Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

She and Ryan Steiner did it. We see them do it in a novel.

I remember Victor et al. deducing that they conspired to do it since that was how he justified assassinating Ryan Steiner, but I don't think there was anything more explicit than the paper trail. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. Either way she exploited the hell out of it.

What I was thinking of was a snippet in one of the Jihad sourcebooks where WoB was taking credit for it. Maybe one of the propaganda blurbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
drat, it's been forever since I read the books and I've forgotten a lot of this. I guess I need to pull them out of storage and read them all again, starting with the Warrior trilogy. :v:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

New Hell's Horses totem mech spotted. As soon as they figure how to cram an ER PPC into the head.

Well, let's look at options. What could fit in the head? We could shove in an ERLL or a Plasma Cannon. A pony-unicorn-mech with a horn that spews fire?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

WarLocke posted:

You do realize that no matter what they come up with, the model designation is going to be PNK-1P right?

Okay that does it. That was the final straw. Voting five for this thread.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirJoeKCB posted:

I remember Victor et al. deducing that they conspired to do it since that was how he justified assassinating Ryan Steiner, but I don't think there was anything more explicit than the paper trail. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. Either way she exploited the hell out of it.

What I was thinking of was a snippet in one of the Jihad sourcebooks where WoB was taking credit for it. Maybe one of the propaganda blurbs?

I believe we see it in one of Katherine's flashbacks.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

SirJoeKCB posted:

The evidence against Katherine is pretty strong. One of Ryan Steiner's aides knew about the plot, and was killed at Katherine's orders. A lot of proof implicating Katherine is gathered during the FedCom Civil War.

It was Arthur Steiner-Davion's assassination that is speculated to have been done by the WOB, iirc.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So, uuh, is there any way to get in touch with goons who play MegaMek? It seems like a campaign on that would be tons of fun.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Felime posted:

So, uuh, is there any way to get in touch with goons who play MegaMek? It seems like a campaign on that would be tons of fun.

Most of us do play. It's just that I don't think any of us have been arsed to organize one lately.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Felime posted:

Hmm. Some kind of central thread for that in Games might be a good idea. Anybody any good at organization?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Agent Interrobang posted:

Hmm. Some kind of central thread for that in Games might be a good idea. Anybody any good at organization?

Well, I have been making rumblings at a non-goon friend of mine about a Battletech campaign. I even have the first scenario more or less hashed out. It just needs some MechWarriors to come and blow poo poo up.

I was thinking of running it as kind of an RPG, actually; RPG gunnery rules, Advantages, etcetera...

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Well, I have been making rumblings at a non-goon friend of mine about a Battletech campaign. I even have the first scenario more or less hashed out. It just needs some MechWarriors to come and blow poo poo up.

I was thinking of running it as kind of an RPG, actually; RPG gunnery rules, Advantages, etcetera...

Hmmm. It's fairly complex to do chargen, but the Time of War rules might be good for that. What era do you have it set in?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

KnoxZone posted:

It was Arthur Steiner-Davion's assassination that is speculated to have been done by the WOB, iirc.

Wasn't Arthur the cousin who blew up a bunch of people accidentally while riding a JagerMech, so Victor kind of forces him to go do monkish things or whatever, and then the wobblies (supposedly) assassinate him but the end of that book implies he survives (I seem to remember him waking in a dark room, an unnamed person talking to him for about 3 paragraphs, then the book ends)? Assuming I'm not getting my characters mixed up, did they ever go anywhere with that?

Also, what was the deal with the playing-card assassin who ended up working for every major faction during the course of the FC civil war? I remember thinking that there had to be something special about the character since he/she would show up repeatedly in different books, but nothing ever came of it. :iiam:

Edit: Question for PTN - Did Justin Allard (Justin Xiang I guess now) lose his arm in this new timeline? That was a pretty defining moment/trait for the character in the canon events, if it didn't happen this time I can imagine him turning out pretty differently.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
WarLocke I think you're mixing together Peter and Arthur Steiner-Davion there. Peter was the exiled one, Arthur was the one who may or may not have been blown up.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I might be up for such a thing... You'd have to point me towards which books to read/buy if the RPG elements are especially complex though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WarLocke posted:

Edit: Question for PTN - Did Justin Allard (Justin Xiang I guess now) lose his arm in this new timeline? That was a pretty defining moment/trait for the character in the canon events, if it didn't happen this time I can imagine him turning out pretty differently.

Probably, considering that it happened during the events that ended up getting him exiled.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Hmmm. It's fairly complex to do chargen, but the Time of War rules might be good for that. What era do you have it set in?

I don't actually have any of the BTech RPGs (though I'm thinking of picking them up.) I'm not exactly old at RPGs, being in an Exalted campaign and running a Star Wars campaign on saturdays and sundays, respectively.

I was just thinking of hashing together some rules that let you make a character a little better than your average 4/5 generic mech pilot and then figuring out some rules for character advancement and handling anything out-of-mech (out-of-battle, actually) kind of freeform.

[I'm an idiot edit]As for era, my friend's only played with Tech 1 rules, so I was thinking it would have to be sometime around, say, 3028 or so. I was planning to introduce Tech 2 to him via slowly rediscovering LosTech, and getting embroiled in all the intrigue and backstabbery that comes with it.

I might get the Time of War rules. It's the latest ruleset, but does it handle pre-Clan-Invasion stuff, or is it all focused on the Dark Age/WoB Jihad?

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

Wasn't Arthur the cousin who blew up a bunch of people accidentally while riding a JagerMech, so Victor kind of forces him to go do monkish things or whatever, and then the wobblies (supposedly) assassinate him but the end of that book implies he survives (I seem to remember him waking in a dark room, an unnamed person talking to him for about 3 paragraphs, then the book ends)? Assuming I'm not getting my characters mixed up, did they ever go anywhere with that?

Also, what was the deal with the playing-card assassin who ended up working for every major faction during the course of the FC civil war? I remember thinking that there had to be something special about the character since he/she would show up repeatedly in different books, but nothing ever came of it. :iiam:

Wasn't Arthur the one that Katherine had them drop a building on in the middle of a speech to make a martyr out of him?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

WarLocke I think you're mixing together Peter and Arthur Steiner-Davion there. Peter was the exiled one, Arthur was the one who may or may not have been blown up.

I think you may be right. Definitely need to brush up on my books. :derp:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well... speaking of Panthers...

[Found this in our latest batch of intel on the Combine. Though it would be good for a laugh. -Colonel Morgan Kell]

Hello, most respected soldiers of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery. I am but a humble representative of Alshain Weapons, and I would beg to have your time for an episode of...

BattleMechs are Respectfully Awesome, brought to you by Alshain Weapons.
Alshain Weapons: We Humbly Invite you to Dine With Your Ancestors.

Today's episode: the PNT-9R Panther.

Since 2759, the Dragon has honored us by using the Panther as one of the standard Light mechs of the DCMS. It's combination of practical design, affordable pricing and having a PPC on its right arm allow the Pillar of Steel to continue its unending string of victories against the Coordinator's enemies without placing an undue burden on the modest, hard-working people of the Combine.

The PNT-9R is built around the Lord's Light PPC. This magnificent weapons system is named in honor of the rightful First Lord, Coordinator Takashi Kurita, and with it our warriors may bring the glorious, enlightened rule of the Draconis Combine to the rest of the Inner Sphere at ranges of up to 540 meters. To ensure the Dragon's enemies do not wish to close with the design, we have added a Telos Four-Shot SRM launcher. When they are not safe at range, or close by, the only option the Dragon's enemies have is to flee. Truly, how can our enemies expect to defeat such a design?

To demonstrate the mercy of the Coordinator, the Panther travels at only 64.8 km/h. Anything faster would render the design completely unstoppable, and thus causing the Warriors of the Dragon to become complacent. This could not be allowed. However, the design does boast a jump radius of 120 meters, ensuring that terrain is no obstacle when bringing the Wisdom of the Dragon to our enemies.

Some may claim that in 2739, we fielded a PNT-8Z that used a large laser in place of the PPC, and that it had to be scrapped due to severe design problems that shelved the design for twenty years. These people are agents of the Yellow Bird. Davion and Steiner wish for you to have uncertainty in the design of the Panther, for they know there is no other way to defeat the Warriors of the Dragon. If you find anyone claiming that the PNT-8Z existed, please report them to the nearest office of the Friendly Persuaders.

Remember that the Panther is a cornerstone design of the Pillar of Steel. Any requests to be reassigned to a heavier or more mobile machine will result in your discharge from the DCMS and your family being relegated to the Unproductives, where your wife will prostitute herself to support your worthless self and your now-equally-worthless children. Being allowed to pilot this fine design is an honor the Coordinator has granted you. Do not squander it.

Now, Warriors of the Dragon, go forth and bring the rule of House Kurita to the weak Steiners and the hated Davions, and look forward to the day when all the Inner Sphere recognizes Takashi Kurita as First Lord of the Star League!

This briefing courtesy of Alshain Weapons.
Alshain Weapons: Striking our enemies' faces with the coin purse of the Dragon.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

:golfclap:

Honestly speaking, the Panther is a drat solid design and I love the thing as a low-weight bruiser, particularly when paired with conventional armored units. It makes a dandy fire support mech for scout lances, too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, it's basically a Pocket Medium rather than a light, which put it in a weird place in 3050. Also, ER PPC + Single Heat Sinks = fail.

The newer variants from RS: 3075 and RS: 3085 are really quite good, though. They turned it from a Pocket Medium in to a really mean flanker/scout-hunter. The PNT-13K moves 5/8/8 and uses a Plasma Rifle as it's main gun. Put that thing in a city or a box canyon and... poo poo.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Well... speaking of Panthers...

[Found this in our latest batch of intel on the Combine. Though it would be good for a laugh. -Colonel Morgan Kell]

Hello, most respected soldiers of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery. I am but a humble representative of Alshain Weapons, and I would beg to have your time for an episode of...

BattleMechs are Respectfully Awesome, brought to you by Alshain Weapons.
Alshain Weapons: We Humbly Invite you to Dine With Your Ancestors.

Today's episode: the PNT-9R Panther.

<snip hilarious>

This briefing courtesy of Alshain Weapons.
Alshain Weapons: Striking our enemies' faces with the coin purse of the Dragon.

I was laughing so hard I wound up in a coughing fit. More! More blatant propaganda! I love it!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I don't actually have any of the BTech RPGs (though I'm thinking of picking them up.) I'm not exactly old at RPGs, being in an Exalted campaign and running a Star Wars campaign on saturdays and sundays, respectively.

I was just thinking of hashing together some rules that let you make a character a little better than your average 4/5 generic mech pilot and then figuring out some rules for character advancement and handling anything out-of-mech (out-of-battle, actually) kind of freeform.

[I'm an idiot edit]As for era, my friend's only played with Tech 1 rules, so I was thinking it would have to be sometime around, say, 3028 or so. I was planning to introduce Tech 2 to him via slowly rediscovering LosTech, and getting embroiled in all the intrigue and backstabbery that comes with it.

I might get the Time of War rules. It's the latest ruleset, but does it handle pre-Clan-Invasion stuff, or is it all focused on the Dark Age/WoB Jihad?

I'm think there are rules for pilot advancement outside of the rpg books but that might just be my imagination. As far as I know, everything in the rules applies just as well to level 1 as level 2. The only thing you'd have to do is to ignore all the rules about equipment that don't exist yet.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Well since people signing up to be pilots after my post have been recorded on the list, but I have not I thought I'd give this one last try. I'd like to be a pilot, email is ilkhanfel at gmail dot com

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
That is a /delightful/ writeup on the Panther- arguably the king of the light mech battlefield in 3025. (I SAID ARGUABLY)

Megamek coordination would be fun, though I am kind of leery of RPG rules. I would very much be down- even though I am not especially good. :v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

That is a /delightful/ writeup on the Panther- arguably the king of the light mech battlefield in 3025. (I SAID ARGUABLY)

Megamek coordination would be fun, though I am kind of leery of RPG rules. I would very much be down- even though I am not especially good. :v:

I'm not sure if/if not I'd want to run it as a full RPG. I'd have to look over the Time of War book and see if it's good or not.

Honestly, as I said, I was originally planning to just turn on a lot of Megamek's more advanced options and hash out my own chargen/advancement system.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Those mech writeup/propaganda posts are amazing DI, never stop.

And I wouldn't mind joining in on a campaign. Would be fun to get back into the game a bit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'm not sure if/if not I'd want to run it as a full RPG. I'd have to look over the Time of War book and see if it's good or not.

Honestly, as I said, I was originally planning to just turn on a lot of Megamek's more advanced options and hash out my own chargen/advancement system.

I would have to dig out Time of War and figure out what it was on about, since I've never used it before. :v: What advanced options did you have in mind?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'd be up for that, i've played the RPG rules and they range from the whimiscal to the lol, but they can be fun.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

I would have to dig out Time of War and figure out what it was on about, since I've never used it before. :v: What advanced options did you have in mind?

Quite a few, mainly a lot of TacOps and Unofficial rules to make things make some more sense. Individual initiative would of course be on if the players are all pilots of their own Battlemechs, set up simultaineous firing and physical phases so you don't wind up waiting for someone to act, get bored, check the forums or read something and then other people wind up waiting for you, and I turned on RPG Gunnery Skills (seperates into Ballistic, Laser and Missile gunnery skills) and MaxTech piloting advantages (kind of like feats from D20 or Perks from Fallout.)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'd be up for some MegaMek, even if it was just dropping in for individual one-off missions. It would rock if we could get a big dust-up going with 8 or more players.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Panther versus Wolfhound GO!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Those mech writeup/propaganda posts are amazing DI, never stop.

Thanks. I've got something like twenty more Mechs I could do stuff on from TRO: 3025 alone. Might even do some "preliminary research on recovered technology" based on TRO: 3050.

If you're not familiar, most of the designs in TRO: 3050 are pretty bad. This is because most of the equipment being used was new and so people just put it on ANYTHING. Case in point, the Combine gets the ER PPC (which does 15 heat instead of 10) before they have the double heat sink in full production, so they don't have enough to put Doubles on their Panthers. So what do they do? Put the ER PPC on there anyway. It's NEW for gently caress's sake!

Also, pulse lasers. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, it's basically a Pocket Medium rather than a light, which put it in a weird place in 3050.

More a pocket heavy. There's a couple designs like that, and they're all pretty good. Panther, Vindicator, Whitworth, Blackjack. 35-45 tons, 4/6/4 with a shocking amount of armor for their size and rather good firepower (Some versions of the Blackjack excluded). Honestly, some of my favorite mech designs. Efficient and effective.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

Victor was a Steiner.
Kathrine was a Davion.

Victor was raised on Tharkad.
Katherine was raised on New Avalon.

So yeah, this is pretty much undeniably true.

I point you to only the SECOND Battletech ever released, where Max Liao created an evil twin of Hanse Davion. This is honestly not that weird for the setting. Really, the best way to think of Battletech is that it's a daytime-TV soap opera... with giant stompy killbots. And marginally fewer brain tumors.

Actually, a case could be made that every single book (or, at least, every book you don't like) is just an episode of "Royal's Pride", an in-universe soap opera that pokes fun at the Davion/Steiners and everything they regularly fail to actually do right.

Anyway, update status is 'soon'.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, downsized designs kind of fell out of favor for a while with the XL Engine, since you could have cavalry heavies and super-fast mediums, but they've actually made a comeback in TRO: 3085. You'd probably really like the Shockwave

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The charm that the early at 3025 mechs is that they are crap, in many ways most of them are either underpowered, low heat thresholds or ammo based with either little reloads or too many reloads with not enough armor. However, it is these imperfections that make it better, than alot of the clanner mechs, the omnis can do ANYTHING have a ton of variants and simply put can mostly fire every turn without even thinking about it.

It becomes a game of winning first position and seeing what hits.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks. I've got something like twenty more Mechs I could do stuff on from TRO: 3025 alone. Might even do some "preliminary research on recovered technology" based on TRO: 3050.

I'd love to see your take on Steiner propaganda with the Zeus.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Well, I already had DefHes pitch the Griffin to everyone. I know my biases are obvious, but I don't want to get in a RUT. I should at least do one lap around the Sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

"The Lyran Commonwealth's Premier Scout 'Mech!"

• Locked thread