Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well that's fantastic, thank you Telus. I know it's been mentioned before in this thread but how's Eastlink? They do cable in my small BC town and they don't seem to have limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is there anyone who seems like they'll be maintaining reasonable caps? I'm stuck with primus until I move (Only here till the end of april, and I don't want to bother getting a new connection for feb/march/april). I'll probably wind up in the Toronto area. I'm guessing tekksavvy is the only choice?

Heh. Knowing this was coming, I've used ~500gb of data this month. X_X

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there anyplace with info/details on how much the gov't has subsidized the building of the internet infrastructure the big providers are using?

It would be a nice card to pull out to use against the "IT'S A PRIVATE BUSINESS THEY CAN CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT HURR HURR" folks, if it is the case.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
seems like a good thread to put this in.

A quote from the PR guy at bell from an article about netflix in Canada:

quote:

“A bit is a bit is a bit. If you’re a heavy user, regardless of what’s causing the heavy use, you will pay more. That’s the concept,” said Mirko Bibic, Bell Canada’s senior vice-president for regulatory affairs. “The caps we’ve established are well above our average users. If you’re a super-super heavy user, you should pay more.”

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

less than three posted:

For any of you who switched to Telus (or remember their PR guy saying on TV that they wouldn't be charging overages.)

I love that. A month ago "We wont charge for Overages!" they get a ton of signups, most probably in three year contracts, and since it wasn't in writing 'Lol, just kidding'

They got to use the CBC for free advertising as well..

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

blackswordca posted:

I love that. A month ago "We wont charge for Overages!" they get a ton of signups, most probably in three year contracts, and since it wasn't in writing 'Lol, just kidding'

They got to use the CBC for free advertising as well..

CBC has a hardon for the CRTC. They've got a loving section about it on their website.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

quote:

“A bit is a bit is a bit. If you’re a heavy user, regardless of what’s causing the heavy use, you will pay more. That’s the concept,” said Mirko Bibic, Bell Canada’s senior vice-president for regulatory affairs. “The caps we’ve established are well above our average users. If you’re a super-super heavy user, you should pay more.”
I love these kind of quotes. All you have to do is say, and what about the rest of the world with caps literally ten times the size or more of yours? Or just plain unlimited at 5 times the speed and half the price? Clearly, Bell is doing it right and 90% of the world is doing it wrong. Am I right? And a bit from Bell is a special bit that doesn't count.

loving fuckhead mouthpiece.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion+Usage+based+billing+time+come/4180711/story.html

Oh, stories like this make me laugh..

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

blackswordca posted:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion+Usage+based+billing+time+come/4180711/story.html

Oh, stories like this make me laugh..

Shithead von smugenmire posted:

Or, to put it another way, if every hour of HD represents 2.6 GB, you could stream 96 hours a month, or more than three hours a day, every day. Anyone watching that much video needs to get a life.
Clearly you should be spending that time reading a dollar an issue rag. The best part about it, is that there isn't even the faintest whiff of a consideration made here. What about a family of four? You mean to tell me that if they each watch 45 minutes of HD video a day, they need lives and are abusing the system?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I demand a refund for the bandwidth I spent to load up that lovely opinion piece.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I don't even care how many hours worth of tv or games are represented by such and such giabytes. If I pay monthly for a 1MB connection, my cap should be 1MB*60s*60m*24h*30d = 2.6TB

ie. the only way I could conceivably beat my cap is by somehow abusing my account with 2 connections or something.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I was reading that in Nova Scotia they are putting in fiber that can pull 170 mbit or something like that.. whats the point of a service that can blow through your monthly cap in under an hour

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I love that guy's car analogy. You need gas to run a car, dumbass. He forgot that highway is like the line transferring the bits, not the loving car. We don't pay more for the highway if we drive 100 times more in a month than someone else. Of course you would pay more for gas, it's inherent to the operation of a car. Does it actually cost more, besides in electricity cost, to send bits up and down a dumb pipe? :iiaca:

In fact, every highway except the 407 (maybe a few more?) is funded by everyone, just like the infrastructure for our internet was, wow. Except there's no one company imposing their will on drivers for usage fees.

And people arguing for this crap secretly hopes that no one knows about the rest of the world's Internet access options?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 28, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The whole thing was filled with stupid analogies, he had the good old "... like what it costs to deliver mail!" whopper right at the beginning. I love when that one gets trotted out. I sent him a polite email he doesn't deserve trying to correct him on a few things while painting the broadstrokes about why its bad for Canada but I doubt he will read it beyond the analogies I tried to throw in.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Is there anyplace with info/details on how much the gov't has subsidized the building of the internet infrastructure the big providers are using?

It would be a nice card to pull out to use against the "IT'S A PRIVATE BUSINESS THEY CAN CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT HURR HURR" folks, if it is the case.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...asBoGqw&cad=rja

I haven't read it in depth, but a few numbers:
Federal: $410m since 2003
$260m from Ontario
$17m from Yukon
$193m from Alberta
$75m from Quebec
$129m from Sask.
$30m from BC

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Pweller posted:

I don't even care how many hours worth of tv or games are represented by such and such giabytes. If I pay monthly for a 1MB connection, my cap should be 1MB*60s*60m*24h*30d = 2.6TB

ie. the only way I could conceivably beat my cap is by somehow abusing my account with 2 connections or something.

You can't be serious... Come on man get a loving clue. This is just ridiculous.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
It's not unreasonable to charge the highest users more for the bandwidth they use. Just that the cap needs to start at a higher point, and the price needs to be loving realistic. Two dollars a gigabyte, right now, is about 200 times higher than it actually *should* be -- I don't think anyone would be pissy if they paid their flat fee or $35 or whatever for the first hundred gigs and then another cent for each gig after that.

And whatever the situation is now, it should *always* trend towards lower costs and more throughput. Right now it's doing exactly the opposite.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a knee jerk reaction to their TV services and Movie Rental services taking a huge nose dive.

That said, I'm going to also add the many stories that Bell are complete dicks when you try to cancel on them, even a landline they are complete and utter dicks who try to shove $200 in charges and fees that are completely illegal basically, lies, it's fraud but I doubt they expect anyone to see em through on it.

Cancelled a landline, they tried to insist I agreed to a year contract when the service was upgraded at one point, I refuted that said they had nothing on paper, no recorded conversation saying I agreed to that and that I wouldn't pay their insane cancellation fee, they eventually cleared the insane cancellation fee. The whole time was spent arguing with ESL indians who frequently feigned misunderstanding.

However they won't stop sending me junk mail asking me to come back to their lovely service.

Rogers however haven't been much grief at all in terms of customer service.

CRTC is indeed useless though, between not standing up to ISP's to changing a law that would allow news media to tell lies so long as they don't hurt public health/safety/welfare I fully expect that the latter will be used to reinforce their phoney stances on bandwith usage.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Wonder what spin the ads will have now?

"With our new enforced caps, we are protecting our customers from the dangers of unlimited internet use such as viruses and stolen identities"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Godinster posted:

CBC has a hardon for the CRTC. They've got a loving section about it on their website.
They had some jerkoff on their Metro Morning show who's argument went like this:

1) In a restaurant I would be upset if I was forced to pay for a glutton at another table.
2) Abolish the CRTC, blah blah free market
3) Small businesses and indie content providers who make videos 30-60sec long will benefit from this :confused:
4) Internet is a natural monopoly and should be delivered by the government like water, where he is still in favour of UBB.

How he got to point #4 after all that trash was beyond me, so I called in to complain that the internet has near-zero variable cost and this is all about the big telecom companies protecting their TV by making you pay them for media regardless of how you get it.

The guest was on at roughly 6:45AM if you want to complain:
http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/contact/

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the other bandwidth capping thread.

quote:

Like that other guy have mentioned, New Zealand is a pretty good example how things can turn around rather quickly. They had poo poo all competition just a few years ago with high price, low cap adsl1, and now they all have better caps, faster speed and most of the cabinets are being upgraded towards VDSL fed by fiber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_New_Zealand

quote:

First Broadband

In 1999 Telecom New Zealand began providing broadband internet (ADSL) under the name JetStream. There was a progressive roll out into local exchanges. Telecom's JetStream services were offered by many different Internet service providers (ISPs), with Telecom billing for all data usage and the ISP charging for authentication and other services such as a static IP address. Home users were offered 'starter' plans at 128 kbit/s upload and download. Speeds greater than 128 kbit/s were extremely expensive and extra data (beyond the allowance) was charged at over $0.10 per MB. Telecom progressively introduced lower cost home options. Businesses were able to access 'full speed' services at up to 8 Mbit/s downstream and 800 kbit/s upstream, with data charges up to $0.20 per MB.

During March 2004 a 256 kbit/s home service was introduced with a 10 GB allowance for NZ$70.

In 2005 the government mandated Unbundled Bitstream Service (UBS) at a maximum upstream bandwidth of 128 kbit/s.[6] This allowed ISPs to bill for their client's data usage. Telecom initially specified a 256 kbit/s downstream, but added 1 Mbit/s and 2 Mbit/s options later in the year. Telecom provided this in addition to the existing Jetstream plans.

In late 2005 Telecom cancelled its previous wholesale arrangements for JetStream and its plans with other ISPs. Only Telecom's own ISP, Xtra, could sell plans faster than the UBS options. Offering the 8 Mbit/s/800 kbit/s plans exclusively. ISPs ihug and Slingshot are still lobbyed to have full-speed access to ADSL, at up to 8 Mbit/s.

In February 2006 Telecom announced its intention to offer a speed upgrade on their wholesale.[7] It was reported that some providers would likely reject the offer, though Telecom believed that negotiations were continuing well.[8]

In April 2006 Telecom New Zealand introduced new cheaper services with download speeds up to 3.5 Mbit/s, some thought this was to avoid regulatory Local Loop Unbundling (LLU). In May 2006 Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) was announced as part of a comprehensive telecommunications package.[9]

Monopoly Concerns

In early 2006, there were growing concerns about below par broadband in New Zealand. On the whole, Telecom's upstream speeds (128 kbit/s) and data caps had resulted in New Zealand's internet connections being ranked amongst the worst in the OECD. Competitors were making some changes such as offering higher data caps (XTRA's data caps averaged from 1 to 10 gigabytes of data per month, while competitors such as ihug offered 40 and 60 GB options, or Xnet who offered free national data on their ADSL plans.) In mid 2006, Telecom still had control over the network including speeds and how much data they supplied each "UBS" customer.

Amidst growing pressure from the government, Telecom boosted downloads to 3.5 Mbit/s and uploads to 512 kbit/s (at high costs such as $20/mth more just for increased upload speeds). Competitors and customers reported slower than expected speeds,[10] with one ISP director criticizing Telecom's backhaul network.[11] The new plans were also criticised for reducing the data caps on downloads.

Unleashing Speeds

In May 2006, the government announced a comprehensive telecommunications package including unbundling of the local loop to allow other ISPs to compete more effectively against Telecom's DSL offerings. The New Zealand Institute think-tank has estimated that the economic benefits of competitive broadband access could be worth as much as NZD $4.4 billion a year to New Zealand's gross domestic product. [2] [3]

On the 26th of October 2006, Telecom "unleashed" the download speeds on their network, meaning download speeds went as fast as the lines could go. Additionally, there was also an unlimited download plan, which was also uncapped, however 128kb upload, and a fair usage policy which is put in place to temporarily limit the speeds for customers who have high usage or make use of peer-to-peer connections via traffic shaping - basically limiting a so-called "unlimited" plan. This plan only lasted for a few months until it became clear that Telecom were restricting all traffic (not just peer-to-peer) during all times of the day (instead of the 8 peak hours per day stated). Because of this, all subscribers on the so-called "Go Large" plan were given a refund for up to 2 months worth of service, and the plan is now no longer available to new subscribers.

In March 2007 Telecom started to introduce ADSL2+ into local exchanges through their roll-out programme.

This is a pretty drat refreshing quote from a commission who is actually looking into the future instead of just wanting a pile of money.

quote:

The September Connecting to Our Digital Future report, warned that broadband roll out needed to be accelerated otherwise New Zealand would increasingly struggle to trade in infrastructure-based markets. It said plans to make it to the top quarter of the OECD broadband numbers by the extended deadline of 2015 needed to be ramped up considerably.

NZCID, which commissioned the report, said international trends showed that within seven years, technology, research, film, medical, and financial services industries would require public data speeds of 100Mb/sec with gigabit speeds following closely behind. The second major report on the state of our IC&T infrastructure was delivered by the New Zealand Institute in its Defining a Broadband Aspirations which claimed economic benefits to the country through pervasive higher speed broadband could range between $2.7 billion to $4.4 billion a year. It said that by 2012 most homes would demand more downstream bandwidth than ADSL or ADSL2+ would be able to provide. Within a decade, it was likely speeds of 50-100Mbit/sec would be demanded in many parts of the market.

Lastly there's an article on ars talking about NZ is also funding and building a nationwide fibre network that will cover 75% of the population by 2020. Good for them and I think the way they are doing it is brilliant.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/75-of-new-zealanders-to-get-100mbps-fiber-by-2020.ars

quote:

75% of New Zealanders to get 100Mbps fiber by 2020
By Nate Anderson | Last updated 7 months ago

Taking a page from the Australian broadband playbook, New Zealand has decided not to sit around while incumbent DSL operators milk the withered dugs of their cash cow until it keels over from old age. Instead, the Kiwis have established a government-owned corporation to invest NZ$1.5 billion for open-access fiber to the home. By 2020, 75 percent of residents should have, at a bare minimum, 100Mbps down/50 Mbps up with a choice of providers.

Crown Fibre Holdings Limited is the company, and it's wholly owned by the government—for now—and the company's mission couldn't be any clearer. Two of its six guiding principles include "focusing on building new infrastructure, and not unduly preserving the 'legacy assets' of the past" and "avoiding 'lining the pockets' of existing broadband network providers."

The New Zealand government set up the company late last year, but the government won't install and own the network by itself. Instead, Crown Fibre will partner with local companies across New Zealand to roll out fiber. Those companies will have to invest their own money as well, but in return they become part of the national dark fiber open-access system envisioned by Crown Fibre.

Here's how it works: every fiber builder who takes government money needs to lay basic, unmanaged dark fiber that any ISP can light in order to offer service to a particular home or business. The fiber companies can also run some particular Layer 2 services, but they can't offer full-blown Internet access directly. Instead, they are allowed to sell Internet access to their own retail unit so long as it operates like a separate business, and all other ISPs must be offered access at the same rate.

This keeps the government from simply "setting the price" and undercutting the market, but it also means that anyone can use the fiber infrastructure without competitive disadvantage.

Once the ten-year buildout ends, Crown Fibre will convert to a "successful, profit driven business" that oversees the complete network, shares in its revenues, and ensures national interoperability. (For the complete business arrangements, see appendix 2 of the government's Invitation to Participate [PDF]).

The government's 2010 budget, announced a few weeks ago, includes more cash for Crown Fibre's work. "This funding will enable Crown Fibre Holdings to start making substantial contract commitments with the private sector to start rolling out the new fibre network," said Deputy Prime Minister Bill English.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

DaNzA posted:

Lastly there's an article on ars talking about NZ is also funding and building a nationwide fibre network that will cover 75% of the population by 2020. Good for them and I think the way they are doing it is brilliant.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/75-of-new-zealanders-to-get-100mbps-fiber-by-2020.ars

That's amazing and done really well. I'd be proud to see the Canadian government do the same.

:canada:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THANK YOU

http://openmedia.ca/blog/cbc-news-pays-openmediaca-visit

CBC News segment with good sound bites.

Also http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/netflix-charging-by-the-gigabyte-is-ridiculous.ars :

Netflix posted:

Netflix: ISPs who charge by the gigabyte are ridiculous

Some ISPs want to start charging customers by the gigabyte, or they want to set low data caps and charge overage fees. Netflix has a word for this idea: ripoff.

In the company's most recent financial report (PDF), released today, Netflix made clear its view that the move to usage-based billing is about ISP profit, not actual costs.

Wired ISPs have large fixed costs of building and maintaining their last mile network of residential cable and fiber. The ISPs’ costs, however, to deliver a marginal gigabyte, which is about an hour of viewing, from one of our regional interchange points over their last mile wired network to the consumer is less than a penny, and falling, so there is no reason that pay-per-gigabyte is economically necessary. Moreover, at $1 per gigabyte over wired networks, it would be grossly overpriced.

Netflix notes that it already delivers much of its traffic to "regional ISP front doors"; that is, it uses content delivery networks to get streaming video geographically close to customers who request it. That way, the video does not have to transit across the country on an ISP network, and local delivery should be quite inexpensive. (This was part of the recent peering spat between Comcast and Level 3, which is now carrying some Netflix traffic.)

Netflix pledges to "do what we can to promote the unlimited-up-to-a-large-cap model" and to keep the 'Net from a strict metering approach that becomes totally divorced from costs. Such metering would also have the effect, of course, of making an ISP's own video services, most of which are delivered separately from "the Internet," more attractive.

Internet users have largely sided with Netflix's view of the situation. They rebelled when Time Warner Cable tested low data caps and overage fees, eventually forcing the company to reverse course, and they're currently protesting so loudly in Canada that the government regulator has had to take some action. But when ISPs have set huge caps, like Comcast's 250GB limit, few complaints have arisen.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 28, 2011

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

orange lime posted:

What motivation do they have to decrease their costs? You already pay exactly what they want you to, and they're the only game in town. There is literally no reason for them to do anything that benefits you because what do they get out of it?
Yeah, this is what's bugging me. UBB as an ITMP measure might make sense if they were up against some sort of hard physical limit, like spectrum or some such thing. But that's not the problem. The PROBLEM is that they under-anticipated demand in the age of ubiquitous streaming and downloadable media.

So they could invest in upgrades. But will they? HELL no! Why WOULD they? Over-capacity will just provide incentives to gouge customers and resellers THAT much more. If they DID increase their capacity, it would just make it that much more likely that the resellers could successfully go to the CRTC and say that they're charging too much to be justifiable as a traffic-management measure, which could mean that the CRTC forces them to drop the rates or revisits the reseller-UBB decision.

And because they're all part of cozy oligopolies (except in Saskatchewan, which is probably going to end up with the best internet in Canada thanks to SaskTel), there won't be competition. It'll NEVER increase. We will have 25-60 gig caps FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. Your loving KIDS will have those caps.

(Until they start exploiting it to channel you towards "free" websites. Which is the end-point for all this, of course. Once the Canadian public gets used to caps, they'll start discriminating on wired connections just as they do with wireless.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nomenklatura posted:

Yeah, this is what's bugging me. UBB as an ITMP measure might make sense if they were up against some sort of hard physical limit, like spectrum or some such thing. But that's not the problem. The PROBLEM is that they under-anticipated demand in the age of ubiquitous streaming and downloadable media.

I feel I should post this again

Bell's capacity is doing just fine. There is no problem except that Bell wanted to monetize per-gigabyte and was losing customers to independents using their DSLAM because of it. If there is capacity problems they're really localized. Bell admits this itself in its CRTC filings.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Thanks, I hope that the OpenMedia guys are bandying this about. It's a good counter to the "heavy users should pay more" line.

(Another response might simply be "We don't charge cable users by the program. Why charge internet users by the byte?")

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nomenklatura posted:

So they could invest in upgrades. But will they? HELL no! Why WOULD they? Over-capacity will just provide incentives to gouge customers and resellers THAT much more. If they DID increase their capacity, it would just make it that much more likely that the resellers could successfully go to the CRTC and say that they're charging too much to be justifiable as a traffic-management measure, which could mean that the CRTC forces them to drop the rates or revisits the reseller-UBB decision.

And because they're all part of cozy oligopolies (except in Saskatchewan, which is probably going to end up with the best internet in Canada thanks to SaskTel), there won't be competition. It'll NEVER increase. We will have 25-60 gig caps FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. Your loving KIDS will have those caps.

(Until they start exploiting it to channel you towards "free" websites. Which is the end-point for all this, of course. Once the Canadian public gets used to caps, they'll start discriminating on wired connections just as they do with wireless.)

Stop believing the lie that they HAVE bandwidth problems! Where's the proof they have any kind of need for upgrades?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

fishmech posted:

Stop believing the lie that they HAVE bandwidth problems! Where's the proof they have any kind of need for upgrades?

Where's the proof that they don't? That's the problem. There's no way to get reliable data like this without going directly to the source and we have no idea if they're lying or not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nitr0 posted:

Where's the proof that they don't? That's the problem. There's no way to get reliable data like this without going directly to the source and we have no idea if they're lying or not.

The proof is that people in this thread were happily doing hundreds of gigabytes per month with no issue! If there were congestion problems, they would know about it, because poo poo would get slow.

Congestion isn't invisible!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dudebro posted:

I love that guy's car analogy. You need gas to run a car, dumbass. He forgot that highway is like the line transferring the bits, not the loving car. We don't pay more for the highway if we drive 100 times more in a month than someone else. Of course you would pay more for gas, it's inherent to the operation of a car. Does it actually cost more, besides in electricity cost, to send bits up and down a dumb pipe? :iiaca:
The thing that drives me up the wall with those making this type of argument is that it pretends that everyone against this move obviously wants everything for free, and doesn't understand that while the concept of usage based billing sounds fair, that isn't what's being implemented.

Someone on TVO used this metaphor to explain why this isn't UBB in the way that they are trying to position it as. Imagine if gas stations operated like this (instead of the actual legitimate UBB way they operate now). You pay the same flat rate of 10 gallons. Did you fill up 7 gallons this time? $50. 3 gallons? $50. A litre? $50. Did you fill up 12 gallons? Well that's $60 because anything over 10 has a significant overage fee. It's obvious that everyone's getting ripped off here and yet for some reason this is argued as acceptable for telcos.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

fishmech posted:

The proof is that people in this thread were happily doing hundreds of gigabytes per month with no issue! If there were congestion problems, they would know about it, because poo poo would get slow.

Congestion isn't invisible!

Yea! A bunch of random people on an internet forum spread around Canada is a great way to determine congestion issues!!!!!!!

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Yea! A bunch of random people on an internet forum spread around Canada is a great way to determine congestion issues!!!!!!!

Instead of fixing a broken car a better solution would to stop using it as often right? The issue is even if they're having congestion problems they should trying to fix it instead of stopping people from using it. The problem will only get worse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nitr0 posted:

Anyone who's not experiencing congestion does not have congestion issues!

And of course, even if there WERE congestion issues, bandwidth caps wouldn't fix it! When congestion does happen, it's because a whole bunch of people are on at once, who may not actually transfer much on a monthly basis!

Imagine there's 50 people on this one node, they all have 5 megabit downstream connections and the connection to that node from the outside world is only 50 megabits downstream. One guy on the node is constantly downloading at 5 megabits per second no matter what, he's pulling 1.6 terabytes every month. Everyone else on the node only uses the internet from 5 PM to 6 PM and is downloading youtubes and maybe streaming an hour of Netflix, etc. To make it easier we just assume that the 1 dude gets to maintain his speed, the other 49 people are now splitting the remaining 45 megabits, and thus each getting 0.9 megabits down for that one hour. Those people are all going to have problems doing what they want to do even though they're barely heavy users at 12 GB a month each. They're going to have congestion, and even if you kick off the guy who does 1.6 terabytes a month, everyone else still suffers, since now they're getting 1.02 megabits per second each for the one hour a day they each use the internet! And putting, say a 5 gb cap on them won't help matters either since they will still be using the internet at about the same time!

So if there's no congestion issues - caps are a cashgrab with no benefit. If there ARE congestion issues - it's STILL a cashgrab with no benefit to average people!

So either situation, caps don't solve anything!

What WOULD solve things in the case of congestion is one of two things. 1) Upgrade the relevant infrastructure. 2) Institute unbiased throttling to maintain quality of service when and only when the congestion exists.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
The problem is you have absolutely no oversight into these networks so for you to sit there and say "Well the solution is simple, just build the network up" isn't a solution since you don't have any idea what it takes or what upgrades are required to deliver 25Mb/s unmetered to everyone like some people in here are demanding they get. You can be sure if everyone started running through hundreds of GB per month (which with current internet trends is getting to be pretty easy) you will see your congestion issues pop up really quickly.

This is a vicious cycle folks and it's not going to be broken that easily.

fishmech posted:

Anyone who's not experiencing congestion does not have congestion issues!

And of course, even if there WERE congestion issues, bandwidth caps wouldn't fix it! When congestion does happen, it's because a whole bunch of people are on at once, who may not actually transfer much on a monthly basis!

Imagine there's 50 people on this one node, they all have 5 megabit downstream connections and the connection to that node from the outside world is only 50 megabits downstream. One guy on the node is constantly downloading at 5 megabits per second no matter what, he's pulling 1.6 terabytes every month. Everyone else on the node only uses the internet from 5 PM to 6 PM and is downloading youtubes and maybe streaming an hour of Netflix, etc. To make it easier we just assume that the 1 dude gets to maintain his speed, the other 49 people are now splitting the remaining 45 megabits, and thus each getting 0.9 megabits down for that one hour. Those people are all going to have problems doing what they want to do even though they're barely heavy users at 12 GB a month each. They're going to have congestion, and even if you kick off the guy who does 1.6 terabytes a month, everyone else still suffers, since now they're getting 1.02 megabits per second each for the one hour a day they each use the internet! And putting, say a 5 gb cap on them won't help matters either since they will still be using the internet at about the same time!

So if there's no congestion issues - caps are a cashgrab with no benefit. If there ARE congestion issues - it's STILL a cashgrab with no benefit to average people!

So either situation, caps don't solve anything!

What WOULD solve things in the case of congestion is one of two things. 1) Upgrade the relevant infrastructure. 2) Institute unbiased throttling to maintain quality of service when and only when the congestion exists.

This isn't realistic. You're not going to have everyone using the internet at the exact same time. Also yes the caps would solve congestion because little johnny who was downloading 1.5tb in a month is now limited to 100gb so he can't be using up the network 24/7 like he was before.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 28, 2011

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
What are you suggesting then? I don't understand. Yes it's a huge project to overhaul the networks, but there is no other option. Caps and over charging people won't help much. Except more money for them.

There's going to be another 30 000 little johnny's in 5 years from now. What happens then? Lower the caps more!!!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I agree the networks need to be overhauled to meet current and future demands. There needs to be some sort of government oversight to determine if these problems exist or if they're all made up by the large companies to make more money.

It's just unrealistic for some of you to sit here and say that you demand your 25Mb/s connection unmetered right now so you can run through 2tb a month and Bell has the capacity to do it and they're ripping us off and gently caress everything!

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 28, 2011

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

I agree the networks need to be overhauled to meet current and future demands. There needs to be some sort of government oversight to determine if these problems exist or if they're all made up by the large companies to make more money.

It's just unrealistic for some of you to sit here and say that you demand your 25Mb/s connection unmetered right now so you can run through 2tb a month and Bell has the capacity to do it and they're ripping us off and gently caress everything!

I don't think were asking for 25MB unmetered just give us something realistic.

$70 a month for a 70GB cap? Really? Pretty sure if they capped it at 200GB no one would complain.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

kuddles posted:

The thing that drives me up the wall with those making this type of argument is that it pretends that everyone against this move obviously wants everything for free, and doesn't understand that while the concept of usage based billing sounds fair, that isn't what's being implemented.

Someone on TVO used this metaphor to explain why this isn't UBB in the way that they are trying to position it as. Imagine if gas stations operated like this (instead of the actual legitimate UBB way they operate now). You pay the same flat rate of 10 gallons. Did you fill up 7 gallons this time? $50. 3 gallons? $50. A litre? $50. Did you fill up 12 gallons? Well that's $60 because anything over 10 has a significant overage fee. It's obvious that everyone's getting ripped off here and yet for some reason this is argued as acceptable for telcos.

That's what really bothers me about this whole argument. I don't live in Canada, but when Time Warner was trying to pull that poo poo down in Texas, they used a similar term (consumption-based billing), which is entirely divorced from actual usage if you're one of the claimed majority who stays under their arbitrary cap. They're essentially admitting that they're ripping people off who use less than their cap since unused data transfer doesn't roll over to the next month. You guys really need to hammer on the terminology there and emphasize that it's really not usage-based.

That plan for New Zealand that was mentioned further up sounds fantastic, though, especially since they're forcibly separating the people maintaining the lines from the people delivering service, which is really the problem here. If a phone company or a cable company can force people back to their own services by artificially limiting their Internet usage, there's really no incentive not to do that. The only reason they can pull that off is because the barrier to entry for setting up an ISP that owns its own lines and hardware is so astronomically high that there's not much chance of any real competition, so it's not like consumers are going to have any real choice other than who they're going to let ream them in the rear end. Either that poo poo needs to stop or telecommunications need to start being heavily regulated as a utility because they're becoming (or they probably already have become by now) as important as roads and there's no good reason to let profiteering ruin things for everybody.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

I'd really like an explanation why practically the entire rest of the developed world is somehow not having this problem, and that even in countries that do have real bandwidth barriers like Australia and New Zealand with their undersea cable monopoly, they aren't charging anything close to these rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Because NZ is maybe 700,000 square km and Canada is 10 million square km.