Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tempest_56 posted:

By my math, you have three positioning options.
1) Stay where you are. 0 movement mod for you. Range 9. You shoot on a 10. He shoots on a 6. (However, you are in partial cover and so somewhat protected.)
2) Jump to 0907. 3 movement mod. Range 5. You shoot on a 11. He shoots on a 6.
3) Run to either 0707 or 0807. 2 movement mod. Range 6. You shoot on a 12. He shoots on a 7.

If you're gonna shoot, stay put and fire. But you've got about a 16% chance to hit, and he's got around 72%.

For the love of god, don't do this. Literally the most likely outcome is he punches a large laser into you, you miss him completely and nothing is accomplished, because your lancemates will be out of position.

You need to draw him forward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Agent Interrobang posted:

I sowwwwwwwwy. :ohdear:

Maybe you stick to Inner Sphere mechs, I do Clan ones? Honestly I think your Alshain writeup was way funnier than my gag. I think the idea of having a pair of FWL reps arguing about the specs of the Hermes II might be a good shtick!

Yeah, Clan ones don't really fit in to my thing anyway. Also I picture them as the Coke commercial from The Invention of Lying ("Coke. It's very famous.")

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

For the love of god, don't do this. Literally the most likely outcome is he punches a large laser into you, you miss him completely and nothing is accomplished, because your lancemates will be out of position.

I am highly skeptical that the Hussar will willingly walk into an ambush. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Hussar happily ignores the trap and moves around to a different firing angle. I think the best chance at getting him would be to spread out over a large area and pin him in. A single large laser isn't that dangerous, even in the hands of a skilled gunner.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, even taking partial cover into account this is lovely odds of hitting him for piss easy shots back. The expected damage is very very not in your favour.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yes, exactly. Engaging the Hussar this turn is a really bad idea at best. I was just demonstrating the best possible options. None of which are actually good.

KnoxZone posted:

I am highly skeptical that the Hussar will willingly walk into an ambush. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Hussar happily ignores the trap and moves around to a different firing angle. I think the best chance at getting him would be to spread out over a large area and pin him in. A single large laser isn't that dangerous, even in the hands of a skilled gunner.

Except that the single large laser IS a threat. And bluntly? It's already pinned in. If the Hussar wants to engage there's nowhere to go but towards the lights. Thanks to the hill and the forest, there isn't another good firing angle. And even with 2 gun, shooting through several light woods into partial cover isn't a good idea.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm going to fire on it to keep the focus off the lights while they withdraw, the vulcan will still be in a fire arc no matter what it does, it is the most vulnerable, after it goes to cover i'll jump back and draw it in.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
So I'm doing this massive decomposition of a database so that I can represent and analyze its topology. It's been running four two days, using 2.5GB of RAM and a massive computer, and I'm looking at it and looking at it and I keep thinking, "Why does this look so familiar?"

Oh, because it's the Inner Sphere.

I'm totally going to say, "Out in the periphery" during the presentation and see if there's a single BT guy in the audience.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm kind of curious...Does anybody know what the piloting stats of some of the major FCs are?

Just for context I'm trying to find what the stats are for, like Victor Steiner, Kai Allard-Lao, Natasha Kerensky, and all of thems are. I can't find any reference to their actual stats in any of the books though.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gothsheep posted:

I'm kind of curious...Does anybody know what the piloting stats of some of the major FCs are?

Just for context I'm trying to find what the stats are for, like Victor Steiner, Kai Allard-Lao, Natasha Kerensky, and all of thems are. I can't find any reference to their actual stats in any of the books though.

You want scenario books where the major figures appear. The Great Refusal scenario has stats for KAL and VSD. Off the top of my head, I think 0/0 and 3/3 respectively. Phelan was, I think, a 1/2.

E: For some reason I have always used G/P instead of P/G. It never occurred to me this is the 'wrong' way until this thread. Huh.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 31, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I'm going to fire on it to keep the focus off the lights while they withdraw, the vulcan will still be in a fire arc no matter what it does, it is the most vulnerable, after it goes to cover i'll jump back and draw it in.

Nooooooo!

He can jump to 1013, and he will be totally protected by the hill in front of him.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

The Merry Marauder posted:

You want scenario books where the major figures appear. The Great Refusal scenario has stats for KAL and VSD. Off the top of my head, I think 0/0 and 3/3 respectively. Phelan was, I think, a 1/2.

VSD is a 4/2

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

You can find them piecemeal, mostly in older sourcebooks. They vary pretty wildly depending on the timeframe. In Tales of the Black Widow and 4th Succession War Atlas, Natasha Kerensky is listed as being a 4/3 pilot. In More Tales of the Black Widow and The Falcon and The Wolf, she was 0/0.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Xmas Future posted:

VSD is a 4/2

Fair enough, it's been ten years. I do remember (from Luthien) that Jaime Wolf and Morgan Kell were ~3/3 but had an odd special ability (quite apart from phantoming) that let them do something like shoot as if the range to target was halved.

It occurs to me now that the Great Refusal is a scenario than comes with MegaMek, so anyone could just boot that up and look at quite a few notables.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Thinking about Victor got me thinking about Prometheus. Which led to me thinking about clan omnimechs in general. The most well-known omnimechs are the ones used primarily by the primary invading clans (Wolves, Falcons, Bears, Cats, and Jaguars). These clans aren't going to be much of a presence this time. Which leads me to my question to someone who knows more about the other clans:

What are some notable mechs we can expect to see fielded by Steel Vipers, Hell's Horses, and Goliath Scorpions? I assume the Widowmakers will probably end up fielding mechs similar to the ones the Wolves ended up developing.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

Thinking about Victor got me thinking about Prometheus. Which led to me thinking about clan omnimechs in general. The most well-known omnimechs are the ones used primarily by the primary invading clans (Wolves, Falcons, Bears, Cats, and Jaguars). These clans aren't going to be much of a presence this time. Which leads me to my question to someone who knows more about the other clans:

What are some notable mechs we can expect to see fielded by Steel Vipers, Hell's Horses, and Goliath Scorpions? I assume the Widowmakers will probably end up fielding mechs similar to the ones the Wolves ended up developing.

Hell's Horses will probably hit us with lots of tanks and armor. The Goliath Scorpions really, really like <REDACTED>. Steel Vipers should be a fairly normal mix; iirc they like medium mechs with some heavies, though I could be wrong. Their totem mech is a 4/6 100-tonner, so who knows?

Basically, we're not going to be facing your daddy's Clans.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ The Steel Viper totem 'Mech is actually a 40 ton medium 'Mech called the Battle Cobra.

Gothsheep posted:

Adam Steiner: g2 p2
Aiden Pryde: g0 p0
Anastasius Focht: g1 p2
The Bounty Hunter: g0 p0
Dan Allard: g2 p3
Grayson Death Carlyle: g1 p1
Hohiro Kurita: g2 p3
Jamie Wolf: g0 p0
Jeremiah "I cheat and everyone still thinks I'm awesome, gently caress you" Rose: g1 p2
Kai Allard-Liao: g0 p0
Loren Jaffray: g4 p5
Marthe Pryde: g1 p2
Morgan Kell: g0 p0
Natasha Kerensky: g0 p0
Nicolai Malthus: g1 p2
Phelan Kell: g1 p1
Shin Yodama: g1 p1
Takashi Kurita: g4 p4
Theodore Kurita: g4 p4
Victor Steiner-Davion: g2 p4
Vlad Ward: g1 p2

Hanse Davion, Maximillian Liao, and quite a few others never got listed stats. An out-of-practice 'Mechwarrior (like Takashi Kurita) will generally revert to a 4/4 4/5 or so (4/5 is an 'average' pilot). Hanse Davion is most likely g2 p3

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Get your orders in people I want to see how the next combat phase ends up.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ The Steel Viper totem 'Mech is actually a 40 ton medium 'Mech called the Battle Cobra.

Adam Steiner: g2 p2
Aiden Pryde: g0 p0
Anastasius Focht: g1 p2
The Bounty Hunter: g0 p0
Dan Allard: g2 p3
Grayson Death Carlyle: g1 p1
Hohiro Kurita: g2 p3
Jamie Wolf: g0 p0
Jeremiah "I cheat and everyone still thinks I'm awesome, gently caress you" Rose: g1 p2
Kai Allard-Liao: g0 p0
Loren Jaffray: g4 p5
Marthe Pryde: g1 p2
Morgan Kell: g0 p0
Natasha Kerensky: g0 p0
Nicolai Malthus: g1 p2
Phelan Kell: g1 p1
Shin Yodama: g1 p1
Takashi Kurita: g4 p4
Theodore Kurita: g4 p4
Victor Steiner-Davion: g2 p4
Vlad Ward: g1 p2

Hanse Davion, Maximillian Liao, and quite a few others never got listed stats. An out-of-practice 'Mechwarrior (like Takashi Kurita) will generally revert to a 4/4 4/5 or so (4/5 is an 'average' pilot). Hanse Davion is most likely g2 p3

Geeze, that's a lot more 0/0s than I was expecting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gothsheep posted:

Geeze, that's a lot more 0/0s than I was expecting.

It's like playing a game of 'spot the Mary Sue / mentor character!'

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good news! We are both correct. But I am only correct after the Clan invasion. :downsrim:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

The terrible truth is just that I have a degree in political science and can't shut up about this kind of thing.

This explains everything (regarding my previous objection to your posting style).

That list you posted PTN makes me wonder what they used as a dividing line between 0 and 1. And yes, 0/0s are surprisingly common.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

That list you posted PTN makes me wonder what they used as a dividing line between 0 and 1. And yes, 0/0s are surprisingly common.

Bah. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 who actually deserve the 0/0 rank. Kai Allard-Lao (Because someone's got to be that guy) Natasha Kerensky, and The Bounty Hunter.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Surprised Aiden Pryde got the 0/0 designation. He was always seen as a really good mechwarrior, but I didn't think he was superior to Marthe, who is a 1/2. At least not until Tukayyid, I suppose.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Good news! We are both correct. But I am only correct after the Clan invasion. :downsrim:

I also consider the Naga and Crossbow to be Steel Viper totem 'Mechs (the Naga, because someone has to be responsible for it; and the Steel Vipers LOVE overspecialization; and the Naga is like, the Patron Saint of overspecialization. :/ )

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

Surprised Aiden Pryde got the 0/0 designation. He was always seen as a really good mechwarrior, but I didn't think he was superior to Marthe, who is a 1/2. At least not until Tukayyid, I suppose.

I dunno. Aiden's Trial of Refusal is one of the fights in the novels I give the most props for. He was kind of a goofball otherwise until Tukayyid, though, and I guess Joanna gets half the credit for that Trial. Also, Justin Xiang should be higher rated than K A-L, because Kai makes reference to the fact that his dad can smoke him in his family mech 'sims. And because Justin is cooler. :colbert:

quote:

I also consider the Naga and Crossbow to be Steel Viper totem 'Mechs (the Naga, because someone has to be responsible for it; and the Steel Vipers LOVE overspecialization; and the Naga is like, the Patron Saint of overspecialization. :/ )

Well... the crossbow's an OK fire support mech if it has a close range guard, and the naga... is... a naga. I guess. I mean... sure? Why wouldn't you just mount the damned Arrow IVs on a tracked artillery platform? Seriously? Why wouldn't you do that instead? And it's not even something you can take out, no, because neither Arrow IV is part of an Omnipod. :saddowns:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

I dunno. Aiden's Trial of Refusal is one of the fights in the novels I give the most props for. He was kind of a goofball otherwise until Tukayyid, though, and I guess Joanna gets half the credit for that Trial.

I forgot all about the Trial of Refusal. Him and Joanna absolutely wrecked poo poo in that fight. Still, he totally failed his pilot check in the final trial for his Bloodname. What kind of 0 skill pilot does that :colbert:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Why wouldn't you just mount the damned Arrow IVs on a tracked artillery platform? Seriously? Why wouldn't you do that instead? And it's not even something you can take out, no, because neither Arrow IV is part of an Omnipod. :saddowns:

At least the Naga has the distinction of not looking really silly unlike some other dedicated fire support mechs like oh say, the Yeoman.

Hey guys I got a great idea, lets take the concept of the Catapult, slap on even more missiles, leave it with no close-range weaponry whatsoever, and make it look ridiculous to boot! :downs:

And this is from the same people who produced the Wraith, which is a mech that is apparently somewhat amazing. So how they went from that to the Yeoman is a mystery.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2011

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was so disappointed when I found out about the Battle Cobra. I was expecting a colossal mechanical snake, crushing trees beneath its armoured belly as it slithered through forests, then rearing up to provide an elevated gun platform for the weapons mounted in its head...

Instead it's just a bog standard 'Mech that's vaguely shaped like a cobra's hood.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Angry_Ed posted:

At least the Naga has the distinction of not looking really silly unlike some other dedicated fire support mechs like oh say, the Yeoman.

Hey guys I got a great idea, lets take the concept of the Catapult, slap on even more missiles, leave it with no close-range weaponry whatsoever, and make it look ridiculous to boot! :downs:

And this is from the same people who produced the Wraith, which is a mech that is apparently somewhat amazing. So how they went from that to the Yeoman is a mystery.

Truth be told if something can survive a barrage of that many missiles it probably deserves to live.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Mukaikubo posted:

Hell's Horses will probably hit us with lots of tanks and armor. The Goliath Scorpions really, really like <REDACTED>. Steel Vipers should be a fairly normal mix; iirc they like medium mechs with some heavies, though I could be wrong. Their totem mech is a 4/6 100-tonner, so who knows?

Basically, we're not going to be facing your daddy's Clans.

HH also invented <REDACTED> so they are fond of them too. Their current Khan may even pilot one, not sure about PTNs timeline.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey, give the Yeoman some credit. It knows what it wants to be. It's two legs, a cockpit, and a million billion missiles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaodai posted:

This explains everything (regarding my previous objection to your posting style).

I double-majored! I'm not ruined for ever! :(

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I don't get why the designs that take the same thing, remove some ammo and staple on two pulse lasers or something are better. 90% of the time the pulse lasers aren't going to do poo poo, and the remaining 10% of the time you should be running away.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
<REDACTED> loving owns.

I am really curious to how alternate history will handle them.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Holy check, I’m not the only fan of the Sharks out there!:3:
For every rule that the Clans have, the Sharks are often enough the walking, talking exceptions to it. I enjoy seeing the traditional spit-and-polish Clans like the Falcons having the piss taken out of them by guys who recognize that most Clan trappings are impractical bullshit and appropriately give the barest minimum of fucks.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yup! The Diamond Sharks preserved several sea fox specimens in captivity, and through a long, slow, and troubled breeding program, reintroduced them to the seas of Strana Mechty in 3100, which is when they changed their name back. I think the Snow Ravens got pissy about THAT, too.
That's close, but not quite right. All of the Clans that are in the Inner Sphere by the time of the Dark Age got kicked out of the Clan homeworlds during the Jihad. The exact reasons for that and what happened to the Clans that remained there have only been hinted at, though it looks like a sourcebook on it will be coming out soon. They changed their name back to Sea Fox for marketing purposes because even though the Sharks only briefly showed up to get punched in the balls on Tukayyid, Inner Sphere folks associate them with the invasion and think the only Clan willing to sell Clan tech is mean and out to conquer them.:downs:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Oh, Battletech canon. May you always be as confusing and mislabeled as possible. :allears:

Also hey, yet another reason the Dark Age loving blows.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fun fact: back before they set a limit at 0/0, Morgan Kell was -1/-2.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
With who knows how many pages of material printed across hundreds of novels and sourcebooks, it's absurdly easy to get something wrong. I've seen guys on the official forums ask for where some detail everyone treated as fact was printed, only to have nobody know where it came from or even where to look. :psyduck:

Catalyst did a Very Good Thing by recruiting a team of the finest high-functioning spergs in the community to handle fact checking.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hanse Davion is most likely g2 p3
He took on an entire company of Comguards by himself. The man's in negative numbers and *probably* has some initiative bonuses out the wazoo due to his magic bunny slippers that he wears in combat.

Aidan Pryde, while awesome, I would have to rate as a 0/0 pilot simply because I've seen the stats of the rest of the Jade Falcon Galaxy for Tukayid.....

For those interested, there are exactly two pilots listed as "Regular" instead of "Elite" or "Veteran", and two [REDACTED] of [REDACTED] are also "Regular" in the entire Jade Falcon Guards cluster. Then there's the other rules in effect from AToW which result in him, at worst, giving no bonus to the unit. It's... interesting.

Natasha Kerensky is still a pure monster though, she just gives no gently caress about your special rules, you don't have them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
How about this, I run into 1203 and punch shoot and kick (just shoot and kick) the hussar. How's that sit with folks? Any glaring issues with the plan?

• Locked thread