Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Centipeed posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks that using e-ink for video defeats the purpose of e-ink?

Phones are the big market here. If you look at the power usage stats for most phones, display is by far and away the biggest consumer of power. If you can get an eink display that performs as well as a traditional LCD when it does have to show motion, then you open up a whole new world of power savings.

It would also allow you do to things like keep the display on all the time so you can see notifications or the clock at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Murodese posted:

MangaTraders Scraping Script

There has never been a technology that nerds can't ruin.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

maxnmona posted:

There has never been a technology that nerds can't ruin.

see also; posting, yours

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Murodese posted:

My Kindle3 arrived today so this script is finally ready.

What does it do?

Supply it with either a list of rss feeds or a specific manga id off MangaTraders and it will grab, convert and optionally copy the lot to your device. Or store it in a working directory for you to do stuff with. Use either a cronjob or the windows task scheduler to get it to check your feeds regularly.

Does it only work with the Kindle?

Well, it converts it to a size and color palette appropriate for a K3. So anything similar to that should work fine. You can change the folder it saves to in the config (for kindles it's /pictures).

Why is this better than using Calibre?

For one, it's console based and easily automated (as is Calibre to an extent), but it's also based off Mangle, which makes things look much, much prettier than Calibre's comic book converter. Much prettier. It can also grab an entire manga series (I tried this once with One Piece, it worked well and that's a poo poo-ton of chapters).

My kindle is filled with chapter folders *gumble*

Sorry! You can either read chapter to chapter (in the case of new chapters, I guess) or entire series by choosing the appropriate entry. Delete the chapter out of your nominated folder from your Kindle when you're finished.

Everything's downloading really loving slowly.

MangaTrader's servers are pretty weak and their load balancer tends to balance loads by putting everything on the first two servers and leaving the fourth and fifth unused. On top of that, there's a single-file download limit, so I can't even thread downloads. That said, they do a fantastic job and if you're regularly ripping large series' I'd suggest kicking in some money towards their donation totals.

Something went horribly wrong!

Add --verbose to the command line and paste the result. If it's blocking at retrieving the content-type, welp :v: I'm guessing their servers are pretty awful and sometimes choose to just drop requests. If it loops trying to retrieve, kill it.

Usage:

mangatraders --help

It's pretty self-explanatory. To grab a whole series, search for it on MT and note the number in the url, then run:

mangatraders --manga id --copy

--copy copies the files to your device once it's finished. Explore settings.conf to add your username, password and desired folders. To check feeds, run:

mangatraders --feeds --copy

Screenshots

(screenshots off the kindle itself, the third being in fullscreen mode)

I was worried One Piece might look awful on a kindle because there's a tonne of small text, but it's actually quite readable and the drawing looks really nice :3:

Downloads

Executable: http://www.multiupload.com/KTG0CXZB6B
Source: http://www.multiupload.com/KMLBFEP4M3

lol manga nerd

i don't care it's useful for me gently caress yall :derp:

Maybe just what I needed to get away from Mangle...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sporadic posted:

I was kicking around the idea of buying a new Kindle. Does anybody know of a good sleeve case for it? I'm looking for something cheap that can protect the screen and easily be removed when I'm using the Kindle. I saw a few on Amazon but they want $30 for them.

I bought the lighted leather case eventually but I carried mine around in one of those little non-descript orange shipping bags from the post office that are padded...worked great for just a sleeve to carry it in.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Murodese posted:

I was worried One Piece might look awful on a kindle because there's a tonne of small text, but it's actually quite readable and the drawing looks really nice :3:

Do what you wanna do, doesn't harm me, but what the gently caress is this? What's happening and .... what?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

One Piece is basically indecipherable to anyone that hasn't read the previous 600-odd chapters, so uh...

(i don't know i haven't actually read the last 5-10 chapters either)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
you have over 33,000 masterpieces of human endeavor over thousands of years of mankind's existence free and at your fingertips for wherever you are in the world and yet you spend your time specifically coding for japanese manga.

I will never understand this next generation

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Guilty posted:

you have over 33,000 masterpieces of human endeavor over thousands of years of mankind's existence free and at your fingertips for wherever you are in the world and yet you spend your time specifically coding for japanese manga.

Dude, the character's "body is infinite" and he "forgot how much a mermaid cost".

That's some deep poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guilty posted:

It's not like it'd be any less nerdy if it was American comic books.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

fishmech posted:

It's not like it'd be any less nerdy if it was American comic books.

It's comic books, period. The one medium designed to be light weight and easily carried and widely available. There's a reason why it comes out in issues

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sweet, thanks for the manga thingamajig. It'll be nice to have Uzumaki around on my nooky-nook.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Murodese posted:

This looks like it'd be really useful but mangatraders is just way too slow. :smith:

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
Murodese, that's pretty sweet. Too bad I'm looking at getting a nook instead of a kindle. Oh, and gently caress the haters.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Guilty posted:

:kiddo:

quote:

This looks like it'd be really useful but mangatraders is just way too slow.

That's why I automated it :eng101: Pulling down the entirety of AN UN-NAMED SERIES took a little under an hour from memory (600-ish chapters)? Unless you're talking about release speed, in which case :geno:

quote:

Murodese, that's pretty sweet. Too bad I'm looking at getting a nook instead of a kindle. Oh, and gently caress the haters.

The greyscale nook screen is virtually identical to the Kindle's, so there's no problem there. The nook colour though :kiddo: I may add other devices at some point, but I'm not going to bother until someone asks for it.

quote:

It's comic books, period. The one medium designed to be light weight and easily carried and widely available. There's a reason why it comes out in issues

Some of the more popular manga run into the 600 chapter areas, making carrying them simply unrealistic. Of course, you'd never carry all 60? volumes at a time, but why not make use of the things we have available to us

Murodese fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 5, 2011

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Murodese posted:

That's why I automated it :eng101: Pulling down the entirety of 1p took a little under an hour from memory (600-ish chapters)? Unless you're talking about release speed, in which case :geno:

I tried downloading yotsubato and after 20 minutes it still hadn't downloaded a volume. :v:

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Guilty posted:

Geez why don't people read novels in serial form anymore

Murodese posted:

The greyscale nook screen is virtually identical to the Kindle's, so there's no problem there. The nook colour though :kiddo: I may add other devices at some point, but I'm not going to bother until someone asks for it.

Ah so this script would work for nook as well? (Clearly I don't know how it works.) Cool.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

manguero posted:

Ah so this script would work for nook as well? (Clearly I don't know how it works.) Cool.

Sure, assuming the nook loads pictures as books the same way as the kindle. If not, it's pretty trivial to add code to package it back into a cbz if it needs that. Just change the devicefolder as required.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Murodese posted:

Sure, mine arrived today. You can buy your books from elsewhere and use Calibre to convert them, in most instances. I'm more than happy with mine so far :3:

e; speaking of which, is there anywhere in Australia to get a decent kindle case? I'm guessing no.

Could you point me to any sites that get around the region issues? I'm having a lot of problems finding them.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
2 minutes, 37 seconds.

That's how long it took between dialing Amazon Kindle customer service and getting a credit for a new Kindle case (I've had to charge it 5 times since Christmas with very light usage and it just started losing my place last night).

I loving love Amazon.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Aphasian posted:

Don't have to be good at photoshop; as a proof of concept I went to Wordle, pasted the complete text of The Yellow Wallpaper (it's in the public domain) and-- after resizing it slightly in XnView Portable--got this:

Or you could just search for typographic art.
Way late on this but I love this site, thanks for introducing me to it. I finally took the time to sit down and make a few, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I did them the quick and dirty way by just copying the plot summaries from Wikipedia, then resizing and saving as .PNGs. Yeah it's just Wikipedia so it's hit and miss, but they look great on my Nook E-Ink. I'd imagine they'd work for other e-readers too.

Screensavers (800x600)

Wallpaper (800x760)
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/SnowCrash.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/Neuromancer.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/MountainsofMadness.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/HerbertWestReanimator.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/CallOfCthulu.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/BloodMeridian.png

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Murodese posted:

Sure, assuming the nook loads pictures as books the same way as the kindle. If not, it's pretty trivial to add code to package it back into a cbz if it needs that. Just change the devicefolder as required.

How do I run the different commands? I just want it to download One Piece and Bleach, but it's only downloading the latest 2-3 issues. How do I get it to download the whole thing. I see where you say "run mangatraders --manga id --copy" but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to type that it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

REDACTED's series id is 6 (http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/6), so you'd go to the folder where mangatraders.exe is, shift-right-click on the folder background, choose "open command console window" and type:

mangatraders --manga 6 --copy

For REDACTED, exactly the same thing (but with ID changed). If you don't want it to copy it onto your device, don't type --copy.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 5, 2011

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Could you please add a quick way to change the output resolution? I like viewing stuff in landscape on my Sony, so the res ends up pretty non-standard... 1067 x 800 I think.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maybe someone can help me here.

I got my Kindle 3 loving days ago and already me or my boyfriend hosed it up. I downloaded a sample of a book that he wanted to read and deleted it after he was done. I browsed the Kindle bookstore for about an hour or so, and suddenly I get this message that I can't connect to WiFi, even though I have 4 bars and it says I'm connected.

I went to read my book instead and all it comes up with is a blank page and the name of the deleted sample. I can't do anything except go home from there. It happened with another sample I downloaded, too.

I shut it on and off twice to see if that would help, and turned off and on the WiFi options, and none of that helped. I cant even go Menu>Settings>Menu>Restart because for some reason no menu pops up once I get to settings.

Now when I turn it back on my sample of another book is gone and my book I bought is in archives and I'm unable to read it. Help :( I don't know what to do...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have no idea if there's any way to fix it, but Amazon's customer service for the Kindle is probably the best you'll ever deal with. Give them a call and you'll probably end up with a new one in the mail.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yeah, 3 other people just told me the exact same thing. I'm exasperated right now...

Edit: And Amazon saved me! I love them...

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 30, 2011

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Jimlad posted:

Could you please add a quick way to change the output resolution? I like viewing stuff in landscape on my Sony, so the res ends up pretty non-standard... 1067 x 800 I think.

http://www.multiupload.com/PF75QMG4F2 (fixed)

Change the res in settings.conf.

Mangle will sometimes rotate images if they fit weirdly, so you might find that it rotates them to portrait anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 31, 2011

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Murodese posted:

http://www.multiupload.com/XR6ICE3B2Z

Change the res in settings.conf.

Mangle will sometimes rotate images if they fit weirdly, so you might find that it rotates them to portrait anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Great, thanks! I won't get to try it for a while unfortunately, but hopefully it'll benefit other people too.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Shnooks posted:

Yeah, 3 other people just told me the exact same thing. I'm exasperated right now...

Edit: And Amazon saved me! I love them...

I found some super secret footage of what happens to broken kindles at amazon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJT07D8scI
They didn't show the part at the end when they send you a working kindle though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Way late on this but I love this site, thanks for introducing me to it. I finally took the time to sit down and make a few, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I did them the quick and dirty way by just copying the plot summaries from Wikipedia, then resizing and saving as .PNGs. Yeah it's just Wikipedia so it's hit and miss, but they look great on my Nook E-Ink. I'd imagine they'd work for other e-readers too.

K, I'm going to actually start adding screen savers to the first page this time.

Although this is to say I am not going back through this thread looking for what was posted before, so if you have posted before, please repost and i'll add it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 30, 2011

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
What's the general feeling for the Lyra light for the Nook? I'm heading up to Vermont this week and would like to have something to read with at night instead of keeping my roommate up all night by keeping the light on.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

screenwritersblues posted:

What's the general feeling for the Lyra light for the Nook? I'm heading up to Vermont this week and would like to have something to read with at night instead of keeping my roommate up all night by keeping the light on.

I like mine. It's not terribly bright, but its small, and good enough to read by.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

BannedNewbie posted:

I like mine. It's not terribly bright, but its small, and good enough to read by.

Perfect. Picking it up tomorrow.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Murodese posted:

Sure, mine arrived today. You can buy your books from elsewhere and use Calibre to convert them, in most instances. I'm more than happy with mine so far

e; speaking of which, is there anywhere in Australia to get a decent kindle case? I'm guessing no.

I repeat: what good sites are there that will sell to Australians? I am having a hard time finding anything. It's utterly ludicrous how little is available on my Kindle. Truly pathetic.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Neurosis posted:

I repeat: what good sites are there that will sell to Australians? I am having a hard time finding anything. It's utterly ludicrous how little is available on my Kindle. Truly pathetic.
ebooks.com and fictionwise.com are both pretty decent.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Whoops, sorry, missed that before.

ebookbop.com.au are sometimes not completely awful, but generally I'm getting my books through american stores and just converting them with calibre - most don't require a real address or specifically an american credit card, and the few that have ip-geochecks can be pretty easily circumvented with a free vpn tunnel (ie. http://tunnelbroker.net). It does suck that we have to jump through an extra hoop, but if you can't be bothered doing any of that, return it - just don't expect any other device not to have the same problem :kiddo:

you could also burn down some book copyright agencies who refuse to license books globally as well i guess

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

maduin posted:

ebooks.com and fictionwise.com are both pretty decent.

Fictionwise, at least, has a region restriction.

Murodese, many, many thanks. :)

As a superlative student of Australian intellectual property law I understand the vague reasons why things are as they are but it still enrages me when people don't want to take my money!

I apologise if I seemed antagonistic, but it is truly annoying to search for hours for a site willing to sell me a Robert Silverberg book. Or, indeed, willing to sell me something less obscure like Pale Fire.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 31, 2011

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no idea if there's any way to fix it, but Amazon's customer service for the Kindle is probably the best you'll ever deal with. Give them a call and you'll probably end up with a new one in the mail.

This is exactly why I only buy stuff from Amazon and why I went with a Kindle over a Nook/Alternatives. Hell, for christmas I was given a few Best Buy certificates I kept putting off using because I couldn't find anything I wanted, especially for the prices Amazon has.. So I used those BB certificates to buy Amazon certificates (since best buy carries them near their Kindles).

The unlit case fiasco recently was a stark reminder. First, not only did the phone call take like 2 minutes, but I got refunded for both my case an my wife's case at $70.00, but then was also give $50 totally free dollars intended to upgrade us to the lit case, but could be applied to anything. And they just let us keep the original cases, so in a way, they just gave us $50 and 2 free cases. I'm stopping using mine, I get reboots, but my wife hasn't had it happen once on hers.. Odd.

Plus I've never had amazon even attempt to argue a return of any sort. Fantastic company.

I ended up picking up the "Marware Eco-Vue Kindle Folio" which should be arriving maybe tomorrow. Closest thing to the unlit case functionality wise, but without frustrating enclosures and tons of bells/whistles I don't want. Here's hoping I like it.

Whats with the lit case battery drain I'm hearing about. Are they having issues with that one now too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Ugh, last version of my script (with the ability to modify output resolution) was bugged. Fixed version (with some dead-content-server fixes as well) is below.

http://www.multiupload.com/PF75QMG4F2