Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I would think the Gotham/Philly gap will return to the level it was in late 2009, where Philly and Gotham were effectively equal. It will be interesting to see how Gotham losing a top-tier jammer and Philly picking one up affects things in the East and nationally. Philly has been stuck as fourth best in the country this year, but certainly has the potential to take it to anyone under the right circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WindyMan posted:

I would think the Gotham/Philly gap will return to the level it was in late 2009, where Philly and Gotham were effectively equal. It will be interesting to see how Gotham losing a top-tier jammer and Philly picking one up affects things in the East and nationally. Philly has been stuck as fourth best in the country this year, but certainly has the potential to take it to anyone under the right circumstances.

Yeah, Gotham better have some fresh meat superjammer coming up through the ranks, because they are losing Suzy and Swede Hurt, which leaves them with Bonnie Thunders, who is amazing but only one person, and Hyperlynx, who isn't bad but is mainly their relief/change-of-pace jammer at the moment.

It would also help a lot if Beyonslay is able to get back to skating and can still perform at the level she did before her injury.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

WindyMan posted:

I don't agree with everything people hate about the so-called slow derby, but hating non-starts and inaction is one of the things I do agree with them on. There will come a point when the people harping "strategy" in slow derby will realize that unless rulebooks are written more robustly to account for these extreme situations you're going to lose the entertainment value from the persepective of the paying crowd. In other words, if it's turning people off from wanting to watch derby, is it ultimately worth it for derby's long-term health and potential?

WFTDA rules are discussed and voted on by the WFTDA leagues. The skaters wrote/write the rules, so complain to the skaters not the refs.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Spookydonut posted:

WFTDA rules are discussed and voted on by the WFTDA leagues. The skaters wrote/write the rules, so complain to the skaters not the refs.

No one is complaining to the refs about slow derby, they're complaining to WFTDA.

Also, I really think the slow derby sucks people are a highly vocal minority. No-starts piss off a lot of people and I expect those to get changed, but slow pack play and clockwise skating after a blockout, in my experience, don't really bother nearly as many people. The dozen people at Nationals who hated anything less than full speed Nascar skating are really not "the paying crowd".

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Dominion posted:

No one is complaining to the refs about slow derby, they're complaining to WFTDA.

Also, I really think the slow derby sucks people are a highly vocal minority. No-starts piss off a lot of people and I expect those to get changed, but slow pack play and clockwise skating after a blockout, in my experience, don't really bother nearly as many people. The dozen people at Nationals who hated anything less than full speed Nascar skating are really not "the paying crowd".

Complaining to WFTDA is pointless, since it is run by the individual leagues.

Slow derby and clockwise skating are strategic moves that can be countered by the other team.
No-starts need both teams to participate, if it's just one team then it doesn't work.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Spookydonut posted:

Complaining to WFTDA is pointless, since it is run by the individual leagues.

It's not completely pointless. WFTDA does have personnel, it's not completely democratic. It's the central point of contact. If everyone hates something and complains to them, it will likely filter down into the opinions and voting habits of individual leagues.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Holllllly shiiiiiiiiiitttttt

More pictures I've found so far on Twitter:
http://twitpic.com/3eqf4i
http://twitpic.com/3er0rh
http://twitpic.com/3erikl

Seriously, this is going to be awesome. DNN will have a textcast of it starting tomorrow at 8:45pm ET. No live video. However, Red Bull will likely be filming the game and will probably put together video highlights afterwards, like they do with their other crazy events. It should be noted that Redbull is starting to literally give tickets away, which could mean either they haven't been selling the event well, or they're looking to fill out as much of the arena that's left over as possible. Likely the latter.

Also, I heard via Derby Deeds that Suzy Hotrod is not actually moving to Philly. This was apparently a rumor from the start that was assumed to be true by all who heard it (like DNN). Personally, I'm not 100% sure if she's staying or going either way, so I'm just going to wait to verify it personally when Gotham comes to LA to play the Derby Dolls on the banked track in February. Yes! Gotham on the banked track.

We're very spoiled here in Los Angeles.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
Well it looks like my input in this thread is going to change. Naptown had a recruitment workshop on the 18th and they picked up a few girls from the workshop. I went and was chosen to join the team. I'll probably be asking a few more gear questions from people who get more use out of their skates that I was accustomed to in the past.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Aericina posted:

Well it looks like my input in this thread is going to change. Naptown had a recruitment workshop on the 18th and they picked up a few girls from the workshop. I went and was chosen to join the team. I'll probably be asking a few more gear questions from people who get more use out of their skates that I was accustomed to in the past.

Yay congratulations! I know you said you were reffing earlier. Did you always want to be a skater and ended up reffing first or was this more of an evolution of interests?

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
The Terminal City Rollergirls just had our first WFTDA Apprentice bout on Friday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eu2yQopucc

Fully recorded, too. We're getting closer. The team in black is the Jet City Rollergirls from Everett, WA.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I thought I'd post an update. My wife has been going through recruitment the last few months for the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls, which is an OSDA league. Tonight she finds out if she made the team. We've been super involved and actually hosted a huge league party at our house this last weekend.

Fast forward to this week and the league announced they are forming a men's team. So, last night we went to the skate shop, I bought my wife new wheels and bearings and they happened to have a nice set of derby skates in my size (Men's 12) so I picked them up. I skated for a bit since it has been years, but I was picking it up pretty quickly. We'll see how the next few months pan out.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ODC posted:

I thought I'd post an update. My wife has been going through recruitment the last few months for the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls, which is an OSDA league. Tonight she finds out if she made the team. We've been super involved and actually hosted a huge league party at our house this last weekend.

Fast forward to this week and the league announced they are forming a men's team. So, last night we went to the skate shop, I bought my wife new wheels and bearings and they happened to have a nice set of derby skates in my size (Men's 12) so I picked them up. I skated for a bit since it has been years, but I was picking it up pretty quickly. We'll see how the next few months pan out.

Man, honestly, I didn't even know Orlando had any kind of teams. I was under the impression that the closest team we had was in Rockledge. This is welcome news! I'll have to come see your teams (supposing you make them)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I've got a derby skating update of my own to throw in. The Sugartown Rollergirls in Oxnard, CA are just about done getting their banked track together. After the OC Rollergirls finish their track next year, there will be four banked track leagues in the Southern California area. Envy us.

What's more, Sugartown is starting to recruit man-skaters. This means that they'll have the first and only men's banked track league in the world. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity and will start training with them in January. I am literally besides myself with aniticipation.

The tricky thing for me, as I've been finding out, is that although I'm more than comfortable on inline skates I haven't skated on quads for almost 20 years (I'm 28 now) so I'm having trouble getting my footing on them. I only got some quads last week and will only will get the chance to really start practicing on them this weekend, but I'm wondering if anyone was raised on ice skates/inline skates and had to deal with a similar transition. My best friend has been training with Sugartown since November and said she got used to the quads before she knew it, but I still don't know what to expect as I adjust.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Man, honestly, I didn't even know Orlando had any kind of teams. I was under the impression that the closest team we had was in Rockledge. This is welcome news! I'll have to come see your teams (supposing you make them)

They're working on increasing their presence right now. There are three teams in the Women's league with a fourth on the way. The only real place to get info about them right now is: http://www.facebook.com/orlandoderbygirls

I'll say that right now the bouts have been far from empty but they really are needing to spread the word more. I've been having a lot of fun going to matches but with a 4th team I think they'll be more fun as there won't just be the same match ups every time.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
For anyone in the Orlando-area, this Sunday is a bout. For next month's bout I have took over making posters of the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls for the time being, February's my first:

Click here for the full 691x1024 image.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

First post updated about Team Legit vs. LA Derby Dolls.

Also, Sugartown is finishing the build of our banked track:

We have both straights up, and we're hoping to start get the turns done by this weekend. The masonite and the painting and the padding will hopefully come after that, and by the end of the month we're going to have a brand spankin' new banked track to skate on. Although, as made apparent in the picture above, we've barely got enough room in our warehouse space to fit it in kitty-corner, meaning the insides of the ends of the straights will have a very dangerous post guarding them. Should make for some interesting practices.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
We have two posts on the inside curve between turns 1/2 and 3/4 in our flat track warehouse. Freshmeat and nonrostered practices tend to make those areas a trainwreck, but is more of an annoyance to the veterans when knocked out of bounds and you've got two inside refs and two jammer refs all crammed in that area. I couldn't say for banked track but I can imagine it'd be a bit more dangerous.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
As a ref, poles like that inside the track or 0-15ft from the outside of the track are definite deal breakers for me.
Walls, like the ones we have where we train, are slightly better because they spread the force of the impact.
Everytime we scrimmage someone will slam into the wall about 8ft away from the straights-aways.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm certainly not wishing injury on any skaters but those poles make it look inevitable (much more than a track without poles). Just my bystander/EMT POV on the situation.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

overthefalls posted:

The Terminal City Rollergirls just had our first WFTDA Apprentice bout on Friday!

Fully recorded, too. We're getting closer. The team in black is the Jet City Rollergirls from Everett, WA.

Hey, I played in that bout! Possibly stupid question but did you play in the bout(and if so what is your derby name?). It was a lot of fun and terminal city did awesome! Our team was an assorted group and several of them were freshmeat, but it was a lot of fun! I love coming to Canada, they have the best beer and food.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

First post updated again. Minnesota is shooting for a derby attendance record this weekend (although I think they're "cheating" to do it), and Wild West Showdown has announced its schedule for March.

I also have an update about our banked track. It turns out that we weren't able to fit the whole thing in our warehouse space. We cut out two sections of the straightaway to squeeze it in there, so at least for now we're going to have something more like a bullring. At least we were able to fit it in around the posts so we won't have to deal with a face full of a steel pole heading into the turns. Should be wicked fun to skate on, though.

ed-Almost forgot. Jam City Rollergirls, the roller derby video game, is being released today. It's a downloadble game on the Wii and it's $10.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 24, 2011

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

How are they "cheating"?

Unrelated:

Nashville Rollergirls have a pre-season bout on Feb, 19th @ 6pm.

The Lower Broads vs. Rollergirls of Southern Indiana (Evansville)

Should be a fun bout to satisfy your lust for all things derby and at a cheaper price too so bring your friends who have never been before to check out the action.

As a bonus, I'll be there.*

*This being a bonus is debatable I know.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Totally TWISTED posted:

How are they "cheating"?

I say this in jest. They're hoping for a holdover crowd from the lacrosse game, which has a regular attendance of over 9,000. It'll be cool, regardless.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

overthefalls posted:

Finally, an entire match recorded. My previous searches brought me nothing but interviews or brief recordings. Thanks for this.

As a (somewhat irrelevant) update, it turns out Cheyenne, WY has a roller derby team, which surprised me. I might end up volunteering to ref for someone after all.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just unclear on the exact specifics, but it looks like here in the beginning there's a lot of overlooked back-blocking.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 25, 2011

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

I say this in jest. They're hoping for a holdover crowd from the lacrosse game, which has a regular attendance of over 9,000. It'll be cool, regardless.
Whatever it takes to convert the masses to the great sport of roller derby it A-OK in my book.

Electric Cattle prods included.

Redfont posted:

EDIT: Maybe I'm just unclear on the exact specifics, but it looks like here in the beginning there's a lot of overlooked back-blocking.
I'm no ref but from reading this thread/the rules it *seems* to me in my non-professional opinion to be something that isn't called strictly to the rules ala traveling in basketball and holding in football. Sometimes this could be due to difficulty in seeing the penalty committed, other times it's a "well that wasn't too bad/blatant so I'll let it slide for a smoother game".

Am I totally wrong on that refs/players?

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2011

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

OrpheusFaust posted:

Hey, I played in that bout! Possibly stupid question but did you play in the bout(and if so what is your derby name?). It was a lot of fun and terminal city did awesome! Our team was an assorted group and several of them were freshmeat, but it was a lot of fun! I love coming to Canada, they have the best beer and food.

Excellent. I didn't skate -- I was in the scorebox fighting with the bloody scoreboard and teaching NSOs (Enter Statsman). Glad you guys enjoyed it up here -- it was a great bout all around.

We just had our 2nd WFTDA-required application game on Saturday, too, and the application has been submitted. Knock on wood: Terminal City will be WFTDA very soon.

Edit: As for the game, yeah, quite a bit of backblocking and we've been holding court lately on what is versus what isn't backblocking. The traveling comparison is quite dead on, really.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Redfont posted:

there were a lot of penalties that weren't called in that bout(especially cutting penalties), but it can probably be chalked up to inexperienced refs.

I'm the one in purple tights with red underwear and lots of rear end and cleavage shots. Check out my fairly awesome hit at 4:32

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm no ref but from reading this thread/the rules it *seems* to me in my non-professional opinion to be something that isn't called strictly to the rules ala traveling in basketball and holding in football. Sometimes this could be due to difficulty in seeing the penalty committed, other times it's a "well that wasn't too bad/blatant so I'll let it slide for a smoother game".

Am I totally wrong on that refs/players?

the penalty depends on the severity of the impact. If you slam into a chicks back and knock her down, that is a major. If you only bump her a little bit and she doesn't lose her position it is *most likely* a minor, but it depends on the refs discretion.

On an unrelated note, the Jet City Rollergirls have their season opening bout this
Saturday! My team, Camaro Harem, will be taking on the Hula Honeys! I'll post the bout link once it is uploaded.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

OrpheusFaust posted:

the penalty depends on the severity of the impact. If you slam into a chicks back and knock her down, that is a major. If you only bump her a little bit and she doesn't lose her position it is *most likely* a minor, but it depends on the refs discretion.

Also note that just having your hands or wrists touch someone's back doesn't mean it's a penalty. The penalty is called based on impact. You can also slam into someone's back and if she doesn't move a bit, no penalty.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'm officially the Design Coordinator for the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls now. Ref training coming up at the end of February.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Aericina posted:

Also note that just having your hands or wrists touch someone's back doesn't mean it's a penalty. The penalty is called based on impact. You can also slam into someone's back and if she doesn't move a bit, no penalty.

Exactly. Have a great skater that's as steady as an oak? Well, sucks to be her, 'cause if someone plows right into her, but she doesn't budge, it isn't a penalty. One of the detriments to being such an awesome skater, I guess. Badge of honor?

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Ria posted:

Exactly. Have a great skater that's as steady as an oak? Well, sucks to be her, 'cause if someone plows right into her, but she doesn't budge, it isn't a penalty. One of the detriments to being such an awesome skater, I guess. Badge of honor?

Though, on the good side, you now have a blocker or jammer stuck right behind you where you can essentially sit on them. Not as flashy as a knockdown, but it's a jammer that isn't going anywhere. There's a player on the Bellingham Betties that is an expert on it -- she has about 6 inches on every other player on the track and she doesn't need to destroy them, just plant in one place and the entire lane's jammed up.

Game's got a lot of little nuances like that that I really enjoy.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

overthefalls posted:

We just had our 2nd WFTDA-required application game on Saturday, too, and the application has been submitted. Knock on wood: Terminal City will be WFTDA very soon.

Woo WFTDA apprentice leagues! :):hf::)

I saw that WindyMan mentioned the exhibition bout between Gotham and the LA Derby Dolls, but it looks like the date for that is February 26th, and I'm like 95% sure that DNN is going to cover it. (Sorry if all of this is old news, I have the memory of a goldfish) I am so excited to see this bout though.

As for the JamCity game, I got to try it out at nationals as they had a booth to demo it and it seemed super cool, although I think it would take me a bit to get used to the controls. Sidenote and a highlight of my derby career so far: drinking beer with Bonnie Thunders and trying to get the bar to get the JamCity game upon learning that they had a Wii and they regularly hold Wii bowling tournaments. :allears:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

scorpiobean posted:

Gotham and the LA Derby Dolls

It will be streaming live. LA produces and webcasts all of their own games and DNN just carries them through their website and occasionally adds the textcast on their own. They're high-quality streams, too. Of the streams I'm aware of, only Rose City's streams are comparable in terms of video quality, and Gotham's in terms of production. You get both in LA.

Admittedly the biggest reason why I'm pumped for this game is more to see what Gotham will do on banked track more than whether or not LA will beat them or not. Going by the Legit game LA's all-star roster is weaker than it has been in years past, but then again they only were thrown together a few weeks before the game and didn't get much practice in. Still, Gotham is a team force to be reckoned with. If they can get comfortable on the banked surface, watch out.

And speaking of that, recent history proves that flat track teams playing on the banked track for the first time get off to a slow start and then fare better in the second half after they adjust to the surface and faster game. Which has got me thinking...when Rocky Mountain plays San Diego, they'll get a practice game the day before in LA first to sort that out.

Rocky Mountain/San Diego, game of the year? Hmmm....

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Ahhh, right. I forgot about those severity-based penalties, it's been a while since I looked over the rules. I'm glad I'm not just seeing things, though, I was mainly just curious. Good stuff all in all.

Fake edit: I'm glad I stopped into this thread today, because I remembered I'm supposed to stop by that roller derby practice today to see about volunteering. That should be cool.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Volunteering is awesome. Do it. I ripped tickets then got poached by the referees. :)

I know there's always a want for full-length derby games: Here's the TCRG "Flying Monkeys" versus the Bellingham Betties "Lollipop Gang" from January 22nd:

Jan 22 Entire Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdghyGqXog

Both teams are pick up teams, so the game's a little uneven, but still was fun to watch.

As a bonus, here's the league championship game from last season: Bad Reputations vs. Riot Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiSFAaH0fdg

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OrpheusFaust posted:

Almost.
If the skater moves into the path of another skater to positionally block them, then they are the initiator of the block and are therefore responsible for the legality of the contact. So if the skater behind hits her in the back knocking her over, no penalty.
There's something that isn't in the rules but helps explain this;
Established Position
Established Trajectory
Temporary Position
Temporary Trajectory

In my example the skater getting hit in the back has Temporary Position, versus the other skater who has Established Trajectory, so she's intiating the block.

Note that the rules don't specifically define the word block to include contact.

quote:

Blocking is any movement on the track designed to impede or dislocate an opponent. Blocking includes the possible counter-blocking motion initiated by the opponent to counteract the block; counter-blocking is treated as a block and held to the same standards and rules. Blocking need not include contact. Impeding the movement of an opposing skater by hitting her or positioning yourself in her path.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I'm not sure I understand your example. The way you worded it sounds like:
skater 1 skates in front of skater 2 and establishes position
skater 2 hits skater 1 in the back
skater 1 falls
skater 2 no penalty.

I don't know a ref in the NC region that would not call at least a penalty on skater 2 for a major back block. Now, depending on what is going on with the pack, skater 1 could be liable for a major penalty for positional blocking if there is a no pack situation or they are out of play. Also at play is if skater 1 falls small or ends up tripping skater 2 or others.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

overthefalls posted:

Volunteering is awesome. Do it. I ripped tickets then got poached by the referees. :)

I know there's always a want for full-length derby games: Here's the TCRG "Flying Monkeys" versus the Bellingham Betties "Lollipop Gang" from January 22nd:

Jan 22 Entire Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdghyGqXog

Both teams are pick up teams, so the game's a little uneven, but still was fun to watch.

As a bonus, here's the league championship game from last season: Bad Reputations vs. Riot Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiSFAaH0fdg

Sweet, thanks for the links. There's supposed to be a local match here tomorrow, I'm planning on trying to drag my family out to watch it, at least my brother who's on board, as long as the baby doesn't decide she wants to be difficult that day. Hopefully it's as good as the one I stopped by in Florida.

EDIT: What sort of stuff would a team require volunteer-wise other than a ref? I've never been too good with recognizing rule-breaking, but I'm sure I'd pick it up over time. In any case, what sort of stuff might I be able to do to help a team during the time I'm learning all the rules and how to recognize penalties and the like? (I forgot about Wednesday so I'm going to be finding out this Saturday instead, but I figured I'd ask.)

Also just for clarification, both jammers can score points during the bout, the lead jammer can just call off the bout early if she wants, right? Some of the rules for roller derby seem so complicated when I'm just looking at them on paper.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 28, 2011

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Redfont posted:

Sweet, thanks for the links. There's supposed to be a local match here tomorrow, I'm planning on trying to drag my family out to watch it, at least my brother who's on board, as long as the baby doesn't decide she wants to be difficult that day. Hopefully it's as good as the one I stopped by in Florida.

EDIT: What sort of stuff would a team require volunteer-wise other than a ref? I've never been too good with recognizing rule-breaking, but I'm sure I'd pick it up over time. In any case, what sort of stuff might I be able to do to help a team during the time I'm learning all the rules and how to recognize penalties and the like? (I forgot about Wednesday so I'm going to be finding out this Saturday instead, but I figured I'd ask.)

Also just for clarification, both jammers can score points during the bout, the lead jammer can just call off the bout early if she wants, right? Some of the rules for roller derby seem so complicated when I'm just looking at them on paper.

(Now, this is WFTDA, leagues that aren't can be playing by different rules, but yeah)

Well, "Bout" is an entire game. What you're looking for is "jam." A jam is analogous to a "down" in football or the shot clock in basketball. You're looking for that up-to-2 minute section of time in derby in which the jammers score points. A lead jammer can call off the jam before the two minute mark if they want to, given that they have not yet left to go to the penalty box. It is designated by a flourish of hands-going-to-hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Redfont posted:

Volunteer crews for derby leagues can use you for near anything -- referee and non-referee. On the non-referee: ripping tickets, greeters, merch, set up, clean up, beer garden, etcetera; whatever they can come up with.

Referee wise, I have nonskating officials for:
Timekeeper, 2 penalty trackers, penalty wrangler, penalty board, 2 outside penalty boards, 2 lineup trackers, scoreboard (usually me now), 2 scorekeepers, 3 penalty boxes... ummm.. I know I'm forgetting something... which is bad since I'm getting paperwork ready for tomorrow's bout. We have a deep enough ref crew that we can cover these plus the off-skate, but last year they were almost all volunteer.

There's always something to do as a volunteer at a derby bout.

• Locked thread