Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of replacement for the Warhammer? Same weight class, similar armament (swapping the medium lasers and MGs for some LRMs), named after a weapon, and the pic is VERY Warhammer-ish...

It should be noted that generating a point or two of heat per turn isn't catastrophic or anything; I don't have a heat scale handy but IIRC the really bad things don't start happening until after 8 or 12 points. Building up 1 or 2 points a turn is sustainable if you can manage to take an easy turn every once in a while (often happens because you don't have a shot for some reason) and even going all-out and racking up a lot of points in one turn works if you can either disengage right after or otherwise limit fire to slowly bleed off heat over a couple of turns.

Ah, the joys of the heat scale. :allears:

It actually is an older design according to fluff, word of mech book says the update to this mech is this: Hammerhands and both "inspired" the Warhmamer

And yes, I do believe I'll be running about 3 or 5 heat most of the time, depending on terrian and what happens with the Griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pladdicus posted:

I should really not be carrying ammo, that just screams first death.

Does the Vulcan carry a full ton of MG ammo? If so I strongly, strongly recommend you eject it in the first turn. Vulcans aren't exactly walking artillery pieces but that one single MG isn't likely to appreciably up your effectiveness. One the contrary, you'd have to fire it every turn for 200 turns (TWO HUNDRED TURNS) to go through a ton of ammo. And since you're relatively lightly armored and a critical to ammo does the entire potential damage amount of that ammo to the mech (no CASE yet, remember) you're looking at potentially 400 points of damage going off INSIDE your mech.

Not to mention that enough heat buildup has the chance to cook off ammo without a shot being fired, and you're carrying around a drat flamer...

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

Does the Vulcan carry a full ton of MG ammo? If so I strongly, strongly recommend you eject it in the first turn. Vulcans aren't exactly walking artillery pieces but that one single MG isn't likely to appreciably up your effectiveness. One the contrary, you'd have to fire it every turn for 200 turns (TWO HUNDRED TURNS) to go through a ton of ammo. And since you're relatively lightly armored and a critical to ammo does the entire potential damage amount of that ammo to the mech (no CASE yet, remember) you're looking at potentially 400 points of damage going off INSIDE your mech.

Not to mention that enough heat buildup has the chance to cook off ammo without a shot being fired, and you're carrying around a drat flamer...

It does, 1 ton in the left torso. I'm not really a fan of basically tossing ammo first round; I usually wait until that location's had its armor abraded. There's not much in what we'll probably be fighting that can punch through the armor in one shot, and without that it'd take a fanTAStically unlucky roll to cause an ammo explosion.

Besides, PTN may just be Clever Dick and throw a battalion of infantry in for grins. :v:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Wow, can't I just carry like .1 tons of ammo? What's the minimum amount you can dump? I assume it has to be dropped in stacks/clips.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I haven't played BT since the mid 90s, so I can't offer any extensive advice besides generalities, but you'll want to exploit House Kurita's natural tendency to use lovely tactics. Don't let them go one on one with you since they'll be better pilots than your Green Kell Hound mechwarriors. A lucky hit on the Jenner will mean you guys could be out numbered fairly quickly. Also, though you want to close with your Jenner and Vulcan, don't let yourselves be isolated. Even if the Kurita forces are just lights, if they are fielding a Panther your rear end could get lit up if they cut you off from your heavier friends.

Show those goddamn snakes how the boys from Arc-Royal roll.

Good hunting, Hounds.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

It does, 1 ton in the left torso. I'm not really a fan of basically tossing ammo first round; I usually wait until that location's had its armor abraded. There's not much in what we'll probably be fighting that can punch through the armor in one shot, and without that it'd take a fanTAStically unlucky roll to cause an ammo explosion.

Besides, PTN may just be Clever Dick and throw a battalion of infantry in for grins. :v:

Two words my friend: SRM-6 hovercraft :aaaaa:

Pladdicus posted:

Wow, can't I just carry like .1 tons of ammo? What's the minimum amount you can dump? I assume it has to be dropped in stacks/clips.

dumping ammo is considered an "emergency thing" so it's all or nothing buddy.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

As Axe-Man said, you have to dump all the ammo in a slot if you dump any. All or nothing. If you had two tons of machine gun ammo for some godforsaken reason, you could dump one slot worth's (1 ton). But you don't. :v:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Does the weapon itself contain any ammunition? Or if I dump does that mean the weapon is pretty much useless.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Does the weapon itself contain any ammunition? Or if I dump does that mean the weapon is pretty much useless.

if you dump the ammo you lose the sweet sweet MG joy.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Then I guess it's all or nothing! You only live once : D (and for those who don't dump ammunition live once very quickly?)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Then I guess it's all or nothing! You only live once : D (and for those who don't dump ammunition live once very quickly?)

My advice: don't get hit... move fast and hit hard :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Just about all stock 'mechs carry ammo in full-ton allotments. Usually this ends up being something like 10 or 15 shots (or as low as 6 in the case of big autocannons), MGs are just weird in that they get 200. IIRC you can do half-tons of ammo, but BT doesn't track weight in any finer detail than that (everything rounds to the nearest half-ton) and in any case PTN has said he doesn't want to deal with custom mechs.

I guess you could ask if you could start out only partially stocked or something. Although Mukaikubo brought up a good point in that if you do actually get put up against infantry or vehicles then the MG could be useful (assuming you can get in range for it).

Bad Moon posted:

I haven't played BT since the mid 90s, so I can't offer any extensive advice besides generalities, but you'll want to exploit House Kurita's natural tendency to use lovely tactics. Don't let them go one on one with you since they'll be better pilots than your Green Kell Hound mechwarriors. A lucky hit on the Jenner will mean you guys could be out numbered fairly quickly. Also, though you want to close with your Jenner and Vulcan, don't let yourselves be isolated. Even if the Kurita forces are just lights, if they are fielding a Panther your rear end could get lit up if they cut you off from your heavier friends.

This is another good point. Assuming you guys are going to be part of the Hounds' green Third Regiment then the Kurita pilots are probably going to be better than you (games-mechanically speaking) so you really won't be able to afford going one-to-one; you really need to try to stick together and focus on one or two at a time.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Axe-man posted:

if you dump the ammo you lose the sweet sweet self conflagration joy.

With only one mg? Fixed that for you there.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

I'm going to laugh if they get put up against a Dragon or Grand Dragon and then immediately post suggesting Pladdicus does a charge followed by turning his flamer on his own MG and hoping the blast takes out the other mech. :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I'm going to laugh if they get put up against a Dragon or Grand Dragon and then immediately post suggesting Pladdicus does a charge followed by turning his flamer on his own MG and hoping the blast takes out the other mech. :v:

Ah yes, the Happyelf mech. (Why Happyelf? Try out the 'happyelf' emote and you'll see.) Does BT even have rules for ammo explosions damaging nearby things? If it does, I can't recall because it comes up so rarely.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'm assuming it will go something like this. If I'm not messing up their aim with minimum range, I'm not trying. (reading up on those two I was expecting flamethrowers. That name is kind of misleading)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bad Moon posted:

hey, it's a weapon, as long as it isn't healing the enemy mech or causing him to go fusion on us, i'm perfectly happy for him to do his 1 damage.

Mukaikubo posted:

Ah yes, the Happyelf mech. (Why Happyelf? Try out the 'happyelf' emote and you'll see.) Does BT even have rules for ammo explosions damaging nearby things? If it does, I can't recall because it comes up so rarely.

It does, and it can get quite impressive when you see an atlas go critcal.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

WarLocke posted:

GLORY IN DEATH! :happyelf:

edit: beaten by Mukaikubo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I think I read some at one point, but it might have been a level 3/optional rule. I wouldn't expect it to actually work but I'd cheer for it anyway.

:happyelf:

Pladdicus posted:

I'm assuming it will go something like this. If I'm not messing up their aim with minimum range, I'm not trying. (reading up on those two I was expecting flamethrowers. That name is kind of misleading)

The Combine loving loves the Dragon (and later the Grand Dragon). If you end up fighting a Combine heavy you have something like a 60%+ chance of it being that chassis.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah, MGs. The most worthless crap weapon ever.

I get that it's supposed to be for anti-infantry work, but I'd still rather dump a flight of SRMs at a group of infantry than carry an MG. SRMs can do some damage to mechs, blow up light to medium tanks, hovercraft, and the occasional aircraft (especially if they're SSRMs). Machine guns can only do damage to anything armored if there should happen to be a catastrophic internal explosion.

If you could figure a way to get that entire ton of ammo in right next to the enemy reactor all at once, it'd be a viable weapon.

Also, Axe-Man, I expect great things from you this fight. The Blackjack variant you have has a really nice loadout. :black101:

(But screw you all for not voting Davion Heavy Guards. Was I the only one that did?)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
A Dragon would hardly be insurmountable provided the terrain to gangbang it at close range. Or just shoot it with the Griffin, really. PPC's are the weapon of the gods.

But really, AC/5s and LRMs both have minimum ranges and the Medium Lasers that make up the bulk of the Lance's firepower don't, so walk right up in its face and it has all of two medium lasers, which it can't bring to bear on a single target because one is an rear end laser.

Bonus points if you do so from 1 height level up and kick its stupid head off

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 22, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Since we win initiative isn't it feasible that I could hug(1 range) pretty much any mech? (suicidally pending their support)

Just wondering if I understand initiative properly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dude, if you want to play Davion Heavy Guard just go Steiner. Their 3025 Assaults are like 1000 times better.

Anyway, holy poo poo one day and I miss all this. Still time for signups or did I miss that boat?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Dude, if you want to play Davion Heavy Guard just go Steiner. Their 3025 Assaults are like 1000 times better.

Anyway, holy poo poo one day and I miss all this. Still time for signups or did I miss that boat?

As far as I understand everyone who wants to will eventually get to play, pilots get cycled through.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

(But screw you all for not voting Davion Heavy Guards. Was I the only one that did?)

I voted for Davion Heavy Guards on the first page. >_>

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Zaodai posted:

Ah, MGs. The most worthless crap weapon ever.

I get that it's supposed to be for anti-infantry work, but I'd still rather dump a flight of SRMs at a group of infantry than carry an MG. SRMs can do some damage to mechs, blow up light to medium tanks, hovercraft, and the occasional aircraft (especially if they're SSRMs). Machine guns can only do damage to anything armored if there should happen to be a catastrophic internal explosion.

If you could figure a way to get that entire ton of ammo in right next to the enemy reactor all at once, it'd be a viable weapon.

Also, Axe-Man, I expect great things from you this fight. The Blackjack variant you have has a really nice loadout. :black101:

A full salvo of srm 6 missles kills 3 guys tops unless you're using special ammo while a machine gun kills 2D6.

VVV

Vs. infantry dmg isn't like vs. mech dmg according to my reading of TW. The SRM damage is /5 before applied to infantry.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

A full salvo of srm 6 missles kills 3 guys tops unless you're using special ammo while a machine gun kills 2D6.

6 SRMs is 12 damage, a MG is 2... :confused:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Doesn't the MG fire multiple times in a single round? It's a rapid fire weapon.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

6 SRMs is 12 damage, a MG is 2... :confused:

Infantry damage follows different rules.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Doesn't the MG fire multiple times in a single round? It's a rapid fire weapon.

One MG 'shot' is considered to be a full burst.

Mukaikubo posted:

Infantry damage follows different rules.

My rules are probably not the most current ones I guess.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

edited out as per Warlocke's realization that we are probably violating the rules

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 22, 2011

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I realise this is terribly late, but I'd like to stick my name onto the list of participants if you're still accepting new ones. I've got PMs, so you can reach me through those. I'm not hugely experienced, but I have played a fair bit of MegaMek before, so I'm looking forward to seeing what small-scale mech combat is like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm just going off Total Warfare. The deal is; if you want to kill infantry with a mech, you want flamers, machine guns, and small pulse lasers. Everything else is going to kill maybe 2 guys a shot, those three can kill a huge number.

Well all my books are pre-FASA going bankrupt so there. :colbert:

Don't care enough to look it up but I'm pretty sure in the books I have damage kills infantry on a point-for-point basis. PPC = 10 dead infantrymen, etc.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

edited out as per Warlocke's realization that we are probably violating the rules

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 22, 2011

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So which set of rules is PTN going to use anyway?

oh I have SA PMs as well by the way

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rumda posted:

So which set of rules is PTN going to use anyway?

Hopefully the newer ones since the ones I have make infantry pretty objectively poo poo.

That is, assuming he tosses in infantry to begin with.

Also, I just realized that we might be treading close to PTN's "no discussing in-depth rules" thing from the OP, so I'm gonna let this tangent drop I think.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah I just nuked all my posts- might be a bit excessive, but better safe than sorry since the line is kind of fuzzy~

edit: Actually, should I delete my tactical summary? It'd feel like a drat shame but I mean, it has specific heat/damage/range numbers, and I'm not sure if that's OK to post under our rules. :|

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 22, 2011

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm on the pilot list so I thought I'd better put my email: spencer at zworg.com

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Actually, should I delete my tactical summary? It'd feel like a drat shame but I mean, it has specific heat/damage/range numbers, and I'm not sure if that's OK to post under our rules. :|

I don't think that's over the line, the pilots are going to need those numbers when the actual game starts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Well great Poptarts, after lurking in your Star Trek Online thread got me to try out the game, this thread has managed to make me actually get off my rear end and get an account here.

So yeah, I want to be a pilot/commander (I have PMs). Unless having no real familiarity with Battletech beyond "Hell yeah I love giant robots" would be a big problem in which case I'll just watch.

• Locked thread