Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

atomicthumbs posted:

I'LL TAKE ALL THREE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qid_WGBrQjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I suppose it may be good for the market to take a little intermezzo on the way up. Sort of like how small earthquakes take a little pressure off of big ones.

But I will admit that it's been some time since I've found anything that's demonstrably cheap. The latest one (BZ) actually became less cheap as I was looking at it.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

atomicthumbs posted:

I'LL TAKE ALL THREE

You're crazy!

PancakeParty
Jan 22, 2011
If someone had a spare 40k/year to invest year over year and wanted to essentially run things on autopilot, what would be the best route?

I'd like to aggressively invest and turn my investments into at least a million within 10 years. Is it doable? 5 years would be even better, but I'm not counting on it.

I've looked into following along with Motley Fool Stock Advisor since the returns seem pretty good. Also thought about following along with Timothy Sykes on Covestor.

Are either of these good options? I'm a complete newbie, but anxious to learn the basics, although I know I'll never have the spare time to analyze and research stocks throughly like the pros do.

YankeeAirPirate
Jun 3, 2006

"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."
edit

YankeeAirPirate fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 9, 2012

PancakeParty
Jan 22, 2011

YankeeAirPirate posted:

So you want a reliable, foolproof way to turn 400,000 into 1,000,000?

I'm just curious if there's actually an investing advice service that anyone in the thread recommends for aggressive investing. I can set aside 40k a year for investing as and not be burdened too much if I hit a big loss.

Or is it a pipe dream, never ever gonna happen?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

PancakeParty posted:

If someone had a spare 40k/year to invest year over year and wanted to essentially run things on autopilot, what would be the best route?

I'd like to aggressively invest and turn my investments into at least a million within 10 years. Is it doable? 5 years would be even better, but I'm not counting on it.

I've looked into following along with Motley Fool Stock Advisor since the returns seem pretty good. Also thought about following along with Timothy Sykes on Covestor.

Are either of these good options? I'm a complete newbie, but anxious to learn the basics, although I know I'll never have the spare time to analyze and research stocks throughly like the pros do.

Turning 40 grand a year into a million within ten years requires producing a little under 17% on your money after inflation and taxes for a full ten years. I doubt there is an investor alive or dead who can maintain that record for that long.

If you want to run a portfolio on autopilot, the usual recommendation is a sheaf of index funds to which you add automatically, but those will not give you anywhere near the level of returns you want for this plan. I don't know about the Motley Fool advisory service, although I can't imagine that it will perform on this level either, but letting Timothy Sykes gamble in penny stocks for you is likely to come to a bad end.

PancakeParty posted:

I'm just curious if there's actually an investing advice service that anyone in the thread recommends for aggressive investing. I can set aside 40k a year for investing as and not be burdened too much if I hit a big loss.

Or is it a pipe dream, never ever gonna happen?

I'll put it this way: Anyone who can reliably produce returns of 25-30% a year from investing doesn't need to sell his advice.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Each year go to vegas and put 40k on red.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I dunno, with compound interest and everything, he should be able to do that pretty easily if he learns to get out before major drops and get back in for cheaper.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

PancakeParty posted:

If you have that much in liquid assets, you may qualify as a high net worth individual. You can go hedge fund shopping!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ayekappy posted:

he should be able to do that pretty easily if he learns to get out before major drops and get back in for cheaper.
Hmm, yes. If.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Jack posted:

This is the first day of natural selling in what half a year now. Guess we're going to get an emergency Fed meeting over the weekend. No way they allow 2 days straight of natural selling. Can't say you solved capitalism if stuff goes down.

Can you explain what exactly "Natural Selling" is, and how you can tell what kind of selling is going on? I tried using Investopedia but they don't have that term.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

i am not zach posted:

Can you explain what exactly "Natural Selling" is, and how you can tell what kind of selling is going on? I tried using Investopedia but they don't have that term.

Taking profits because you are
1. Above your target profit
2. Sure that up isn't the direction

It's like how NFLX crashed when Cramer said "sell since you've doubled your money"

minutemantm
Apr 7, 2009

Nothing is all wrong.
Anybody buying crude into this Egyptian news tonight?

Seems pretty contagious with Yemen making noise now too, figuring probably see a pretty strong rally this week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

I dunno, with compound interest and everything, he should be able to do that pretty easily if he learns to get out before major drops and get back in for cheaper.
At $40k/yr, he would need a 16.2% annual return for the whole 10 year period to get $1m. So no, that's the exact opposite of "pretty easy".

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.

Josh Lyman posted:

At $40k/yr, he would need a 16.2% annual return for the whole 10 year period to get $1m. So no, that's the exact opposite of "pretty easy".

Well, see, you didn't read the whole post there.

He just has to learn how to "get out before the major drops and get back in for cheaper."

Pretty easy.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Apollo_Creed posted:

He just has to learn how to "get out before the major drops and get back in for cheaper."

Pretty easy.

That's amazing! What do you call it?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Mr.Brinks posted:

That's amazing! What do you call it?

It's simply a matter of entering and exiting the market at the appropriate time. A form of "timing" the market, if you will.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

PancakeParty posted:

How about first, you go to the library, rent a book about stock market basics, and read it?

Crazy idea, but hey, I tried!

But I don't think it's the wisest idea to rely on those two advisor people. Better to just learn about the stock market and invest for yourself once you have a good enough idea of how to diversify your portfolio for minimum risk. Or just jump right into writing options right now since you wanna be aggressive

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 30, 2011

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I have this six sided dice with arrows on it. It's been pretty good at predicting the market for the last year.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Lisa, I'd like to buy your dice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hobologist posted:

It's simply a matter of entering and exiting the market at the appropriate time. A form of "timing" the market, if you will.
Does it involve Ichimoku clouds? :2bong:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone have an opinion on JNJ & PG? They took a bit of a haircut after earnings disappointed. I am figuring if the market starts to drop, they will drop with it and begin testing 52 week lows (especially JNJ).

Value buying opportunity or do you think their earnings represent the start of a trend of lovely performance?

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Does it involve Ichimoku clouds? :2bong:

If you can predict the weather, you can predict the price of oil!

Or at least that's what they told me in The Social Network movie. Man, talk about a movie spoon feeding get rich quick schemes.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Anyone have an opinion on JNJ & PG? They took a bit of a haircut after earnings disappointed. I am figuring if the market starts to drop, they will drop with it and begin testing 52 week lows (especially JNJ).

Value buying opportunity or do you think their earnings represent the start of a trend of lovely performance?

I'm a techie and know notta of their financials, but PG looks really boring over every time frame. Short term, if it approaches $61-60, I would look to buy but there really isn't all that much upside.

E: Yes, I just realized that I called PG boring.

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 31, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Its not supposed to be exciting. Its got a 3% dividend based on household necessities but I was under the impression both of them are starting to compete with generic store brand items now and people are willing to pass up name brands for a cheaper item that performs the same. I doubt either will double in size any time soon but they have solid dividends (I would need to check on the competition). I havent actually researched either though so I dont know how they stack up at the moment.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 31, 2011

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

lightpole posted:

Its not supposed to be exciting. Its got a 3% dividend based on household necessities but I was under the impression both of them are starting to compete with generic store brand items now and people are willing to pass up name brands for a cheaper item that performs the same. I doubt either will double in size any time soon but they have solid dividends (I would need to check on the competition). I havent actually researched either though so I dont know how they stack up at the moment.

I would be looking for the dividend mainly. JNJ also is diversified pretty well, so they don't have the problems that other drug companies like Eli Lilly and Pfizer have with patent expiration.

I have been waiting for a some sort of significant pullback over the last month to buy some long positions for the next couple of years+. Friday had me hopeful, but alas....

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah thats what I figured, they are good dividends. I just wasnt sure of the competition in this economy.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

If it falls below 62, I like it.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Both of the stocks are 30% above what I would call undeniably cheap, but then again I don't believe in growth. If you do assume that both companies can at least keep up with inflation, I would call both of them fairly valued, but Johnson & Johnson seems more attractive to me.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, so:

26 yrs old, no debt, employed (safely but not particularly lucratively), saving each month. Educated in financial basics (401k, RothIRA, and index funds!), not really in details. Something like $22k in my Roth IRA, $15k in my 401k (both invested in Vanguard's 2050 target retirement fund), excess savings into a split between several Vanguard index funds and one REIT fund: about $44k in those personal non-IRA investments at the moment.

Point is: received 10 shares of AAPL in certificate form for my bar-mitzvah in April 1997. Of course, those 10 shares my dad's best friend bought at about $15 each are now 40 shares at over $300. No gloating here - I had nothing to do with that decision, and am a lucky bastard.

Anyway. It was making me really antsy to have the stock in certificate form and know I couldn't sell immediately when I wanted or anything - and to know that if I lost or damaged it, I might be screwed. Also, potentially $13k in one stock was way overinvested for me given the size of my current portfolio and the fact that I don't really know enough to trade individual stocks. So: just sent the certificate in to Apple's stock transfer agent, directing them to sell. I know I could have tried to arrange it to be managed by a broker (don't currently have a broker for individual stocks, just a Vanguard mutual fund account), but basically I just wanted to get rid of that certificate and make those gains non-theoretical, without hemming and hawing any longer. And as far as my (worthless) gut feeling went, I didn't think now was a terrible time to sell.

That's all water under the bridge, but it made me think about stock trading, and I have at least one question:

Why isn't Vanguard one of the recommended brokers? It looks like if I have $50k or more with them, which I do, all trades are $7 each -- seems pretty standard, right? If I were to start learning the stuff and set up a stock brokerage account, any reason not to do it at Vanguard, where almost all of my money currently is? It sounds like Zecco's or a few others might have slightly lower fees, but I'm not sure that's a major concern for me -- more wondering whether Vanguard's features are insufficient?

More generally: should I educate myself further and get into stock trading, or continue my lazy-rear end market indexing? How much does one stand to gain from stock trading, or is it mostly a "just do this if you're already genuinely interested" sort of thing? My inclination is to stick with simple for now, but read a book or two from the OP to see if I'm interested, but I'm wondering if people in the stock thread genuinely recommend stock trading, or are just trying to help everyone who'd do it anyway do it better.

Thanks much, thread, apologies for the tl;dr. Feel free to laugh at me when AAPL hits 400.

edit: I'm going to get hit with capital gains tax for this. If I had sent it in to be managed by a brokerage account, then sold to reinvest in ETFs or something, would I have avoided capital gains? Wondering if I should try to call Computershare tomorrow to ask them to send the certificate back, or ask them to hold it rather than sell, or something. If I can't, not a huge deal, but I suddenly feel like I acted without thinking everything through.

onefish fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 1, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there a general consensus as to what's the best discount brokerage? I've got $5000 (minus fifteen shares of MCP) sitting in my mom's Wells Fargo free trading brokerage account, and I'd like to have more control over it.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there a general consensus as to what's the best discount brokerage? I've got $5000 (minus fifteen shares of MCP) sitting in my mom's Wells Fargo free trading brokerage account, and I'd like to have more control over it.

Zecco's is pretty solid, but I used it like a year or two ago and haven't since.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Any opinion on HNP (Huaneng Power International) as a long term dividend stock? Or is their any other dividend stocks I should take a look at?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Rello posted:

Any opinion on HNP (Huaneng Power International) as a long term dividend stock? Or is their any other dividend stocks I should take a look at?

Just from a quick look at their numbers, I saw these red flags:

300% debt to equity and a current ratio of .42. Their ROA is small, even for a utility. They have had a 100% dividend growth over the last year.

That being said, I don't really know much about Chinese utilities, or Chinese stocks in general. However, I would begin your research at reasoning behind all that.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

onefish posted:

Why isn't Vanguard one of the recommended brokers? It looks like if I have $50k or more with them, which I do, all trades are $7 each -- seems pretty standard, right?

Most of the time, when people are asking for broker recommendations it is because they are going to actively trading often. Vanguard isn't the best for this because they have no desktop charting platform and their order submission process is not the quickest. However, if you have money with Vanguard and qualify for the reasonably priced stock trades, and are only going to be swing trading (holding positions for weeks, not hours) there is no reason not to go with them. Just open a brokerage account with them and it will display on your accounts page along with your mutual funds. This is what I do.

quote:

edit: I'm going to get hit with capital gains tax for this. If I had sent it in to be managed by a brokerage account, then sold to reinvest in ETFs or something, would I have avoided capital gains?

Capital gains tax is determined by whether or not you are selling your asset. It has nothing to do with whether or not you reinvest immediately, because that is a separate transaction. Either way you are taxed the same.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Nifty posted:

[Vanguard info plus...]

Capital gains tax is determined by whether or not you are selling your asset. It has nothing to do with whether or not you reinvest immediately, because that is a separate transaction. Either way you are taxed the same.

Thank you VERY much.

And, from what little research I've been able to do, stock never qualifies for a "like-kind" transfer? Basically, if I want to get out of this stock, there is no way to avoid capital gains? (Heh, scheming to avoid or delay taxes. Now I feel like a plutocrat on 42k a year.)

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Just from a quick look at their numbers, I saw these red flags:

300% debt to equity and a current ratio of .42. Their ROA is small, even for a utility. They have had a 100% dividend growth over the last year.

That being said, I don't really know much about Chinese utilities, or Chinese stocks in general. However, I would begin your research at reasoning behind all that.

Gotcha, Thanks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yes, sell for a loss and get a write off.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

Yes, sell for a loss and get a write off.

Oh right, I did that amount of research as well. Ok, not possible for me. But appreciated that you reminded me of the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
This is getting somewhat ridiculous. I am wondering if things will take a breather once earnings die down...