Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tonight on Discovery:

Hogs Gone Wild. "Hogs rampage through a gated community in Tampa and threaten a large heard(sic) of cattle in Texas."

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This gold rush show is unbelievable. I was first amazed by the old guy's behavior, but he's nowhere near the worst. The young guy with the wife, I think it's Dorsey, behaves like a 5 year old.

XK fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 24, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

muscles like this? posted:

Supersized Rocket Car, the one where they're redoing the rocket car from the pilot episode. Unfortunately when they were doing the actual run where they were launching the car the rockets exploded.
Supposedly it wasn't the rockets but a bunch of gasoline tanks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So is this Masters of Survival just a clip show of the survival shows?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I missed the first season of Gold Rush. How in the hell did these retards secure $250,000 in loans for a gold digging expedition? These people are absolutely insane. You've got some crazy old coot who wont stop digging holes EVERYWHERE. You've got an engineer who broke his back two or three times in the past, and he's up there living in a tiny camper taking morphine of all things. They keep showing all the other guys wandering around camp with military (clone?) weapons. I somehow doubt an AR15 is going to stop a bear, it's just going to piss it off. It's just bizarre. The whole show is just hosed.

They had an entire episode of some guy trying to set up a wave table to sift the gold out. The guy said he read the book twice, couldn't figure it out. It looked like they spent 3 or more days letting this guy try and get it working. No one else read the book, nor did it appear they used their cell to call the manufacturer for some help. Holy poo poo.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 30, 2011

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Philthy posted:

I missed the first season of Gold Rush. How in the hell did these retards secure $250,000 in loans for a gold digging expedition? These people are absolutely insane. You've got some crazy old coot who wont stop digging holes EVERYWHERE. You've got an engineer who broke his back two or three times in the past, and he's up there living in a tiny camper taking morphine of all things. They keep showing all the other guys wandering around camp with military (clone?) weapons. I somehow doubt an AR15 is going to stop a bear, it's just going to piss it off. It's just bizarre. The whole show is just hosed.

They had an entire episode of some guy trying to set up a wave table to sift the gold out. The guy said he read the book twice, couldn't figure it out. It looked like they spent 3 or more days letting this guy try and get it working. No one else read the book, nor did it appear they used their cell to call the manufacturer for some help. Holy poo poo.

This week, the guy who owned the property came by with some experienced miners and basically said "WTF you guys are morans," and said that their 3 month effort yielded about half a day's work worth of gold. They have 40 days left, are out of cash, and got a consultant in to tell them their poo poo is all retarded, so they rebuilt their entire gold sifting operation.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just caught that. Holy poo poo. "You can't come up here and just take over. No one is going to like that." He's pointing out how everything is not right, and they're literally screaming "SHUT UP!" at the guy. Unbelievable. They are all scared and upset the guy is there, yet he knows how to get their operation working, he knows how to set the machines up, he has done it all before and gotten rich. But none of those guys are having any of it.

This show is amazing in the fact that these people are an example what not to do to ever follow your dreams.

Their split went from 20/80 to 40/60 because of it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 30, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How many times have those idiots rebuilt their rig? Don't they know how to Google anything? If they would have thrown $50k at an expert they could have shown up with a decent rig and been mining serious gold in a month or two.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ok, I just ran through the whole Gold Rush thing in one DVR marathon Sunday.

I...just...:psyboom:

Why do they each need a camper? Why did they bring their families? Why did they build loving mansions on the claim for their families?(I realize being away for so long is tough, but we have a billion types of long distance communication devices nowadays, and they can see their families again in three months when they are a rich gold miners.)

They're drinking unfiltered beaver poo poo water, Jack still thinks it's 1890, Dorsey...exists. It's insanity. And the best part is the entire show is against them: in the editing, in the narration, in everything. Normally Discovery channel "reality" shows like to amp up the drama, sure, but they actively hate these guys. The announcer practically spits whenever he's says "the Realtor Dorsey". And Dakota Fred pretty much has a halo around his head. (Dakota Fred is awesome though.)

And the best part is, even if they get everything else running and find Earl's Glory Hole (:mmmhmm:), they'll still have to pan buckets full of soil because Jack won't use no new-fangled technology if it wasn't around when he rode with Custer. The wave table company has even issued a response to their gently caress-ups.

My favorite part:

quote:

3. The wave table does not make gold, it recovers gold. They’ve done no proper sampling (or assaying) or processing of material with known gold. It’s like Jack threw down his hat and decided to dig there. From the onset, their desperation (and script acting) caused mistake after mistake. No professional miner would work this way. There’s definitely gold on this property, but 30 buckets of cons and only 2½ oz of gold total! Wrong area to work……there was hardly enough gold to show up on the table.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well I've watched the first two episodes of Gold Rush and I've got to say it's a small miracle no one is dead yet. Between how they handle equipment, how they handle mining, how they handle weapons, and how they handle the environment these guys are doomed. The series should end with a simple text title card reading: "This series was constructed using footage found 120 miles downstream from the campsite. To this day no one knows what happened to the would-be miners."

It's obvious how it all went wrong: big talk and no understanding. It's a bad sign when they're treating the expedition as a pleasure trip rather than a grueling, dangerous job. OTOH it's probably a good thing that they don't have anyone who knows what they're doing on site; that guy would kill the rest of them within a week and make it look like a hunting accident.

I'm hoping they get trichinosis from eating undercooked bear meat.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the last episode is when the excavator was about to fall into the hole and kill Jack, and the narrator just says "No one is around to save him", then Greg magically shows up. Even the camera crew want these guys to die.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Oh my god. I haven't been watching Gold Rush, but I had to check it out because of some of the comments I've read online about it and all I can say is holy poo poo.

These guys are loving idiots.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I'm surprised Gold Rush didn't get the goon following of Whale Wars, or did Gold Rush reach a level of retardation that even Capt'n Lardass would put Dorsey and that old man under the falling excavator?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Radio Nowhere posted:

I'm surprised Gold Rush didn't get the goon following of Whale Wars, or did Gold Rush reach a level of retardation that even Capt'n Lardass would put Dorsey and that old man under the falling excavator?

I am actively rooting for the team to fail, although I do feel bad for their kids and the sister who just gave Todd 20 grand to continue to play miner in the wilderness. I know I wouldn't give my life savings to a failure of a brother like him, and I would hope that they get their money back because they're mostly innocent in all of this, but otherwise, there's really no reason to want any of these idiots to succeed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My family owns a few gold claims in Alaska, and we were contacted by the producers offering to buy one of our claims for the show. We also know the guy who owns that particular claim. If anyone wants specifics about how loving retarded these retards are, I can answer your questions. I could only watch about five minutes of the show it was so painful, but my step dad (the owner of the claims) watches it all the time just for the humor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigHead posted:

My family owns a few gold claims in Alaska, and we were contacted by the producers offering to buy one of our claims for the show. We also know the guy who owns that particular claim. If anyone wants specifics about how loving retarded these retards are, I can answer your questions. I could only watch about five minutes of the show it was so painful, but my step dad (the owner of the claims) watches it all the time just for the humor.

Why don't large industrial operations come through and tear all the gold out? The people on the show look like they want to treat mining like going "camping" in a $300k luxury RV, whereas I imagine real mining would be like Bear Grylls' version of camping in this analogy. Do you think the show is promoting the idea of gold mining as a tourist destination?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so did the TV show people potentially buy the claim for these people? I do wonder how much money they're getting for the show, ie, does it really matter if they don't find gold if they're all getting money for appearing regardless?

And do they really use the term glory hole, because that seems like something the producers told them it was called just so they could say glory hole 20 times an episode.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
First I should clarify that I have little to do with our gold claims, it's the step dad's and step siblings' operation more than mine.

Palleon posted:

Wait, so did the TV show people potentially buy the claim for these people? I do wonder how much money they're getting for the show, ie, does it really matter if they don't find gold if they're all getting money for appearing regardless?

And do they really use the term glory hole, because that seems like something the producers told them it was called just so they could say glory hole 20 times an episode.

I think they rented the claim.

FogHelmut posted:

Why don't large industrial operations come through and tear all the gold out? The people on the show look like they want to treat mining like going "camping" in a $300k luxury RV, whereas I imagine real mining would be like Bear Grylls' version of camping in this analogy. Do you think the show is promoting the idea of gold mining as a tourist destination?

It's super super super expensive to get equipment anywhere that isn't on the road system. I think it would take like $2mil and 2 years to move a single large shovel to one of our locations. We would have had to barge it up from Vancouver or Seattle, then barge it up several rivers, then wait for the ground to freeze, then drive however long it needs to be driven. The most effective way - using a big rear end helicopter - can only bring it tiny backhoes and the occasional other small piece of equipment. Remember Alaska is the size of several Texases, with way fewer miles of road than Rhode Island.

These idiots specifically looked for a claim on the road system so they could truck everything up cheaply and quickly. And if it's on the road system chances are it's been looked at and rejected by the big companies, or already picked over by the owners.

We only use our claims for tourism or camping in the summer, or for hunting in the autumn/spring. During the summer, tourists will pay good money to go camping for a week and poke around the dirt with metal detectors trying to find a gold nugget.

The big mining operations wouldn't make enough money. It's not like there's a bazillion dollars worth of gold in the ground, it's usually just a few flakes in a river bed or a few nuggets scattered around a large area. I don't know how this show ends, but I highly doubt these guy will make anywhere near enough money to recoup any of their expenditures.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 1, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Dorsey has a blog. Read it. He responds to a lot of the comments and questions.

Latest post:

quote:

I got an interesting phone call today. A man called me about his mill he saw on our program that was unauthorized to cut lumber for private parties. He called to ask me about what I knew about the use of the band saw as his company is the owner of that entire lumber mill and truck that delivered all of the trees that someone cut down on Ray Kreig’s and State land that built Greg’s house? What???

When we reached the mine in early May there was fresh trees that were cut down by a man who had supposedly attained permission from Earle Foster. But they were laying all over where we were to set up our camp and mining operation. It was the US Forest service inspector that came to investigate the illegally cut trees on state land that brought the State Fish and Game biologist who eventually turned us in for illegally digging the water channel. Man, what a mess all of this was!

I received permission to drive the logging truck as help to Greg (my cabin/tent had been finished for a week before he even started his custom home.) Now I was legal to drive the truck as I have my Alaskan Class A CDL with double and triple endorsements. So being LEGAL I thought it just seemed right that I would be the one to drive the logs out. I realized that something was wrong when the man commissioned by Earle said those were his logs. Greg and I had a falling out as he was trying to tell me how to back a truck he didn’t own through willow trees to get the “alleged stolen” logs (HE DOES NOT HAVE A CDL and had never been to truck driving school) SO I said F it. The logs were questionable and the truck is questionable as to the legality of insurance. Little did I know not only was the truck not the mill owners the mill itself was not the “mill owners.” And maybe Ray Krieg never found out that some of his trees were cut down. I would hope if I were the parties involved that he never found out as he is a attorney in Anchorage.

Ok, so let me get this straight for all of you Gold Rush Fans. Greg built his house from stolen logs (which later he ended up purchasing from the logger), hauled them without a License, drove a dump truck with logs which is illegal even if you had a license, made a deal with a mill owner who had a mill that was not authorized for personal use and then hauled the lumber back to Porcupine to build a house on private property that he did not own for a family that spent a total of four weeks in the place.

I wish that people would understand that not doing things correctly causes more problems than it avoids. Yes, this is coming from Dorsey who is a Oregon State Licensed Principal Broker, Class A CDL holder with ALL ENDORSEMENTS, Concealed Handgun Permit Holder, MSHA approved miner, fully certified and insured snowboard and kiteboard instructor, ETC. ETC. ETC. I pay thousands a year to keep up with all of this crap and I keep going deeper. Right now I am working on jumping through all of the hoops to start my own mining operation which seems to take an act of congress. I am taking classes and purchasing magazines for explosives to acquire my ATF blasting license. The list is endless. Call me hazardous if you want but at the end of the day I would have taken out a permit to legally poop on the Hoffman’s operation… after all who built the outhouse?

annnnnnnd...

quote:

The 72 hour deadline was about 3-4 weeks of filming. It dragged on for weeks. This was a plot for an episode that was made up by the screenwriters and producers that really didn’t sit well with Todd Hoffman. He was not interested at all in playing along with story lines that were developed by the production team.

Lots more..

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 4, 2011

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Philthy posted:

Wow, Dorsey has a blog. Read it. He responds to a lot of the comments and questions.

That is really interesting, and makes a lot of sense. I know Discovery has to create drama to keep people watching, but it sounds like no level is too low for them to go. Calling a month 72 hours for the sake of drama is pretty bad.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

That was a great read. Had to laugh at the opening credits that just came on...they pasted the carpenter into Dorsey's spot in the character lineup.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So anyone want to guess how much gold the Gold Rush Alaska team actually finds by the end of the series?

I'm going to say that they walk out with about $38,000 in gold. And that's assuming that they keep the gold coming at their current rate.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Next season, screw these idiots and just follow Dakota Fred around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Universe Master posted:

Next season, screw these idiots and just follow Dakota Fred around.

While Dakota Fred is awesome he should get a spin off instead where he goes around knocking sense into incompetent amateur miners.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Radio Nowhere posted:

I watched an episode tonight, and their failure, while consistant and palpable, didn't really come close to the level of the symphony of failure that is Whale Wars. I mean, those guys, while dumbasses, are mostly only risking bankruptcy. Captain Dumbass routinely risks people's lives on harebrained schemes that NEVER work, his people are completely reckless, and they never achieve anything. At least these gold dudes managed to find a fleck of gold about a millimeter wide in what I watched. That's probably better than Captain Dumbass can claim and he didn't nearly cause a rusty tub full of hippies to die.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So if they made about 7000 dollars worth in gold in 3 days, they have to give a 20% share up to the claim owner, and there's 8 of them splitting the gold, that comes out to about a 30 dollar an hour job if they were working 8 hours a day, which maybe is good money for these hillbillies, but there would be a lot less risk and a lot more money involved if they just, I don't know, got real jobs.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dorsey's blog reads like he is severely bipolar. I think it's wonderful he wants to handle explosives now. Maybe he'll find a way to combine that with his principal brokering and kiteboarding.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I like how Dakota Fred just about doubled the amount of material they processed in an attempt to actually get them some goddamn money, and all they can do is bitch. And the minor problems the upgrade caused were pretty much entirely because it seems only one or two people are actually working at any particular time.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Palleon posted:

So if they made about 7000 dollars worth in gold in 3 days, they have to give a 20% share up to the claim owner, and there's 8 of them splitting the gold, that comes out to about a 30 dollar an hour job if they were working 8 hours a day, which maybe is good money for these hillbillies, but there would be a lot less risk and a lot more money involved if they just, I don't know, got real jobs.

I thought that they didn't get actually get paid until all the debts were covered. Even if they did, They made approximately 10k over 4 months. 2k went to the owner, leaving 1k each, assuming the split isn't based upon initial outlay. They made an average wage of $1 an hour given a 40 hour week.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ThinkFear posted:

I thought that they didn't get actually get paid until all the debts were covered. Even if they did, They made approximately 10k over 4 months. 2k went to the owner, leaving 1k each, assuming the split isn't based upon initial outlay. They made an average wage of $1 an hour given a 40 hour week.

Yeah I was just making up my numbers assuming what they're doing now would actually be about average performance if it was maintained, you're right in that since it took so long, they're going to come away with practically nothing, but assuming they were running like this the whole time, at most they could each expect to come away with 20-30 grand before you even consider debts and how many people are actually there (a bunch of minor people keep popping up and I don't know how the shares are calculated), but it seems like everyone involved would have been better off working at Wal-Mart for the Fall.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Palleon posted:

Yeah I was just making up my numbers assuming what they're doing now would actually be about average performance if it was maintained, you're right in that since it took so long, they're going to come away with practically nothing, but assuming they were running like this the whole time, at most they could each expect to come away with 20-30 grand before you even consider debts and how many people are actually there (a bunch of minor people keep popping up and I don't know how the shares are calculated), but it seems like everyone involved would have been better off working at Wal-Mart for the Fall.

Well, if they hadn't hosed everything up from the get-go this would have only been the initial gold-mining season, and they could have left most of the tools and equipment on site and stored properly, paid off their initial investments and re-upped the contract with an eager Earl, and would have had enough money to get by on wintering in Oregon until the next mining season when they could really go for it without the start-up costs and with tons of experience at mining.

But yeah, it's going to be dammed difficult to anything close to that after months of dicking around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the "Idiom" episode of Mythbusters with the poo poo polishing myth and the dude they bring in to teach them the Japanese dirt ball stuff is goony as gently caress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Universe Master posted:

Well, if they hadn't hosed everything up from the get-go this would have only been the initial gold-mining season...

Well according to Dorsey they are in negotiations for a second season. I predict they will just leave the equipment out there, they can't afford to move it back.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like Out of the Wild is back next week, but instead of Alaska it'll be Venezuela this third season. Looks like the season will resemble season 2's, where the group will have set locations they have to hike to and camp, before eventually moving on to the next.

http://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/out-wild-venezuela/

I have to think the warmer climate will get them more active, but I'm not sure that'll make for a more interesting show.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can't wait for some Bear Grylls

:nms:

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2011/02/bear-grylls-makes-a-wetsuit-from-nature

:nms:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Latest Gold Rush Alaska was amusing.

"We got $2 worth of gold out of a $5 bucket."

*guy starts throwing buckets all over pissed*

"We need a plan. It's like Jack is just driving around randomly digging holes everywhere!"

NO poo poo?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

As much as I love dirty jobs I was starting to lose interest, but I gotta say this current season has brought the magic back.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 16, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

i hope you guys didn't miss the new episode of Pitchmen that was on tonight. For some reason it aired from 7pm-8pm and my DVR said it was new.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

lordblytzkrieg posted:

i hope you guys didn't miss the new episode of Pitchmen that was on tonight. For some reason it aired from 7pm-8pm and my DVR said it was new.

After Billy Mays died, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Anyone else catch the premiere of the new season of Out of the Wild last night? Seems to be going like last season, even with the warmer climate there's still the danger of hypothermia, so I guess not much changed. I'm interested to see them get to a point where they'll have to start hunting.

Also wondering if the park ranger got sick from the untreated water. Seems like that might be the case, but then the others may have been drinking that water too and we just didn't see them fill their bottles. She could have gotten the bad stuff in hers though while they were fine.

• Locked thread