Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

kri kri posted:

Can boxee not use tmdb?
When asked about using TVDB, the response was that they'd love to, however IMDB is the only one that supports commercial licensing.

Geera posted:

Does that mean that when I add content to my Boxee Box it scrapes a copy of the IMDB database hosted locally or on Boxee's servers, and not IMDB directly? If so, do we know how often that gets updated?

I actually assumed it used IMDB for movies and the TVDB for TV shows, but I have nothing to base those assumptions on.
Yeah, exactly. How often it is updated? Not a clue. They have a link to submit corrections and missing movies/shows, though.

Interestingly, some content does appear to be coming from TVDB and other sites, however all traffic of the sort is routed to Boxee's servers, and they claim that IMDB is their only scraper. This is all gleamed from reading the cesspool that is the Boxee forums, so take it as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Vudu is up. Two months late, but none the less...

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

ThinkFear posted:

Vudu is up. Two months late, but none the less...
Are you sure? I just tried, and it was the same as usual...

edit: It is apparently available on the PC and Mac versions of Boxee, but not yet on Boxee Box.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 15, 2011

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

n0n0 posted:

Are you sure? I just tried, and it was the same as usual...

edit: It is apparently available on the PC and Mac versions of Boxee, but not yet on Boxee Box.

The app was pulled.:argh:

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I messed with Vudu for abo0ut an hour last night... it was working wonderfully. Im currently running the RC firmware that was posted 1/14/11, and so for Im loving it. All the bugs that I had before are gone. Im only playing back local content, but its doing a wonder job so far. Always room for improvement, though.

EDIT: Watched a full movie last night, couple of audio drop outs on DTS-HD.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 16, 2011

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Cornjob posted:

I messed with Vudu for abo0ut an hour last night... it was working wonderfully. Im currently running the RC firmware that was posted 1/14/11, and so for Im loving it. All the bugs that I had before are gone. Im only playing back local content, but its doing a wonder job so far. Always room for improvement, though.

EDIT: Watched a full movie last night, couple of audio drop outs on DTS-HD.
How did you install RC firmware? I'd love to give Vudu a whirl.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

n0n0 posted:

How did you install RC firmware? I'd love to give Vudu a whirl.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=26275 Has the link to the newest RC and instructions

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Fatal posted:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=26275 Has the link to the newest RC and instructions

I think Vudu has been pulled until they work out the bugs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Next-Gen, on 12/20/2010, posted:

On the netflix front, we're talking about less than 10 days at the most before it becomes available on the boxee box too. They've been holding strong on saying it will be out before the end of the year, so I think waiting maybe a week to see how it turns out isn't a bad idea.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I can understand Netflix because of silverlight but why don't they just say gently caress off to everyone else and set the user agent string to something normal so flash 10 content just works.

These companies aren't going to play ball just make it work as if it were a desktop and your customers will love you for it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

I can understand Netflix because of silverlight but why don't they just say gently caress off to everyone else and set the user agent string to something normal so flash 10 content just works.

These companies aren't going to play ball just make it work as if it were a desktop and your customers will love you for it.

Ummm its not the user string its the flash identifier. Even if boxee wanted to do this, they won't piss of the companies - how else are they going to make money?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me is the usb ports on the boxee are "high voltage" type ? As in, can I plug my 500gb non-power supply usb drive into it ? These types of drives (portable) don't work with the lower-power type usb ports, such as on my bluray player.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is my boxee box retarded? Someone try to identify one of their movie files as war of the worlds and see if its possible. my boxee returns NOTHING when i try to identify something as war of the worlds.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Omegaslast posted:

Is my boxee box retarded? Someone try to identify one of their movie files as war of the worlds and see if its possible. my boxee returns NOTHING when i try to identify something as war of the worlds.

Try "war of the worlds (2005)".. see if it helps?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Omegaslast posted:

boxee :: forums > boxee community > general boxee help
Reload this Page read first: movies or tv shows not showing up in boxee
http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/42693-correctly-naming-local-media-files

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I guess the official boxee box update was just released?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/vudu-arrives-on-the-boxee-box-along-with-a-host-of-big-fixes/

I'm on the fence on it still since it seems like you boxee box owners are frustrated... hopefully this fixes things so i can finally buy it :)

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Note: this update brings Vudu.

Mister Fister posted:

I'm on the fence on it still since it seems like you boxee box owners are frustrated... hopefully this fixes things so i can finally buy it :)

Honestly, since the last update I've had zero issues. Love this thing.

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 19, 2011

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Mister Fister posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/vudu-arrives-on-the-boxee-box-along-with-a-host-of-big-fixes/

With my new box, I have (almost) no complaints. I realize its a work in progress, I and I enjoy the guinea pig aspect. For my purposes, (local connected storage of movies and TV shows, all properly labled and indexed) it works 97% perfect.

I cant comment on networked playback, aps, or youtube. The only one I have tried is vudu, and it works.

If youre using it the way I use it, i reccomend it.

That said, if and when a similar purpose built device running XBMC is released, im getting that.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Vudu is pretty awesome, and I like that it comes with a $5.99 credit. But for some reason Dolby Digital doesn't want to work -- just comes through as Stereo for me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

n0n0 posted:

Vudu is pretty awesome, and I like that it comes with a $5.99 credit. But for some reason Dolby Digital doesn't want to work -- just comes through as Stereo for me.

the Vudu app looks gorgeous but... $6 for 1080p rentals is a lil steep innit?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

Yeah. I'm hoping that the Netflix app is just as slick -- though it probably won't be.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

n0n0 posted:

Yeah. I'm hoping that the Netflix app is just as slick -- though it probably won't be.

I am hoping the netflix app comes out this year, I have a feeling it will be missing the January Time line if Vudu just made it out.....

At least now I don't have to manually turn off subtitles for every movie, and the sorting is a lot better with the prefix changes. Definitely worth replacing my clunky popcorn hour for.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mister Fister posted:

I think 90% of the complains are about Netflix on their forums. If you buy one w/o dreaming of netflix playback, I think you'll be happy. The box excels at home content. I rarely even bother with the online stuff, but when I do it seems to work decent. I've been watching daily show again because of the app they've got.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

deong posted:

I think 90% of the complains are about Netflix on their forums. If you buy one w/o dreaming of netflix playback, I think you'll be happy. The box excels at home content. I rarely even bother with the online stuff, but when I do it seems to work decent. I've been watching daily show again because of the app they've got.

I agree. I've been happy with the local content and what web content I do use, and have other boxes for Netflix and Hulu (PS3) so it's not a big deal that Boxee doesn't support them. However, it'll be nice when they do so I can move the PS3 back to the living room.

geera
May 20, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Yeah that was my thought yesterday. I've never used Vudu before so I didn't know what to expect for pricing, but $6 for an "HDX" rental is incredibly expensive considering I can go get a BluRay from a Redbox for $1.50. The samples of HDX movies I did watch looked awesome, but it is prohibitively expensive for a rental.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Wait, does it actually use the TVDB?

I've been trying to get some BBC documentaries (which are on a poo poo ton of DVDs ugh) onto the Boxee.

I can't get the first series to get recognized on the box.

This one: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=80427&lid=7

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

IMDB has the series listed, however no episode information is present. Try adding the episodes to IMDB perhaps?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone point me to a guide regarding apps and things ? I'm not sure I understand the repository concept, and I can't figure out how to get onto youtube and facebook etc. Also, how do I turn on Last.fm scrobbling ?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
ruh-roh, what does this mean for Boxee Box sales?

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MMD3 posted:

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/

I'm considering an ATV2 w/ xbmc myself, but the remote control looks like crap for it, gotta figure out what type of 3rd party remote i can use.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MMD3 posted:

I'm guessing that means, in one step, Apple TV has more apps and sources than Boxee will ever have?

Goddammit.

vvv Well, in some perverse way that's a relief. I like to watch a lot of flash content anyway. I could save some of it and serve it from the computer but that wouldn't help with the justin.tv and ustream stuff I like to watch.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MMD3 posted:

ATV2 still cant play 1080p smoothly, plus you cant play flash content on it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If it's anything like installing boxee on the ATV1 it's something that a lot of people might not have the patience for.

Boxee ran so slow on the ATV1, ugh.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
It also seems that USB attached storage is not yet possible on AppleTV 2.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

priznat posted:

If it's anything like installing boxee on the ATV1 it's something that a lot of people might not have the patience for.

this, plus no local storage.

I have no interest in XBMC+ATV2

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'd love to have XBMC on my boxee. The XBMC team doesn't seem to have any interest though :(.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

MMD3 posted:

Netflix is still a shitshow on XBMC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Webbeh posted:

Netflix is still a shitshow on XBMC.

Beats a no-show.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I picked up one of these today, gonna see if I can get XBMC working well enough to finally replace my Revo in the bedroom for 720p content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

BorderPatrol posted:

I picked up one of these today, gonna see if I can get XBMC working well enough to finally replace my Revo in the bedroom for 720p content.
XBMC won't install onto a Boxee. Or did you mean to say that you were gonna set up the Boxee?

• Locked thread