Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

As for magic armour technology, it helps that stuff like AC20 200mm shots have the density of water

Just another example of nerds caring way more about their weight units than game designers. I bet if you compared the volume of mechs to their specified weights they would also have absurdly low densities, since the tonnage figures are totally arbitrary values selected for game reasons rather than realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Agent Interrobang posted:

Pretty much all this. One of the default scenarios that comes loaded, a Clan Trial of Position, has you in a Stormcrow against two Novas and a Pouncer. Not only could the AI not kill me with three mechs, it got so freaked out by the fact that it couldn't get LOS due to terrain that it just kept futilely moving from side-to-side along the terrain blockage, while one of the Novas just... sat there, far outside its own weapon range, while I slowly tore it apart with laser-fire.

It was pretty goddamn :downsrim:

Dear PoptartsNinja:

I hope this finds you well. I would like to assure you, assure you that all of these scurrilous accusations about the MegaMek AI are completely unfounded. It is a vicious killer, a slayer of mechs and tanks sans pareil. It would be our great honor to be allowed to worthily press this most noble of possible opponents to the brink before our own efforts inevitably fail.

Yours,
-The Players

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mukaikubo posted:

Dear PoptartsNinja:

I hope this finds you well. I would like to assure you, assure you that all of these scurrilous accusations about the MegaMek AI are completely unfounded. It is a vicious killer, a slayer of mechs and tanks sans pareil. It would be our great honor to be allowed to worthily press this most noble of possible opponents to the brink before our own efforts inevitably fail.

Yours,
-The Players

PTN is going to replace said AI with Cardassian he's had locked in a basement with nothing to keep him company but a television that loops "Threshold", "Move Along Home", and Star Wars Holiday Special. What I am saying is he's been tortured and conditioned to hate us all. :ohdear:

And per those helpful replies to my question I will check out http://megamek.sourceforge.net/ and see how it goes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing that *really* gets me about megamek is the tendancy to corner the last Masakari Prime when it's one turn of solid pounding away from death, and have it decide to target all three of your remaining mechs with one PPC each and then headshot all of them...... seriously? Every time? Ooookay.... I guess you wouldn't lie, Mr AI.

Mukaikubo posted:

There. Hopefully that will head off the argument at the pass- you're both right depending on semantics. :)
I'm good, as long as we can all agree that needing an 11 to hit is piss poor odds.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Uh, no offense, Cythereal, but we've all been trying very hard not to mention THOSE. Mad Cats are common knowledge even to greenhorns, but not THOSE.

Please do not spoil THOSE.

PS: Mukaikubo, might wanna edit that quote.

I think you might be overestimating how uncommon the knowledge of those are - my greeness should be apparent, but I know what you are talking about.

quote:

I'm good, as long as we can all agree that needing an 11 to hit is piss poor odds.

Yeah, for some reason I'd decided that 4/36 = 1/12 :downs:

Overall though, the chance of hitting the Jenner is slim and I'd generate a lot of heat, whereas an Alpha strike on the spiders rear should do material damage.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 27, 2011

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think you might be overestimating how uncommon the knowledge of those are - my greeness should be apparent, but I know what you are talking about.

At the same time my knowledge of BattleTech is pretty extensive, but I'm not sure what he's talking about. I can guess, but that defeats the vow of silence. And if I'm wrong, spoils other surprises.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
She, but your point stands. :v: Even so, it will come as a surprise to some people, and will DEFINITELY be a surprise in narrative terms.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

She, but your point stands. :v: Even so, it will come as a surprise to some people, and will DEFINITELY be a surprise in narrative terms.

Sorry. A name like 'Cythereal' is kind of gender neutral, and 'he' is typically the safer guess.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

While THOSE may be somewhat well known, I doubt most of us are prepared for their pure kick-assitude compared to the average IS opponent. As I'm obviously not qualified, how about a pilot's seat? Put me in something like a tank though, I'm not 'Mech qualified. My E-mail is elite2012@ymail.com. Also, am I right in assuming the fourth succession war went a bit differently in this timeline?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Sorry. A name like 'Cythereal' is kind of gender neutral, and 'he' is typically the safer guess.

No no, I meant I'M a girl. I thought you were referring to me, what with me calling 'SPOILERZ' and whatnot. I have no idea about anyone else.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

elitebuster posted:

While THOSE may be somewhat well known, I doubt most of us are prepared for their pure kick-assitude compared to the average IS opponent. As I'm obviously not qualified, how about a pilot's seat? Put me in something like a tank though, I'm not 'Mech qualified. My E-mail is elite2012@ymail.com. Also, am I right in assuming the fourth succession war went a bit differently in this timeline?

I'm not sure if a "Fourth Succession War" per se has even broken out. I mean, The Fox never had his wedding declaration of war..

Yet.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm not sure if a "Fourth Succession War" per se has even broken out.

Yet.

Officially the 3028-3029 Davion Blitz, the Kurita response, and the Free Worlds League backstabbing the Capellans is considered the Fourth Succession War. It wasn't an IS-spanning free-for-all, but a WHOLE lot of worlds were attacked: Capellan space is more densely settled than any other region of the Inner Sphere.

EDIT: derp de durr, misread. Yes, there hasn't been one we know of in THIS timeline. The official one is above.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Officially the 3028-3029 Davion Blitz, the Kurita response, and the Free Worlds League backstabbing the Capellans is considered the Fourth Succession War. It wasn't an IS-spanning free-for-all, but a WHOLE lot of worlds were attacked: Capellan space is more densely settled than any other region of the Inner Sphere.

This is true, but the Fourth Succession War was kicked off by Hanse's toast at the wedding. The wedding has not occurred, so has the war?

It would be really interesting to see a comprehensive list on the changes to this universe. We know some of the major events (Widowmakers prevailing, Archon Katrina's death, etc) and some of the more subtle changes (Candace's death leading to Justin *supposedly* become a loyal Capellan), but we don't know *everything*.

e:fb

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm not sure if a "Fourth Succession War" per se has even broken out.

Yet.

Well, in The Sword and the Dagger, the Hanse clone was planning on making an announcement when his rear end was found out, and it pertained to relations between the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth, namely his planned nullification of all standing treaties between the two. I'm guessing by PTN's discription of Hanse's actions the clone is still in power in this timeline.

Oh poo poo...With no Steiner-Davion bloodline, there's no Victor Steiner-Davion...No Operation Serpent...NO HOPE!!!
The Clans are going to gently caress poo poo up...

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

This is true, but the Fourth Succession War was kicked off by Hanse's toast at the wedding. The wedding has not occurred, so has the war?

It would be really interesting to see a comprehensive list on the changes to this universe. We know some of the major events (Widowmakers prevailing, Archon Katrina's death, etc) and some of the more subtle changes (Candace's death leading to Justin *supposedly* become a loyal Capellan), but we don't know *everything*.

e:fb

Yeah, I would love to see what all has really changed. We know (can be fairly sure) this isn't the type of alternative history wehre there's One Single Divergence Point and ripples move outward from it, unless there's something able to affect Clan ancient history /and/ IS history at the same time. I may be forgetting something, but Katrina's death seems to me to be the earliest IS-only alteration I can find. (I'm not counting the lack of Wolf's Dragoons to be IS-only so shut it)

E: From the first page writeups, it seems like the marriage was killed by the Lyrans, not by Hanse.

E2: Look on the bright side! With Candace Liao dead, there's no way we'll ever suffer through Kai Allard-Liao being the best at everything, ever, and constantly being a whining insufferable guilt and doubt ridden tool to be even fun to read about! :v:

E3: Seriously, I can tolerate Mary Sue characters. Hanse Davion is awesome. Even Phelan Kell-Ward-Wolf is at least an interesting window on Clan society. But they have to be fun to read. Kai Allard-Liao? Just mope already.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 27, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Fires:

4 x Medium Laser at spider mech (K2)
1 x SRM at spider mech (K2)

Also: and now it's time for...

:science: BATTLETECH TACTICS! :science:

The above is the proper illustration of a mech's firing order. The order you fire your weapons in is important! Battletech weapons generally fall into two categories: Armor Piercing and Crit Seeking.

AP weapons are those that do damage in a single location when fired, ideally in a high number. The PPC is a good example of this: 1 hit of 10 points to a single location. It's good for cracking open the tough outer shell of a mech's armor by applying concentrated firepower to one spot. Smaller hits create a sandpaper effect, wearing down the armor somewhat evenly across all possible locations. Energy weapons and most autocannons fall into this category.

Crit Seeker weapons are those where a single shot can hit multiple places, like an SRM. They normally do less damage per hit, but the advantage is in their damage spread. Hitting different locations (an SRM6 can hit 6 different locations on a mech each time it shoots, for example) means a better chance of finding a location where there's no armor. Critical hits don't care how much damage you do, so a 1 point hit has the same critical chance as a 10 point hit. So low damage, multi-hit weapons are best. Missile weapons are the most common here, but some autocannons are also as are clusters of tiny guns (machine gun batteries, etc).

So when firing, ALWAYS fire your large single hit weapons first, and your multi-hit weapons last.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tempest_56 posted:

Crit Seeker weapons are those where a single shot can hit multiple places, like an SRM. They normally do less damage per hit, but the advantage is in their damage spread. Hitting different locations (an SRM6 can hit 6 different locations on a mech each time it shoots, for example) means a better chance of finding a location where there's no armor. Critical hits don't care how much damage you do, so a 1 point hit has the same critical chance as a 10 point hit. So low damage, multi-hit weapons are best. Missile weapons are the most common here, but some autocannons are also as are clusters of tiny guns (machine gun batteries, etc).

Good post, but small nit in reference to the bolded part: while true, none of those autocannons are produced in the Inner Sphere as of yet. So for the rookies, ACs for all intents and purposes are armor-piercing weapons across all sizes at this point in time.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

E2: Look on the bright side! With Candace Liao dead, there's no way we'll ever suffer through Kai Allard-Liao being the best at everything, ever, and constantly being a whining insufferable guilt and doubt ridden tool to be even fun to read about! :v:

E3: Seriously, I can tolerate Mary Sue characters. Hanse Davion is awesome. Even Phelan Kell-Ward-Wolf is at least an interesting window on Clan society. But they have to be fun to read. Kai Allard-Liao? Just mope already.

Oh my god, seriously. I don't care if the motherfucker can headshot an Atlas with a machinegun on a foggy night from unsteady footing. He's such a whiny, boringly-written douchebag that he doesn't even seem like an actual person. At least Phelan Kell has a sense of humor, even if it is the :smug: kind that makes me wish Vlad Ward would kick him in the crotch.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

elitebuster posted:

Oh poo poo...With no Steiner-Davion bloodline, there's no Victor Steiner-Davion...No Operation Serpent...NO HOPE!!!

In fairness, with the Clans invading this early, Victor would be a 2 year old. I doubt he would have been the key to stopping the Clans.

On the flipside, Hanse is still alive and ready to kick some clan rear end himself, should he so desire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

elitebuster posted:

Well, in The Sword and the Dagger, the Hanse clone was planning on making an announcement when his rear end was found out, and it pertained to relations between the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth, namely his planned nullification of all standing treaties between the two. I'm guessing by PTN's discription of Hanse's actions the clone is still in power in this timeline.

Frederick Steiner is still around, and despite what Vic's PR staff might claim, it was Focht who ran the show.

A Focht/Caesar teamup? The Clans have no chance.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Oh my god, seriously. I don't care if the motherfucker can headshot an Atlas with a machinegun on a foggy night from unsteady footing. He's such a whiny, boringly-written douchebag that he doesn't even seem like an actual person. At least Phelan Kell has a sense of humor, even if it is the :smug: kind that makes me wish Vlad Ward would kick him in the crotch.

One of the ways I get through Phelan Ward Is Awesome scenes is by deciding that being taken by the Clans and interrogated completely broke his mind apart, and that only by fanatically seizing on his surroundings was this profoundly, profoundly insane man able to restore some semblance of coherence to his mind and actions. It kind of explains some of the weirder parts of his story.

e: Oh hell yes Frederick Steiner is still Marshal of the Armies, isn't he? This is gonna be FUN.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

e: Oh hell yes Frederick Steiner is still Marshal of the Armies, isn't he? This is gonna be FUN.

Hells to the yes :swoon:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Really, think about the leadership elements the Clans are walking into here. Caesar Steiner, Frederick Steiner/Anastasius Focht, Maximillian Liao, Theodore Kurita, Hanse Davion, Janos Marik and the REAL Thomas Marik, Morgan Kell. This is like an old-school Inner Sphere dream-team.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Really, think about the leadership elements the Clans are walking into here. Caesar Steiner, Frederick Steiner/Anastasius Focht, Maximillian Liao, Theodore Kurita, Hanse Davion. This is like an old-school Inner Sphere dream-team.

And... and... um... Janos Marik?

:eng99:

Free worlds... pride... :effort:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Edited it before you even posted, pal. It mostly slipped my mind because relatively little ever gets done by the Free Worlds League that is NOT some kind of weird civil war, so I kinda forget what happens in it.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

And... and... um... Janos Marik?

:eng99:

Free worlds... pride... :effort:

Who cares, the canon Clan invasion corridor is opposite the FWL, which is why they were undamaged by the war.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Really, think about the leadership elements the Clans are walking into here. Caesar Steiner, Frederick Steiner/Anastasius Focht, Maximillian Liao, Theodore Kurita, Hanse Davion, Janos Marik and the REAL Thomas Marik, Morgan Kell. This is like an old-school Inner Sphere dream-team.

Maybe I'm getting my alterna-history mixed up, but I thought Morgan is dead in PTN's timeline?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Good post, but small nit in reference to the bolded part: while true, none of those autocannons are produced in the Inner Sphere as of yet. So for the rookies, ACs for all intents and purposes are armor-piercing weapons across all sizes at this point in time.

There's always the AC2! :pseudo:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Maybe I'm getting my alterna-history mixed up, but I thought Morgan is dead in PTN's timeline?

Nope, Morgan's still kicking! He was implicated(somehow) in Katrina Steiner's untimely demise, and so he and the rest of the Kell Hounds fled to Davion territory, where Hanse welcomed them with open arms as a consolation prize.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

it will fit on your LAM :byodood:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Yes. Yes there is. There are also sticks. And rocks. And many other weapons in the same catagory.

Axe-man posted:

it will fit on your LAM :byodood:

God drat it, 30 whole pages, now out comes the copyright infringment.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 27, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

We don't talk about the AC/2. :colbert:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

We don't talk about the AC/2. :colbert:

Clint Description posted:

* CLNT-2-4T - This variant of the Clint carries two Autocannon/2s in place of the single AC/5, giving it one of the longest ranges possible on such a small chassis. It also bears a single Medium Laser as a secondary weapon. Like the 1-2R variant, the 2-4T also has no jumping capability.

2 AC/2s and 1 medium laser. A scant 4.5 tons of armor. Decent mobility, but no jump jets. Did I mention only a single ton of autocannon armor for the autocannons?

:negative:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mukaikubo posted:

2 AC/2s and 1 medium laser. A scant 4.5 tons of armor. Decent mobility, but no jump jets. Did I mention only a single ton of autocannon armor for the autocannons?

dude tag that poo poo :nms:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

UberJew posted:

dude tag that poo poo :nms:

Why are you mocking the 'Mech Poptarts is going to put us all in when we first meet the Clans?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Why are you mocking the 'Mech Poptarts is going to put us all in when we first meet the Clans?

Ohhhhhhhhh so thats what we're doing.
<_<
>_>
Those stupid Mad cats are such poo poo.......

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mukaikubo posted:

I kind of enjoyed the reaction to him that the [REDACTED] gave when he busted them out of jail.

Also Erick Mahler turning up in a warzone AGAIN was pretty awesome.

Mukaikubo posted:

To be fair, that one ton will last for 22.5 rounds of shooting.......

VVVV that's actually slightly worrying really. I've been *highly* tempted to get my hands on a Kraken for my Jade Falcons. 10 UAC2 is fukken MURDER even without support.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 27, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

Lets not forget our first clan salvage: :v:

Rifleman IIC 2 - This variant removes all of the weapons and equipment, and replaces them with four Ultra Autocannon/2s and six tons of ammunition. The weight saved, plus a half ton from armor, is used to upgrade the engine to allow the 'Mech a top speed of 64 km/h. MechWarriors must be exceptionally wary of the large, vulnerable ammo bins.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Because so many people have volunteered to be Mechwarriors for this, Poptarts will solve it by giving every single one of us ALL crappy Clints or Spiders to face off against a single heavy star in our first engagement with the clanners. The survivors get to continue on.

Also, we need to invade clan space and beat up some garrison troops. I want to salvage my all-time favorite mech. I want a Hunchback IIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

VVVV that's actually slightly worrying really. I've been *highly* tempted to get my hands on a Kraken for my Jade Falcons. 10 UAC2 is fukken MURDER even without support.

Yeah, AC/2s are silly weapons, but if you take a big enough mech and just mount a shitton of them, you get the whole MG effect going on - but at ridiculous ranges. :black101:

• Locked thread