Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Hey, I just bought a Kindle and I'm looking for free books to load it with.

I was wondering if people on this thread had any recommendations of good out-of-copyright books on military history I can download for free? So far I've got Herodotus, Thucydides and Gibbon. Any era is welcome.

I hope this question wasn't too tangential. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NightGyr posted:

Turkey has had this sort of thing happen repeatedly. Government gets corrupt, country falls into chaos, military takes over for a few years, democracy is restored, repeat.

Turkey is a poor example here given how the army has been keeping their finger in the politics, and at least the threat of coup has always been there. A more ideal example would be the Portuguese Carnation Revolution of 1974, when the Salazarian dictatorship was overthrown by leftist officers, leading into a stable democracy.

It's not often that such coups work, though. I guess the Romanian revolution could be given as an example - in the end, the army refused to oppose the demonstrators. The way the Soviet forces in Moscow supported Yeltsin (rather than the conservatives who had detained Gorbachev) in 1991 is another one, although not as straightforward.

Phosphate
Jul 17, 2009

Readman posted:

I was wondering if people on this thread had any recommendations of good out-of-copyright books on military history I can download for free? So far I've got Herodotus, Thucydides and Gibbon. Any era is welcome.

Lives of the Twelve Caesars by Tranquillus are free & pretty interesting. There's a bunch of other Roman stuff for free on Kindle too, just search "Caesar".

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

AbleArcher posted:

But it's a purely supporting role.

40mins of spade work and the defender has fighting position that will absorb any amount of small arms thrown against it. The defender will be on known ground and his own fire will order of magnitude more effective because of it. The attacker cannot trust to winning a contest of fire. Even if he did he is likely to exhausted and low on ammo to hold the position when the enemy counter attack arrives.

It’s the arrival of the grenade (admittedly followed shortly after by a bayoneted assault rifle) that explains to the enemy the defense has failed.

Not really...at least not really in the modern sense. Once again, machine guns/mortars/etc suppress enemy fires and fix him in position. Riflemen then maneuver and assault the enemy position. Grenades, rifles, bayonets, shotguns, sharp sticks...whatever. They're just tools used by the assaulting forces.

Also, SAWs are physically machine guns but treated as automatic rifles.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Readman posted:

Where is the best place to download those freebies? Right off of Amazon or archive.org, etc?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

EvanSchenck posted:

I'm not unilaterally saying that the Sherman sucked or that it didn't do just fine 80% (or whatever) of the time, I'm saying that the United States was capable of procuring a medium tank that would have done just fine 95% of the time, and probably would have done so if they hadn't been stuck on Tank Destroyer theory.

At what cost, though? There are trade-offs. They couldn't wave a magic wand and turn Shermans into Pershings. I don't know what the cost of making upgunned Shermans 6 months earlier would have been, but it wouldn't have been zero, and something else would have to pay that cost as a result. Considering that US armor performed spectacularly well on an operational and strategic scale, I think there are serious questions as to whether such upgunning would be worth it. If the cost is "there are no TDs", then I don't think it is worth it. More AFVs is better than fewer.

It's also worth it to note that the period of time when 75mm Shermans faced unkillable German tanks in France was only about 2-3 months. 76mm Shermans are introduced into France July through September of 44. The US sees its first tank that a 75mm Sherman can't kill frontally at range in 1943, and it only sees a handful of them. They never fight a Panther until June 1944. It takes them a year to scale up the Sherman's gun and get the 76mm models across the ocean. Compare to the German reaction to tough-to-kill T-34s, KVs, and French Char B-1s, which takes until very late 1942/early 1943 to get Panzer IVs with the 75mm/L43 gun. And let's not forget that at Kursk, 1 in 6 German tanks was still a Panzer III or a IV with a 75mm/L24. Now, you'd expect the industrial giant that is the 1940s US to beat the Germans on up-arming, but my point is that command saw that there was room for improvement, and made improvement happen pretty darn fast compared to the other guys.

Combat example of 75mm Shermans holding their own - the battle of Arracourt. September 44, Lorraine. 5th Panzer Army hits US XII Corps. The star of the show is US 4th Armored Division. They are hit by 75 Panzer IVs, 107 Panthers, and 80 other assorted AFVs. They have around 186 Shermans (almost exclusively with 75mm guns still, Patton was a holdout on introducing 76mm Shermans to 3rd Army until after this battle), 77 Stuarts, and a TD battalion with 36 Hellcats on the OOB, unclear how many actually fought. The US tanks and TDs set ambushes, take advantage of terrain, and kick the pants off the clearly superior German tanks. German losses are 86 total write-offs, 114 with damage, and they stagger away with only 62 AFVs capable of combat operations at the end of the battle. US losses for 4th Armored are 41 Shermans and 7 Stuarts for the month of September - most but not all of these are from the battle in question. Only reason Germans don't get chased across the West Wall is because the fuel goes to Market Garden instead of US 3rd Army. Outmatched tanks winning because they were used well.

I guess my beef is that I feel the Sherman is being criticized based on a few nightmare anecdotes of unkillable Tigers. On an operational and strategic level, the US tank/TD arm performs extremely well. Is there room for improvement? Sure, there always is. Is the 75mm Sherman in Normandy a death trap? No. For the war, US armor lost 3 afvs for 2 German lost, on the offensive, advancing at operational speeds never before seen. They worked okay.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone have any opinions on this book about the Byzantine Empire?

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Strategy-Byzantine-Empire-ebook/dp/B003UD7QIS/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I saw it in the bookstore and it looks fascinating and also accessible. I looked up the author on wiki though and apparently he thinks Obama is a muslim in disguise so welp. So not only is that dumb but I am worried he might have several unsavory biases.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Strategy-Byzantine-Empire-ebook/dp/B003UD7QIS/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I saw it in the bookstore and it looks fascinating and also accessible. I looked up the author on wiki though and apparently he thinks Obama is a muslim in disguise so welp. So not only is that dumb but I am worried he might have several unsavory biases.

Eric McGeer says it's ok, and he's a good egg when it comes to Imperial military stuff. I wouldn't read it uncritically but Luttwak's going to be better than Bernard 'The Extrapolator' Bachrach or Stephen Morillo.

edit: I just checked my notes and it turns out I think McGeer has trouble understanding cultural motivations. Read with caution.

edit2: still probably better than Bachrach or Morillo.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 30, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Eric McGeer says it's ok, and he's a good egg when it comes to Imperial military stuff. I wouldn't read it uncritically but Luttwak's going to be better than Bernard 'The Extrapolator' Bachrach or Stephen Morillo.

edit: I just checked my notes and it turns out I think McGeer has trouble understanding cultural motivations. Read with caution.

edit2: still probably better than Bachrach or Morillo.

From some of what I've read about it I am concerned he tries to draw too many parallels between the Byzantine history and modern US foreign policy, which I think is loving stupid for this type of book. But maybe I am incorrect.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

From some of what I've read about it I am concerned he tries to draw too many parallels between the Byzantine history and modern US foreign policy, which I think is loving stupid for this type of book. But maybe I am incorrect.

Eh, as long as you're looking at the comparisons critically it shouldn't be a problem. Really, I'd be happy for him to go too far and have 3 reasonable comparisons and 3 dumb ones than 1 reasonable and 0 dumb. Showing the relevance of the past to the present is one of the major functions of history, after all.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where is the best place to download those freebies? Right off of Amazon or archive.org, etc?

I've been mainly using Project Gutenberg so far. But I don't really want to threadjack and start talking about places to download ebooks, just wanting some recommendations. :)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Readman posted:

I've been mainly using Project Gutenberg so far. But I don't really want to threadjack and start talking about places to download ebooks, just wanting some recommendations. :)

I would download all of Livy's stuff myself. In fact I plan to do so when I get my own kindle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can someone explain the difference between 20th-century firearm categories? I'm talking post-WWII, here, although discussions on the evolutions of the terms might be interesting in and of themselves. I'm more interested in doctrinal than technical differences.

I'll list the ones that I think I comprehend first. Battle rifles are, if I understand, rifles that are capable of semi-automatic fire and possibly automatic or burst fire. Modern ones contain magazines containing between 15-30 full-powered rifle rounds or so.

These are different from assault rifles in that they are capable of greater range and accuracy compared to the later rifles. Their doctrinal (US) role nowadays seems to be giving a squad one or two marksmen who can reach out and touch someone beyond the assault riflemen's range.

I think my understanding is somewhat in line with conventional definitions. But what about the various machine gun classes? These I can barely make heads or tails of even with Wikipedia's help.

What's the operational difference between, say, a light machine gun, a squad automatic, a medium MG, and a heavy MG?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What's the operational difference between, say, a light machine gun, a squad automatic, a medium MG, and a heavy MG?

The definitions vary from army to army. Generally speaking, a light machinegun is operated by one or two men in a rifle squad and is usually fired from a bipod. Sometimes it uses assault rifle ammunition to be compatible with the rest of the squad, sometimes full rifle cartridges.

Squad Automatic Weapon is a US typification, and there is a significant overlap with the former. Brits call theirs as Light Support Weapon, so there isn't much of a standard in that sense. I think its utility comes when a squad or platoon might have two types of light machineguns, like M249 and M60, to avoid confusion. I don't consider SAW as a real meaningful classification, it is more of a name of convenience. I would find it more useful if it was used only for weapons such as RPK which is a Kalashnikov assault rifle with a bigger magazine and longer barrel.

Medium machinegun uses rifle cartridges and is usually operated from a tripod, although sometimes can also be used on a bipod. It requires a small team to operate and to carry the tripod and ammo. Heavy machinegun is like MMG but usually has a heavier caliber, like .50 cal or 14.5mm. They are heavy pieces and not easy to lug around in a battlefield; on the other hand, weight makes them more stable and hence accurate at longer ranges. They also have bigger oomph, which makes them effective against (some) helicopters and light armoured vehicles.

l33t Lurker
Aug 31, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Read The Wars of Justinian by Propcopius to get a propagandized, contemporary story. Then read his The Secret History for a more honest depiction of what went on in the Empire.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I'll try and make this as easy to read as possible, heh. These are generalized obviously.

One important thing to note: the LMG/MMG/HMG designations are really more from the WWII era, postwar we've really moved to using SAWs in the squad fire support role and General Purpose MGs (GPMG) for everything else. In this case, a single weapon (MG42, FN MAG, etc) can fill all 3 roles depending on the tactics and accessories used.

The other important thing to remember is that these classifications are based on both on equipment and how they're used tactically, so that makes things more complicated.

Squad automatic weapon:
  • Usually a buffed up assault rifle, sometimes is a different weapon (M249)
  • One man crew
  • Uses same ammo and can use same magazines as riflemen
  • Distributed one per fire team (1 SAW, 3 rifles)
  • Role is to provide fire support for fire team
  • Examples: M249, L86

General Purpose machine gun
  • Belt fed
  • Air cooled
  • Usually uses full sized rifle ammo
  • If dismounted, uses bipod/tripod
  • Designed to be mounted on vehicles as well as standalone
  • At least 2 man crew
  • Sometimes assigned by platoon, usually 2 per
  • Designed to fill all roles, from SAW all the way up to HMG
  • Examples: MG42, M60, MAG, PKM

Light machine gun
  • Can be belt or magazine fed
  • Air cooled
  • Uses bipod
  • 1 or 2 man crew
  • Usually uses full sized rifle ammo
  • Usually distributed one per squad
  • Role is as fire support for squad; designed to move forward with attack
  • Examples: Lewis Gun, Bren Gun, BAR

Medium machine gun
  • Belt fed
  • Air cooled
  • Comes with T&E mechanism or tripod
  • 2 or 3 man crew
  • Uses .30 class ammo
  • Main role is as defensive/support weapon, but can go forward slowly
  • Usually distributed by company in heavy weapons section
  • Examples: M1919, MG34, PKM

Heavy machine gun
  • Belt fed
  • Uses tripod or T&E mech
  • Sometimes water cooled, some air cooled
  • At least .30 class ammo all the way up to .50 or even 20mm
  • Usually distributed 1-3 per company, or in a battalion heavy weapons section
  • 3-6 man crew
  • Solely defensive/support weapon, doesn't move much
  • Examples: M1917, M2HB, Vickers MG, Maxim 08, DSHK

Well that was clear as mud.

Also, the only real difference between a battle rifle and assault rifle is ammo. Battle rifles use full rifle cartridges, assault rifles use .22 caliber class or short .30s.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 30, 2011

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
.22 is not even in the same family as .223, which is what M4's and the like run. Analogous to 5.56mm NATO basically.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

gohuskies posted:

At what cost, though? There are trade-offs. They couldn't wave a magic wand and turn Shermans into Pershings. I don't know what the cost of making upgunned Shermans 6 months earlier would have been, but it wouldn't have been zero, and something else would have to pay that cost as a result. Considering that US armor performed spectacularly well on an operational and strategic scale, I think there are serious questions as to whether such upgunning would be worth it. If the cost is "there are no TDs", then I don't think it is worth it. More AFVs is better than fewer.

The production of Shermans was so immense (around 50,000) that it's doubtful that shifting some amount of production would have damaged overall output in any way significant to actual frontline performance. The real bottleneck wasn't rolling them off the assembly line, it was shipping them across the Atlantic. Procurement of M4s with 76mm guns or even an improved successor to the M4 was already prepared in 1943, what stopped it was not production concerns but the army's adherence to Tank Destroyer doctrine. And again, we're arguing at cross-purposes; the issue is not whether the M4 and Tank Destroyers were able to perform adequately in the right circumstances, but whether a force based around a universal medium tank would have done better--performed as well in offensive engagements as they did in defensive ones like the case you cited, inflicted more German casualties, suffered fewer losses, etc. There's every reason to believe that performance would have been better with armored forces designed for flexibility rather than rigid combat roles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Revolvyerom posted:

.22 is not even in the same family as .223, which is what M4's and the like run. Analogous to 5.56mm NATO basically.

Dont mix and match 5.56 and .223 ammo unless you know what you're doing. They are not the same and you can cause yourself serious injury by loving around.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Hey i hope I don't get banned for posting this in TFR but I am interested in reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Whats the best translation? What should I expect...I've been told its the Chinese Illiad.

Is it possible to follow without a pre-existing knowledge of Chinese history?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

Hey i hope I don't get banned for posting this in TFR but I am interested in reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Whats the best translation? What should I expect...I've been told its the Chinese Illiad.

I don't rightly know, but... this thread isn't in TFR. I'mma talk to one of my Asian history buds down the hall, see what he sez about RotTK.

edit: okay, Asian history guy says that you'll probably want to wiki-search Chinese history for that period before you read it but that should be enough. I forgot to ask him about a translation and he just went back to sleep, sorry.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 31, 2011

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Modern Day Hercules posted:

In regards to the brief bronze vs iron discussion earlier in the thread, my understanding of the reason behind the change to iron was that an iron sword could just straight up break a bronze sword, rather than a bronze sword not being able to stay sharp/deadly.

One of the major advantages iron has over bronze is that it is everywhere and cheap.

Bronze needs copper, which has never been cheap, and tin, which you need to import from the British isles.

Quantity has a quality etc.

[edit]
woops, that was answered a page ago.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
1) Why is the stock on a Mosin so short?
2) What is the coolest looking firearm historically used (My vote goes to either the Bren or the Owen gun).
3) Thoughts on Taiwan's chances in a war with China? I like how their mbt is basically an M-48.
4) Are paratroops actually still used, or have high-capacity helicopters pretty much made parachuting obsolete?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

edit: okay, Asian history guy says that you'll probably want to wiki-search Chinese history for that period before you read it but that should be enough. I forgot to ask him about a translation and he just went back to sleep, sorry.

Ok sweet. Ya i basically have a wiki level knowledge of Ancient China + about 200 hours of the Dynasty Warriors franchise so hopefully I'm set. Thanks

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

billion dollar bitch posted:

3) Thoughts on Taiwan's chances in a war with China? I like how their mbt is basically an M-48.

Depends on what the Chinese want to do. If they just want to blockade Taiwan they could probably do it. If they want to actually invade, and the Americans don't get in, they might be able to do it but probably not. Taiwan has a huge army and could potentially mobilize millions of men, so any invasion would probably have to be on a scale bigger than Normandy. If the Americans do get in then the world has bigger problems than Taiwan.

There are Taiwanese cities within rifle range of the mainland.

quote:

4) Are paratroops actually still used, or have high-capacity helicopters pretty much made parachuting obsolete?

They were used in Iraq. It is widely questioned whether the operation was actually necessary, as opposed to being strictly to "prove" the usefulness of mass parachute jumps.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 31, 2011

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

quote:

Are paratroops actually still used, or have high-capacity helicopters pretty much made parachuting obsolete

Its not so much the case of it being obsolete, there will always be a requirement for it in very specific situations and in the small-scale Special Forces world.

The reality of modern warfare however is very much media driven and the potential for astronomical causalities, and the resulting bad press, is considerable after a unsuccessful airborne drop. That's why in part that when it is done (to a certain extent the 173rd in OIF / and to a greater extent the RAF Regiment in Sierra Leone), its in such controlled circumstances that the actual requirement to carry one out is questionable at best.

Helicopter enabled operations on the other hand, allow the shuttling of both troops and supplies into an out of the way area and WIA out. It also maintains the fudge factor of being able to lift everyone back out again if everything goes horribly wrong. Obviously Helicopters are very vulnerable if the landing is thought to be contested, but as I stated above, no one in their right mind is going to drop 1000s of potential 24hour news obituaries on top of a prepared enemy position any more, parachute or not.

The only way I see it being used in the future is in the initial stages of an invasion against a enemy force, which you have complete domination over before the first boot hits the ground. It still provides a useful force multiplier of sorts, but not at the risk of a massive war loosing cock up.

Its not so much a case of heavy lift helicopters making parachuting obsolete, but weapons becoming much more deadly and the general public's causality tolerances bottoming out since world war 2.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Throatwarbler posted:

Depends on what the Chinese want to do. If they just want to blockade Taiwan they could probably do it. If they want to actually invade, and the Americans don't get in, they might be able to do it but probably not. Taiwan has a huge army and could potentially mobilize millions of men, so any invasion would probably have to be on a scale bigger than Normandy. If the Americans do get in then the world has bigger problems than Taiwan.

There are Taiwanese cities within rifle range of the mainland.

What is the deal with China and Taiwan anyway? Is it a puppet state? Is it a part of China? What's going on?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Boiled Water posted:

What is the deal with China and Taiwan anyway? Is it a puppet state? Is it a part of China? What's going on?

Read the wiki. Relations between China and Taiwan have been improving very quickly recently, "a sudden breakout of peace" in the word of The Economist. At this point the chances of war between Taiwan and China are remote.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Godholio posted:

Dont mix and match 5.56 and .223 ammo unless you know what you're doing. They are not the same and you can cause yourself serious injury by loving around.
But the practical difference between the two is vanishingly small, whereas believing .22 is anything like .223 (or even any larger pistol caliber) is a grievous error.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Revolvyerom posted:

But the practical difference between the two is vanishingly small, whereas believing .22 is anything like .223 (or even any larger pistol caliber) is a grievous error.

To be abundantly clear I assure you that I know the difference between a .22LR and .223, I was referring to assault rifle calibers in the vicinity of .22. This being why I used the word "class".

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

Put simply, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) rebelled against the Nationalist-led government (KMT)in 1927. This "ended" in 1949 with a KMT retreat to Taiwan, though nothing was signed and officially the government in Taiwan maintains that they're the legitimate Chinese government, while the mainland government includes Taiwan as a province on their maps. For a while the KMT promised to return to mainland China and retake it, though hopes of that more or less finished with the UN's recognition of the CCP government in Beijing in the 70's.

There's quite a bit of dialogue between the two sides these days, and trade is going along at a steady pace. It doesn't look like there's going to be any resolution of the political status though, as the status quo works pretty well for both governments.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Answered in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381055&pagenumber=1#post387001338, by Pfirti86 in TBB. Moss Roberts' version.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Can someone explain why the 76mm Sherman was so different from the 75mm Sherman? The numbers make it seem like such a small difference but apparently it had a large effect, why was that?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Can someone explain why the 76mm Sherman was so different from the 75mm Sherman? The numbers make it seem like such a small difference but apparently it had a large effect, why was that?

The 76mm gun was a completely different gun to the 75mm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_gun_M1, with almost double the armour penetration, allowing it to penetrate German tanks such as Panthers and Tigers frontally at more than point blank range.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The difference in caliber is neglible (obviously), the big difference was that the casing of the 76mm gun held a lot more propellant and its barrel was a lot longer, which meant that it could fire a heavier AP projectile a lot faster.

I was trying to find a picture of the two shell side by side, this is the closest I could get:

The Sherman's 75mm gun fired the 75x243, the 76mm gun's shell was close to the 75x495 (the Brits "Firefly" tank fired the x583 round which was even more powerful). Note how much more propellant can be carried in the latter. The x243 shell was really not designed as an antitank weapon, it was an "all around" job with an emphasis on HE, the 76mm was a more specific AP platform.

Amusing anecdote: originally the 76mm gun was rejected in part because it was so long that it kept running into the ground and poo poo, the installed barrel was about 15 inches shorter than the original one (which took between 5 and 10% of its performance).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Revolvyerom posted:

I agree it's not blindingly retarded like .22-.223, but in the wrong gun a 5.56 round can destroy the chamber, which is probably right next to the shooter's face. The 5.56 has a higher chamber pressure due to the different burn rate/amount of powder, and the casing is actually a little different. You'd probably never notice unless you held them up next to each other.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
First, I would like to say that I just spent the last few days reading through the entire thread and this is all fantastic stuff.

Second, questions! And lots of them.

-What's the consensus on McArthur and Montgomery? (My opinion is that they were both egomaniacs who allowed their ego to get in the way of their abilities, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)

-What's the opinion of Ambrose Burnside? Does he deserve the poor reputation that he got?

-What exactly WAS the Crimean War? I hear about it a lot, but I have no idea what actually happened. Why the hell was Britain fighting in Russia?

Also, if anyone wants to know, I can answer some questions about the War in the Pacific, particularly on The Battle of Leyte Gulf, though I think that if there's any more discussion about the Second World War the thread's going to collapse in upon itself.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
One of the key issues with Taiwan is whether the Chinese have the naval and aerial capability to get enough troops and tanks onto the island. If Taiwan was a peninsula things would be much grimmer for them, but as it is, China doesn't have all that many aircraft and boats.

I suspect that if the US stopped backing Taiwan they could probably just grind them down over time, but as people have mentioned, it's quite unlikely that there'll be a war.

Edit: China has been very good at isolating Taiwan internationally. The US is one of a few (23, wiki says) countries that really recognizes Taiwan. Most other countries have been pried away with a combination of stick and carrot diplomacy by China.

Question: In that earlier picture of the different tank shells, etc, are any of those the famed German 88?

Second question: How useful are helicopter gunships like the Apache and Hind in a war against a 'real' opponent (ie, one that could seriously contest the airspace)? I don't understand how they wouldn't be very easy targets for enemy fighter jets.

ManicParroT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 1, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flying low helps hide them from radar, plus you would throw your fighters in the air to deal with their fighters.

Flying alone, yes they're sitting ducks. Airpower is one area where comparing system to system can be completely misleading...there are SO many other things going on around that one system that impact how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I found an interesting story on another forum. Apparently on Iwo Jima, a destroyer off shore picked up transmissions from a Marine tank company in battle. Thought people might be interested in reading it, it's a look into what it might have been like to have been in a tank in battle.

quote:

Tank Talk

In the background of the transmissions, one could hear the chatter of machine gun fire. The voices of the men ranged from flat and authoritative, with moments of acid stress, to almost unbelievable male soprano during peaks of excitement. Red One is the tank company commander.

"This is Red One. Blue Two and Blue Three, move left a little, but be careful of the swamp."

This is Red Two, Red One. Heartburn says that he is ready to start shooting at those pillboxes."

"Tell Heartburn I can't receive him. You will have to relay. Tell him to give us a signal and we'll spot for him."

"Red Two, wilco."

"Heartburn, raise your fire. You're right into us."

"That's not Heartburn, Red Two. That's a high velocity gun from our left rear. I heard it whistle. Red One, out."

"Red Three, this is Red One. Can you see that gun that's shooting at us?"

"Red One, I think that our own gunfire."

"Dammit, it's not, I tell you. It's a high velocity gun and not a howitzer. Investigate over there on your left. But watch out for the infantry; they're right in there somewhere. Red Two, tell Heartburn, Down Fifty, Left Fifty."

"Red Two, wilco."

"Red Three, what are you doing? Go southwest."

" I am heading southwest, Red One."

"For Christ's sake, get oriented! I can see you, Red Three. You are moving northeast. Fox Love with hard left brake. Cross the road and go back up behind that house."

"But..."

"I don't know why I bother with you, Red Three! Yellow One, take charge of Red Three and get him squared away. And get that gun. Its too close!"

"Red One from Red Two. Heartburn wants to know if we are the front lines."

"Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now."

"This Red Two. Artillery on the way."

"Red One, wilco."

"Red One from Yellow One. I can see some Japs setting up a machine gun about a hundred yards to our right."

"Those are our troops, Yellow One. Don't shoot in there."

"The man at my telephone-I think he's an officer-says we have no troops in there."

"Yellow Two, go over there and investigate. Don't shoot at them. That man at your telephone probably doesn't know where the troops are. If they're Japs, run over'em."

"Yellow Two, wilco."

(A long pause)

"Go ahead Yellow Two. What in God's name are you waiting for?"

"I'm up as far as I can go and still depress my machine guns."

"The hell with the machine guns. I told you to run over them. Run over them, Dammit! Obey your orders!"

"Yellow Two, wilco."

"Green Two, do a right flank and go up to the top of that hill. Keep in defilade. Red Two and Yellow One, open out a little more. Guide Right. Move out, now. And watch very closely; these troops are in a position to get into the same sort of trouble that they did yesterday. They're all screwed up, so be ready to move immediately."

"Green Three, where are you?"

"I'm on the left of the road, Red One, just below Green Two."

"Raise the muzzle of your gun so I can spot you."

"Green Three, wilco."

"I thought so. Move out some more. I can't tell whether you or Green One is at fault, but you are too close."

"Move over, Green Three! You're within ten yards of me now!"

"O.K. O.K., Green One. I'm movin'!"

"Yellow One, what have you to report on that machine gun?"

"Red One, a Jap stood up and threw a hand grenade at us so I gave him a squirt."

"Did you run over that gun like I told you?"

"No, Red One, we put an HE in it, and wrecked it. It's gone."

"drat! Won't you people ever learn to conserve your ammunition?"

"All tanks, move out. Guide right and open out the interval to one hundred yards. Red Two and Red Three, you are too close. Why are you always too close? Open out to the left flank."

"Red One from Green Four. I am moving out to take a pillbox the infantry's pointed out. I will take care of it and let them catch up."

"Where is it, Green Four?"

"In that clump of bushes to my right. It's one of those coconut log things. It looks like it might be too strong to squash. Can you see it? Is it all right to fire in the slit?"

"Affirmative. But be careful."

"Wilco."

"See that mortar over there, Hap?"

"No I don't Fuzzy. Where?"

"To your right. I'm squirtin' now."

"O.K. I got it."

"Red One, this is Blue Two. I just passed six AA guns looked like they was in pretty good shape and just been deserted. I destroyed 'em anyhow."

"O.K. Blue Two, Wilco."

"Red One, this is Hairless. We've got some Japs bottled up in two caves in Target Area Four Baker. We'd like you to leave two tanks to watch them."

"You know drat well that's infantry work. We're a mobile unit, not watchdogs. Put your saki drinkers in there."

"O.K. Harry."

"Red One, out."

"All tanks, this is Red One. Start 'em up. Move out now. Guide right and form a shallow right echelon. As soon as we hit the flat ground around the airfield, spread out to 150 yard interval. All right, move out, move out."

• Locked thread