frigidaire, whatever."

Thiiiiiiiis close to dropping on one knee right there in the store.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
At cost-cost. Or "cost"-cost?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The profit margins on electronics is really small (~10%. at most 20%). Unless he is a manager/owner/distributor then you won't see any real discount as companies will generally give cost+10 to their employees. Discounts are always nice, but don't expect your lens count to suddenly jump up. It is nice getting sd cards and batteries half off though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Still not a bad proverbial-final-straw to push him over the edge / down to one knee.

Think of the wedding registry!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
He's a distributor, so he can only get certain brands he distributes for, but is pretty high up the chain there.

So yeah, it's not like it's 90% off, but she said most things like appliances are ~30% off "sale prices." Can't imagine it's much of anything on Lenses or Camera bodies though. She's going to find out on some lenses though. Thinking maybe 15% at most.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dunkman, did I ever tell you that you're my favourite poster on these forums? And I'm not just saying that to mooch off your soon to be discounts! :q:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

beeker posted:

Never mind 'accidentally' breaking things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_972587&v=D1tTBncIsm8&feature=iv

I demand that everyone watches this video.

EDIT: it is a bit slow, but stick with it.

spog fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Someone posted a comment on one of the DigitalRev youtubes saying it's the Top Gear of photography. I'm inclined to agree with them.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

Someone posted a comment on one of the DigitalRev youtubes saying it's the Top Gear of photography. I'm inclined to agree with them.
Ha! I was just watching that last video and thinking that exactly. I think he's modelling his presenting style on Clarkson as well.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
That first segment is the reason one should always have a lens hood on if you have one. Also, I used to have the same headwear but he somehow pulls it off better than I do :(

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

squidflakes posted:

I have zero problems remembering why online photography forums are dominated by men.

Next time you're called on your offensive misogyny, an apology or even nothing is better than the old bully by-line, "I was just joking, geeeze!"

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You are female, or you are just defending all females?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spog posted:

Never mind 'accidentally' breaking things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_972587&v=D1tTBncIsm8&feature=iv

I demand that everyone watches this video.

EDIT: it is a bit slow, but stick with it.

OTOH, this would make an awesome avatar:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Augmented Dickey posted:

OTOH, this would make an awesome avatar:

My avatar is similar...

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

ease posted:

I'm female (like that should matter, like only women should care about women) and I can tell you that this is the reason why models think all male photographers are creeps. And I appreciate it when poops calls out someone :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nonanone posted:

I'm female (like that should matter, like only women should care about women) and I can tell you that this is the reason why models think all male photographers are creeps. And I appreciate it when poops calls out someone :)

:(

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

dunkman posted:

My avatar is similar...

hahaha drat.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nonanone posted:

And to think that PIMM is one of the creepiest motherfuckers on these forums!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I HATE CARS posted:

He's just a typical goon, in that he likes his eye candy...but he's respectful in his lustful attentions. Seriously.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

ease posted:

It's more than I'm a heterophobe/misandrist.

I HATE CARS posted:

If you think so seriously, you're either homophobic, or your ability to detect ironic posting is broken, or possibly a bit of both.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

nonanone posted:

It matters on these forums sometimes. People who defend women because they want to sleep with said women creep me out more than anything. Not that I was seriously accusing poopinmymouth of that at all, just taking a jab.

But honestly I just think it's silly to take a joke like that and turn it into a judgment of someones character. I'd never assume he has some profound hatred of women from a one liner. Especially in thread that's supposed to be the fun dorkroom discussion thread. It's kind of like getting offended at a raunchy comic.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

ease posted:

It matters on these forums sometimes. People who defend women because they want to sleep with said women creep me out more than anything. Not that I was seriously accusing poopinmymouth of that at all, just taking a jab.

But honestly I just think it's silly to take a joke like that and turn it into a judgment of someones character. I'd never assume he has some profound hatred of women from a one liner. Especially in thread that's supposed to be the fun dorkroom discussion thread. It's kind of like getting offended at a raunchy comic.

I'm gay and want nothing to do with vaginas, so I'm definitely not defending for that reason.

A lot of raunchy comics are pretty offensive too. It's very easy to say, "it's just a joke". I know the term misogyny is loaded, and it implies you're some kind of womanizing wife-beater, but it has a clear definition, and dropping offensive jokes where women as sexual objects is the punchline is actually misogynist. Just like there isn't a racist-lite term to differentiate those who cross the street when they see a black guy, from actual KKK members, misogyny refers to actions with no regard to a spectrum.

It's the fact that it's seen as such a small thing to drop jokes like that, so casual, that anyone making mention that it's offensive becomes a big deal rather than accepting the reprimand and trying not to do it again, that shows why women tend not to participate in male dominated hobbies.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

poopinmymouth posted:

If you think so seriously, you're either homophobic, or your ability to detect ironic posting is broken, or possibly a bit of both.

Dude, if you're going to pretend to jerk it to every picture of a hot guy posted in CC then don't get all offended when you're called creepy.

We all know you're gay, it's cool, we don't mind.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Basically what PIMM said. Using language like that, whether it be objectifying women or using the word fag as a pejorative, perpetuates a harmful way of thinking/speaking of things in the light of Jokes. It's not like if people stop calling women bitches or saying that people fag it up over gear or whatever it's going to be enough to crush the patriarchy and homophobia but speaking like that is not doing any favours for you or the people around you. Maybe you'll get high fives from your bros or whatever but it'll make you look like a real inconsiderate shithead and is just promoting offensiveness and the machismo straight male dominance over society under the banner of "just kidding!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

squidflakes posted:

A ring can't plug a hole.

BobTheCow posted:

What do you call the useless flap of skin around the vagina? The woman. :v:
Not loving funny

ease posted:

He's a gay dude who happens to be a decent being, Jesus H Christ.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 23, 2011