Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, since I mucked things up before, I figure I'll contribute some other stuff. For those not familiar, some visuals for the opposition now.

DRG-1N Dragon

SDR-5K Spider

J. Edgar hovertank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'd prefer not to put the actual numbers in, on the off chance it'll piss off Catalyst Games. The Jenner had basically no chance to hit (3:36 (still worth taking the shots)), the Vulcan had a slightly better chance but rolled pretty terrible (it happens).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
here is a better thought out plan, though it is still in the early stages, it would mean that the dragon could take a few potshots, at either the griffin or me at partial cover but the ones in greatest danger he couldn't shoot at.

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

this also gives the jenner a cowardly and manly options, but if you do go manly watch your haeat things are going to only go bad to worst with an alpha strike.

i was more looking at the end spot then counting hexs :)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Okay, cool that's about all I needed to know :)

Edit: Provided you think I'm moving over the hill, yeah. That works (the hill is much less MP, mostly due to facing)
Edit2: My end spot in that case is 1707, which works nicely for me.

What is D doing there? (Nevermind, answered)

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 24, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This is the plan I'd go with, though I would probably swing D further south to flank. The Jenner's isolated already, so might as well try to at least ID that unknown contact. It's fast and agile enough that it should be able to survive for a turn or two before there's any real trouble. Unless the Dragon kicks it in half (which is unlikely).

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

This is the plan I'd go with, though I would probably swing D further south to flank. The Jenner's isolated already, so might as well try to at least ID that unknown contact. It's fast and agile enough that it should be able to survive for a turn or two before there's any real trouble. Unless the Dragon kicks it in half (which is unlikely).

I'd rather Jenner get out of there, we do better keeping him alive until we can A) Retreat after primary is completed or B)We can consolidate our fire on the Dragon.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Remember - you're mercs, not idiot House troops. Accomplish your objectives and get the hell out.

And don't risk the Jenner - parts for it are hard to come by. (There needs to be an :accounting101: smilie.)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Okay, cool that's about all I needed to know :)

Edit: Provided you think I'm moving over the hill, yeah. That works (the hill is much less MP, mostly due to facing)
Edit2: My end spot in that case is 1707, which works nicely for me.

if you could get to 1906 somehow that would let you be completely safe (heavy trees + light trees = no shot from the dragon)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

if you could get to 1906 somehow that would let you be completely safe (heavy trees + light trees = no shot from the dragon)

Alas, tis impossible I believe. Unless one can jumpjet and move.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Alas, tis impossible I believe. Unless one can jumpjet and move.

I am feeling that same way as i try to move myself, just one or two more movement points and it would be perfect for both cover and a shot.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Is recruitment closed?

As for the current scenario, I hate to say it but lucky is better than good. After so much contact, are you giving their mech's computers an opportunity to identify that unidentified Battlemech, or is it a unique/truely unknown-to-them design?

Is it a normal mech, a quad? Bird-walker or normal walker? Fists or weapon arms? Any distinguishing features? Or are you not telling us so we don't go out and identify it? :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Recruitment is still open (and probably will be in perpetuity).

It'd be identified if they actually had LOS on it at any point, but they haven't.

The dragon's on a level 3 hill. It's got line of sight, since heavy woods are height 2 and light woods are somewhere between height 1 and height 2.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Applying to be a mechwarriors. I'm cool with being whoever, but prefer the IS side of things.

wakhon at hotmail dot com

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Recruitment is still open (and probably will be in perpetuity).

It'd be identified if they actually had LOS on it at any point, but they haven't.

The dragon's on a level 3 hill. It's got line of sight, since heavy woods are height 2 and light woods are somewhere between height 1 and height 2.

Ahh. I think you may have missed a few volunteers, then. This thread is moving so quickly.

As for the LOS, whoops. I thought they had. My bad.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Tempest_56 posted:

That seems mostly solid. I plan on moving the Griffin forward a bit more so I can fire at short range and not medium, while also giving anyone who shoots at me a moving target penalty. Looking at 1407 as the most likely spot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Ahh. I think you may have missed a few volunteers, then. This thread is moving so quickly.

Not missed (probably), I just haven't updated the posted list for a few days since it's not a high priority. It's been updated now.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

I'd rather Jenner get out of there, we do better keeping him alive until we can A) Retreat after primary is completed or B)We can consolidate our fire on the Dragon.

Personal preference, perhaps. The Jenner's mint, it can withstand the firepower there. The Dragon and the hostile Jenner are pretty certain to move north and support the remaining Jed. In the south, the Spider is already faster than the Jenner and is likely to pursue anyhow, so K2 and D are gonna knife-fight anyway. In the process, we might as well get an ID on K1 before it pops out of the woods and right into our laps. Right now I'm wondering where their big guns are. They're suspiciously low on firepower, and I'm worried that K1 is something with big guns. All we know is that it's a light with at least 5/8 move. At this range, a Firestarter or Javelin could really mess us up if we're not prepared.

Kenlon posted:

Remember - you're mercs, not idiot House troops. Accomplish your objectives and get the hell out.

We're mercs. Salvage, man. You know how much a Dragon goes for these days on the market?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Jenner's are made out of tinfoil - it can't stand up to anything. Pull it north, back under the cover of the rest of the lance, doing everything you can to be hard to hit. If the Spider is dumb enough to come into the killzone, waste it, but don't leave yourself hanging out where one bad init roll kills you.

Given Kuritan 'mech preferences, there's a good chance that the unknown light is a Firestarter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It could very well be. It could also be something else, like another Jenner, or something hilariously sad like a Stinger or Wasp.

... But it's probably not. ;)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

Given Kuritan 'mech preferences, there's a good chance that the unknown light is a Firestarter.

I think it's everyones favorite chicken-legged infantry terror that's standing there.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I wouldn't rule out a Jenner. The DCMS has a ton of the drat things kicking around, and it was moving at a fair enough clip that it can't be a Panther.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I won't ID it, exactly. I will say it's not a typical Draconis Combine 'mech.

... which doesn't rule out a second Spider, since the Spider is actually only made in the Free Worlds League.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
My wager is that the damned thing's a Hussar 300-D. Long ranged pure-recon Mech, paper thin armor. Almost as abominably fast as the J. Edgars. Call it a hunch.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

My wager is that the damned thing's a Hussar 300-D. Long ranged pure-recon Mech, paper thin armor. Almost as abominably fast as the J. Edgars. Call it a hunch.

Oh jesus Hussars. Especially the H300-D variant. They really did not make the 'SLDF tech cannot be produced anymore' transition well, did they? I love 'em, but god they're fragile things.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Agent Interrobang posted:

Oh jesus Hussars. Especially the H300-D variant. They really did not make the 'SLDF tech cannot be produced anymore' transition well, did they? I love 'em, but god they're fragile things.

If they're running flat out, that's okay. What are they, 10/15? And that large laser they mount can give a cocky Mech some nasty surprises. I just think it fits the lance structure; three dedicated, speedy scouts and a fast heavy providing long range support for all three.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

If they're running flat out, that's okay. What are they, 10/15? And that large laser they mount can give a cocky Mech some nasty surprises. I just think it fits the lance structure; three dedicated, speedy scouts and a fast heavy providing long range support for all three.

It DOES make sense. In a mixed lance with conventional vehicle backup, you'd want something that could keep pace with the hovertanks. And a Hussar is a drat hard target if the pilot is anywhere near competent.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

It DOES make sense. In a mixed lance with conventional vehicle backup, you'd want something that could keep pace with the hovertanks. And a Hussar is a drat hard target if the pilot is anywhere near competent.

I really think that this will all play out based on how long it takes to take down the hovertank, i played a few games with just my blackjack and baring a explosion like before, it took about 6 rounds to knock it out on average. We may end up just retreating to the end of the board after killing it cause of general wear and tear and the other mechs circling, prolly taking a spider, or a jenner with us. But unless the LT gets a luck shot off, i think that dragon will still be live and running.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmmm. Looking over the wiki, the two possibilities I'm thinking about are a Commando or a Mongoose. Both look to be in service by this time and fit what PTN has specified (faster than a Panther, not a regular DC mech), and both look well-armed.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm looking forward to this thread. I like many people enjoy giant robots smashing other giant robots. I haven't ever played Battletech though so a lot of the info being dumped is taking some getting used to. Still like Poptart's previous STO thread I'd imagine I'll get sucked into the game like a bunch of people.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I submit for your giant stompy robot pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
drat, I thought I hit on a 10+ with that action (Catalyst game has posted a really good quick start guide on it's website if you're a battletech noob like me and want to learn the rules), which is a solid 1 in 6 chance of hitting him.

Anyway, it's a counter recon mission AND we do not have a force advantage. Ramboing is not a good idea. Instead I'm going to lurk behind the hill and threaten them, and
I also need to let my heat dissipate so I am fully mobile this round.

I'm thinking Jumpjet to 0911, with my Mech Chassis facing 0912 and torso twist back to conventional alignment (Facing: 0912). That puts me in a great position to switch sides if the spider comes around, or towards the back if they move into the kill sack, but my issue is do the forests still block LOS there?

Not sure how forests and Z levels work

If that position is too exposed, I will jump to 0712, facing 0913.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Kenlon posted:

Jenner's are made out of tinfoil - it can't stand up to anything.

It's a Spider 5K. Jenner's a light HK mech. It packs literally more than quadruple the firepower, more armor, only slightly less mobility and can flip arms so it doesn't even matter if the Spider gets behind it. Barring incredible bad dice luck in shooting, the Jenner has a massive advantage and should win almost every time. Hell, half the Spider's firepower is in machine guns. The Jenner can take it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Oh god, Robot Jox... I forgot that movie existed!

Sad thing is, the helmets the pilots are wearing in that? Small and lightweight compared to a Mechwarrior's neurohelmet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

WarLocke posted:

That was gloriously cheesy.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tempest_56 posted:

It's a Spider 5K. Jenner's a light HK mech. It packs literally more than quadruple the firepower, more armor, only slightly less mobility and can flip arms so it doesn't even matter if the Spider gets behind it. Barring incredible bad dice luck in shooting, the Jenner has a massive advantage and should win almost every time. Hell, half the Spider's firepower is in machine guns. The Jenner can take it.

Maybe - but why risk a 'mech when you don't have to? This is 3025 - 'mechs are rare and expensive and being Dispossessed is a serious worry. The Jenner is a heavily overgunned machine, and it's very common for people to lose them by focusing on offense rather than on working with their lancemates.

Pull back under the cover of the lance, annihilate the Spider if it gets in too close, and get the hell off the field.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Trast posted:

That was gloriously cheesy.

I died at the green laser part. Oh my.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They did get one pretty sizeable edge with the end of Star League tech, and that was the disappearance of Thunder LRMs. Those things are my go-to for stopping mechs like that.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So I felt bored and used megamek to do a Jenner vs Spider battle for the hell of it.

On turn 1 the Jenner slipped in Depth 1 water and died.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

So I felt bored and used megamek to do a Jenner vs Spider battle for the hell of it.

On turn 1 the Jenner slipped in Depth 1 water and died.

Confidence, I am now filled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori

Pladdicus posted:

Confidence, I am now filled with it.

Hey man, just avoid the car wash and you'll be fine.

• Locked thread