Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I'd recommend myself, just for the sheer luck of my ammo not exploding early in, but I'll toss it to the Grif just for taking out that Dragon like a champ. That was brilliant.

As for enemies, definetly Hussar. Argh. drat him.

Edit:

Here's a picture of a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
The Griffin and that damned Hussar are the MVPs this time, hands down. Pladdicus was metal but KnoxZone utterly coring that Dragon's leg was what won us this fight.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Well played you magnificently lucky sons of bitches! And nicely done by PTN as well.

Now for a novice question. Is PTN, or any game master, bound by an rules or protocol in how certain factions play their turns? People were worried about the Hussar rabbiting a few turns back. Is that something PTN had complete freedom to do or is he limited to playing the bushido angle to the hilt in the just finished battle?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

You guys are amazingly lucky and/or good. That was one hell of a fight. I don't think anything didn't go your way!

Also, concurring - Vulcan and Hussar for MVPs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Trast posted:

Now for a novice question. Is PTN, or any game master, bound by an rules or protocol in how certain factions play their turns? People were worried about the Hussar rabbiting a few turns back. Is that something PTN had complete freedom to do or is he limited to playing the bushido angle to the hilt in the just finished battle?

The bushido and honor stuff is purely in-universe fluff for the Draconis Combine. There are no actual rules stating that you have to play them any certain way, no.

I can't decide which way to vote, seeing crazy loving Liaos will be awesome but redacted would be hella awesome too... :ohdear:

VVV: Is that an actual novel or some sort of sourcebook thing?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 1, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Wait what? Where does this happen? I thought I had all the pre-DA books! :ohdear:

It's pretty blatantly stated in Dawn of the Jihad. Waco's Battlemaster was found as a smoking wreck just meters away from Jaime Wolf's Archer, both blasted and gutted. The two died in mortal combat, killing each other with their respective last breaths. Of all the bullshit the Jihad caused, that one moment was beautiful. I was glad to see Wayne Waco hadn't just faded and been forgotten by the writers.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
My MVP votes go to the Griffin and the Kurita Dragon for doing double duty as a submarine. I can only imagine a goddamn furious Tai-i still sitting in the cockpit, unable to vent his rage because his Mech is resting at the botton of the drat river.

As for the next game, I'm voting for y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho vs the Death Commandos. Because Camacho's Cabballeros kicking Cappellans is just awesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Magni posted:

My MVP votes go to the Griffin and the Kurita Dragon for doing double duty as a submarine. I can only imagine a goddamn furious Tai-i still sitting in the cockpit, unable to vent his rage because his Mech is resting at the botton of the drat river.

As for the next game, I'm voting for y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho vs the Death Commandos. Because Camacho's Cabballeros kicking Cappellans is just awesome.

I endorse all parts of this post.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Magni posted:

I would vote for this so hard if the Caballeros were on the table. Those guys know how to have fun. :ese:

but please no Abtahka stuff

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

but please no Abtahka stuff

She's two years old. If she can ninja a battlemech at 2, then what do we need Battlemechs for?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hussar and Vulcan for me. Both good examples of what you can do with seemingly useless units in this game.

Tempest_56 posted:

It's pretty blatantly stated in Dawn of the Jihad. Waco's Battlemaster was found as a smoking wreck just meters away from Jaime Wolf's Archer, both blasted and gutted. The two died in mortal combat, killing each other with their respective last breaths. Of all the bullshit the Jihad caused, that one moment was beautiful. I was glad to see Wayne Waco hadn't just faded and been forgotten by the writers.
I loved the implication that Jaime Wolf wouldn't have died if he didn't get his Archer's foot stuck in someone else's cockpit.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

My streaky luck actually extends to those as well. I almost never roll statistically average (but with D6's, I do tend to roll slightly higher than average; It's just rare that I'll roll a 3 or 4 on the dice, even electronically).

Can you come and be my official dice roller on Sundays, then? I have a bad habit of only rolling 20s - but only when I'm rolling for bad guys making attacks on the PCs.

I've lost too many good PCs to encounters they were intended to curbstomp getting lucky. It's gotten so bad I had to actually nerf critical hits!

As for MVPs, I've got to say it was our Griffon for being :clint: enough to pick a gunslinger duel with the Dragon and win, and on their side it was that goddamned :black101: Hussar. That pilot has balls the size of BattleMechs, you should try and recruit him if at all possible.

As for the next scenario, I'd love to see more of Morgan Kell's Hounds. but, just for the funny... Hell with it, I'm voting for y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho vs the Death Commandos, :ese:.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
If we do the 17th Recon, I want to see at least one of our pilots in a Hermes II. Truly the most remarkable of battlemechs.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pladdicus posted:

The fact they don't explode (how does -that- make sense, they're BASED on combustion) also marginally helps :)
Flamers supposedly work by venting drive exhaust. Which to me sounds like it should actually reduce the heat of the mech firing it a bit rather than raise it, but hey, what do I know.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Viva Marik! Camacho's Caballeros is the only possible choice.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Flamers supposedly work by venting drive exhaust. Which to me sounds like it should actually reduce the heat of the mech firing it a bit rather than raise it, but hey, what do I know.

Best not to ask questions.

(also, best episode in Community)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Voting the Vulcan and the Hussar for MVPs.

When will we see out next vote choices Poptarts?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Agent Interrobang posted:

Viva Marik! Camacho's Caballeros is the only possible choice.

Our entire lance is gonna be 0/8 :3:

At least the Stingers can do handstands and poo poo.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Helter Skelter posted:

because venting directly from the fusion core makes the rest of the mech hotter as it travels through it and the drive core itself marginally cooler. the fluff is that the internal temp that we use for heat is that of the insides around the shielded fusion core, not the actual fusion core itself.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

It's making me picture an Atlas wearing a sombrero, in Mexican Day of the Dead paints. :D

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I think it was something along the lines of disrupting the containment bottle when you drew power from the core or something. Been ages since I've read any of the books that tried to describe the hand waving that is the fusion cores.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
My last request didn't make it. Please put me on the pilot list.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Tempest_56 posted:

Yeah, I was okay with that. There are some cool things in the Jihad era, don't get me wrong, but most of it is ridiculous. Most of the problem, in my mind, is that the Word of Blake just didn't make for a very interesting set of antagonists. Maybe that's just a failing of how the writers went about things rather than a problem with the WOB per se, but I could never see them as anything more than mustache-twirling villains given the power to gently caress up the setting the exact amount to produce the status quo of Dark Age. In Battletech...pretty much everyone's a bad person, but they're bad people with some sort of standards and/or redeeming qualities, and their bad-ness is displayed in a way that makes them human and interesting. The problem for the Word of Blake is that St. Jamais, Apollyon, and the Master are basically just bad people period, and not interesting, and only credible because of some fairly ridiculous stuff.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

It's making me picture an Atlas wearing a sombrero, in Mexican Day of the Dead paints. :D

(Wrong franchise, still awesome.)

And I'd like to also cast my vote for the 17th Recon.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Voting 17th Recon

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Y'all know we're not voting yet and you'll just have to repost this when PTN does call for a vote, right? We don't even know what the Political Event he's been darkly alluding to is. :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

Y'all know we're not voting yet and you'll just have to repost this when PTN does call for a vote, right? We don't even know what the Political Event he's been darkly alluding to is. :v:

Peace in the INNERSPHERE all mechs are being turned into Flower holders, Space Hippies everywhere! Free love to replace free ammo! expected sales of soap plumenting!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

Peace in the INNERSPHERE all mechs are being turned into Flower holders, Space Hippies everywhere! Free love to replace free ammo! expected sales of soap plumenting!

HUG MECH 3000 POWERING UP

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fraction Jackson posted:

The problem for the Word of Blake is that St. Jamais, Apollyon, and the Master Thomas Marik are basically just bad people period, and not interesting, and only credible because of some fairly ridiculous stuff.
Fixed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Clearly, the way to victory is to run circles around our enemies and punch and kick them into submission! :black101:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

HUG MECH 3000 POWERING UP

weapons include Laser light show, fireworks, and love.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Arquinsiel posted:

Fixed.

I thought about doing that and spoilering it just in case there were people who might not have caught up on that front yet. But yes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

weapons include Laser light show, fireworks, and love.

We're going back to My Little PonyMech are we?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fraction Jackson posted:

I thought about doing that and spoilering it just in case there were people who might not have caught up on that front yet. But yes.
It's only relevant for the original timeline, and it's pretty much been there since the first time they revealed the two Thomas Mariks.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Magni posted:

Clearly, the way to victory is to run circles around our enemies and punch and kick them into submission! :black101:

MegaMek seems to imply to me that physical attacks use gunnery skill, not piloting.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

We're going back to My Little PonyMech are we?

I've still got my artbitches working on that! :D

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Iridium posted:

My last request didn't make it. Please put me on the pilot list.

Same here really. I look forward to exploding gloriously from an ammo explosion after a fall from a missed pilot roll on the first turn sometime late 2011 early 2012 when we get around to me.
Unless we're talking x-com rookie survival rate on the mechwarriors in the future. :D

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 1, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

I've still got my artbitches working on that! :D

Please tell me you refer to them this way in their company. :)

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Trast posted:

Please tell me you refer to them this way in their company. :)

Well, of course. Term of endearment. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

And now I have the image of a Mech mariachi band stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

• Locked thread