Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I just had 10 minutes that were better than sex. If I ever have the cash, I am buying a battletech pod, and playing it non stop for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

7thBatallion posted:

I just had 10 minutes that were better than sex. If I ever have the cash, I am buying a battletech pod, and playing it non stop for a day.

Woah now, the pods are awesome but I'm not sure I'd call them better than sex...

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WarLocke posted:

Woah now, the pods are awesome but I'm not sure I'd call them better than sex...

It was my first time and I kicked rear end. Everything was intuitive and after 30 seconds I had the whole thing down, including setting up weapon groups, using coolant, and headcapping with twin Gauss. I'm heading back tomorrow with a few friends to get another game on, gonna be wearing my Vibrams for easier torso twisting and a flight deck helmet and goggles for shits and giggles. I just need to paint up my Mech's logo on the front and get kill markers on the back. It'll be something like this, but refined and hand painted.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Honestly I'm surprised you found someplace that still had pods and was running them. But hell yeah if I could get time in one I would too. There's just something about actually being in a cockpit that makes the whole thing a thousand times cooler. :iia:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WarLocke posted:

Honestly I'm surprised you found someplace that still had pods and was running them. But hell yeah if I could get time in one I would too. There's just something about actually being in a cockpit that makes the whole thing a thousand times cooler. :iia:

8 pods, actually. And that's all they have. No tables, no Magic cards, just the pods.

On that note, can you make or insert custom 'Mechs for the game? I really want to use my Cauldron Born, the Starlancer II. It's been my signature 'Mech for over a decade now.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 29, 2011

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

7thBatallion posted:

On that note, can you make or insert custom 'Mechs for the game? I really want to use my Cauldron Born, the Starlancer II. It's been my signature 'Mech for over a decade now.

Aside from wanting my own pod, I'd love if you could put custom mechs in there.
My AT&T Timberwolf would be a blast to play "Reach out and touch someone" with.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Error 404 posted:

Aside from wanting my own pod, I'd love if you could put custom mechs in there.
My AT&T Timberwolf would be a blast to play "Reach out and touch someone" with.

I'm not sure how it works out in the Pods, but my Starlancer II has dual LB10Xs in the arms, twin LRM-15s in each torso and with the II model twin ERMLs in the CT, in the IIa model a LAMS in the CT. I have a lance of 'Mechs that altogether fire 150 individual tracked shots. If I fire at any 'Mech I get at least one head hit each turn. They are the 7th Batallion. They are the Clusterfuckers.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

7thBatallion posted:

I'm not sure how it works out in the Pods, but my Starlancer II has dual LB10Xs in the arms, twin LRM-15s in each torso and with the II model twin ERMLs in the CT, in the IIa model a LAMS in the CT. I have a lance of 'Mechs that altogether fire 150 individual tracked shots. If I fire at any 'Mech I get at least one head hit each turn. They are the 7th Batallion. They are the Clusterfuckers.

I mentioned the stats of my AT&T Timberwolf earlier, but basically the LRM pods on the shoulders are replaced with CERGauss rifles, the arms have CERPPCs, and the rest is engines, armor, heatsinks, and ammo. hence the "reach out and touch someone" name.

In a full star, I'd have another AT&T, and 3 packhunters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Era Report: 3052 is pretty loving awesome.

That is all.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Whoa, drat, I thought the Era Reports were just going to be one of those small pdf-only things.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
No, those are the Era Digests (like Golden Century, which is pretty drat cool as well).

There's another Era Report coming too: 3062.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LOLshevik posted:

As far as I know, this hasn't been undertaken/circulated before.

Whether you think its warranted, or ascends me closer to nerd godhood, is another question altogether. :ohdear:

I have a hard time calling Davion good, since their entire society is built around military conquest of their neighbors and nothing else. They're not really any better than Kurita except that their methodology isn't batshit. I have a hard time knowing where the AFFS ends and the rest of the Federated Suns begins.

And ComStar? Old ComStar is Lawful Evil, post-Schism ComStar is a sort of bumbling Lawful Good.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I see I can get a huge amount of those wizkids Mechwarrior figures for relatively cheap on ebay. Having never played any form of Battletech mini's, is it worth while? Is that clix version that bad?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Spy posted:

So I see I can get a huge amount of those wizkids Mechwarrior figures for relatively cheap on ebay. Having never played any form of Battletech mini's, is it worth while? Is that clix version that bad?
Not so worth it for *that* game, but it will work fine for regular Battletech using them.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

*that* game,

:dukedog:
Blow it out your rear end.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Does anyone know when the new intro box set might come out? The previous one is sold out everywhere and there are no clear updates anywhere I've looked.

I remember playing this game so much when I was in 6th grade, about 12 years ago. Such a good game--a four player two-mech-each game could take only 45 minutes once we knew the rules and had figured out our strategies, and we played pretty much every day.

Well, I suppose MegaMek is there, at least. One of the guys I used to play with back then plays it now; I should look him up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

7thBatallion posted:

:dukedog:
Blow it out your rear end.
Clix are poo poo dude, the system is inherently boring. Move along now.

Apollodorus posted:

Does anyone know when the new intro box set might come out? The previous one is sold out everywhere and there are no clear updates anywhere I've looked.
"Soon" according to the web site. It's at least on the final printing stage.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

Clix saved Battletech from death. You owe WizKids everything. Except your money, you owe Catalyst and Games Workshop that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Having played classic and clix, I don't think that Dark Ages was that odious. I mean sure it was simplified, but it was nice to have a game that only required a handful of plastic minis and a die. It was something that you could really play anywhere, anytime, with people of varying levels of gaming experience. It was just quick, dirty, and fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just could never get into it, having played MageKnight before I ever tried it. The fact that I had plenty of Battletech stuff to work with and the really great local community for it meant that we never really needed to even look at clickytech unless we wanted to. It works well for 15mil scale Battletech though, and we have a lot of WWII city terrain around to use for cityfights.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Clix and the novels are what got me interested in Battletech at all. Some people don't like playing boardgames as intricate as the "real thing" and there's nothing wrong with that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
And for those people we have Battleforce.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know poo poo about the Battletech Clix, but I had poo poo-loads of fun playing HeroClix for a bit. I'm just pissed they never released a figure for Secret. I wanted to run a Young Justice team, dammit!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PeterWeller posted:

I don't know poo poo about the Battletech Clix, but I had poo poo-loads of fun playing HeroClix for a bit. I'm just pissed they never released a figure for Secret. I wanted to run a Young Justice team, dammit!
They're basically the same system, with Battletech having an extra dial on the mechs. It was kind of a blatant reskin with very little thought put into the how things were supposed to be different to every other game Whizkids made at the time. I'm pretty happy to have gotten out early, before the insanity with artillery turned up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

7thBatallion posted:

Clix saved Battletech from death. You owe WizKids everything. Except your money, you owe Catalyst and Games Workshop that.

I don't know if clix saved it, since FanPro sublicensed the line almost immediately. WK certainly did, and Weissman, yeah. OTOH BT is what made Weissman, Weissman used that capital for WK, WK saved BT, so really... BT saved ITSELF!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, it's like some horrible Star Trek time travel episode. :psyduck:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Bieeardo posted:

Oh god, it's like some horrible Star Trek time travel episode. :psyduck:

Suck it causality!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan Weissman borrowed $5000 off his grandmother to help start FASA.

Jordan Weissman is his own grandmother :psyduck:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

And his own sister, wife, father, cousin, uncle, brother, and neighbor.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh god i just realized that battletech literally was developed in his grandma's basement :psyboom:

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009
Would you actually expect this not to be made in basement?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

7thBatallion posted:

Already sent HG an email about it a week ago. I will ruin that man.

:tviv: The guy that I contacted at Harmony Gold? Same guy I talked to last time. I think I owe him drinks now.
Lookie here......

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

Lookie here......

Aww, I was hoping, but after all that nothing. :(

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
painting up some otomo for an upcoming Luthien campaign

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Are there any sculpts of the Mad Dog / Vulture Mk II, I.E The MW4 styled one with the chin turret? I know it was pseudo-official after it got stuck with a name, I just thought a miniature of one would look pretty snazzy. It'd also be a neat way to show one rebuild with ER PPC, because those modular arms suit it. You could make it using some Timberwolf arms, I suppose.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shockeh posted:

Are there any sculpts of the Mad Dog / Vulture Mk II, I.E The MW4 styled one with the chin turret? I know it was pseudo-official after it got stuck with a name, I just thought a miniature of one would look pretty snazzy. It'd also be a neat way to show one rebuild with ER PPC, because those modular arms suit it. You could make it using some Timberwolf arms, I suppose.

Technically, yes. The downside is it's in N scale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Latonya-Lyons-Vulture-MechWarrior-Falcons-Prey-Figure-/330526469416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4e9ad28

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I seem to remember this guy on the BT forums who's thing was making BT-scale kitbashes of the MW4 mechs, with varying levels of success.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

Omnimech arms are actually interchangable if you use the older models. It works out pretty well actually.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009
Does anybody know where I can order models online? I really am not comfortable with ebay; so I was hoping one of you fellows have a good source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ironwind metals if you're in the US, Ral Partha UK if you're not.

• Locked thread